Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Alternate Jerseys for VT Game?

QueenCityBuckeye's picture
September 3, 2014 at 9:49pm
40 Comments

Apparently, the team has been practicing this week using alternate helmets! Sounds pretty telling to me!

CTBuckeye's picture

This were just prototypes, but from an 11W post back in February:  http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/02/33701/phenomenal-swag-nike-concept-uniforms

I doubt they look like this, but the helmet at least is pretty sweet:

"Because we couldn't go for three"

-4 HS
SilverState's picture

This uni is a Traditionalist's worst nightmare. Lol.

+8 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

This is my worst nightmare.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+8 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I'm far from a traditionalist, I love our alt unis and I actually really love what Oregon's done the last few years.

I hate these.

They've been circulating the internet for a few years and didn't originate on 11W. They're done by some guy who makes extremely similar designs for every team in basically every sport, and they're all terrible.

The digs mocked up by GameTime on here were dirty as hell though. Can't find them right now, sadly. 

11W's own Walt Keys made some pretty incredible ones, too. Probably my favorite mockup. Especially the away unis.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

GVerrilli92's picture

Not a huge fan of these because I appreciate the black-white-red-white-black stripe that's consistent on the helmet, pants and sleeve. That stripe sequence is iconic of Ohio State football and I've grown accustomed to it on the sleeve. One day there will be an '02 throwback resembling these though. Those will look damn good bringing back the high white socks.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+1 HS
CTBuckeye's picture

Geez - getting hammered here.

I should have noted - I hate these uniforms as well (other than the black helmet).  I was just posting from an earlier 11W article with the options Nike might have been looking at for future alternate uniforms.

"Because we couldn't go for three"

route4buckeye's picture

That is awful. We are wearing the same alternates we've used for the past two seasons.

+5 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Didn't we see a post in the forums where a guy's youth booster football team designed jerseys exactly like that? Not sure if they ever made them for real, though. Either way I'm not a fan of that for buckeye football.

jamesrbrown322's picture

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

i don't ever want to see that bullshit.

HELL NO!

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

-1 HS
bethmowins's picture
+1 HS
Youngbuck85's picture

Nike make us new jerseys plz

+1 HS
bigtenspeed's picture

The regular uniforms are the best but the alternates from the last two years are nice as far as alternates go.

+3 HS
DEF D's picture

Chrome uni's? Sounds dope as shit. Chromed out mirrored helmets would be nasty. Silver jerseys? Don't tease me with the murdered out all blacks. Somebody has to have a pic. If its the same ones we've had the past few yrs I'm over it.

-1 HS
nikolajz1's picture

They will be the same one's from the last two years. 

GVerrilli92's picture

Where have you been? We've been wearing alternates for the last 5 years and the new alternates are always released at least a week before the game for merchandising sales. If we were sporting new alternates Saturday we would know about em already, because half of us would own one by now. The "Chromes" aren't a one time deal, they're the new permanent night unis.

Can't wait to wear all white against Penn State this year though, should be a great looking game in that Stadium. It'll either be the Stormtrooper look from last year's TTUN or the same look with gray pants. Our lineup of jerseys is becoming pretty sick, neither outfit is too gaudy and have a good level of distinction from each other.

As far as black goes, I'm wary. It's very easy to make black look bad real quick.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

brunstar's picture

I hope Nike makes 1919 styled jerseys for the 100th anniversary of Ohio State's first win over TTUN.

+3 HS
toad1204's picture

I hope Adidas keeps on Adidasing TTUN.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Saturday can't get here any faster and whatever we wear - we will wear it strong and VT will be looking up at us and our uniforms all night long.

GVerrilli92's picture

I just wish the numbers were white with gray trim. Still a huge fan.

CC's picture

grey trim - yuk

npilolli's picture

Don't mind alternates in the OOC games but IMO we should wear our traditional unis for all conference games...I did love the all whites we wore for the scUM game last year...

O-H-I-O!!!!

BassDropper's picture

Love the ones we will be wearing Saturday night, but the all whites we wore against Michigan is my all time favorite uniform.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/sites/default/files/styles/904x490/public/c/2014/07/37784_h_0.jpg?itok=-FxcoLnY

DIRECTIONER

+4 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

i loved the all white uni's also. they are sharp.

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

Stellar's picture

Its pretty lame that we keep just reusing the same alternate uniforms.  For a few years there we were getting new ones each year but now we just use the same ones over and over.

Those chrome ones are fine and all but they're not really that special.  They're basically just different enough to be called alternates but don't really bring anything new or different to the table. Casual viewers probably won't even notice them.

You would think we could get Nike to design some new and different ones by now.

+4 HS
mtrotb's picture

Amen to this.

mtrotb

+1 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

The helmet is awesome! IMO

Gooz-fra-bah...

-1 HS
CC's picture

False - The helmet looks like a characature of the real thing.  I'm not against alternates but I hate the stripe on the helmets, the black face mask and the green leaves.

+1 HS
LouBuck35's picture

I think they are sticking with the current alternate because it has been the least offensive/most acceptable alt uniform to the traditionalists.  It is obviously a uber modern version of our current uniforms, but it doesn't dramatically change it.  The helmets are great and I am, overall, a fan of these uniforms as a more permanent alternate.  Some of the other previous alts with tree bark undershirts or the "throwbacks" that didn't really look like throwbacks are fine once in a while, but for a big time game, under the lights, with recruits and LBJ on hand - why not go with something that we know works?

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

CC's picture

I totally agree.  I really liked the whites we wore at TSUN about 4 years ago with the numbers on the helmets, I didn't like the red ones we wore the next year but it keeps it fresh and interesting.  These are not good enough to keep around for multiple years.  I would love to see the current helmet in all chrome, same stripes and a chrome facemask.

FUqUespin's picture

... or this alternate jersey ... http://gifshost.com/1237813207_lois_boobs.webm

FUqU, e!spin!!

jamesrbrown322's picture

I really liked both of these, and wouldn't mind seeing them recycled, rather than the "Chrome" alternates -

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
CC's picture

Beat me to it...

MJB15's picture

tOSU: Throwing up the block O??? 15 yards 

Bama: throwing up the "A"... No harm no foul

CC's picture

I'm not agianst alternates, but I wish we would keep changing them.  I don't think the "Chrome" unis are that cool to keep them for years now.

I preferred these, but I wasn't sad to see them go either:

Groveport Heisman's picture

Welp it is settled we are wearing these.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Hey at least  it isn't these right?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.