Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

App St. v. TTUN? WHO ARE YOU PULLING FOR, SERIOUSLY. (AND WHY)

sjOH1OSt's picture
August 29, 2014 at 8:27am
90 Comments

We all remember the amount of ammo the App. State game gave us back when they took down TTUN in 2007.  And, I have to admit, it was enjoyable.  That being said, I for one, would rather see TTUN destroy App. State and win a high majority of their games leading up to our game.  Losses to MSU or ND could suffice, but in all honesty, TTUN hasn't finished better than 4th in a pretty "two-to-three team" top-heavy B1G since 2007.   Now, it hasn't taken anything away from the rivalry in my book, but to some it has.  I would much prefer TTUN be the best/2nd best team in the B1G going into that game with everything on the line...  Not only is it more enjoyable to win those games (specifically, to watch scUM fans walk out of the stadium pissed off), it's also more respectable nationally. 

I will always understand those who want TTUN to lose every game they play because they can't stand their horrible fan base, team, or state in general.  And, in all reality, if it happened I'd be 150% content with it.  Win-win if you ask me. 

Oh and by the way, I'm new to 11W and absolutely love it!

WHAT'S THE 11W CONSENSUS? 

kareemabduljacobb's picture

Isn't tsun favored by like 27 points or something?  This shouldn't be close, but they (tsun) probably won't cover the spread.  It's not the same App St team that was winning 3 straight FCS championships and don't have Armanti Edwards QBing for them anymore.

+1 HS
sjOH1OSt's picture

I wouldn't put $ on app st, that's a no-brainer.  But, nonetheless, there's a lot of people pulling for App. St... not something I'm on board with.  What hurts the conference, hurts OSU's national respect.  I'm all for more national respect, especially if it'll help our in conference SOS. 

"Baby Godfather"

-1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Agree completely.  I don't think Appy State has much of a chance to win.  Of course, who thought they did back in 2007?

However, I would love to see Michigan get bit again for daring to put Appy State back on the schedule.  If Michigan thinks that a win tomorrow in anyway will atone for that 2007 loss, then they are sorely mistaken.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+3 HS
nmaxwell's picture

michigan fan checking in, and i agree with you (except for wanting to see another loss).  they could win by 200 points, and it wouldn't erase the fact that they lost in 2007, with what was a much more complete, albeit obviously unprepared team not taking app state seriously.  it's a lose-lose to even put on the schedule, imo.  just like florida could kick the crap out of georgia southern, and it still wouldn't erase the fact that they got beat without their opponent completing a single pass.  love underdog stories usually, but obviously not in the case of "The Horror"

i expect ohio state, michigan state, and michigan to take care of business tomorrow.  thank god for college football

IH8UOFM's picture

For one day, I will be the biggest App State fan in the world.

+9 HS
BuckeyeRick's picture

An App St win or even a scare would be hilarious, but if that did happen the media would talk all season long about a weak B1G. In order to help Ohio State and the rest of the B1G, it's time for TTUN to stop sucking for a while. I don't think the game will be in question. TTUN should roll Appi St.

-2 HS
sjOH1OSt's picture

Right there with you Rick! The B1G in general needs to perform well for a few years straight to gain national respect. 

"Baby Godfather"

-2 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

My minds tellin me scUM!

But my BODY!...............my BAAAAAADEEEE's tellin' me appy state.  

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I prefer for them to be undefeated when we play them.

Read my entire screen name....

-4 HS
BullCityBuckeye's picture

This.  While a loss to App. State would be embarrassing to the Skunkweasels (and we would get a good chuckle), a "first loss of the season" to Ohio State would *hurt*.  Bad.  For a long time:-)   

That being said, I will not be disappointed at all if ASU pulls off the shocker.

Curt Heinrichs's picture

Agreed. No disappointment either way. I always want U of M to beat ND because the Leapin' Leprechauns aren't on our schedule. While the Rich Rod era was nice and losing to Toledo and App State still make me smile, I much prefer a highly ranked (and soon to be disappointed) opponent in The Game

-1 HS
mr.green's picture

I want them to hurt. EVERY DAY. EVERY GAME. Go App State. 

+2 HS
Hitman61's picture

App St. for sure. Horror II would be fuel for along time.

LebBuckeye

+6 HS
BuckeyeInOrlando's picture

Always root against michigan. ALWAYS.

+15 HS
buckskin's picture

Appy State all the way.  While a huge part of me wants them to be undefeated when we play them (anybody remember the Cooper years and that pain in those losses), another loss to them would be tremendous.  Either way, it's a win/win for us.

+4 HS
sharks's picture

UM is going to wreck this App State iteration, but it'll be worth it to see all the flashback replays of The Horror

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

AJBor41's picture

I get all of the arguments for a stronger B1G, the joy of beating a top UM team, and everything else in that column. However, to me, none of that trumps seeing your hated rival lose to an FCS school. If for some reason, them losing their opener to a bad FCS team keeps us out of the playoffs, then I'll eat my words.

Until then, APPY APPY APPY!!!

+2 HS
sjOH1OSt's picture

respectfully disagree.. this rivalry exists as one of the best because of its history of an even (and elite) playing field.  if scUM continues its' pitfall, we're going to watch the relevance of "The Game" decline year after year.  Also, how much joy do you get from beating a team that can't beat an FCS team?  shouldn't be much, but then again, it is TTUN (a relevant rival, for now). 

"Baby Godfather"

+2 HS
AJBor41's picture

I didn't celebrate any less in 2007 when I went to Ann Arbor and watched us dominate them in the cold and rain that year.

While I understand your comment, I just don't share your concern. UM isn't going to end up as a bottom tier program anytime in my lifetime. Their name will still bring in recruits, just as it currently is, and they'll get a better coach to eventually build them back up to a contender. In the meantime, The Game hasn't diminished in my mind. Don't forget, in 2007, the only other teams they lost to were all ranked at the end of the year, as was UM. So, sneaking in a loss of to an FCS school didn't hurt them THAT much, but it certainly made me happy.

+1 HS
sjOH1OSt's picture

The celebration would simply be that much sweeter... but, your stance is just as valid as mine.  To each their own!

"Baby Godfather"

AJBor41's picture

Agreed. The most important thing, and one I know we're in agreement on.... Go Bucks!!!

Frimmel's picture

As much as I like to see misery inflicted on TTUN they're not done paying for the nineties. And the more hope they have, the bigger their dreams, the bigger the payback that can be delivered in Columbus in November.

Which of course shouldn't be taken to mean I'll actually be rooting for scUM or that their losing wouldn't be effing HI-larious but I don't really want Appy State to win. I'd like for Appy to make 'em look stupid and leave TTUN questioning their manhood and whether they can be properly defined as football players. I want them to feel really shitty about a victory that was already going to be hollow.

+1 HS
AkronBuckeye13's picture

Whoever picked the featured article for Wikipedia today has to be a Buckeye fan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

+2 HS
Fatpants's picture

"but michigan winning would help the rivalry and be better for the b1g"

Fuck em. Go Appy State.

+4 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

Agree.  People are going to root for Michigan because of media perception?

Give me a break.  Besides, the media knows what we've known all our lives.  Michigan sucks.

+2 HS
DannyBeane's picture

If App State won, I would probably pass out from hypoxia due to laughing so hard. Suck it Michigan,

+4 HS
OH1O State's picture

I NEVER route for M*chigan, but when they're playing Out of Conference I do route for the B1G.
So for this game, I am routing for the BigTen.

Edit: *root, *root, *rooting

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

-4 HS
Alhan's picture

Root/rooting in this usage.

"Nom nom nom" - Brady Hoke

+1 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

I hope while your on your route, you don't lose your sense of direction.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+3 HS
OH1O State's picture

*you're

+1 HS
OH1O State's picture

I'm usually the one who is the grammar Nazi.
This burns to the core....

+2 HS
sjOH1OSt's picture

Obviously there are those who don't mind "kicking them while they're down", when referring to TTUN and their recent stint in the B1G/The Game.  However, there are also those who would much rather see their sh*tty fan base build all their sorry-ass hopes back up with a great season, JUST TO BE CRUSHED BY THE BUCKEYES!!!!! - SIGN ME UP!

"Baby Godfather"

Squirrel Master's picture

I really don't care but if Appy St wins, I will love it. More for the upset value and the repeat than wanting to see UM lose. Mostly I just like when they look bad, win or lose.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

bucks_symphony's picture

The hell with TTUN! It would give me so much enjoyment to watch a repeat of 2007 App. St. Game. TTUN fans wouldn't feel sorry for us or root for us if we were that bad. NO?! They made sure to make us as miserable as possible in the 1990's when I first was able to start rooting for the Scarlet and Grey and I'm not going to start now. App. St. -45 TTUN- 38.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Great debate - I think all of us in some small way would admit having ttun lose to App State would be completely awesome and ttun would probably implode. However I think there is the other side that think if that happened then the nationwide media perception of the B1G would completely be a headliner and we don't want that especially with the playoff this year. 

buckeyeboy31's picture

App State because fuck *ichigan

+3 HS
TheShookster's picture

I'll cheer for the Big Ten out of conference and in bowl games...except for Michigan. I hope they lose every game every year. At this point it honestly doesn't matter what the Big Ten does, the perception is going to be that we suck. The ONLY way this changes is if someone can win the national title. If Michigan is undefeated going into The Game the experts will be quick to point out how awful Michigan's schedule is. 

If Wisconsin beats LSU, there narrative shifts towards this only being a once in a while kind of thing and that LSU wins that game 9 out of 10 times. There is only one way in my mind that the Big Ten gets any respect, and that's winning the championship. Otherwise, national perception will always have an anti-Big Ten spin to it. So no, I will not ever be cheering for Michigan to win. I hope Appalachian State wins that game, every day of every year. 

+4 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

I have only hoped TTUN would win one game ever and that was LLLLLLLoyd Carr's last game and it was only because they played Florida who is an easy #2 on my list of schools I hate.  Can't say I worked up much enthusiasm for that game though.

I'd be giddy if Appy St won again because Ann Arbor will burn to the ground that night.  Dave Brandon will need the SWAT team to protect him.

What's more important to me is that Sparty and Wisky win THEIR games.  Those games are of relevance.

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Said it before, I'm an Ohio State fan. If TTUN loses every game, that's fine with me. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
MichiganBuckeye222's picture

If App State wins, Michigan will fire Hoke.

i like having Hoke as their coach.

go bleu (misspelled on purpose)

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

+3 HS
J.Mo's picture

Go Appalachian State! I'll root for MSU/Wisconsin/Nebraska/Penn State to strengthen the B1G image.

+6 HS
sjOH1OSt's picture

haha, touché.  I can live with that!

"Baby Godfather"

Alhan's picture

App State baby! If they win I'm going to have to get a hat and shirt.

Think TTUN would schedule them a third time if the unthinkable happens?

"Nom nom nom" - Brady Hoke

+1 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

No because only someone as dumb as Dave Brandon would do that and he will need the witness protection program tomorrow night if Appy St wins.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

TTUN winning big can only help OSU.  If it's a close game, though, I'll definitely be rooting for App State.  TTUN winning close is almost as bad as them losing, so at that point, they might as well lose, right?

Class of 2010.

+2 HS
KB3RG's picture

Have to say Michigan. Because with Hoke on the hot seat. A loss to Appalachian St could mean bringing in a better coach...

sjOH1OSt's picture

great point!

"Baby Godfather"

VintonCountyBuck's picture

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+14 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Meatchicken? Never, can I see a time that I would like to see scum win. I would, well I just can not put it into enough words, but I would just be thrilled and even more than that if scum loses, not just to Appy st, but to everyone. F__K THAT TEAM UP NORTH!!!!!!!!! The one with the puke colors of what, maize and blue or whatever. I don't even like their helmets. If I was not so tired from just doing a 12 hours of work, I would go into an alltime rant about that suck ass, screwed up bunch that call theirselves a football team. Hoke a poke a, he wishes he knew how to coach. That wannabe fred flintstone has no clue. I hope they score 3 points, for the whole year. Bullshit I hope they don't score a point this year. Appy st 42 Scum 0. That's the score I want to see.

+2 HS
BuckeyeSouth's picture

Yeah, but how do you REALLY feel, Stu?

Embrace it.

+2 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I never want Michigan to be 2nd to us.  Remember the game of the century in 2006?  Yeah...  we had nothing left after that game and it showed in the BCSNCG.  I want "the game" to be competitive, but I don't want us to run out of gas from it a week before the B1G title game like last year either.

I'd rather Appy St. beat them and them suck all season long.

+2 HS
Dmac3212's picture

We had like 50 days off.....thats the worst excuse I have heard for the massacre 

Hovenaut's picture

AP ST.

B/c FM.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+6 HS
MrBobDobalina's picture

Just realized you were much more succinct than me a couple comments down.

buckny's picture

ARAS!!

Always Root Against scUM

+1 HS
MrBobDobalina's picture

Pulling for App. St. because fuck *ichigan.

+1 HS
UrbanPirate's picture

Classic conflict. Unfortunately it usually seems like more of a lose-lose scenario than a win-win 

Just... Go Bucks.

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

There's only two things I look forward to each Saturday in CFB season; a Buckeye win, and the distinct delicacy known as tears of the Sun and Blue.  Never gets old. Ever.

Go App St Mountaineers. 

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Appalachian State, because I am an alumnus.

Just some insight, this team really doesn't stand a chance this year. They had a hall of fame coach, coming off back to back FCS national championships, with NFL talent littered all over the roster in 2007.

Coach is gone, coming off worst season in decades, with no bona fide NFL talent.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+5 HS
js2378's picture

I don't watch sports media anymore, and an undefeated OSU goes to the playoffs every time (there will never be more than 4 undefeated teams). OSU schedules 1 good OOC game, and with MSU and Wisconsin and others getting respect, a good TTUN is not necessary for us to get into the playoffs. Thus, it's App State all day, every day. 

+1 HS
GOOMBAY's picture

This game presents a lose-lose scenario for UM. That's good enough for me.

+4 HS
osu_killernuts's picture

App State.

I want to see Hoke in his usual dumbfounded look, or the classic crying scUM fans.

Hate is a strong word.  I hate ESecPN almost as much as I hate the whole SEC conference which is a close second to TTUN.

+2 HS
STL Buckeye's picture

I will never root for scUM!

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

What do you call the driver of a car with UofM favorites Csont'e York, Taylor Lewan and Frank Clark in it?

Officer.

+1 HS
northernchild's picture

as someone who lives in the south and has to contend with people saying the iron bowl is the greatest rivalry, I think ttun has to be good in order for it to be worth it. I know many think they should lose every game, but frankly last years game would've felt a lot better had they not sucked the entire year. To me the greatest satisfaction is taking something when they're actually close.

+1 HS
BHT's picture

It is TTUN; I want them to lose every game they play and more.

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

Anyone who said ttun is a communist (but I still love all my fellow Buckeye fans). My second favorite team is who ever is playing that team up north.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

Patriot4098's picture

It's more a question of who am I NOT pulling for.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

+1 HS
BoFuquel's picture

App. St, as I do for any team to beat any of The Other Th'Hurteen. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

buckuar's picture

My only hope for tomorrow is that it's close enough that Hoke has to actually put the headphones on... 

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

If I could watch the game live, but I can't because the Buckeyes are playing, I would love it if Hoke would have to leave mid-third qtr to go take a poop.

Gobucks2204's picture

I hope they lose tomorrow, and for every game they ever play. I'm not worried about the Big Ten reputation. I would rather Michigan be demoralized heading into the game and then be thoroughly defeated by Ohio State as well.  I want them to have a difficult time recruiting since they are so bad.  Consequently, we will keep our players in Ohio, and steal some from Michigan too.

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I hope they lose tomorrow, and for every game they ever play. I'm not worried about the Big Ten reputation. I would rather Michigan be demoralized heading into the game and then be thoroughly defeated by Ohio State as well.  I want them to have a difficult time recruiting since they are so bad.  

Now THIS is the kind of thorough, unfiltered hate I'm talking about,  +1

All this conference reputation people are chirping about? Pshh. Everyone else take care of business and conference reputation will be just fine.  Ohio St beats Navy/Virginia Tech.  MSU whoops Oregon.  Wisconsin stuns and stomps the ever lovin' dog snot out of LSU.   Conference pride restored and the universe is right again.  With apologies to the 2-3 behaved wolvies that frequent this forum, there's never, ever, EVER reason to root for those arrogant douchenozzles up there.

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

The Mountaineers....for the LOLZ.

Knarcisi's picture

App St should never have scheduled this game. I know you get a million bucks, but they could have found 20 other teams to do that with. Wen you did what they did in 2007, you walk away, and have it remembered that way forever. I feel bad for them now, because scUM is probably going to blow them out, and if I'm scUM, I run it up if I get the chance. 

Redjim91's picture

"I hate Michigan, I hate Michigan, I hate Michigan, Funk the Wolverines"  Go App State.... or Miami, Oh....or Utah....or Notre Dame...well maybe not Notre Dame.

+2 HS
toledobuckeyefanjim's picture

Don't care who TSUN is playing, I root for the other team. Period. And I will root for Notre Dame next week to beat the Wolver-weenies.

+5 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

In a perfect world they play 70 overtimes and both schools players are so spent they lose the rest of their games

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

bigbadbuck's picture

My DNA won't allow me to root for Missagain...................

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

+1 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

Perfect scenario for me is scUM loses again to Appy State but then beats Notre Dame.

+1 HS
_muckfichigan_'s picture

I think we'll do fine beating an undefeated msu and wisconsin in the BIG championship.

GO APP ST!!!!!!!

+1 HS
BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture

I have weighed all of the very logical arguments in this thread, but I can't help but long for that beautiful day in 2007, when TTUN finally realized they suck at the same time the rest of the college football world understood that fact.

I'm rooting for Appalachian State to win in a close game...just enough for Hoke to keep his job.

(I'm guessing that the Wolverines won't smoke pot before the game this time...)

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

BuckeyeAsylum's picture

Normally I'd pull for tsun so the conference can gain respect and make our wins more meaningful. That being said, I can't entirely say I'd be disappointed seeing that blow to the nuts early on for them. For me, its a win win. Either tsun wins as intended and doesn't make an ass of itself or they get humiliated again and all the michigan men lose their fucking minds.

Byaaaahhh's picture

Lose all the way. I don't care if UM won't help our SoS; we haven't had that luxury in a while and we don't need it. While it would be good for the rivalry, I can't pass up a chance to see them get castrated on the field a second time.

buckeyedude's picture

I would love for Appy State to win so all of my TTUN fan co-workers would STFU and their season would be essentially over and I can stop hearing about the September Heisman.

BuckeyeChris's picture

I'm really not sure who I'd root for if Putin invaded Michigan, so I'm not the one to ask, here.