Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Mount Rushmore of College Football Coaches

knoch11's picture
August 28, 2014 at 7:24pm
9 Comments

Bleacher Report's Ben Kercheval recently wrote an article covering who he believed to be the four greatest coaches in college football history. His choices were:

-Paul "Bear" Bryant

-Tom Osborne

-Bobby Bowden

-Pop Warner

Here's a link to the article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2176846-the-mount-rushmore-of-college...

Personally, my MR of Coaches would have to be:

-Fielding Yost (Despite coaching scUM in a weak era, the man led them to 6 National Titles, including a four year stretch).

-Paul Brown (The football world constantly forgets what this man did for the sport of football; to this day, his methods for running a football team, both in practice and on game day, are still used).

-Paul "Bear" Bryant (Basically the Paul Brown of the south).

-Bobby Bowden (Despite it coming at the expense of forfeited games by Joe Paterno, he is nonetheless the winningest coach in college football history).

I desperately wanted to put Woody on there, but I'm trying very hard to at least appear unbiased.

Who would all of you have?

Jack Burton's picture

- Paul Brown

- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

- Knute Rockne 

- Bear Bryant

It's all in the reflexes - Me

Rob Reese's picture

I desperately wanted to put Woody on there, but I'm trying very hard to at least appear unbiased.

I completely understand.  I'll be the bad guy here; any discussion of great CFB head coaches in the modern era (I think I read somewhere the CFB HoF considers modern era circa 1936?), would be impossible to not include Wayne Woodrow Hayes. 

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Bobby Bowden may have won a lot of games but I have a tough time putting him in the same group as a Bear Bryant or Pop Warner.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+1 HS
srslydood's picture

Not sure how you can't put Woody in there with all the championships he won. Modern era, (as much as I hate to say it) Nick Saban would have to get a strong look with all his championships too.

GreatLakesBeer's picture

Woody Hayes

Paul Brown

Jim Tressel

Urban Meyer.........Duh

If you will it dude, it is no dream

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

A Buckeye coach Mt. Rushmore? Sure.

An all-time CFB Mt. Rushmore? Nah.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

lamplighter's picture

Tom Osborne?  Great coach, but not sure he's Rushmore worthy.  I'd say Bear, Knute, Woody and Bud Wilkinson (Oklahoma - pretty gaudy stats there)

+1 HS
kmp10's picture

Five national titles, 13 B1G titles and 238 wins over 28 years in an era LONG before 12 and 13 games seasons and bowl games as a reward for mediocrity were commonplace. There is NOTHING biased about Woody Hayes being on this list ahead of Bowden, especially, and Osborne too. I like and respect Tom Osborne and his inclusion is certainly not bothersome… but Bobby Bowden over Hayes is just insulting, in my opinion, despite his all time win total. 

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I suppose it would depend on the criteria. How many seasons coached? Amount of titles or winning percentage? Or Both? Or would it also count for achievements outside of football, like teaching, community service, volunteer programs, etc.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes