Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2002 team similar to 2014?

+1 HS
UrbanRenewal's picture
September 3, 2014 at 8:35am
25 Comments

Okay so you may think I'm crazy. I might be. Or maybe I just have a little too much time on my hands since I took a vacation this week and am going to cap it off with a trip to the Horseshoe on Saturday. But I did a little digging and it wasn't for no reason. When I watched this team last Saturday, I couldn't help but think back to 2002. Yeah I was only 10 years old then but me and my dad watched those games religiously. This team is similar in quite a few ways. I really saw them come together on Saturday. I saw an identity that I haven't seen for quite awhile. They had a chip on their shoulder and it was almost a blue-collar type of vibe. These boys are hungry. Check out some of these similarities to the 2002 team.

In 2002, we were coming off of a bowl loss to a team from South Carolina, played in Florida. We just came off a bowl loss to a team from South Carolina, played in Florida.

In 2002, we were coming off a tight win in Ann Arbor. This year we came off a tight win in Ann Arbor.

In 2002, our best defensive player Mike Doss decided to come back instead of heading to the draft. Our best defensive player Mike Bennett decided to come back instead of going to the draft.

In 2002, our best target at wide receiver was Mike Jenkins. Our best target at wide receiver is Mike Thomas.

Going into our 2nd game in 2002, we were ranked #8 in the AP poll, one spot behind Michigan. Going into our 2nd game this season, we are ranked #8 in the AP poll, one spot behind Michigan State.

Jim Tressel won the title in his 2nd bowl eligible season as head coach. This is Urban Meyer's 2nd bowl eligible season as head coach.

Craig Krenzel wore #16 and was seen first and foremost as a leader. J.T. Barrett is #16 and seen first and foremost as our leader.

Lastly, a team from Florida was trying to repeat as National Champions after a title win in Pasadena the previous year. A team from Florida is trying to repeat as National Champions this year after a win in Pasadena last year.  

I might be a little bored and this may have 0 bearing on anything but I did find it interesting. I mean... what are the odds

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 25 Comments