Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

EzE's Struggles on Saturday [*My 2 Cents*]

hcazualcc's picture
September 2, 2014 at 6:57am
41 Comments

I'm going to start off by saying I was not sold on Carlos Hyde before last season, I thought Rod Smith had *it* - he was an off the charts athlete and looked like Eddie George.  Carlos Hyde, hmm, he looked like a slower, less well built version of Beanie Wells. Boy was I wrong, but he shares some of Beanie's strengths.  Vision & patience.  Add to that his tremendous balance and that was what made Hyde so great.

I'm not trying to be a hater, but EzE has very little of these traits as of today.  The great thing about this criticism is that he can learn and work on them.  Going 100 mph into your offensive line is not going to work out well unless the defense messes up and blitzes from the outside.  As a matter of fact, I think Curtis Samuel did a better job of letting his offensive blocks develop up the middle on Saturday.  I want EzE to be our guy between the tackles, and let's face it, we already have our guys outside the tackles, so he's going to need to work on his power game and utilize his speed burst when appropriate.

I expect our running game to be a work in progress.  We will need to rely on decoys and jet sweeps in order to run up the middle until we get a little more savvy with our up-the-middle running. 

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Considering the fact that the O-line effort was consistently pointed to as the weak performance of the game, I think all of our backs, EzE included, ran very well between the tackles. Elliot, in fact, seemed to be gathering steam as the second half progressed and, let's face it, the coaches blew it by not challenging his "fumble"; that was a hell of an effort and run.

+11 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

the coaches blew it by not challenging his "fumble"; that was a hell of an effort and run.

Please rewatch the play and look at his left arm.  

Read my entire screen name....

+2 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I think he as saying as he was across the first down marker, not that is was actually a fumble. hence "".

It was a first down and they shouldn't have run the hurry up like they did.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

brandonbauer87's picture

It wasn't a fumble, but it wasn't a first down either. His arm was down before he extended and before he lost the ball. 

-1 HS
Xenia_Buckeye's picture

I guess it's a good thing you are not a good evaluator of running backs. If you couldn't see the greatness in Hyde before last season and thought Rod "Fumblitis" Smith was the shiznitz...not real sure how i would take your evaluation of EzE...JMHO

+5 HS
CC's picture

Oh wise one, please tell me who will have a better career, EzE or CS?  I would like to know before the games are played.

Braxton2Devin's picture

Not his fault. O-line's fault. Second half the O-line performed better, and consequently he did very well in the second half. Had a nice TD and that "fumble" play was a hell of an effort and was not actually a fumble. No worries about EzE. Him and Samuel will be a 1-2 punch. Smith can come in every now and then and relieve the 2 of them. 

+4 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

I appear to be in the vast minority in these parts, but Ive never understood the fascination with Rod Smith.  Everyone likes to talk about his freak athleticism and crazy speed, but I have never seen these things manifested on the field.  I haven't noticed Meyer or any of the coaches ever mentioning him with the fastest players, like when they are always talking about Dontre and Samuel.  And then there are the Eddie comparisons that a lot of people have made, which seems almost blasphemous. 

Don't get me wrong, Im sure he is a good athlete and would see playing time at a lot of schools, Ive just never seen anything as impressive as a lot of people here seem to have noticed.  Not to mention the ball security problems.  Anyway, not being a smartass, just my 2 cents.    

+11 HS
Becool12's picture

I think people are admiring him as a physical specimen and hoping he can put it together. He is a great athlete but he is no Calvin Johnson or a player who can run a 4.3 at that size. He is strong and lean and a big tall back that reminds everyone of Eddie based on his size. He has had many good runs including a very nice one against either Nebraska or Wisconsin two years ago. 

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

He had a run for 3 yards Saturday that should have been a loss. Small victories. 

+1 HS
gobucks96's picture

He was upset when going out after each run..

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I don't blame him. He would block 6 times and get 1 carry. Urban had some positives to say about his special team play, so hopefully he gets more chances this week. 

+1 HS
CC's picture

I noticed that as did the coaches I'm sure.  Not a good look.

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Rod Smith has the physical tools to be just as good as Eddie George, but somehow has never put it together. Simple as that, the dude has so much unrealized potential and some people (myself included) are continuing to hold out hope.

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

+1 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

I am holding out hope too, regardless of which buckeye we are talking about.  I am still grasping at straws for Curtis Grant, for example.  But your comment and the one above from BeCool are the ones I guess I don't get.  "Physical tools" and "Physical specimen" and such.  I mean couldn't we say that about practically every D1 player (maybe outside of linemen or kickers)?  All these dudes look like beasts, especially after someone like Marotti get ahold of them.  Sometimes, however, it just seems that talent or some other factor just simply isn't there. 

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Yes and no. Not every running back is 6'3, 231, runs a (totally guessing here) 4.5, no matter what Coach Mick does to them. Yes, D1 athletes are usually big and strong and fast, but not all of them are all three. Look at our RBs the past couple years.

El Guapo: was fat and slow, then it all came together his senior year and had all 3.

Jordan Hall: quick, but small and not fast

EzE: okay size, fast. Unproven strength.

If you looked on paper, Rod Smith is better than all 3. But his career has been nothing compared to theirs (yes, even Eze after only 1 game).

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I appear to be in the vast minority in these parts, but Ive never understood the fascination with Rod Smith.  

A lot of it is frustration as fans, watching and waiting for him for 4 years now and never getting to definitively judge for ourselves what he can do.  I'm in his corner and want him to do well, but I also have tremendous faith in our coaching staff regarding his play time and role.

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

osu407's picture

I understand that it wasn't exactly what we all wanted or expected to see, but Meyer listed him as player of the game, so the offensive line is likely to deserve more blame than Elliot. 

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/Meyer-Verbatim-Looking-Toward-Vir...

+1 HS
CC's picture

I'm not questioning Urban's evaluation of the game, but it wasn't obvious to me why he would be the player of the game.

-1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

It takes more than an armed tackle to take Zeke down, he is quick through the hole and blocks in the pocket and downfield pretty well. Given his lack of experience, he should only get better and by the end of his career has the chance to be better than Hyde was. I'd like to see him get a handful more of carries. I also think he is effective out of the back field catching passes. On Saturday, I thought he did just fine. As many have said, the OL took time to open up some holes but the later chances Zeke got, he demonstrate his ability. I don't think he struggled at all. Finally, if our running game is a "work in progress", then Im scared for everyone in the nation because we rushed for a pretty decent amount of yards and spread those yards around to 4 primary players. This is going to be an Urban Meyer style of rushing attack, not a Jim Tressel, so yards will be acquired on the ground in various different ways rather than straight up the middle, as we saw with the multiple sweeps vs Navy. OL needs to improve week and I think they will, running game will be just fine. 

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Like some of the other guys on here said, it took the OL half a game to get synced up. Once they did they were gellin' like a felon.

+2 HS
gobucks96's picture

I thought they moved the ball well in the 2nd as well. JT made a few errors on reads but only one glaring mistake. Overall, I see plenty of upside from that game.

Furious George 27's picture

I thought EZE did well considering the line had no push until the 2nd half, he definately has the size and speed and is a very good blocker. Samuel looked good as well and they should be a nice 1-2 punch. Smith has the talent but has never been consistent and whiffed on a block. I kind of wonder where Dunn and Ball fit in

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
hcazualcc's picture

I dont believe in Rod nearly as much. 2 responses though - 

1) eze got 30 of his 45 yards on two carries when the defense was schematically out of the play

2) i cited three non combine skills that im analyzing, i realize eze has great speed and strength that is very obvious

-2 HS
512buckeye's picture

Everyone take a deep breath.

Let's party, Columbus.

+2 HS
OSUBias's picture

EZ did not have the greatest day running the ball. There are probably a couple of runs he'd like to have back, but his carries tended to come in the middle of some of the bizarro play calling (the 4th down Dave left, the bizarro option on 3rd and goal, early in the game when our oline was completely dysfunctional.

He did, however, do exceptionally well picking up the blitz, got graded out as a champion by the staff, didn't turn the ball over, and pancaked the absolute shit out of a LB on a QB draw in the 4th (probably my favorite non scoring play of the game). So...could't have been that bad. He'll look better this week, as will the rest of the team. That's the nature of early season football. It's often overamped and ugly.

Shitter's full

+2 HS
hcazualcc's picture

thank you for a good response - will correct you he technically did fumble away the football but he should have been down on his back

-1 HS

Please go back and watch the replay.  You will notice that before he makes the second effort, his left forearm touches the ground, making him down by contact.  

+1 HS
OSUBias's picture

Also,TECHNICALLY he didn't turn the ball over, which is what I said; we recovered the fumble.

And it for sure wouldn't have held up if they replayed it. He was down ahead of the fumble. Also would have advanced the ball spot by a yard and made it 4th and inches at worst, a first down at best. Which makes it more perplexing why Herman/Meyer chose to turbo the snap for Dave left. Gave the refs no time to review the play and give us a better spot.

Shitter's full

+1 HS
cdub4's picture

Eze is a true sophomore. Hyde wasn't the Hyde we know and George was the George we remember as sophomores. He also just had wrist surgery recently which no one mentioned.

I also don't get the fascination with Rod Smith. Not being negative, I know his little brother looks like he will play on Sundays, and he is a bigger back but he isn't some freak athlete or anything.

+1 HS
hcazualcc's picture

i don't know anyone who really knew how good hyde was before his senior season...was there a point where jordan hall was ahead of him at rb?

-2 HS

I'm not going to judge any RB based on that game.  Too many variables - breaking in a new offense, vanilla playbook, etc.

BoFuquel's picture

He is running with one hand , and that makes a commodious load of difference right now. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

BuckWylde's picture

Commodious? . . . did you just say commodious?  Definite up-vote for solid improvement on a s#!t-load theme! 

BuckWylde

allinosu's picture

We go with what is working. Sometimes that's power and sometimes it's speed. I expect different players having big games each week. As long as we run the ball successfully it doesn't matter which BUCKEYE is getting the job done. I expect as the o-line improves things it will change who and when.

+1 HS
Buckidelphia's picture

I thought Eze ran violently. Kind finishes his runs hard.

Squirrel Master's picture

everything everyone else said plus I will add he wasn't put in the best situations by the Oline and Barrett with some of those handoffs. Seemed like he was given the ball in no win situations.

the only thing I think we will miss from Hyde that Eze won't be able to accomplish, the "never lose a yard" ability. Hyde always got a yard out of any run he had. Eze won't be that but I bet he will do just about everything else Hyde did. I have a feeling we will be just fine with him.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

Kindell's picture

He just had wrist surgery a few weeks ago and hasn't been getting tackled in games.  By the 2nd half he was running like the back we all saw last year he will be fine.  

I am high on Samuel too, but there is no rush to just make him the feature back.  I think they will be the two main backs this year and will complement each other well.  

allinosu's picture

We will need to find the solution to third and fourth down and short or we end up like last year.

HotSauceCommittee's picture

I am amused by the Rod backers bashing Zeke. Let's not forget Rod hasn't capitalized on his opportunities. This is his issue and has no one else to blame but the man facing him in the mirror. Also, before we bash Zeke's only start let's not forget these kids are teammates and Buckeyes.

45OH4IO's picture

I totally underappreciated the OL the Bucks had last season. Man, those guys were incredible. I hate graduation.

+1 HS