Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Navy Win Was Impressive

0 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture
August 31, 2014 at 7:59am
21 Comments

As you may know, I was displeased with Meyer's coaching job over the course of 2.5 quarters. 

However, I was very impressed with the halftime adjustments Meyer made. Not only did we outscore Navy 28-10 in the second half, but our offense and defense seemed to become much more comfortable.

The offense: 

I am confident in the offensive's ability to find their own identity under JT Barrett. It's a different offense than the Braxton-led one. It may take a few games to break in, but I believe it will be a very potent offense by the time Big Ten play rolls around. Barrett and the skill players were beginning to find a groove in the fourth quarter. As for the offensive line, they'll improve the more they play as a unit. Remember the Buffalo game last year? Yeah, not very good looking for our o-line.

Defense:

The defense was on the field the majority of the game, partly as a result of a stagnant offense. Their performance was pretty admirable overall. There were some blown assignments and poor execution on some plays, but it was an overall good performance by our defense to keep Navy's attack at bay for most of the game. 

Is this playoff team right now? No, but there are no playoff caliber teams in week 1. A team either progresses or regresses as the year goes on. The growing pains of playing Navy will only make this team stronger. I think we'll have a very good football team by October. We could very well have a squad similar to Michigan State had last year: a great defense with an offense that improves as the year goes on. 

I think we'll be fine. A 17 point road win over a very good Navy team should not be looked down upon. We were breaking in a new offense and defense in the process. We can only go up from here.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments