Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

tyvis powell

Oakland Buckeye's picture
August 30, 2014 at 5:23pm
40 Comments

How is no one talking about Powell? This cat was all over the field. Yes Bennett, Bosa &  Adolphus dominated line, Lee had good game, but Powell was omnipresent out there, he seemed to be in on EVERY play. Also - looked like Bell/ Burrows joined Curtis Grant club.

DOUEVENURBZ's picture

I saw he was involved a lot. But with so many missed tackles

+9 HS
bucks4nuts's picture

He also is slow 

"To The House"

AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

Not sure why you got down votes here because what you said is true, he got beat so badly on the corner runs, I was saying this the whole game Navy ran around the corners. We simply couldn't catch them. 

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Oh, they are talking....

+3 HS

Thanks for the intellectual tweet - a few missed tackles - dude had 13 tackles from the free safety position. While jbook was running his mouth Powell was working....

+9 HS
KBonay's picture

Then I assume our own writers here at 11w are also running their mouth.  This was taken from Chris Lauderback's 5 Things article: http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/08/39615/five-thi...

Tyvis Powell turned in a career high and team leading 13 tackles but was anyone overly impressed with his performance? I wasn't feeling his work on the option and felt Vonn Bell (7 tkl) should have seen more time ahead of Cam Burrows. A

And DJ from today's Skull Session

Tyvis Powell's open-field tackling left a lot to be desired at times. A- for the secondary, though.

+3 HS

I dont find Chris' or DJ's comments asinine or offensive like jbook's - 2 totally different things - they expressed opinion which I disagree with - jbook was being a dick.

I have never seen anyone in 30+ years of football criticize someone who made 13 tackles in one game. RDS missed tackles regularly - but made a lot more that he missed - same with Powell -FROM THE FREE SAFETY POSTION!!!!  Why  is there no criticism of CGrant or the linebacking corp? a lot of these were their tackles - including some of the ones Powell missed - the LBs were not even in on the play.

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

@ Oakland.  Your original post asked 'why is no one talking about Powell'.  I replied 'they are'.  I am not here to argue on his performance, I am a Buckeye fan.  I am just throwing out there what is being said. 
In regards to Jbook's tweet.  That was made during the game after a missed tackle.  He was not the only one that was voicing his displeasure over the few missed tackles TP had.  Go find the game-day forum. 
Remember, Buckeye Nation can be a tough crowd.  It's not always what you did, but also what you didn't do.  TP played a tough game.  Was very active.  But some folks are pointing out he had a few key missed tackles. 

cool - good dialog - not a jbook fan at all. 

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

I'm not a Biddle fan, but I follow him too.  Sometimes info supersedes opinions, which they both seem to have strong ones!

Groveport Heisman's picture

Yea he didn't dominate at all...I seen him backing up when opposing ball carriers were coming full steam.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

ODEEZ330's picture

Bell by far best safety. Powell n burrows looked scary

O'Deez330
stark county football

+6 HS
lljjgg's picture

I agree. Much more field awareness from Bell than almost anyone else I saw. He also has a very nice form tackle, which has been kind of a rarity the last couple of years.

+7 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Yes, Bell's form tackles stood out to me, as well.  He made several PERFECT form tackles.  Textbook.

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

I freaking love everything about Tyvis Powell. The way he plays, the way he prepares and the way he goes about being the leader in the secondary. Its week one against very fundamentally sound, ball control offense. There were some tackling issues...butlove the way Powell attacked that breakaway and saved the TD. Running it down from the backside. Toom a solid angle...which is a pleasant surprise after the horror show that we witnessed the second half of last year. Looks like they are getting coached up on technique. Ill take it.

+3 HS
osu407's picture

Personally, I think it is impossible to predict the ability of any defensive player in a game against Navy.  The scheme and responsibilities are different than they will ever be again all season.

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Going to be fun to watch next week - Tyvis will only get better ever week. Still has a lot to learn 

+2 HS
buckskin's picture

Regarding the Bell/Burrows situation:  I was surprised to see Burrows start (I know, I know the depth chart listed OR), but didn't see much of #16 when Burrows was in, but saw #11 all over the place when Bell got in the game.  I don't want to hear at the end of the season again from our staff:  "I don't know why Bell wasn't in there".  This year was supposed to have better talent evaluation; especially on the defensive side of the ball.  Wasn't overly impressed with Powell.  Waiting to see what happens against an offense that passes more.  Will get a real good feel for the entire secondary and their skills.

lljjgg's picture

I kind of wonder if Burrows didn't get the start for this game because he's bigger (though according to the roster not by much; looks much bigger though) than Bell, and they assumed they'd need big bodies in the game to stop the inevitable Navy running game. Once it seemed like Burrows (and much of the rest of the secondary/LB group) weren't having tons of luck, I noticed Bell got put in and seemed to stay in for the rest of the game. After that long 80 or so yard run (and scoring drive) where they ran it right at Burrows safety spot in particular seemed to be the last time I saw much of Burrows in the game. Don't get me wrong though, I think Burrows will be great at safety, he just looked a bit green today. He's making a difficult transition from playing CB last year to Safety this year.

Watching Bell, to me it seems illogical not to have him on field as much as humanly possible from this point onwards. The kid just has the "It" factor I'm not seeing a whole lot of on the defensive side of the ball outside of our stellar DL.

+5 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Fair assessment and well said. Could not have said it better myself.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
DEF D's picture

Not good when safety is making a lot of tackles.how many tackles did Curtis Grant have besides that sack (which was dope)

+1 HS
sb97's picture

Grant was the 4th(ish) leading tackler with 7.  I would like to see a breakdown of how many snaps each LB played because I saw quite a bit of rotation.

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Only linebackers I recall seeing were perry, lee, grant and worley. But was hard to tell because everything was so compacted. Looked like at one point reeves was at an OLB spot. i did notice a rotation through the secondary. And not as much along the D Line as we were lead to believe. Diesel and Bosa didnt seem to ever leave the field. i did see frazier and schutt working in. But beyond that, until they rotated the young pups in at the end once it was settled, dont recall seeing either guy leave.

+1 HS
sb97's picture

Powell led all with 13 tackles.

Perry came next with 9.

Bell, Lee, and Grant were next with 7 a piece.

+1 HS

13 tackles according to Patrick

OSU069's picture

I like Powell but he really wasn't very good today. He had a lot of tackles but he also missed a lot. Vonn Bell looked very impressive today. 

+3 HS
tussey's picture

I agree.  For as many tackles he was in on, is seemed like he missed just as many.  Same thing with Bell, he was all over the field making plays and there was only really 1 play that comes to mind where he got like ran over.  

+3 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

[Insert joke about how good the pass defense was]

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
chirobuck's picture

How about we play a team that throws the ball before we try and figure out which safeties should be out there

^ best post ever ^

+3 HS
almurray10's picture

Honestly, I was a little disappointed with Tyvis. He seemed lost at times. If he takes a better angle, that ball carrier doesn't even have a chance to reach for the pylon on that TD run.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Good team win!! Some media thinks OSU will lose at least 4 games this year because of the loss of B Miller. Well, there is one game we didn't lose!

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

-1 HS
TheBigCat's picture

I thought Tyvis played a horrible game today.  He missed more tackles than he made, and took terrible pursuit angles.

I don't get why the discussion is on Bell/Burrows starting.  To me, Vonn is a no-brainer.  He brings an x-factor of athleticism, and made some solid form tackles yesterday.  Vonn has got to be on the field.

Then Burrows/Powell are a toss-up to me.  Realistically, if Powell is the best we have at safety, we're in trouble.

As others have said, it's difficult to truly evaluate a defense after playing against a triple-option team.  But, I expected this team to fly around to the ball and make plays, and I didn't see that today.  Players got too many YAC yards, and I thought we played pretty poor assignment football (continued to have nobody over the pitchman).  They just seem soft.

After 3 years of optimism with this team, I'm taking a wait and see on this team.  

-4 HS

Appreciate the optimism" (sarcasm intended) - 13 tackles - what game did you watch?

NashBuckeye's picture

I am an admitted Chris Ash Kool Aid drinker, but none of the players in OSUs Secondary have proven themselves to be mentioned with the long line of great OSU Safeties and Corners...We have been blessed with the likes of Springs, Winfield, Doss, Damon Moore, Whitner, Malcolm Jenkins, etc.

I hope Tyvis joins this list, but we will find out during this season. I think the Coaching and scheme will allow for Playmakers to emerge.

bull1214's picture

when a safety is the leading tackler that's rarely a good thing. navy option may have impacted this but im guessing shazier would've had about 20 tackles if he was out there. lee showed some explosive potential at olb. for me, that's what really stuck out in this game.

+1 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

Man this has way more to do with that triple option.  Navy is going to be top three in rushing this season, those guys were getting to the second level constantly, powell made a ton of tackles out of necessity.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

Killer nuts's picture

Urban said in his presser today that Tyvis Powell graded out as a defensive champion (along with lee and Grant). That's all you need to hear to know he played well regardless of the criticism he's getting on this board 

-1 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

Killer nuts's picture

Gotta believe that as the season progresses Perry and Lee will overtake Tyvis for leading tackler

edr4225's picture

Yeah Powell is kinda slow, but he has good football instincts IMO.  He is locked in as a starting safety and thats not changing anytime soon.  He has never been questioned by Urban for losing his spot, it always been Bell vs Burrows for who starts at the other safety spot. Obviously, Powell must be doing something in practice to earn his starting job and while he did look bad one time getting badly burned by the navy QB for like a 15 yard gain, his overall play of 13 tackles was solid.  

lets go bucks!!