Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

JT vs Braxton and your opinion.

Tampabuckeye85's picture
September 1, 2014 at 9:59am
44 Comments

So aside from the interception, I think JT did a great job. 80% completion and 200+ yards is hard to be unhappy with. My question is was he really that good or are the numbers just a product of who we were playing? I realize Braxton would have had way more than 50 yards rushing but how would his passing yards have been? I'm caught between my love for the buckeyes and my man crush so to speak. I want JT to play well and our team to have a great year because he as of now is the future of the team. On the other hand I don't want a QB controversy and hope Braxton is leading us come next year so I am concerned with how well he does this year. So my question is should Braxton be an after thought for me and just accept JT being the starter for here on out or will Braxton win his job back next year?

SilverState's picture

With a healthy Braxton, there is no quarterback controversy.

+6 HS
bucks15's picture

Halting a young quarterbacks development after a great year (assuming optimism) for a quarterback who hasn't played a game in 19 months certainly calls for controversy.   

+1 HS
SilverState's picture

Sure, but assuming Braxton is 100% healthy, I think he's the better choice at QB, primarily because of his rare ability as a playmaker. And while slowing the development of a future QB is a concern (he'd still progress, though more slowly, so I'm not sure "halting" is entirely accurate), fielding the best QB is more important imo.

sox33osu's picture

I think it's unfair to keep comparing the two. They are dramatically different QBs. Both would've given us a W Saturday. The important thing is JT played well and barring anything unforeseen, he'll be playing for us for at least this season. 

+2 HS
osu407's picture

What an original concept for a thread. 

-7 HS
Bucks's picture

It is football season and you can easily not contribute if you dislike a topic.

+10 HS
braneli's picture

I have to be honest... Almost every thread has some smart ass comment like this. It's ridiculous.

Football is exciting, and the fact that we've all had to await the season for most of a year means that we all are excited, and wish to talk about anything and everything that is even remotely related to OSU and the fresh season.

If you don't want to read another thread on J.T. Barrett, then I suggest that you either move on to the next thread with your voice unheard, or save us the bull sh*t and delete your account. This is a community of LIKE-MINDED FANS – if you can't contribute to the community, then please do us all a favor and bail. Cheers! Go Bucks!

P.S. I think J.T. will be a great QB for us – perhaps, not a star, like that of BM or TP, but he will win us plenty of games with his play!

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

I'd love to have a qb controversy next year. 

I also think Barrett will be a good fit for the offense in the future. We've got playmakers, what we need is somebody to get them the ball. 

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I wouldn't even try to compare JT and Braxton.  JT did great against Navy, but if Braxton is healthy, JT is holding the clipboard. 

Class of 2010.

+2 HS
Oakland Buckeye's picture

Yes but Braxton has started 30+ games - this was Barrett's first game in essentially 2 full years. If he continues to progress (why not?) - he does two things they have asked of Braxton that he has never done - through with accuracy consistently, and complete over 70% of passes. Brax has never done this - JT does first day. I am from Dayton & love BMiller - but if this kid leads us to a B1G title (Brax has never won a tilte) - there is ABSOLUTLEY a QB controversy next year.

+2 HS
Gametime's picture

Braxton Miller is a transcendent athlete with a strong arm at the QB position. He's played QB well enough along with being an X-factor with his feet to win games.

That said, the question needs more detail - who's the better QB or who's the better football player? 

Honestly, I think if the offensive line was able to give JT more time to stand and deliver, he would've put up even bigger numbers than that. The kid showed that when he has time to survey the field, he'll go through his reads and find a guy. 

Now that being said: Ask this question after the Michigan State game, and by then we'll be able to see these guys on the O-line keep geling, along with JT & the weapons getting their game speed timing down, etc. and once that happens we'll see a totally different team.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+1 HS
BoFuquel's picture

I don't see Miller ever playing QB for THE again. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Hovenaut's picture

Countering the downer.

I'll say that I CAN see Braxton moving on. If his rehab goes well and he can garner some pro interest there is no reason for him to come back. I don't mean to state championships and/or individual accolades have no bearing, but he will have to ask where his future in football is best served.

Long time for Miller to think about all of this as well.

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Can't really get a comparison after one game. JT will likely be a faster version of Guitton: more accurate but slower than Miller.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

I understand it's just one game, against just one opponent, but I do think this season may determine who starts at qb next year. If Barrett puts up numbers similar to this past week, and the playbook gets expanded to him throwing 25-30 times a game, I think Barrett is the starter for good.

Few teams can win championships without a passing game and Barrett looked solid going thru his reads when he had time Saturday. I think his passing could turn out to be outstanding and his legs give him enough to escape some trouble when he needs to.

Buck-I4Life

-1 HS
Tampabuckeye85's picture

The reason didn't put more information, is because this isn't a who is better JT vs Braxton question. I mentioned stats because of what I know about the players. I was merely saying I feel it would be save to assume Braxton would have had more than 50 yards rushing and it's not like he has never thrown for over 200 so that stats not out of the question. My JT vs Braxton question was should I just accept JT as the starting qb from now on or should I still hold on to hope that Braxton will come back and get to finish out his career. So sorry I wasn't more clear but I thought that question was asked at the very end of my post. I was just trying to point out JT didn't come out and do something that Braxton has not already done as of yet. There is still time for him to do something such as 300 yards passing or something like that.

+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

JT throws a natural ball. In my opinion, his floor is Kenny Guiton and his ceiling is Troy Smith. 

+2 HS
Canukbuck's picture

Well stated, Silver Bullet 10 - probably the most accurate statement on these boards in a long while ..... Guiton could manage a game, was cool under pressure (Purdue game), threw a decent deep ball and great at spreading the ball around.  Guiton's legs were great (with Braxton's being exceptional) and he knew exactly when to run.  Most importantly, both Guiton and J.T. played the same read option offense in HS, so they were well prepared to run this offense before even setting foot on the OSU campus.  Neither Guiton or Barrett will ever have the "X-Factor" athletic skill set of Braxton, but I prefer a QB who can properly read the defense on an option call and also have the proper "touch" on a pass (which, sadly, Braxton lacks - still throwing the 5 yard curl like it's a 20 yard seam).  The comparison to Troy Smith is bang on (loved that little spin move inside the red zone to avoid a sure sack by J.T. (unfortunately, he ended up throwing the interception with a wide open TE in the middle of the end zone waving).  He's only going to get better ....

+2 HS
OfficerRabbit's picture

I was going to post a very similar statement. I feel like JT is a more natural quarterback, Braxton is more of a tailback with a cannon. It's way too early, but I loved seeing JT go through his progressions, and I was impressed with his ball placement (mostly). I'm really excited to see the offense this year, I think we're going to see a much more balanced unit.

+3 HS
Tampabuckeye85's picture

Thanks Mort and Bo, you got what I was asking and appreciate the comments. But again to everyone else my bad for not clarifying that I was asking about if Braxton can get his job back.I just see it's only fit he finishes out his career.

-1 HS
Tampabuckeye85's picture

I have no issues with JT I think he's going to be great. I guess I just have an obsession with what Braxton brings compared to everyone else.

Bucks's picture

Let me say first that I want some Xbrax. He is just that damn good. Let me also say that there are some people who have a horrid football IQ and need to step back, read them some Ross Fulton and come better next week.

With that being said:

1) JT looks to have one hell of a career here. Accurate, poised and can scramble when needed. Expected him to make mistakes (which he did and will continue to do ... especially on decision to hold vs handoff).

2) The O-line was just that freaking bad. Solidified more in the 2nd half but still sub-par. Considering what Wariner has done the past few years, can't wait to see the product in a week.

3) We all watched the same game (although some were seemingly drunk beyond belief). When Barrett was given time in the 2nd half to run through his progressions, he was pretty outstanding.

4) This team is setup in a big way. You couldn't really ask for more weapons for the QB to utilize.

Switch this O-line with last year. Does any person actually doubt that we'd have 2 backs with almost 100 each?

Urban said bluntly that they wanted to open up the playbook to let JT do his thing but couldn't b/c the pass protection was that bad. When they began to open things up in the 2nd, boom.

In short Tampa, I think you should prepare more for a dual system next year. Braxton is too good to not be on the field. JT will probably get the ball to skill players in a way that he is invaluable as well.

Go Buckeyes!

+3 HS
Mortc15's picture

Well said. I stated earlier that JT would probably continue playing if he plays well, but that doesnt mean Braxton wont see the field. He's a dynamic athlete that needs to see the field, but when you have a guy who can throw accurate passes and scramble, it's hard to see taking that away for a guy who has been a predominately run oriented qb.

Buck-I4Life

allinosu's picture

After one game. Really?

+5 HS
BuckeyeRealist13's picture

Ohio State's offense is most dangerous if you have a passing first QB at the helm. Once JT gains some experience I believe the OSU offense will be more dangerous than it was with Braxton at the helm. When I say experience I'm not talking about game 4 or 5 of this season, I think when JT Barrett is a JR/SR he will have this offense firing on a different level than Braxton ever had it running at. I think you can clearly see that JT Barrett is much further ahead as an actual QB than Miller was at that same point in his career. Having said that, Braxton will be the starting QB if he returns next year.

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

-1 HS
BuckeyeRealist13's picture

Also, I firmly believe Barrett would of put up 300+ passing yards yesterday had he not played an offense that ran the clock down every single play. On the flip side, don't be too caught up in Barrett's completion %, all of the screen passes and jet sweeps inflated his stats. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

+1 HS
jonping67's picture

Can we just enjoy the season now that it is finally here? Let's worry about next in July of 2015.

+1 HS
BuckeyeTrappedInSouth's picture

I don't believe this is a fair comparison.  Braxton played for three seasons, and has grown tremendously.  Barrett just played his first game action since high school, which for him was early 2012 (when Braxton was in year 2).  I think the better comparison would be 2011 or possibly 2012 Braxton Miller with JT Barrett.  In this instance, they are very close with JT being slighlty ahead passing while probably behind in running.  I guess I am trying to answer your question by saying, we need to wait for the season and possibly off season to play out before we decide who is better.  Braxton got better each year, and JT might become much better himself.  We will have to wait and see.

In Urban We Trust

OSU069's picture

One game against navy hardly proves a thing. That pass he threw to D Smith was a bit short but luckily there was nobody around. Against a team like michigan state, you have to lead the receiver or it will be intercepted. Remember during Braxton's sophomore year that frozen rope he threw down th sideline over the cornerback to devin to take the lead against Michigan State? J.T still has a lot to prove. I like his game a lot, but if Braxton is completely healthy next year he is the QB.

+1 HS
BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

There was talk of running a 2 QB system this year with JT4 and Cardale and I thought that was a terrible idea. But if JT4 has a good season and Braxton comes back healthy, that sounds like a lethal idea for next year.

airbuckeye's picture

If JT does what everyone is exspecting him to do has the year goes on and Braxton heals up right for next then i have no problem with a QB controversy between them. Hell if that is the case what team out there would'nt want the luxury of haing that problem.

I say let this season play out for JT without adding that pressure on him from the fans or media point of view with those questions being ask. Then next season if we are setting at that point fine all the better for us and i say that is and easy fix.

You let Braxton start the game's because he has earned that right to go out with the chance to set records here and have a shot at all the hardware. Let him play the whole first half and part of the third quarter before turning it over to JT to finish out the game.

I believe Braxton can amase the numbers he needs in that time frame every game and still give JT plenty to home is skill's to take over in 2016 as the starter.

kareemabduljacobb's picture

Braxton.  Players like him don't come around very often.

+2 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

Very happy with JT.  They are 2 extremely different QB's though.  One thing I noticed was a couple of passes JT put some nice touch on to get over the corner but inside the safety.  Braxton doesn't throw the passes like that.  He throws lasers and never seemed to be able to put touch on the ball so that was nice to see out of JT

Brutus1972's picture

I think the important thing is that they both appear to be cool under pressure and JT will get better at it as he gets more game experience and the game slows down. I think that the one thing that JT can hang his hat on over Miller is the ability to consistently throw the crossing patter which is an integral part of the passing offense. However, other than that Miller leads in every category. I wouldn't even have them running the same set of plays especially the read option for JT. The offense has got to be tweaked in order for JT to be able to be efficient.

Oakland Buckeye's picture
-1 HS
seafus26's picture

Don't apologize for the level of competition. We've played worse competition and not come anywhere close to 80% completion even with starting reps for 3 straight years. If you watch the 2 throw next to each other, with no numbers or names on their jerseys, you can tell which is groomed to be a QB. Braxton is our best athlete and probably best football player, but we may have a problem. A good problem and one teams would kill to have. Lets just play good football and think about situation later.

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

-1 HS
rosenbuck's picture

Miller was 17/25 with 4 TDs vs Wisconsin and 22/27 against Iowa last year, I'd say that's better competition.

+1 HS
seafus26's picture

Agree. Barrett will get chance to prove. He has one game on his canvas. Braxton has 3 years worth. Too early to say. 

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+1 HS
tosubuckeye's picture

I've been hard on Braxton for what I perceive as lacking the ability to make the correct reads in the passing game. On top of that is his lack of accuracy and touch on the short and intermediate throws, I've said the same thing about TP and why I believe both will not be long-term NFL qb's. Having said that, however, Braxton has been the BIG's most decorated football player in its History. Now that says something. The guy is a winner and a class act to boot. But that aside, from a pure football point of view, he is a phenomenal athlete playing the qb position. In J.T. Barrett I believe we have a total qb who will prove exceptional as a distributor. Only 1 game has been played. The jury will be out, but I believe in a few games we will come to the definitive conclusion that J.T. Barrett will be our best option going forward. Braxton can do 1 of 2 things: 1) enter the NFL draft and be picked as a late round qb; and/or 2) seek and accept professional opinion and return to OSU as a rb/h-back and possibly play 10 years in the league on his immense physical talents. GO BUCKS!!!!

tosubuckeye

-1 HS
d5k's picture

People really found ways to dislike last year's offense despite it being the best by far in the history of Ohio State football.

BucksFan2000's picture

One thing is for certain, nothing can raise the level a team more than excellent QB play.  If we do get Gibson and current commits stay, this team is absolutely loaded at QB for a long time to come.

rosenbuck's picture

One game where Barrett only throws 15 passes and most of them are screens or forward pitches does not make him a better QB than Braxton.  If Brax had been out there they would have taken more chances down the field, which is why he never/rarely reached the mythical 80% (or at least not often).  Let's wait and see what Barrett does against a real pass defense this coming week.  I have a feeling we'll be missing Braxton's cannon vs Va Tech's sick secondary and once it gets cold and windy in November.  I just don't get it, sure JT looked good and did was what asked of him.  But is he an out of this world, once in a decade (or more) playmaker?  Because that's what Braxton is. 

I'd rather just watch this team and appreciate who they'll be without Braxton, but I can't imagine Barrett will do anything this season that Braxton couldn't. 

+1 HS
d5k's picture

Thought experiment: was there a single throw that Barrett made that Braxton would not have completed?  Braxton would not have missed Devin Smith wide open.  And most of the other throws were behind the line of scrimmage or short crossing routes.  I think the only remotely challenging throw was a high low corner route on a roll-out which are throws that Braxton can squeeze into much tighter windows than Barrett was dealing with.  It was a relatively vanilla game plan and he did fine but nothing spectacular.  But the stats would've been different with Braxton because the play calling with Braxton is completely different.  I think most of the people who criticize Braxton should more accurately criticize the play calling although I do not agree with that criticism either.

+1 HS