Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

VT predictions

WezBuck28's picture
September 3, 2014 at 12:54pm
189 Comments

Ok..let's hear everyone's score predictions for this week, the one that guesses the final score correctly will enjoy a free monthly access to the premium lounge..

I've got the buckeyes feeding off of a straight nasty vibe from the crowd to take a 35-17 victory!

buckeyestu's picture

Buckeyes 31

VT           20

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

OSU 38, Va Tech 13.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

OSU 35

Va Tech 14

Va Tech is going to be younger than our guys.  Their d-line will be tough, but our speed on the edges will take them out of the game.  I look for Barrett to be over 200 yards passing again and somewhere around 60 yards rushing.  

+3 HS
bethmowins's picture

I stand by my prediction in the last prediction thread. OSU 28-24.

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

What is Joey Galloway's prediction?

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+8 HS
JoeAndSo's picture

are they going to be the commentators for that game?

Mercy is for the weak.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Well, Beth knows that J.D. Barnett is a natural born leader!

+17 HS
Beat Meatchicken's picture

J.T. Bennett and Michael Barrett 

+3 HS
jkrk's picture

If Rod Jones is throwing 11-second blocks, this is all Bucks.

+3 HS
d1145fresh's picture

Bucks. 38-13. That includes a special teams score on a kick return.

+3 HS
WezBuck28's picture

I like where your headed...we are loooong over due for one of those special team TD's!

InHartWeTrust's picture

I think Dontre will get us a few this year.  He's a ton of fun to watching returning the kicks and punt.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Are you suggesting that we might out Beamer-Ball Beamer?

+5 HS
Vinsaniti's picture

I was thinking maybe more of a blocked punt in the endzone. That seems to be Urban's forte

+1 HS
d1145fresh's picture

I initially was thinking a blocked punt but Va Tech is usually very sounds in the punt kick/return game. I think a kickoff is their only somewhat weakness on special teams. I am also thinking of a possible pick six but not sure about that one yet.

+1 HS
Vinsaniti's picture

I always love pick sixes. Maybe a Vonn Bell or Doran Grant pick six.

Doc's picture

42-14  Bucks

"Say my name."

+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

45 - 10 Buckeyes. 

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I've been pretty sold on a 28-20 score, good guys.  

"All I know at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+1 HS
osubux5600's picture

I'm thinking 37-20 good guys.  Va Tech scores a late TD to make it look closer than it really was.

"The Pride of the Buckeyes"

+4 HS
Butch_Driveshaft's picture

And then we'll get to read how Ohio State 'survives late rally' against VA Tech.

He owes me 260 bucks vacation pay, and he won't fuckin' pay that, so I figured a handful of chips wasn't too much to ask.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

31-13 Good guys.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
buckdubbs007's picture

I want to say another 63-38 Nebraska style beatdown, but to be more realistic I will stick with 56-10 tOSU wins.

UFM

+6 HS
WezBuck28's picture

So basically its gonna be this years Penn state beat down from last year?

buckdubbs007's picture

Nah, it will be this year's Hokie beat down from this year.

UFM

+11 HS
WezBuck28's picture

Ahhh...yes I will remember..

KansasBuckeye's picture

Not complaining, but I find it interesting that you call a 25 point win in a shootout style game a beatdown, but a 46 point margin of victory is just a win and more realistic as though you're settling for that option.  It's fun being a Buckeye fan.

+2 HS
buckdubbs007's picture

I guess it is hard to type in the sarcastic font face...

UFM

nikolajz1's picture

OSU 24 VT 21

Gonna be a close one but a pick 6 by Vonn Bell in the 4th quarter gives us the lead. 

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Ohio State: 38

VT: 18

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Justanut's picture
+1 HS
dmurder's picture

38 tOSU

7 Va TEch

2 int's due to pressure by the D-line.

4 sacks coverage downfield

bucks struggle scoring but get the ball back so many times they make up for it

"We have always had the best damn band in the land, now we have the best damn team in the land"- Jim Tressel 1-03-03

+2 HS
FairfaxBuckeye's picture

Ohio State 24 VPI 20

+2 HS
Killer nuts's picture

38-10. No flex zone

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

beat me to it

DIRECTIONER

BassDropper's picture

I have been catching up on the Hokies and reading their message boards the past couple of days to get a good read on the team...there isn't a whole lot of optimism. Buckeye defense should be outstanding in this game. Not a lot of Hokie fans have faith in their offense and they have lost 2 OL to injury in fall camp. 

38-10 Buckeyes

DIRECTIONER

+5 HS
radford hokie's picture

What message board have you been reading? After watching the O play against W&M.. and seeing some of the young guys in an actual game... I came away feeling a TON better about this year, compared to our O the past two seasons. The offense didn't record a single negative play against W&M - granted it's W&M.. so yes, take that stat with a grain of salt. The two freshman RB's have shown huge potential through out spring ball, and didn't disappoint in game 1. McKenzie was awarded ACC rookie of the week after posting a 100+ yard game on 12 carries. Another freshman, Isiah Ford recorded his first TD catch... as did Bucky Hodges. Michael Brewer threw the ball around to 10-11 different receivers... bottom line for me - I came away feeling 10x better after that game. I expect OSU to be HUGE step up in competition.. it'll be interesting to see how the VT O reacts in that atmosphere. 28 pt spread? The only way that happens if VT goes in and has multiple turnovers..

Turnovers can go both ways... VT has a pretty decent defense, and one of the better D coordinators in college football.

radford hokie

+4 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Fact of the matter is that it was still William and Mary.  Week 1 contests are no a good measuring tool for future success.  The same can be said of the Buckeyes as well.

This weekend will certainly tell each team where they should end up this season, IMO.

+1 HS
radford hokie's picture

I agree, most week 1 contests offer little in terms of long term team success... for VT though, starting a new QB, playing roughly 10-11 true freshman.. it was at the very least a peak into their potential and if you have watched our offense the past two seasons, it was enough to say very loudly that we have made big strides on that side of the ball. Last year, the offense was Logan Thomas and whatever he could do.. not so much this year.

Biggest question marks for VT - IMO anyway... OL play. Week 1 - they played well. In the red zone, they need to improve. Marshawn Williams had one TD run inside the 5 called back for a penalty.. can't settle for FG's against better competition.

2nd question mark for me.. is DL depth. the 1st team DL is good, undersized, but very athletic with guys who can make plays off the edge. Maddy in the middle is a man. 2nd group has to be more productive.

radford hokie

+1 HS
Gametime's picture

Welcome to 11W Hokie! Much respect for your team & program, but I see you guys swaying between optimism to pull out an upset and straight up dread. 

When looking at what Navy did, I mean you're talking 6 OL, 2 SB, 1 RB, 1 FB, & the QB. It was essentially a heavy set running all day. I don't like how we approached it overall (I would've liked to see a 4-4 look against Navy), but I think the key to this battle will be in the trenches. Your front seven is quick, but they are SMALL. Your DL shapes up at 245lbs, 218lbs, 257lbs, & 291lbs. Your LBs are 207lbs, 215lbs, & 221lbs respectively.

Our smallest OL is 285lbs...the rest: 300lbs, 305lbs, 307lbs, 315lbs. Our WRs & RBs weigh as much as your LBs do... I will be very surprised if VA Tech doesn't wear down later in the game. If you get behind early...it could get UCLA ugly...

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+3 HS
radford hokie's picture

Dread.... really? Not from my perspective - great opportunity for VT. Lot of people in the media might be down on the program after two sub par years but that's not the feeling from the people within the program.

Dadi Nicolas is closer to the 230-235lb range.. but yes, undersized DL. Corey Marshall is a beast at DT... he may be 'only' 262lbs.. but he's a big boy. Either way, VT does play other teams believe it or not, that have big OL's. It's all relative. If VT's O is unable to make progress on offense and the D is on the field all game, it's going to be an issue. It's not often though, that I worry about the defense that VT puts on the field.

On the flip side, in passing situations... OSU fans have to hope those big tackle's can handle Nicholas off the edge - quick is an understatement.

radford hokie

Gametime's picture

Yea, it was a very small sample size, but some of the more pessimistic fans weren't impressed with the win over W&M and seemed to be hoping to stay within 2-3 scores, that is, up until Braxton got hurt, and after the Navy game, which saw a drastic swing in optimism. I've seen predictions in two ways - a tight game with a VT upset or a blowout for OSU. Meh, I would never underestimate a Beamer team, but that UCLA game lingers in my mind a bit...

I think they will make things really difficult on J.T. on passing downs if OSU fails to get the ball out quickly. I actually think the OTs will be fine. I'm actually more concerned about Marshall than I am Nicolas. A-Gap pressure is what can really make or break a passing game, but Nicolas is baller. He reminds of Bruce Irvin a lil bit. I also think Fuller will have a feast or famine type of game in coverage too. I predict he gets a big INT or he gets burned for a long TD (maybe both). 

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+3 HS
bucks4nuts's picture

Score Rad? 

"To The House"

bucks4nuts's picture

Fine VT played a great opponent in bill and Mary.. They crushed em! 

"To The House"

Rob Reese's picture

Welcome.

Thanks for chiming in and adding to this thread from the enemy's perspective.  You'll find people here are pretty congenial to fans from other programs -- as long as you deny and disavow M*chigan as a state.

InHartWeTrust's picture

Stopped reading when I saw you were taking things you saw against William & Mary as relevant bases for projecting against tOSU.

+4 HS
CC's picture

But Lou Holtz used to be their coach, so there's that...

radford hokie's picture

Not projecting what should happen in this upcoming game based on what I saw against W&M... Having said that, we've only played one game this year, not sure how else to judge a team - going back to last year isn't relevant for this Hokie team.. too many new players especially on the offensive side of the ball. 

radford hokie

MichiganBuckeye222's picture

"William and Mary"

okee Hokee.

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

Sgt. Elias's picture

Welcome to the boards RH! 

"Okay -- I've got an El Camino full of rampage here." 

zeversole's picture

Wish i could upvote this! Props to going out there and researching their message board. I may just steal this tactic from you :)

ab1993's picture

31-10

Class of '16

+1 HS
osu_killernuts's picture

28-13 Ohio State win.

Ohio State looks shaky in the first half and heads to the locker room down 13-7.  Ohio State is a different team in the 2nd half with the defense imposing their will on the DL while the offense makes necessary adjustments at halftime and open it up in the second half.

Hate is a strong word.  I hate ESecPN almost as much as I hate the whole SEC conference which is a close second to TTUN.

+4 HS
Vinsaniti's picture

45-17 Good guys. The D line is too dominant for their line and QB. The secondary is much reformed and has 3 picks. JT4 has passing 3TD's and throws for just south of 300, EzE runs for over 100 adds 2 TD's, Das Boot makes a long kick early to spark the offense.

+2 HS
TMac's picture

42-17 Buckeyes

+1 HS
ek68's picture

31-13  OSU

+1 HS
Bucks1's picture

OSU 31 VT 24 Go Bucks!

"I will pound you and pound you until you quit." - Woody Hayes

Ahh Saturday's picture

OSU 23-13. 

Buckeyes struggle on the O-line and have trouble converting in the red zone, but VT can do even less with the ball. Silver Bullets lead the way to the W.

AkronBuckeye13's picture

33-14 Bucks roll, it's 33-7 mostly through the 4th quarter then VT scores a TD in garbage time.

+1 HS
DCBuckeye33's picture

21-17  buckeyes.

GO BUCKS

apack614's picture

42-10 Bucks

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture
+1 HS
BigZ's picture
+2 HS
ChillitownBuck30's picture

48-24 Buckeyes....and we score a special teams TD ;)

“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.”

+1 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

45-16 OSU

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

35 to 14 Buckeyes.

+2 HS
Kid Buckeye's picture

BUCKS 23

VT  13

still lacking the BIG back and OLine to get in the endzone.

3 FGs

+2 HS
ANCHORSAWEIGH330's picture

38-17 buckeyes drop in the polls again due to slow start

Dgjr

+4 HS
OH1O State's picture

OSU - 27

VT - 24

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

My buck's picture

31 to 21, Bucks. 

It ain't pretty, but we pull it out. 

HilltopHustle's picture

Same as last week before Navy, where are these 40+ point game predictions stemming from? Have we been that spoiled with Meyer? How soon we forget, I guess. I don't see how we throw 40 on Bud Foster, and maybe we just didn't watch the same game last week.

This is going to be a chess match that we win by 10 points max. Thinking 27-17.

+2 HS
buckdubbs007's picture

I think that alot of people, myself included, are thinking that we will be getting a hefty dose of defensive and even special teams points in this one.

UFM

+3 HS
radford hokie's picture

what's behind the 'hefty does of defensive and even special teams points'?

VT doesn't appear to be a team prone to turning the ball over - especially with Brewer at QB. The INT last week came after the pass was tipped at the line of scrimmage - his read on that play though was perfect according to Loeffler. Looking at his past stats, INTs are few and far between.

As for special teams play - after a somewhat lackluster year in the return and coverage teams.. Beamer made it a point to add more of his starters to those teams.

radford hokie

-1 HS
buckdubbs007's picture

Dude... you played william and freaking mary.  I enjoy your enthusiasm but I still think we are going to beat the f*ck out of you.  Have fun.

UFM

+2 HS
radford hokie's picture

Just asking what's behind all of the 'defensive and special teams scores'? I think, given VT's defensive backfield.. and OSU starting a RS Freshman QB.. his first start on a big stage.. VT is likely to be the one making big plays on defense.

I could say the same thing about OSU playing Navy.. and actually trailing that game into the 3rd qtr. Do you not think VT boasts a MUCH better defense than what Navy put on the field, or has better athletes on the offensive side of the ball? If not, you're mistaken.

radford hokie

-1 HS
buckdubbs007's picture

So you join an Ohio State forum to roam around and troll it's members posts... that's cute.  I can't wait to make you eat the [Mark May] out of your words Sunday morning.  GO BUCKEYES!

UFM

+1 HS
radford hokie's picture

hah! not trolling around... just asked a question and haven't said the first negative thing about OSU. it's whatever though... I get that this is an OSU board and obviously the picks etc are going to go OSUs way. It's somewhat comical to see the VT is going to get blasted posts though.

radford hokie

+1 HS
buckdubbs007's picture

Comical... until its not after it materializes into reality.  :)  Good luck with that.

UFM

+2 HS
WezBuck28's picture

Tell us your score prediction, Radford hokie..how do you see this game going?

radford hokie's picture

I think it's a toss up really..

I think Foster is going to throw all he can at Barrett and try to force him into some mistakes. My guess is, VT will put a lot of guys in the box to try and limit the run game... leaving Fuller/Facyson/etc to hold down the defensive backfield.

I'd like to see VT's Ronny VanDyke back out there this week.. he's a big time playmaker when 100% healthy, and would likely be a huge asset in TE coverage.

For VT to win though, the O needs to build on more of what we saw last week.. which was an effective ground game, and Brewer being really efficient thru the air. If the VT O stalls, that will likely catch up to the D later in the game. I think our 'undersized' D is fine - unless they are just on the field way too much.

For OSU fans... I'd watch both of the VT TE's.. Bucky Hodges #7 and Ryan Malleck #88, they are essentially Michael Brewer's security blankets. Hodges iespecially has huge potential.

Anyway, my prediction is a tight game that could go either way. I think the surprise of the game though... is how effective the VT O ends up being. VT pulls out a W by 7.... 24-17.

radford hokie

WezBuck28's picture

I'll give you an UV for your opinion, but I don't think I'm gonna agree..don't sleep on the fact that Barrett is a rs freshman with only one college game under his belt.. It may be close in the first half, but the second half is usually when the buckeyes take control of the game, and run away with it, simply because of their ability to rotate so much talent in and out, plus the fact that these guys have a tremendous conditioning program..

radford hokie's picture

No worries - I didn't expect many to agree. I don't think the talent gap is THAT significant though... it's not like VT is an FCS level school with 20 fewer scholarships. VT plays some very talented teams. Miami, Clemson are probably on par with the types of recruiting classes OSU pulls in on a yearly basis.

radford hokie

-4 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Clemson sure, but Miami...really?

Also, are you surprised, as a Va. Tech fan, how little the national media cares about this game? I am a little disappointed in how little attention the game is receiving, especially as ESPN's primetime game.  It seems that most think that Va. Tech will hang in there, but ultimately, OSU will pull away.

radford hokie's picture

Miami gets the talent... they just can't put it together on the field. I thought Al Golden might get them turned around, but... based on their game last weekend, they might actually have a hard time getting out of the basement in the ACC Coastal Division.

I am somewhat surprised, especially since its OSU - and a primetime start.. that it isn't getting more attention. Having said that, after the past 2 sub par years at VT that's been somewhat the norm for our games. I think next year, expectations for both schools.. especially for VT considering were not even mentioned in Top 25 talk at this point.. will be higher, and will create more of a buzz nationally.

radford hokie

VTfreefall's picture

I think it's a reflection on how VT has performed the last couple years specifically, and for the last decade in general.  I still remember when we got no respect back in the mid-90s (I hated Lee Corso then for never giving us any damned credit!), up until we beat the 'sips in the '95 Sugar Bowl.  Suddenly we were on everyone's radar and started getting lots of media love.  It peaked during the '99 season when we played F$U for the MNC.  ESPN talked about VT, Michael Vick, Beamer Ball, and Lane Stadium, and well, we deserved it, because the product on the field was pretty damned compelling.  But after MV1 left, we were like a rich family whose patriarch died.  The decline wasn't immediately obvious, but it had started. In particular, our (now former) OC was promoted at the conclusion of the 2001 season and our "lost decade" on offense began.  Over that 10+ year span, VT earned a reputation as a team that won a lot but consistently came up short in big-time games, especially OOC.  And even though we won several of them (swept home-and-homes with aTm and Nebraska, split with LSU) it was the losses that stuck out: LSU in '07, Kansas in the '08 Orange Bowl, 'bama in '09, boyzee in '10, Stanford in the '11 Orange Bowl, mcchicken in the '12 Sugar Bowl, etc.  Add in some tough conference losses and a couple of truly embarrassing performances like losing to 1AA JMU in '10, and it's no wonder that we're no longer one of ESPN's darlings.  In many ways it wasn't so much that we lost as how we lost.  Consider this: from 2004-08, we had the #3, #3, and #1, #2, and #13 ranked defensive unit in the country.  Our offensive rankings those years?  #65, #57, #99, #100, and #103.  Hell, even in B1G country no one wants to watch that kind of offensive ineptitude! :-)

So now we're in a position where we have to earn our way back in.  Hopefully we'll get a huge boost in that department tomorrow night, but until we do, it's reasonable for ESPN and opposing fans to assume that once again, VT will show up with a great defense and play hard, but ultimately come up short.

"Those who jump into the void owe no explanation to those who stand and watch."

Bucksfan70's picture

OSU - 63

VT - 13

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

+2 HS
toad1204's picture

31-17

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
BoFuquel's picture

The-2  Them-0

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Dayton Buckeye's picture

24-17 VT has a good defense.  I think we win the turnover battle and win a close one.

HotSauceCommittee's picture

My guess is 23 - 13. Both teams ram into each other for 4 quarters on a rain soaked field. We get TDs on runs by Zeke and a touch pass sweep to Marshall near the goal line.

Dear Sweet Baby Jesus - please dont let it rain. I dont want to stand in a sweaty, rain-soaked poncho for 4 hours.

HotSauceCommittee's picture

Ahh Saturday beat me to my guess. I will amend to 23-12. VT misses a two-point conversion attempt.

WezBuck28's picture

Just a thought here...if your sweaty under your poncho, why have the poncho on?

+1 HS
braneli's picture

38 - 24, O-H-I-O!!!

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

Groveport Heisman's picture

45-10 Silver Bullets are back in full force. Early statement game with the biggest recruiting weekend of the year.

I expect to see Cardale in some form or fashion wither short yardage or late game

I expect to see our defense finally resemble a JT led defense and create multiple TO's

I expect a defensive or special teams TD

I think we see several huge plays from the youngsters. Wilson,Samuel,Marshall,EzE,Barrett.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I have a feeling you may be right.  

+1 HS
Jugdish's picture

28 Bucks

14 VT

Remember to get your wolverine spade or neutered. TBDBITL

+1 HS
SwnsnGody's picture

38 - 24 Buckeyes

"We determine when the team taps out" - Urban Meyer

+1 HS
braneli's picture

I fear I've beat you to this number set. :)

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

+1 HS
CC's picture

41-14 obviously Bucks.

+2 HS
DCBuckeye33's picture

Man, I hate this damn score. Couldn't you say 42-14 or 41-13 or something? I could go a lifetime without seeing 41-14 and it wouldn't be enough. 

GO BUCKS

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

Players are pissed off about the drop in the polls and carry momentum from second half of the Navy game, and put it on VT.

OSU 38

VT 10

+2 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

24-9 Buckeyes. Pick Six for our D.

+1 HS
bucks4nuts's picture

Buckeyes 31

VT 21

VT scores late

"To The House"

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

17-16 OSU. Late DasBoot FG

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

BuckeyeNut2012's picture

I'm thinking an 18 point win.

31 - 13 Ohio State. GO BUCKS!

BartGK's picture

Red Zone finishing is a concern for the OSU. 30 - 24 OSU wins. Not sold on new D till I see it actually dominate.

BartGK

Bmore Buckeye's picture

Home team   42

Visitors   21

It'll be a close first half, but the Bucks blow it open in the second half.

To whom much is given, much is expected.

+1 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

OSU 41

VT     7

+2 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Buckeyes 31-16

Class of 2010.

Dread's picture

52 - 0 for the good guys

+1 HS
SHAKENBAKE68's picture

45-13 Buckeyes!

Go Bucks!!

There is no such thing as "friendly fire"..

+1 HS
You can't spell chump without UM's picture

Bucks: 724

VT: -13

They hit them so hard that they knock the Hokies back into the negatives.

Brady Hoke ate my comment

+2 HS
Buckeytrips's picture

+1 for making me laugh at 1:37 in the morning. Oh, I almost forgot Suckitagain still sucks.

OSU - 34   VT - 14

TheAFBuckeye's picture

48-17 Buckeyes!

Let's Go BUCKEYES!!!!!

+1 HS
BEREABUCKEYE's picture

45 - 24 buckeyes win easily

+2 HS
Daddypete's picture

Buckeyes find their mojo late...OSU 26 Va Tech 23

"Stand and Deliver!"

TURD_BUCKET's picture

The good guys win 35 - 10

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.”

Zach2786's picture

The last 2 night games I've been at the shoe (Nebraska and penn state) the buckeyes hung 63 each game. I'll be there Saturday so I'm gonna hope the buckeyes continue that streak! Lol. 

In all seriousness, VaTech brings a solid D but I think the buckeyes put up some points. 

OSU 34

VaTech 13

InTressITrust's picture

If they put up 63 points again we are going to need to start a fund to send you to every game.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
Zach2786's picture

Haha! If they put up 63 I'll never miss another night game at ohio stadium as long as I live lol

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

23-20 good guys. Das Boot hits a game winner to end it. Close defensive game with some turnovers.

I'm standing by my prediction that we really don't blow anyone out besides Kent State and Illinois. This will be a 2002 type season, nerve racking until the last second, then jubilation.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

Poison nuts's picture

41-21 Bucks.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

npilolli's picture

tOSU38 - VT 21

O-H-I-O!!!!

TheToledoBuckeye's picture

Bucks: 45

Hokies: 14

"Buckeye, born and bred" - Cris Carter

+1 HS
southbay's picture

20-14 Buckeyes...isn't Beamer Ball a lot like Tressel Ball?  Or vice versa?

Hoody Wayes's picture

Ohio State 24 VT 10

js2378's picture

Isn't it going to rain? 24-17 OSU.

Jabba1977's picture

Osu 28-21.

SECHATER77

thowen79's picture

What's up with the serial downvoter? So you don't think we'll score 40, it's not a reason to downvote everyone who thinks we will. Pathetic! Upvotes for everyone predicting good guys scoring more than 40.

GOSU's picture

17-13 OSU Buckeys

e135800's picture

I'm taking the under at 47 for sure. 

BuckeyeTrappedInSouth's picture

27-6 Buckeyes win big!!

In Urban We Trust

zeversole's picture

42-14 Buckeyes. I think Barrett settles into a nice little comfy embrace at home and the defense shuts out in the second half. Wilson and Samuel both with 100 yard games and a pair of TD's 

+1 HS
Jcbraun's picture

38 - 13 good guys. I won't be surprised if it is a nail bitter at half, just like in the Navy game.

Corvas's picture

21-10 Ohio State.

MadDogMike's picture

tOSU, 63, VT, 3.....I had a dream, O-K ?????????????????....Any down votes and I'm burning my tie-dyed BVD's....

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

OSU 38

VA Tech 13

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

bucks4nuts's picture

Does OSU throw VT a wrench and come out with different formations ? I doubt it

"To The House"

VTfreefall's picture

My brain says otherwise but my heart says VT pulls off the upset: VT 29 OSU 27.  Fifth FG of the night from 55 as time expires FTW!

"Those who jump into the void owe no explanation to those who stand and watch."

Rob Reese's picture

Give them credit, SL.  They come in peace bearing wonderful fiction.

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

31-17 Buckeyes

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

RunEddieRun1983's picture

38-20 Ohio State with Barrett getting three TD's through the air, one to Devin Smith, one to Jalin Marshall and one to Dontre.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

27-20 good guys

Go Bucks!

FUqUespin's picture
VT

VT OC Scot Loeffler 

FUqUespin's picture

VT TE Bucky Hodges

FUqUespin's picture

1. Can the Hokies handle the Horseshoe?

When Virginia Tech takes the field Saturday night it will be in front of the largest crowd in program history. Ohio State's official website lists the capacity of Ohio stadium at 104,944. They have an all-time record there of 373-104-20. It's a tough environment. The Hokies will be utilizing the video board and PA system in Lane Stadium this week to simulate crowd noise. Tech will have silent signals but the environment will certainly be a challenge, especially with the number of freshman that will see significant playing time.

http://www.gobblercountry.com/2014/9/4/6100553/virginia-tech-football-five-burning-questions-ohio-state-edition

FUqUespin's picture

2. How will JT Barrett fare against Bud Foster's defense?

Freshman quarterbacks don't traditionally do much against Bud Foster's lunch pail crew. This isn't your typical freshman though. After a redshirt season, the big, mobile quarterback is short on game experience but makes up for a lot of that with pure talent. As Frank Beamer mentioned recently, compared to Braxton Miller, "It's kind of the same guy." Tech will need to find a way to keep him in the pocket to avoid getting gouged by big QB runs (think Maryland last season). Gap discipline along the defensive line will be crucial.

http://www.gobblercountry.com/2014/9/4/6100553/virginia-tech-football-five-burning-questions-ohio-state-edition

FUqUespin's picture

3. Can Tech fix the goalline woes?

The Hokie offense was cruising in the opener, but when the unit was on the goalline things ground to a halt. I'm optimistically sticking to the idea that Tech was reluctant to show the team's best goalline plays in the opener. There were two fade routes to Bucky Hodges, but everyone has that play in the bag. Something tells me there are a number of passing plays utilizing the tight ends in close, not just the walking mismatch of Bucky lined up outside. Plus, J.C. Coleman won't be the lead back which means he won't be in on those situations anymore which was bizarre to start with. Look for more Marshawn Williams.

FUqUespin's picture

4. Will the Hokies avoid the big game special teams disasters?

There are plenty of examples over the years of Frank Beamer's prized unit making terrible plays in big games. We all remember Danny Coale's failed fake punt against Michigan or the litany of mistakes in the 2000 national championship game against Florida State. Tech simply can't allow any blocked kicks or big returns and expect to be within two touchdowns at the end of the game. On the other hand, if the Hokies could find a way to block one or get a big return, that's the kind of thing to make Ohio Stadium silent and tell the nation that Beamer Ball is back with a vengeance.

FUqUespin's picture

5. Is this a program turning point?

If the Hokies lose, no one will think twice nationally. It's what was supposed to happen. But if Tech can sneak out of Columbus with a win, the perception will start to swing back towards Virginia Tech being a program of note on the national stage. The past two seasons have hampered that image and put some tarnish on the impressive career of Frank Beamer. Beamer has never been known as a big game coach based on his poor record against top ten teams, but no one wants to change that more than him.

FUqUespin's picture

Virginia Tech Football: The Blue Print For Beating The Buckeye Defense

[The youtube clip references Clemson and The Orange Bowl - That was last year, This is this year]

http://www.gobblercountry.com/2014/9/5/6109341/virginia-tech-hokies-football-how-to-beat-the-ohio-state-buckeyes-with-the-offense

FUqUespin's picture

Virginia Tech Football Recruiting: Battle Between The Hokies And Buckeyes Could Extend To Recruiting

http://www.gobblercountry.com/2014/9/5/6108393/virginia-tech-hokies-football-recruiting-news-josh-sweat-kevin-toliver

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

63-14.. o wait

Buckeye fan from PA