Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

My first game

DerryKing's picture
September 1, 2014 at 7:17pm
12 Comments

Well this upcoming Saturday night will be my first game. I purchased student tickets and don't really have a group to go with so i'm going alone. I'm underage so I don't plan on drinking. I'm worried about where to park, when to get there and things of that nature. What tips could you guys offer to me?

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

No offense, but this is a tough way to experience a first game. I implore you to take friends, get there as early as possible and make it an all day experience.  I have found it to be a double edge sword, but the longer you allow to get excited for a game, the sweeter the experience, game, and hopeful victory. 

Read my entire screen name....

+3 HS
DerryKing's picture

None of my friends got tickets.

BassDropper's picture

Ive been to about 20 games since 08 and I'd say about half of those I have went by myself. My friend ended up backing out for the VT game, so I'll be riding solo as well. I honestly almost prefer to go by myself, except for pre game activities. To answer your questions, I usually park at the tuttle parking garage right next to the stadium. You have to get there fairly early, though. 2 hours prior to the game is Skull Session at St. Johns Arena. For a first timer, I suggest going. I have went every game I have been to. 

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
DerryKing's picture

Does it cost anything to get into the Skull Session?

BassDropper's picture

Skull Session is free. It's a pep rally that features the OSU band (if the VT band is coming they will be there also), and Urban and the team stop by to say a few words. After the team leaves I usually leave and head to the stadium because the gates open after the team gets inside. 

DIRECTIONER

DWright's picture

Just a suggestion but I would probably park on West Campus and walk to the stadium. It's a bit of a walk but there are shuttle buses you can take if you like. It will be far less congested trying to get out after the game with traffic and what not. Have some cash on you cause parking will cost some money.

+1 HS
DerryKing's picture

Point taken. Any estimation on how much I should carry? I'm always a little wary of carrying a ton of cash on me.

GoBucks10's picture

Unless it changed since last year, parking out in West Campus is $10 if that helps.  Follow the lines of people going to the shuttle buses which drop you off right across the Olentangy River from the stadium.  

"Because I couldn't go for three."  - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
DWright's picture

Parking prices are dumb, unfortunately. It will likely run you at least $8 or $9 (Can't remember exactly how much I paid last season). I don't know where you are driving from but I typically try to leave my house (from Hilliard) at least 2 hours before the game starts. The walk to and from the lot to the stadium will be lined with police at various checkpoints and they are well traversed with fans (typically families/older fans) if that makes you feel a little more safe. I personally enjoy the walk cause as you get closer to the stadium you'll pass by a lot of the tailgating scenes which is a nice atmosphere to experience on a college football Saturday.

mr.green's picture

If you go west of high up toward fourth you can park for free  on side streets. Shorter walk than west campus and you will be on 71 before anyone else after the game. The frats on indianola also park cars for 10 or 15 bucks if you prefer to pay. I go to a church at indianola and northwood. They ask for a donation only so you can pay 5 bucks (I pay 10 or 15). 

Going alone is cool inside the stadium. I go to skull sometimes but find it to be boring most of the time or filled with people sitting on their hands (if I go, I get loud and some people do NOT like that)   There will be a crowd wTching the Oregon MSU game at one of the big screens along Lane north of St Johns. You could go in one of those for no cost and eat something and watch and drink a coke and get to know people.  

Have fun and GO BUCKS. 

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

I have parked at this same church for many years. It is a bit of a walk, but as stated on the way out not at all congested. 

OscarSierraUniform's picture

Before the 1991 season, my then girlfriend broke up with me.  We had season tickets together.  I went to every game by myself and made friends there in the section.  All my other friends who I was close with were in a different section so at least I was able to pre and post game party with them.

See ball, get ball.