Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Ohio State drops 8 spots in ESPN Power Rankings

jeremytwoface's picture
September 3, 2014 at 10:01am
23 Comments

Here are the rankings.

Obviously these things don't even matter so it's not a big deal. And it's even less of a deal this year with the playoff. But we can still look at them for the sake of discussion (and the inevitable bashing of the World Wide Leader).

The ranking mentions the 370 rushing yards that Ohio State allowed... and even though that's a good deal more than everyone expected, it doesn't look nearly as bad when you just look at total yards allowed which was 390 (still not great). If you look at some other top teams that struggled (Alabama - 393, FSU - 364), it's pretty comparable.

Alabama dropped 3 spots (from 2 to 5) and FSU didn't drop.

Also keep in mind that Ohio State was favored by 13 (it was 17.5 before Braxton's injury) and won by 17, FSU was favored by 17.5 as well and won by 6 and Alabama was favored by 26 and won by 10.

Obviously numbers aren't everything... But if that's the case, why judge Ohio State based on 370 rushing yards?

In my opinion, I'm still not sure Ohio State is a top 10 team right now... I need to see more from JT and I need to see the O-line perform better. But should they have dropped 8 spots when Bama only dropped 3?

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

jtf, dude bro....did we win?

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

jeremytwoface's picture

Like I said, these rankings mean absolutely nothing. You can't even argue that they carry any weight in who the AP or Coaches vote for anymore because those polls don't matter.

I'm just looking for a little discussion... I know there's already been a lot of discussion on this topic but it was about the Coaches Poll (where we dropped one) and the AP Poll (where we dropped 3). And I just wanted people to be aware of the ESPN rankings.

So I was curious to see what everyone thought about the ESPN rankings.... Obviously if we just win all of our games (maybe even if we only lose 1 game) we will be in the Playoff, but I really have nothing else to do today until the USA play their friendly at 2:30.

So just humor me.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+2 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

I can't really add anything other than I hate rankings that come out before..lets say week 10. I'd say we're a top 15 school, sure. We're great but not elite. Too many freshman/week 1 mistakes last week. But Bama looked shaky, FSU looked shaky. So did most everyone.

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

-1 HS
droessl's picture

It just so happens that I am fresh out of fucks to give about the ESPN power rankings. 

+4 HS
chirobuck's picture

I think that about sums it up for most of us, myself for sure

^ best post ever ^

FROMTHE18's picture

ESPN Power Rankings are even more biased than their coverage of college football. I will not give them the luxury of a page view.

+2 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Look who's at #25.......

ESPN isn't a bad cure for insomnia, however....

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Goodness, the delusion over at BSPN is astounding.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

And it will never end 

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

On top of that, UCLA is ahead of Ohio State. XD

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
apack614's picture

Beat me by a minute

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
apack614's picture

No, we should not have.

But, because we did so should FSU and Bama.

UCLA being in front of us really, REALLY is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

TAMU should be higher

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

jamesrbrown322's picture

This is simply a reaction to what most of their "experts" think about a Baxton-less OSU squad. I can't blame the folks who have them in the 12-16 range, but #21 is just ridiculous.

The good news - IT DOESN'T MATTER.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
mb5599's picture

I DVR College Football Live and College Football Daily.  I fast forward through alot of it since it is all about the SEC, but whenever I see Joey Galloway on I watch the whole show.  Joey doesnt toe the ESPN "SEC is Great" company line.  When an SEC deserves some praise he will give it to them, but he will point out their weaknessess too.  He gets into it with his co-hosts all the time (Danny Kannell) and makes sure they dont get away with sugar coating anything that is the SEC. That doesnt mean he is a OSU or BIG cheerleader either.  He points out the weaknesses of all the teams.  I agree with almost everything he is saying most of the time. Love watching Joey tell it like it is.

Big B

+1 HS
braneli's picture

Garbage. That is all.

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I didn't click, but I'm going to go ahead and drop the ESPN power rankings a few spots in my latest poll.

11W clocks in at the unanimous number one...again.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+9 HS
buckeyestu's picture

What is this thing called ESPN?

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

A place where the SEC and LeBron are treated like gods.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

The only way we climb is if we completely demoralize every opponent we face, and those above us lose.  Sad but true.  

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

osu_killernuts's picture

Let's be fair ESecPN dropped 'Bama down after their lackluster performance down 3 spots to #5 so the Buckeyes drop is justified.

Nevermind, Georgia jumped 10 spots to number 2. Classic ESecPN, nothing to see here, let's move on....

Hate is a strong word.  I hate ESecPN almost as much as I hate the whole SEC conference which is a close second to TTUN.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

*Yawn*

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS