Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

I just found two bowl wins against SEC teams?

11UrbzAndSpices's picture
September 3, 2014 at 10:58am
29 Comments
Hovenaut's picture

Throwing in that 2011 Sugar Bowl as well.

+13 HS
DudeNick4's picture

Right? I remember that game being played... and then ESPN reminded us repeatedly that the game in fact hadn't been played, and then I saw Bobby Petrino in a neck brace wearing a 2011 Sugar Bowl hat.  I remember being so confused by that, because everyone was so certain that game never happened.  WHERE DID HE GET THAT HAT???

+6 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Maybe Petrino got the hat from a United Nations humanitarian aid truck in Zambia. The hat looks great with his Ohio State 1999 BCS Champions t-shirt.   

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

The downvote came from Mark Emmert.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+6 HS
Hovenaut's picture

He owes me.

Welcome back btw.

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I didn't think anyone noticed. DX

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
buckdubbs007's picture

Yep. It happened.  I even have the game capture saved to prove that we were the Sugar Bowl Champions :)

buckdubbs007
+1 HS
fontanabuck's picture
I'm counting them.
+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Our current senior class was born 6 years after that Cotton Bowl win. They were 5 or 6 years old during that Sugar Bowl win.

This isn't even a remotely relevant statistic.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+7 HS
toad1204's picture

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
rock flag and eagle's picture

Right...So, I guess Michigan never lost to an FCS opponent because Appalachian State isn't an FCS team now.  Don't dig too deep for bragging rights.  It's not worth it. 

I don't believe we've communicated before. Don't take anything I say too seriously. Actually, don't take anything I say seriously. If you ever see me post something, it's probably a waste of time to read it.

+2 HS
jedkat's picture

TL;DR

"I was tired of trying to work my way around the back, so I just ran him over"

~ Joey Bosa

+1 HS

Yes

GoBucks713's picture

Scoreboard

-The Aristocrats!

osu_killernuts's picture

Ohio State beat Arkansas?  When? That was pre-Bert so it doesn't count either, even if the game did actually exist in some black hole at some point in time.

Hate is a strong word.  I hate ESecPN almost as much as I hate the whole SEC conference which is a close second to TTUN.

seafus26's picture

I was at both games vs TX A&M.  I regard them as they most annoying fan base, I've encountered. However, I think the Aggies had the recruitting prowess of a Southwest Conference team the year they ran into Chris Speilman, and slithered into the Sugar Bowl as a little thought of Big 12 member in '99. I'd like to call those victories over an SEC opponent, but they weren't playing an opponent with SEC resources, then.  I was also at that Sugar Bowl vs Arkansas.  Now, That win should count.  We tried to suspend the players for that game.  The NCAA stepped in and declarred them eligible in fear of hurting tickets sales. I don't know what they were worried about, the Bucks in New Orleans in January, I'm going every time.

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

/r/cfb had a thread asking who the weirdest fanbase was, and the answer was overwhelmingly Texas A&M.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
seafus26's picture

I believe it.  The standing all game is one thing.  They do some weird "whoop" call as they point and hand gesture towards you that makes to look like some sort of shotting of a gun with 2 hands, while yelling "WHOOP!" My father is not a man that says many cuss words and rarely gets angry at strangers (at least to their face). But they kept doing that shit and leaning into him yelling and doing this motion.  He finally, pushed the drunken college kid away yelled while pointing at the display in the SuperDome, "Scoreboard, mother****er!!" I never saw that many fights at any of the bowl games, pre or post game.  They were bad. On a positive, Illinois fans have been the best fans I've encountered. I once bought an extra ticket from a group of them.  They realized me for a Buckeye fan from the get go and made one requirement if they sold their 50 yardling 7 rows off the field ticket to me for face value, I had to hang with them for the remainder of the pre-game.  They warned me it might be brutal as they're tailgate was in a heated tent, catered by Chilli's and Budweiser and paid for by their local TV stationin which their duaghter was the weather girl and about my age, at the time. During the game, as the sun set, I was not preparred for the temp. drop and wind.  I'd never been so cold.  Those surrounding me and took notice, handing my extra gloves they found in jacket pockets, one of the multiple blankets they were sitting on to wrap arround me, sips of whiskey.  The game went double OT with the Bucks finally pulling it out. As OT ended everyone scattered.  My only regret was not being able to thank everyone for their hospitality or return the whiskey I was left holding in a flask.

+1 HS
Jabba1977's picture

We need several more wins against the SEC!! We could never have enough wins against that wretched conference!!

SECHATER77

+1 HS
osu_killernuts's picture

If only SEC teams would agree on a home and home series instead of their 'let's play at a neutral site in Atlanta or Houston or Dallas' BS they pull now.

Hate is a strong word.  I hate ESecPN almost as much as I hate the whole SEC conference which is a close second to TTUN.

TheBadOwl's picture

To be fair, LSU is going to Lambeau to play Wisconsin in 2016.

You'll never see an SEC team on the road in the Midwest late in the season. No, it's not because they're afraid of the weather. It's because the B1G is deep in its conference schedule by that point.

B1G teams typically get one bye week during their conference schedule. No way any B1G coach wants to fill that with an SEC team, giving their team less rest for the games that actually matter.

Not to mention that the B1G team's bye week would have to match up with an opening for the SEC team. It's a scheduling nightmare and honestly, it harms the B1G teams more than it'd harm the SEC teams.

As much as I'd love to see an SEC team come up to the Horseshoe in November, I'd rather not have a November schedule of MSU - PSU - Alabama - Michigan without a bye. It just doesn't make sense for either side.

That's why I wish every conference immediately started its conference schedule. More room for marquee non-conference matchups late in the season.

With that said, when I get home I might fire up NCAA 14, put Florida in the 'Shoe, and set the weather to 10 degrees with heavy snow. 

+1 HS
osu_killernuts's picture

To be fair, LSU is going to Lambeau to play Wisconsin in 2016.

True....but how much better would Wisky at LSU in Death Valley and LSU at Wisky in Camp Randall have been?  Better is the correct answer.

And I know teams will never play top tier non-conference games late in the season.  Texas and USC home and home series were great a few years back.  Would those games had the same atmosphere if they were played in Jerry World and Cleveland Browns stadium?  I'm guessing not.  I want to see a top SEC team play in the 'Shoe (Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia - I'm not picky) while I would love seeing Ohio State head to a SEC campus early in the season.  It would just make for even better college football. 

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

True....but how much better would Wisky at LSU in Death Valley and LSU at Wisky in Camp Randall have been?  Better is the correct answer.

I concur.  Two of the best game day atmosphere's in all of CFB (aside from Columbus) and they play both games elsewhere.  In this case, that was just bad judgement on all parties involved. 

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

seafus26's picture

I don't agree with Atlanta either, even though it's a nice recrutting tool in that hot bed.  But the brilliantly modern stadiums in Houston and Dallas are hard to pass up, and not too shaby of recruitting hot beds either to gain exposure in.

braneli's picture

Chalk it up!

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

Gray Box's picture

1986 Cotton Bowl #8 Texas A&M vs #11 Ohio State 1 of 1:

Earle's picture

This is bogus.  Texas A&M did not have a football program before Johnny Manziel.

Italics are for emphasis.