Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Where would you rank OSU in the top 25, if you were a voter?

johnblairgobucks's picture
September 1, 2014 at 7:49am
73 Comments

After week 1, knowing there still is a game between Miami, Fla and Louisville to be played tonight?

a 17 point win in Maryland had some bright spots.  It has me thinking Ohio State belongs in the top 25, just not sure where.  The potential at running back, kicking game, the talent at H back and the look of the defensive line screams top 10 team, breaking in the new QB and defensive backfield says somewhere in upper teen / lower 20's.  Offensive line and linebacker play has me somewhat concerned going forward.  Overall I'd probably slot the Buckeyes around 16 or 17.

buckeyedexter's picture

I still want to see how our secondary does against an offense that can pass.  The O line didn't look like a O line for a top ten team, but there are so many 1st time starters all over the place I'm still hopeful they can get it together and win the Big Ten and make it to the final four.

+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

1. Florida State

2. Michigan State

3. Georgia

4. Oklahoma State

5. Oregon

6. Ohio State

7. Texas A&M

8. Oklahoma

9. USC

10. Nebraska

-4 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Drop both Alabama and Auburn but keep osu and Fsu right where they were essentially?

I thought that less than okie state being a top 5 team that Fsu wasn't the best team in the country. Also find it difficult to move Nebraska up over their win against Florida Atlantic.

+8 HS
Killer nuts's picture

So Oklahoma State is number 4 in the country in your eyes because they lost to a team that is not in your top ten?

+9 HS

Oklahoma State is #4 because they barely lost to the #1 team in the country. For all we know Florida State and Oklahoma State are two top 5 teams. It's early.

-6 HS
BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture
+9 HS

Haha, I was just calling it like I saw it.

-4 HS
CincyOSU's picture

So you thought it made sense to drop Bama and Auburn out of the top 10 for winning, keep OSU where they are(how can you drop Bama and Auburn and not OSU), and move up OK St from unranked to the top 5 after they LOST? 

I'm glad you're not part of the selection committee. 

-3 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Why would you drop them? OSU was one of the few top 10 teams that covered the spread against a quality opponent. In order to drop them, a better team has to pass them and I did not see many last weekend except for aTm that could make the move. I would still say OSU is in the top 10, it's not as if Navy does not have a history of playing good teams tough.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+10 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Yes they covered the spread, but everyone seems to forget that the spread changes everyday. The AP poll came out when Braxton was still on the team. In essence, the high ranking was with Braxton at QB and the spread changed when J.T. Was QB lowering expectstions

+3 HS

And most people thought before Miller went out that it would be a close game anyways. I believe before the injury it was 17 after 13.5 to which OSU covered the original spread. I will say that if Miller was in you may be looking at 45-17 because he does not throw the pick and gets the 1st down on the option instead they settle for 3. In the end you are saying OSU should drop because Miller is gone and that changes everything, by that logic FSU, Bama and UCLA should all drop as well because they played down to bad teams.

+3 HS

Also recall a stare down throw by J.T. On a short out route, that should have been picked off by the Navy DB, and if caught, would have been a pick 6...... So would have, could have, should have works both ways. Could have been 34-24.   Just saying........... Glad it wasn't.

-4 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

I do think they should drop as expectations are adjusted with J.T. I also hate preseason rankings as I do think that UCLA  and FSU also didn't perform to the caliber of their rankings. Along with them id throw Alabama in there as well. Then you get the teams like msu who played no one, well ok in 2011 we handled Akron no problem and we all know how that went.

I think the only two teams that actually impressed me this week were Georgia and Texas A&M. Again I have no idea how good either of their opponents actually was.

Down to it, I think I remember the spread being 17.5 but regardless I think with Braxton in there you also see some other first half possessions go for touchdowns and not field goals.

At this moment I see them as roughly as 10-12 but then again I don't see who you move up. TBH id move FSU to 4-7 and then UCLA  to the 10-12 mark as well. Obviously that's not how the polls would work but we'll see. 

DrSpaceman's picture

Right now I think we're around #10... more specifically:

1. Florida State

2. Oregon

3. Oklahoma

4. Alabama

5. Auburn

6. Michigan State

7. Baylor

8. Georgia

9. TAMU

10. OSU

"Medicine is not a science" - Leo Spaceman

+4 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

LSU in for TAMU and I think this is spot on.

LEBRON

+1 HS

We'll Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Florida State, Georgia, Oregon, Texas ATM, Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama all did just as we'll, if not better.  Look, it's hard to tell, at this point.  Just my thought from watching the game.  Did anyone see a top 5 team in Ohio State, as they were heading to the locker room at halftime?  2nd half, maybe.  So I'm not going to christen the Buckeyes top 10 from one good half of football.

im pretty concerned about the 350 yards rushing they gave up.   Sure they won, which is what matters, so I'm happy at this point to say they are top 25.  Lots of football left to play.

+1 HS

Did you see a top 10 team in UCLA, FSU and bama? And they were the ones with the least amount of question marks. Does OSU have work to do? Yes, however I think the navy game served it's purpose of breaking in a new QB and OL and we saw a QB who got confident through out the game after some rookie mistakes and an OL that improved in the second half. I said it earlier, navy has made a lot of good teams look bad so I am not ready to drop them out of the top 10 just yet. I need to see more but after week 1 it's a bit premature.

+5 HS

I didn't really think OSU was preseason top 10 to begin with, based on new QB, RB, OL and attempting to retool defense.   Hard to say if beating Navy is a better win than beating West Virginia, Virginia or Oklahoma State, until the season plays out more.

i have a feeling if situations were changed a bit, and Ohio State had beaten West Virginia by 10 and Alabama had beaten Navy by 17, but gave up 350 yards rushing, we'd have a different tune.

+3 HS

Hard to say if beating Navy (9-4) is better than beating WVU (4-8) or UVA (2-10)? I understand that both may be improved but Navy is consistently an 8-9 win team. I think okie state may be good. They replace 8 offensive starters though and were predicted to be blown out by the defending champs. For every negative you say for OSU the same can be applied to those teams as well. Like I said, it is way too early to tell since Navy gives everyone fits. We should have an idea after VT. My point remains the same though, there really wasn't anyone that played much better than OSU  against a quality team to say they should drop out of the top 10. For perspective OSU gave up just as many yards at home to navy and had to hold on to win in 2009 and most would say the D was solid and we had TP not an unproven QB

+6 HS

Didnt realize i was saying anything negative about OSU.

+2 HS

It's pretty negative to say they don't look like a top 10 team when really no top 10 team looked impressive this weekend. My only stance is you can only compare them to who is in the top 10 now and not what our idea of what a top 10 team should be.

-1 HS

"It's pretty negative to say they don't look like a top 10 team when really no top 10 team looked impressive this weekend. My only stance is you can only compare them to who is in the top 10 now and not what our idea of what a top 10 team should be."

really?

so it's negative to say they didn't look like a top 10 team, because you didn't think any top 10 team looked impressive...... And I cannot judge Ohio State based on how I feel a top 10 team should look.

okay.  

So we disagree?

+2 HS

Your question is where would you rank OSU if you are a voter? Your opinion is they do not look like one which is fine. But you also have to look at what other teams did as well if you are asking where they fall in a 25 team poll. I gave you 3 teams ranked 1,2 and 7 that played very poorly and a #9 team that got blown out. UO, Stanford and MSU all played 1-AA teams. With exception of LSU and UGA the rest of the top 25 played mid majors, so who are you looking at that should jump OSU that played a quality team?

+1 HS
Mush's picture

Furious nailed his first comment. Wait until after VT and our defense gave up the same amount of yards to Navy the last time we played them but only gave up 17 to the Midshipmen who got every close call in the ball game.

+2 HS
parabuckeye's picture

John they may have given up 370 yards rushing but they also had 60 run plays. The Buckeye had 200 yards on 40 run plays. Using a little math that calculates to 300 yards if we do the 60 run plays as well. The triple option is hard to stop just ask Alabama when they played Georgia Southern in 2011 when they gave up 302 but went on to beat LSU for a National Chapionship. I have no fear when the Silver Bullets play a traditional team they will do just fine. Navy puts up those kind of yards against everyone it's not like we played Jacksonville St., South Dakota, UC Davis, or even Appalachian State. Navy AIN"T NO CUPCAKE

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

exactly-Navy doesn't throw the ball.  Even in the 4th, when they had to come back, they still ran the option.  I don't think they will be held under 250yds by anyone this year, possibly 300yds.  You cannot prepare for that offense with the precision that they run it.

BeatTTUN's picture

#1 Ohio State Buckeyes

and Yes I do have that stubborn J-ass smile on my face right now. Just in case you were wondering.

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan

+5 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Just curious, . . . J-ass smile? What does that mean? Is it short for jack-ass and if it is, why censor the "jack" part as opposed to the "ass" part. I don't know its early. Either way, upvote for making me smile.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
BeatTTUN's picture

Darn it I am trying to clean up my language

I broke verbal contain!

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

We certainly had a better weekend than the likes of Alabama, UCLA, South Carolina (Obviously), and even Florida State. As someone mentioned, we covered the spread against a solid team who very well could end the year ranked on the road. Fact is, on Barrett's INT, had he been able to just glance in Devin Smith's direction instead of throwing to the side, he hits him in the endzone, we win 41-17, and nobody is even talking about this. It was a better performance than anyone is wanting to admit. Right now, we've earned our ranking right around 5-6.

+7 HS

I see we have a serial down voter in the thread, must be attempting to stir the pot.

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I've got us as 11 or 12. But I'm of the line if thought that rankings this early should be dramatically changed week to week

Read my entire screen name....

+6 HS
countrybuckeye's picture

^This. And, waiting to see where our Buckeyes stand after two games has always been my preference.  The greatest improvement in the team is seen between Week 1 and Week 2.  

"Momma told me there would be days like this."

+2 HS
lsjSnail's picture

Hmm, I think its best to give it 6 weeks before even thinking about ranks.

+2 HS
Buck Commander's picture

We will fall and the SEC Teams will rise.......same bullshit happened last year .....remember !

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS
BigDrill's picture

I think that covering the spread was a good start, but that will be overshadowed by the massive running game our D gave up. Yes it was a win, but I agree with the posters above that our #5 ranking was based on Braxton Miller being our QB. We would not be in the top 10 if he had been hurt before the release of the polls.

So my wild guess is that even with the win we land around 13. Not bad, LSU and WIS were there this weekend. 

Don't lose sight of the goal- be undefeated, just win them all and the ranking will take care of themselves.

+3 HS
Poison nuts's picture

OSU - 8.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Right around 5-6 until someone proves otherwise. Just because Braxton is hurt, doesn't mean this team is dead. Why drop them in the rankings over one person? I didn't know that this team as a whole went from being top 5 to 15th-16th like I saw from a poster above, or even outside the top 10. A lot of teams looked vulnerable, teams who lost a lot less than this Buckeye team, teams that more than likely won't drop in the rankings as drastically as some are suggesting the Buckeyes should/will. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Lincoln's picture

I think we will have a much better appreciation of how good or not so good this team is this weekend. I love the win vs Navy - but they are so unconventional that its hard to say what we learned.

We will be facing a traditional power in Va Tech (very B1Glike team). I am interested to see how the D looks against a "normal" offense, and how JT looks against more talented (not going to say better) players on Defense.

That being said - I would rank us around 10 for now. But that could swing quite a bit Saturday around 11PM.

+2 HS
nikolajz1's picture

Somewhere between 8-10 is where I'd put them. If they look good Saturday against a really tough team then I think more people will not only have faith in the team without Braxton but also the defense which will bump them up to 6 or 7. 

CC's picture

I feel like this team is a 10-12 team, but I can't come up with 9-11 teams which I think would beat them on a neutral site.

For that reason I would say 5

In no order:
MSU, TAMU, FSU, Oklahoma

FROMTHE18's picture

11. Hard to say they are a top 10 team, hard not to say they are a top 10 team, so 11 just seems about right until we see the defense this weekend. If they come out and put on a show, I think we should fall between 6-9 in the polls until the offense starts to click more consistently. 

lljjgg's picture

1. FSU (I think by the end of the season it'll be obvious that Ok. St. was a much better team than initially believed)
2. Oregon (FCS victory, neither impressive nor unimpressive)
3. Alabama (their spotty passing game, and a defense that is still vulnerable to the spread would worry me if I were an Alabama fan; talented team but I doubt they finish without a couple of losses. I see this as a transitional year for Alabama)
4. Michigan State (FCS victory, but they don't look like they've missed a beat offensively or defensively in the off-season)
5. Auburn (completely different team with/without Nick Marshall; dominant, controlling offense with him, decent without him. A QB injury away from becoming a 3-4 loss team in my opinion, so I give MSU the edge)
6. Oklahoma (didn't get to see a whole lot based on their opening opponent, whether good or bad)
7. Ohio State (#5 was w/Braxton Miller, think they drop a couple of spots without him; defense is still a question, team's ceiling depends on how well JT is able to run the offense)
8. Georgia (absolutely dominant against a solid [but not quite as good as last year] Clemson; good defense and elite running game [with even more depth than last year] could take them very far)
9. UCLA (offense wasn't what we were expecting, team [outside of defensive unit] looked rusty; lot of potential)
10. Baylor (held an SMU team that always scores to 0 points; has an offense that will keep them in every game)

+3 HS
grantmeaname's picture

Your first 8 wasn't so bad, but I just can't agree that a team with one offensive touchdown against a team that went 2-10 last year belongs in slot #9. I didn't watch Baylor so I've got no opinion there, but I'd say LSU definitely looked more impressive out of the games I watched. UCLA won, but not the kind of victory that analysts shouldn't knock a few points off for.

+2 HS
lljjgg's picture

I considered LSU, but personally I think LSU looked terrible until the 4th quarter. They were getting run over by Wisconsin's run game, didn't really have any fighting spirit that I could see, and they had no offense to speak of until the last 15 minutes. Not to say UCLA looked any better (though UCLA's defense DID look pretty dominant), but for me I couldn't say LSU looked objectively better than UCLA to me. They had a very good fourth quarter, but at the point 3/4s of Wisconsin's starting DL had left the game and Melvin Gordon had only gotten 2 carries in that half. All that said, they DID beat #14 (regardless of how Wisconsin looked at the end of the game), so your argument has some validity to it, and wouldn't be surprised if they did move into the top10 in the actual AP Poll.

It's all relative though, I respect where you're coming from.

+1 HS
BigDrill's picture

No A&M, even after they trashed #9 in Columbia?

+2 HS
lljjgg's picture

I don't personally feel a team should jump from #21 to top10 in one week. They were impressive, but it's hard to tell how good or bad South Carolina really is (or A&M for that matter) after one week. An 11+ spot move I think would be a bit much for one win, however good it looked.

+2 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

1. Florida State

2. Oregon

3. Oklahoma

4. Georgia

5. Alabama

6. Michigan State

7. Auburn

8. OSU

9. Baylor

10. TAMU

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

1.)  Atm - destroyed a top 10 team on the road and defense looked remarkably improved.

2.)Georgia-Beat a top  15ish team by 24 points and absolutely dominated the second  half.

3.) Auburn-Beat the shit out of a multiple Rose Bowl coach in Bert in the second half.

4.)Lsu- came from down 24-7 to beat a pesky B1G team and  held them to 50 yards passing.

5.)Bama- Overcame early struggles and rebounded with the refs helping them maintain their image.

Top 5 was all we need to know this week because this is all I see being talked about.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Jameis Winston did have a Heisman Worthy, though highly jollopy, 29 yard TD run, that alone garners FSU some 1st place votes.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

#10-12.  Quite frankly, nothing that Cryami or the Louisville fighting Papa Johns can do to make me think they're a top 15 team.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

No. 5.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+2 HS
BigDrill's picture

I could see us dropping to below 10 and TA&M leaping over us. The initial polls are really nothing more than an educated guess.  After the first week it wouldn't surprise me if 21 jumped to 8 or 9, especially with such an impressive showing against a top 10 opponent.

and come on... SEC speed, right? Lol!

Nick's picture

Wow reading through this thread I think you guys maybe didn't watch all the other games (I did) and the only teams that had better games than Oh St was probably GA and TAMU. Navy is a good team and we only beat them by ~4 at home in 2009 and that was a Rose Bowl Championship team that completely shutdown Oregon. I think going against a "normal" opponent will show how dominant our defensive line is going to be this year.

1. Georgia
2. Oregon
3. Oklahoma
4. Florida State
5. Ohio State
6. Texas A&M
7. Michigan State
8. Alabama
9. Auburn
10. Stanford 

+3 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

somewhere between 12-15 IMO

if the o-line and linebackers were were better i would put them at 7ish

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

+4 HS
Nutinpa's picture

This.  I agree completely.   One of the few assessments posted on this topic that was free of scarlet and grey glasses.

Yes, we "covered" against a pretty good, solid football team.  But I saw enough out of this team and others that tell me that the Buckeyes' ceiling right now is between 10 and 12.  If they have a great game Saturday night vs. VA TECH, it'll change my mind.  But based on what I saw on Saturday, this O Line and Defense have a long way to go.

You can't spell chump without UM's picture

Honestly, after this opening week there shouldn't be a team rated #1 or #2, no one deserves it. 

Brady Hoke ate my comment

+5 HS
Kernfan's picture

Agreed.  Probably about 12 teams could stake a claim to 1, or get staked to 12, OSU included.  Too early to tell much of anything.

+2 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

alabama sure didn't make a case to be #2. wv exposed their db's and d line. sims had an ok game but he still isn't any good and coker is terrible.

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

+1 HS
northernchild's picture

This might be harsh to some, but 12 sounds realistic. There's tons of room for improvement, but if the OL doesn't improve, there's not gonna be much going for us. On the other hand, I think navy is really unique and we probly can't base much off of that game (except the OL)... So after next week, hopefully we'll have a better idea.

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Honestly, I could see us ranked anywhere between 5 and 15. I don't even know where I'd put us. Somewhere between 8-12.

This is why polls shouldn't exist until week 6.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
Redjim91's picture

1- osu- will not lose this year

2- georgia

3- a&m

4-ucla

5- fsu

ODEEZ330's picture

Fsu
Uga
Oregon
Oklahoma
Msu
Tx am
Bama
Tosu

O'Deez330
stark county football

+1 HS

I would love to see what the weekly 11Warrior Staff Top 10/25 looked like, if they had time to submit their poll throughout the season.   Objectivity, homer ism and giving each team a fair amount of viewership time goes into everyone's poll.... But it would be interesting to see what the staff thought about it.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Late to the party, but here we go.

1. FSU
  2. Oregon
  3. MSU
  4. Georgia
  5. Bama
  6. Stanford
  7. Texas A&M
  8. Oklahoma
  9. Baylor
  10. Auburn
  11. USC
  12. Ohio State
  13. LSU
  14. Nebraska
  15. UCLA
  16. Kansas State
  17. Michigan
  18. Arizona State
  19. Ole Miss
  20. Notre Dame
  21. South Carolina
  22. Mizzou
  23. UNC
  24. Wisconsin
  25. Clemson

A few things here:

• Polls are meaningless until week 6 or so. Not worth getting stressed about, but dammit they're fun to make.
  • FSU may not deserve #1, but the two teams I'd consider putting ahead of them (Oregon, MSU) didn't play good enough teams to justify jumping the defending champs.
  • After #12 or so, it's really hard to rank the teams.
  • We belong somewhere between 8 and 12 right now. Probably closer to 11-12.
  • Yes, we beat the pre-Braxton injury spread. Doesn't mean that we're as good as we'd be with a healthy Braxton at the helm. We'll slide in the polls and I'm okay with that.

EDIT: I regret to inform you all that I had previously forgotten about Michigan. Sure, it was App State, but they looked really, really impressive. They're a top-20 team in my mind right now. Still hate them, obviously, but they should be ranked.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
BuckeyeRealist13's picture

After one week I would have Texas A&M ranked number one, you don't even have them in your top 25? I'm assuming you just oversaw them. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Holy crap I knew I was missing someone. 

+3 HS

I'm not sure exactly where I would have Ohio State, but these are the teams that would be FOR SURE ahead of Ohio State. (If you are only basing it off of week one, and not last season or potential)

Texas A&M, Georgia, Michigan State, Florida State, Oregon, Auburn, Oklahoma, Stanford, USC, Georgia, LSU. So I would have Ohio State somewhere around 12. Don't get too angry at me, these things sort themselves out and OSU just needs to win and they will be just fine. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

Sorry, Baylor would be ahead to, so i would have Ohio State at #13.

socalbuck2014's picture
+1 HS
Bucksfan's picture

It doesn't matter.  If they're no worse than 12-1 and win the B1G championship, they're in the playoff.

I'm tempted to drop the Buckeyes, but Navy might actually win out, and it's possible that none of those games will be close.  So, why drop the Buckeyes for a slow start 17 point win over a team that might finish 11-1?

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

There's only one ranking I care about - is OSU in the top 4 when the Selection Committee announces their final rankings?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS