Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Hokie-Pokie Fun at OSU

Barnsey69's picture
September 3, 2014 at 11:51am
47 Comments

Found this on the Va Tech fan-site. I believe this site is their 11W equivalent, in purpose only of course. 

http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2014/september/3/foerensics-ohio-state-university

Somebody needs to clue the author in regarding the better eateries around Columbus...on second thought, only recommend places that do not require the use of eating utensils.

And I must admit, the picture of a bride in handcuffs at a cemetery is pretty good stuff.

703Buckeye's picture

7. Seriously? He punched a Clemson player?

A. Yup. Don't we wish we all could.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+7 HS
Barnsey69's picture

Yeah, that was a good one as well.

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

AndyVance's picture

...referring to Woody Hayes as "the original Hatin' Ass Spurrier" cracked me up a little.

+1 HS
fontanabuck's picture

Anyone who references the Wu Tang Clan is alright in my book.

+5 HS
evantosu30's picture

Been poking around that site today and I have to say they are very confident that they will win this game. Seems they believe we wont be able to score on their vaunted defense. Hope we shut them up quick

+3 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Points are going to be at a premium.

Read my entire screen name....

+3 HS
BuckeyeRealist13's picture

If Braxton were Ohio State's QB, I would laugh at Va Tech fans for being so confident. The fact that it is Barrett's second career start behind a OLine that struggled last week, I can't blame them. If I were Va Tech I would be confident as well (in the sense that being a homer always makes you more confident than you should be)

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

teddyballgame's picture

Good stuff.  I particularly liked:

freshman linebacker Raekwon McMillan will be hoping to see the field, and Urban Meyer has high hopes to sign his younger brothers Shaolin, Inspectah, and Ghostface.

+7 HS
FitzBuck's picture

I liked it.  Funny...but not as funny as the beating they will receive Saturday.

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+4 HS
apack614's picture

Does DJ have a twin brother that is a Hokies fan?

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+9 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

funny poke with the "An Ohio State University" instead of THE 

+6 HS
sbentz4's picture

Funny to see "behind enemy lines."

saluki2007's picture

I got a good chuckle out of it.

+1 HS
osu_killernuts's picture

I hope can't wait to see the defense get unleashed this week and have their ears pinned back in attack mode.  Then I want to hear any VT fan say "this defense wasn't that good against Navy, WTF?"

I think the Navy game boosted their hope, while giving some Buckeye backers doubts.  If the defense looks as good on the field as they do on paper.....come on Saturday night - get here, FASTER!!

Hate is a strong word.  I hate ESecPN almost as much as I hate the whole SEC conference which is a close second to TTUN.

-1 HS
NavyEMC's picture

To be fair, we've been playing Georgia Tech every year since Paul Johnson got there, and one of the few teams that's really had them figured out. I guess we should give you more than a year to get used to Navy.  But beyond Navy, we were already hearing your secondary was "suspect".  It's not so much our offense that we have confidence in, is our defense versus anybody's offense, particularly young OLs and first year QBs.  

You don't understand; even against Bill & Mary, the accuracy and ball protection by the our QB & WR is almost palpable compared to previous years.   If the Hokie offense is even average, our Hokie defense should more than keep us in this game.

WezBuck28's picture

"OHOI"...that's actually kinda funny...

+2 HS
braneli's picture

I had a few chuckles at this. :)

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

8. SERIOUSLY. Do they have an intimidating mascot, like an angry sheep or a Harry Potter mythological creature?

A. To commemorate the origins of the school, they adopted the buckeye as their mascot. They have a guy who dresses up as an angry looking poisonous nut and they named him Brutus which is supposed to be super intimidating, so please act at least mildly annoyed if you see him.

Any school that pimps a castrated, maroon turkey on the sidelines as it's official mascot has zero business playing the Rate-a-Mascot game.  Zero.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+10 HS
FitzBuck's picture

I ate a Hoke once....it tasted like chicken.

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I caught a Hokie once.  I needed Amoxicillin 1000 mg twice daily for 10 days.

+1 HS
J.Mo's picture

Would think a Hoke taste like a mixture of Krispy Kreme and hot dogs.

FitzBuck's picture

Damn auto correct.  

OSU_ALUM_05's picture
+3 HS
osu_killernuts's picture

Seems like a good fan base for VT, much better than dealing with Wisky or TTUN fans.

Hate is a strong word.  I hate ESecPN almost as much as I hate the whole SEC conference which is a close second to TTUN.

+2 HS
Barnsey69's picture

Agree 1000%

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

Barnsey69's picture

There is another thread on the site that dissects Barrett's performance, and the comments eventually trend towards an overall analysis of the 370 yards that Navy racked up on the ground, and whether or not our defense sucks or Navy got lucky with their scheme. Some pretty sensible fans admitting that rushing the ball 63 times in that formation is going to net yardage. Of course, those same posters almost always predict a Hokie victory this weekend, but it's Hokie site, so to be expected.

kiester's picture

Of course, those same posters almost always predict a Hokie victory this weekend, but it's Hokie site, so to be expected.

I read through a few of their threads, including the one you mentioned... they are really a confident bunch that are convinced that they are going to win Saturday. Amazing what a win over a terrible D1 team will do to fan bases psyche. 

+2 HS
QueenCityBuckeye's picture

That's the thing that kept bugging me about the comments. I think some of them need to be reminded that they played an FCS team... 

Example: "we'd also have to think based on last weeks performance that VT won't be throwing pick 6s and committing multiple turnovers.. giving our D a chance with a full field behind them.... it's hard to compare stats from one year to the next"

Dude, you played William and Mary School for the Blind. Let's be real. 

NavyEMC's picture

Hello Buckeyes, good luck to you, but I have to chime in here.

Our confidence really has nothing to do with our performance against FCS.  We have a pretty large sample size with the defense going back over a decade.  All this FCS matchup (with one of the top D-lines at their level) did was allow us to breathe a little with our new QB and skill positions on offense.  We don't need to see much; like your improvement over the course of the Navy game, just the fact that the ball wasn't turned over and no sacks were allowed is significant for us compared to the last few years, regardless of opponent.

No, our strength is on the defensive side, and we didn't need this FCS game to be confident.  What really helped, unfortunately, is Braxton Miller's injury, young OL, and shortage of receivers.  I'm glad his surgery went well, hope to see him in Blacksburg for a night game next year.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I'm sorry did you say tOSU has a shortage of WR's? I think you might want to recheck on that one.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Well done sir.  I applaud good humor even at my/our expense.  In fact I encourage good humor regardless of the target.

+1 HS
doofenshmirtz's picture

I agree 100% about the humor except when food is concerned.  They really should have stopped the humor and given good, true, solid facts about eating in Columbus cause that's just what good, true, solid folks do no matter what.

What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

As I've been to Columbus once I can't comment on food, but I think the article was for humor purposes only not humor and actual "go here when in town".

+1 HS
OurHonorDefend09's picture

I didn't really have an excuse to blindly hate VT, so this article (and laughs) are much appreciated. Now I hope we win by 40.

Don't give up... Don't ever give up.

Bucks1's picture

I work in NVA and was surprised when talking to a Hokie fan who said they will certainly win...#SOUNDSHOKIE. But that's why the game is played. Can't wait!

"I will pound you and pound you until you quit." - Woody Hayes

CC's picture

The guys at the Key Play are very confident.  I'm not sure if they got cocky from their 30 point win over W&M or if they are always that way.

buckeyes7222's picture

BassDropper needs to get to work on that forum

+3 HS
toad1204's picture

Thought Bass only did recruiting things....

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

Rob Reese's picture

Columbus.

^^ Just in case our friendly "Hokies" need more fodder about Columbus.^^

Barnsey69's picture

I have a pending registration...I'll keep it clean if they deem me worthy. 

danavh4's picture

Very funny.  What's funnier is....they have no idea what they are up against.  Go Bucks!

buckguyfan1's picture

Would have been nice to have added a team like VT to the B1G.  They seem like my kind of fans. 

+1 HS
LeftCoastBuck's picture

Blacksburg's population would easily fit into the 'Shoe on a football Saturday; on the visitors side. The University is so far in the middle of nowhere that their "Corp of Cadets" still think that the "War between the States" is going on and their uniforms look like they are longing for the spirit of Robert E. Lee to save them from those damn Yankees again. The VA Tech Cadets took the time to learn how to pin more bling onto their uniforms than Sasha Baron Cohen in "The Dictator"...its too bad they never learned that Lee got his a** kicked by an Ohio boy (Grant) back then and that history always repeats itself. VA Tech struck me as Texas A&M without all of the Texas rednecks....they enrolled Southern rednecks instead. Even the hillbillies of West Virginia (which is just a lil ol way down the road) are glad there is a forest keeping the Blacksburgians (or whatever they call themselves) from coming north over their shared border. And that Turkey-wannabe "Hokiebird" mascot of theirs looks like he has the same diet as the Hokie from Ann Arbor: donuts and brats.

"Have a Coke and a smile!.....along with $150 in UM football tickets"

+1 HS
BuckeyeCrusdader's picture

I laughed throughout the whole thing. Good humor there. I think they'll realize they're in deep trouble when OSU takes the field, no one gives a **** about text brutus at a night game, 'Shoe gonna be rockin. 

VA Hokie's picture

Hey guys, thanks for adding me to the site

I'm glad most of you found humor in the article, that was it's intended purpose. Also, many VT fans may be slightly overexcited about last weeks performance, but it is one of the rare times in the past few years that the VT offense actually looked like an offense.. of course the criticism is that it was only a FCS school, but it was only last year when a VT QB threw 2 INTs against a FCS school (this was not the only game in which he threw 2 picks vs a FCS school btw), so you'd have to understand how bad it's been in Blacksburg the last few years to appreciate the optimism now. 

+2 HS
countrybuckeye's picture

Welcome.  I read your fans comments, and they seem happy and excited -- and your shedding the light on "why" makes sense to me.

Enjoy our hospitality on Saturday night in The 'Shoe!

"Momma told me there would be days like this."

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

That was your blog/thread/story/article then?  +1 for effort.  See you Saturday at the Shoe.  And I hope to hear your take afterwards right here, win or lose.