Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Alabama vs Ohio state

aztecs4924's picture
August 30, 2014 at 9:35pm
10 Comments

Watched Bama and UCLA give equally unimpressive victories against average teams like the buckeyes.  I really dont see either teams sliding in the polls.  Guaranteed Buckeyes are going to slide, but whos got a legitimate case of actually jumping O.State

Groveport Heisman's picture

UCLA scored like 6 offensive points versus a Virginia team that should have been out manned at every position. Bama had the refs basically assure a victory or else their score would have been flip flopped. Not sure if us covering the spread deserves a drop in the polls.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
OSU069's picture

texas A&M. They beat a top 10 SEC team on the road by 20. They have to be in the top 5.

nikolajz1's picture

OSU will probably drop to around 10-11. Auburn should jump Bama. A&M will be 9 or 10. 

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I doubt OSU falls based on the game performance.  Maybe if they drop OSU because of no Braxton...which I was wondering if they were going to do that before the game. 

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
DEF D's picture

OSU will not drop in coaches poll, perhaps the AP, but the majority of those dudes have never played a down of football in their life and base their rankings on illogical bullshit just so they can make a name for themselves and get some face time; ie, Doug leismeries

-2 HS
tOSUperiour's picture

You beat me to the topic. You posted yours while I was writing mine. Good call. I don't think OSU drops. Unless a team loses, or another team blows the doors off a higher ranked opponent on the road, like TAMU, I think week 1 should be a wash.

We don't give a Da*n for the whole state of *ichigan cause we're from OHIO!

-1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Keep in mind that the next poll will reflect the loss of Braxton miller. 

Read my entire screen name....

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Bama needed favorable calls + WVU dropping like half a dozen perfectly catchable passes.  Their defense is suspect as hell.

FSU is also getting the calls tonight. 

I guess it would just be too embarassing to have the #1 and #2 teams lose to unranked opponents.  It would show how truly meaningless preseason polls are.

-1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Our line before the game was somewhere 14-16 points. We one by 17 points - I understand the game was close and that doesn't tell the whole story but I've read some posts (probably by trolls) that we should be out of the top 25. Thank goodness the real polls don't come out for awhile 

-1 HS
BamaMike's picture

I'm with Optimistic Buck, the drop in polls is a reflection of the loss of Braxton Miller, far more than any performance on the field.

As far as Alabama goes, there were some pretty awful calls in that game.  The flag on the dude on the sidelines, chief among them.  I'm just thankful the WVU receivers had their brickhand gloves on, or things could have been different, for sure.  We did drop a wide open ball that would have been 6 as well, but the past is past.

Our defense is more than suspect, it's just simply not good.  I don't know what they're going to do to fix it, but if we allow those short passes in the flats to be had whenever a team wants, it's going to get ugly.  If we can't stop a mediocre hurry-up style offense, the A&M and Auburn games are going to be a blowout. 

I was feeling pretty good about our defense, and really worried about our QB.  While the QB didn't put up anything approaching a stellar performance, he did do much better than I had anticipated.  Some passes in the dirt on 3rd down toward a wide open receiver was the worst of it.  The pick was something I was expecting,so I didn't get too riled up about that.  I know one thing, he's gotta start trying to pass it to someone other than Amari Cooper on every pass play, or we're gonna see a lot more of those passes picked off.

My girl was upset over the drop in the polls, too.  I was upset about Alabama's performance.  In the end, though, if Ohio State and Alabama wins out, wins their conference title game... they're in the playoffs.  So, just gotta keep on doing your thing, the polls are crapshoots and total guesses at this point, anyway.

+1 HS