Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Will we see any Wildcat formation this year?

TheShookster's picture
September 3, 2014 at 8:39am
27 Comments

I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning on the way to work and they had Herbstreit on. He very briefly touched on the Ohio State Navy game and mentioned while JT played well and was relatively consistent, he's not as fast or explosive as Urban Meyer wants at the QB position and to not be surprised if you see a WR take some snaps (I'm paraphrasing btw). 

For those of you that understand the game or have a better insight into the minds of our coaching staff, what is the likelihood we see a Jalin Marshall or Dontre Wilson taking snaps at any point this season? I think it would be exciting to see this happen but at the same time I really think JT is fast enough, did Alex Smith have world class speed? 

The Rill Dill's picture

I stopped at -----Herbstreit/Mike and Mike.

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Herbie isn't as homerish as many would like, but he's far and away the best CFB analyst on the biggest sports network in the world. He makes me damn proud to be a Buckeye.

Oh, and I don't mind Mike and Mike. *ducks for cover*

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+5 HS
teakwood's picture

I second that!!! herby just isn't as bias for the home team as people would like.  I guess with all of the other homers on the network mostly SEC guys people want Herby to make it known he's a Buckeye.  But damn if he isn't just about right all the time.  he calls it how he sees it that why he's the face of ESPN cfb.  so i say give him a break he's doing his job like a professional

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Jalin Marshall in the wild cat, with the threat of a cheeky pass down field, YES PLEASE. 

+4 HS
THE's picture

It's the role he was born to play...

i have a feeling Urban is saving that play for someone special, like Sparty and/or TTUN. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+1 HS
osu_killernuts's picture

Eh, maybe it's just me, but I'm not a huge fan of the Wildcat formation and play calling from this formation.  To me, it's tells the offense exactly what you will do, one of two options.  I'd rather run a read option with a QB that can still throw the ball down field.  Braxton ran the play action read option perfectly and defenses bite hard on it.

I'm getting irritated with the 'JT doesn't have Braxton's athleticism' argument.  Hey sports media pundits, very few do - so drop it and move on.  Look around the Big Ten for example at the starting QBs that would be considered dual threats and tell me who you would rather have as a dual threat QB over JT :

Mitch Leidner - Minnesota

CJ Brown - Maryland

Devin Gardner - Mich

Tanner McEnvoy - Wisconsin

Tommy Armstrong - Nebraska

Tommy Armstong and JT are very much in the same mold, and I'd prefer to have either of those guys over the rest of the dual threat QBs in the Big Ten.  And Gardner is a freak of an athlete, but 'turrible' reading defenses and making accurate throws.

Hate is a strong word.  I hate ESecPN almost as much as I hate the whole SEC conference which is a close second to TTUN.

+1 HS
TheShookster's picture

I agree with you. I'm not the biggest fan of the wildcat either...if we saw it once or twice a game that would be fine, but I want JT getting the ball and I have no doubts he's going to have another solid game for us this Saturday evening.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

The only people on the entire team with "Braxton-like athleticism," if we're talking about a similar level of freakish athleticism and the same style (i.e. not Bosa) are probably Dontre and Curtis Samuel. Jalin's close, though.

I'd love to see Jalin taking some snaps. Wouldn't specifically call it a "wildcat" though. It'd be more of what Nick Marshall did at Auburn last year. Put Jalin back there, have him run the veer (Dontre coming on a sweep, Zeke up the middle), and occasionally have him pull it back and get it up to Devin Smith.

I'm getting irritated with the 'JT doesn't have Braxton's athleticism' argument.  Hey sports media pundits, very few do - so drop it and move on.

I'd actually say that no current college football quarterback has Braxton's athleticism. Cam Newton, RGIII, and Mike Vick were really the only college quarterbacks in my lifetime who are on par with Braxton's athleticism.

And Gardner is a freak of an athlete, but 'turrible' reading defenses and making accurate throws.

I'm on a roll lately with my unpopular opinions, but here we go...

Aside from that terrible pick against ND last year, Gardner is actually a very good college QB. He's had zero pass protection and a terrible offensive coordinator throughout his career at Michigan.

He's looked great in his last two games (OSU last year, App State opener). Granted that our pass D was a mess last year, and the other opponent was App State, but he's much better than people give him credit for. Dude threw for almost 500 yards against us on a broken foot.

While I wouldn't take him over a healthy Braxton, it pains me to say that he'd fit our offense like a glove and put up some insane numbers.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
teakwood's picture

I think you gotta watch more of Jalin's high school film.  I think he looks just like braxton, His moves the way he got around defenders Dontre and Curtis used more Speed.  Jalin would take your socks off and tie them in a knot.  I think Jalin and Braxton are very similar Braxton is Bigger and has a better arm!!!

osu_killernuts's picture

Maybe I shouldn't say that Gardner is 'turrible' instead I should say Gardner can't come up with a win on the big stage.  He may have come up with a win here or there, but I don't want him at QB for my team in a big game or when we would need a score late aka no turnovers.

Hate is a strong word.  I hate ESecPN almost as much as I hate the whole SEC conference which is a close second to TTUN.

TheBadOwl's picture

Gardner nearly singlehandedly beat us last year in Michigan's biggest game of the season.

Yeah, Michigan got embarrassed by Sparty and Notre Dame last year, but their line got slaughtered in both of those games. And perhaps most importantly, their head coach is Brady Hoke. Can't really expect them to do well in big games for that reason alone.

Gardner's a stud. If they didn't have him last year, they would've won five games, tops.

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

I'm with you.

Maybe if there's some heavy misdirection, or a TRUE pass threat, but otherwise I feel like the wildcat formation has become too easy to defend. Particularly the RB draw version (snap it to the RB playing QB, he runs into the center of the line). Even with Carlos Hyde, the best RB in CFL last year, and one of the best OLs in CFL, I felt like the wildcat was relatively ineffective the few times OSU ran it. I'd rather keep the true QB in the game and have a genuine run/pass threat on every play. 

rdubs's picture

I don't know where this nonsense started that Meyer wants an amazingly dynamic athlete as QB.  Look at the ones he has recruited (Braxton isn't one).  Tebow is a great athlete, but dynamic isn't quite the right term for him, he was very strong and fast especially for his size, but he wasn't really dancing all over making people miss.  Torrance Gibson is probably the best athlete that Meyer has recruited at QB, but if you look at the others they are great leaders with the ability to get the ball out to their receivers and are enough of a run threat that the defense has to respect them.  

Now I don't have a problem with the wildcat, I hope we see it because it might be the best way to get Marshall, Wilson, EZE all on the field at the same time.  But I don't think we'll see it because JT can't run well enough.

+2 HS
DCBuckeye33's picture

seriously, Tebow was a fullback who could throw just well enough for the college game. He wasn't some electrifying world-beater athlete, he was a power football player. Urban needs a QB with the threat to run effectively, not the threat to be a game breaker every time he touches. He just happened to get both with Braxton but its not some hard requirement for the system he wants to run

GO BUCKS

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Tebow was a fullback who could throw just well enough for the college game.

I'd give him a little more credit as a runner than that. Dude was like watching Toby Gerhart play quarterback. And he actually did have a good arm. And he was great at running Urban's offense and making the correct reads.

But I agree that this offense probably functions best with someone with Bryce Petty's skillset running it. He's athletic and big, but his strength is his arm and his ability to read defenses.

Joey Burrow and Stephen Collier remind me a lot of Bryce Petty. Torrence Gibson reminds me a lot of Devin Gardner, and I mean that in a positive way. Gardner would be a monster in this offense.

+1 HS
DCBuckeye33's picture

I didn't mean to take anything away from him as a runner. I mean, he was likely one of the best college football players of the last 25 years, if not ever. He was a terrific runner and ran that offense perfectly, but he was closer to a fullback than an Braxton style athlete. I was trying to point out that Urbans offense doesn't require an athlete like Braxton who is elusive and fast, it just requires someone who can be a run threat and who can make great reads.  

GO BUCKS

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Tebow was a terrific athlete, but his style of athleticism was much different than Braxton's. Braxton is all about quick cuts, acceleration, speed and finesse. Tebow's athleticism was about just running through people without stopping.

I agree that Urban's offense doesn't necessarily need a freak athlete, especially not when there's a great defense to rely on, but his offense definitely functions better with an elite athlete. Alex Smith was a much better athlete than many give him credit for.

+1 HS
BuckWylde's picture

" . . . But I don't think we'll see it because JT can't run well enough."   According to whom?!!!  At the time he was being recruited, I remember reading that Barrett was ranked top 10 as an overall QB, and top 3 as a dual threat . . . what's changed?

I know he's had ACL repairs, but Joey Galloway and others had the same, with no appreciable loss of speed or mobility. Maybe you're just judging JT on a scale of 1 to Braxton? . . . which is a pretty steep incline indeed, since I've read 4.32 as Miller's top 40 time!          

Few who've ever played QB can measure-up to "Brax" as far as explosiveness, but I tend to think that Barrett will prove to be like a Halloween Bag that's full of sweet surprises.

BuckWylde

+1 HS
rdubs's picture

I agree wholeheartedly, but that sounds like the point that Herby was making on M and M.  Apparently he said that Barrett isn't a "dynamic" enough athlete.  He is certainly dynamic enough to run the offense well.  Is he Braxton as a runner?  No, but he doesn't need to be to excel. 

Mean Mr Mustard's picture

I would rather see Jones come in for a few plays and run some inverted veer with Samuels or Wilson.  There is still a threat of throwing the ball with Jones.

--You still need a QB that can throw the ball well enough to make a defense pay for zero deep coverage

--QB that can run works better than an athlete can throw the ball a little bit

---The Jalin Marshall at the Wildcat may happen.  Marshall was the scout QB for the Navy game--you might think that Collier would have filled that role.  If Marshall did well enough in practice, it might have given Coach Meyer a few ideas

buckguyfan1's picture

J.T. will be fine. 

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I can't see them running a "wildcat" meaning a skill position will take direct snaps.

I would think we would see Cardale get a shot before a Marshall, Wilson, or other...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

Seattle Linga's picture

Don't know about the wildcat but i do think they will use the fly sweep with Samuel and Wilson getting the ball from JT. Maybe better than the wildcat b/c they will be going a lot faster when they get the ball.

Buck Wild's picture

Marshall will be in the Wildcat for sure. Urban is about creating mismatches on offense. Remember, Urban has always been unconventional on O to think out of the box & plays to his team's strengths. Doesn't mean Marshall will run it every time like a conventional Wildcat. Think of a hybrid Wildcat, Option Read. Urban & Herman have an opportunity to put in a package for Marshall at QB w/ eZe, Curtis & Dontre. Pick your poison in speed options...will be fun to watch.

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
Woody Hayes 1913 - 1987

DannyBeane's picture

I'm still waiting on that Diamond formation...

bucks4nuts's picture

Until I see it... I won't believe it... But then again we may never see that play again. Hoping for a great week of practice and the Bucks are ready to roll Saturday Night !

"To The House"

Brutus1972's picture

Said that I would like to see J. Marshall in the Wildcat in another thread as soon as we found out that XBrax went down. Make no mistake, #17 can throw the ball down field if required out of the Wildcat. I have no evidence that Urb and company have implemented this or have even thought of it but I would be sincerely shocked if we don't see it at some point this season. If I was Bud Foster, I would have it in my defensive game plan.