Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Yes, Mark May, again.

tOSUperiour's picture
August 28, 2014 at 7:00pm
36 Comments

Did anyone just catch SportsCenter? They cut to SVP, Brian Griese, and Mark May. SVP asked the guys which was the most intriguing storyline of the season, and right out of the gate, naturally, Mark May jumps on Ohio State because of his concern for the team without Braxton Miller. In all of college football, a shoulder injury is the most intriguing storyline in the sport? I'm pretty level headed w/the rest of the (s)E(c)SPN staff, but Mark May doesn't even try to hide his biased views anymore. Too bad Mark May didn't sign up for the SEC Network. Oh well.

kareemabduljacobb's picture

What's so wrong with that?  A top 5 teams loses their star player who many people had winning the Heisman this year... I say it's a pretty intriguing story of how we'll bounce back from such an injury with an unproven QB, as well as other key positions. 

+13 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

BUT, Mark May sucks.  He needs to be cleaning toilets not talking on TV.

+8 HS
camodog's picture

Mark May. I wonder how he feels about Dave_Wannstedt being on the BTN? Lol

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Never heard of him  

+3 HS
bigDbuck's picture

Too bad May didn't sign up for sec network? Excuse me periour but espn was sec network before sec network. 

+10 HS
904buckeye's picture

THIS ^^^

GO BUCKS. BEAT MISSAGAIN

tOSUperiour's picture

Yes, I  know this and understand how it works. However, in the same context ESPN is owned by Disney, yet still separate. Greg Mcilroy and Tim Tebow and the rest of them will be doing their own thing, and I'm sure they'll have cameo appearances on CFB specials and whatnot, but they won't be on the main ESPN network as much as the Rece Davis' and Chris Fowler's of the world. That was my point.

We don't give a Da*n for the whole state of *ichigan cause we're from OHIO!

route4buckeye's picture

Oh look. Another one of our fans bitching about ESPN being biased when they can just as easily stop watching it. LOL.

-1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

And look another one of our fans bitching about another of our fans when he could of just as easily not commented. Imagine that. LOL

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+11 HS
route4buckeye's picture

There is a new topic on this every single day. 

Don't watch it.

-3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

How bout if it bothers you that much you not click on the forum topic or not comment on it? It works both ways. You are complaining about other people complaining.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+5 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Exactly. This is why our fanbase gets so much shit because of posts like these lol.

Cry about ESPN some more or don't watch it. It's that simple. Thanks for the downvote.

-3 HS
bigDbuck's picture

Are you employed by the worldwide leader?

+3 HS
route4buckeye's picture

No. I dislike ESPN as much as the rest of you. So I don't watch it. Lol

TheBadOwl's picture

Can't believe you're getting downvoted for this.

Go on /r/cfb. Every single fanbase hates ESPN and thinks that they're basically terrible at their jobs. Everyone knows that they shamelessly plug the SEC. It's old news and there's no reason to get super offended every time they say something you disagree with.

We're far from the only fan base that hates ESPN. We are the only one who consistently bitches about it every single day. Yeah, that's because we went through Tatgate and none of those other schools did. Doesn't make us look any better.

Everyone hates ESPN. Hell, I know Alabama fans who agree that ESPN sucks.

It's a network that needs to fill 24 hours of airtime during an offseason with barely any actual news. How do you fill that time? By creating debates about everything, or by bringing in analysts to give their shockingly controversial opinions about mundane stories. It's terrible journalism, and everyone knows that. But it's entertaining, so people watch it.

Hell, I watch ESPN. I'll chuckle a bit when they say something negative about the Buckeyes. I'll be chuckling more when we prove them wrong. But for now, I just don't care. And you shouldn't, either.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

What do you mean, "a" new topic?

There are easily four or five separate forum topics every day about some sportswriter who said something that wasn't "Ohio State is going to win the national title" because we just bought these damn pitchforks and we need a reason to use them, right?

On a serious note, I'm sick of it, too. No person in the media is going to agree 100% with everything that we think or say about the Buckeyes.

This team has lost a lot of talent to the NFL and to injuries. We're unproven and there are legitimate concerns and uncertainty about this offense. We have far less established and experienced talent than FSU, Bama, Oregon, Auburn, Oklahoma and MSU. Of course we shouldn't be in the preseason playoff discussion.

With that said, our upside is definitely close to or better than most of those teams, but until we actually play a game this year, we don't know what we have, and we shouldn't be expecting everybody in the media to be jerking us off based on our players' high school highlight tapes.

Yes, Mark May is generally terrible and has a vendetta against the Buckeyes. Yes, ESPN's editorial direction unabashedly promotes the SEC narrative. Of course the national sportswriters don't know as much about OSU's current team (which lost its five biggest stars) as 11W's loyal readers do.

So what?

Are they really wrong to be skeptical? Sure, our guys have shown a lot of progress through training camp. Doesn't mean anything until they do it in a game.

Do we really need a new forum topic for every vaguely negative or skeptical thing that sportswriters say about OSU? Can't we just have a megathread where we post bulletin board material?

We get so many "Look, [INSERT SPORTSWRITER HERE] said [INSERT STATEMENT HERE], like OMG what a hack, where is our respect?!!?!?!" threads every day. They're the exact same thread, the names just change. Why not just put it in a single thread? Sticky it to the top of the OSU Football forum. Why not?

On a sidenote, if you hate ESPN, either stop watching it or get a thicker skin. These guys are fans of other teams. I'm sure they'd be pissed at what we say about their teams. Stop letting it bother you that damn much.

Edit: Didn't realize my two posts would stack, apologies for the novel.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+5 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Took the words right out of my mouth. Sorry you'll get downvoted for having a differing opinion.

TheBadOwl's picture

Lol like I care. I have like 7700 helmet stickers.

On that note, "Lol like I even care" is exactly what people here should say when ESPN says something they disagree with about the Buckeyes. ESPN's self-generated content is so pointless and irrelevant that it's not worth fretting about at all.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

ROFLMFASO!!!

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

ohiowhitesnake's picture

Let the Mark May gifs begin...football season is back!!!

+11 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

A little photoshop magic could go a long way with this one....

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

....Mark May.....

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

sharks's picture

Didn't we just have a topic a few hrs ago imploring us to ignore his trollbait? 

Seriously, let it go.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+5 HS
IBleedSandG's picture

I love how he and Griese we're talking about how inexperienced Barrett is, and then 2 seconds later they're talking 5 LSU freshman that will be big time contributers. Tools...

"You pick up the rifle and go as hard as you can possibly go."
-UFM

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

All apologies, Nappy.

It lasted like seven hours or something.

In other news, Luke Fickell is still looking for approval and Brady Hoke has a few extra lbs.

Hate Week runneth over

+8 HS
hodge's picture

Probably because that scUM has eaten so much meatchicken...

+2 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Nappy is a martyr.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+1 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

You beat me to it

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.” John Wooden

+1 HS
Findog5's picture

What color panties does Mark May wear?

NCFinn

tOSUperiour's picture

After scrolling through the comments in here, I'd probably RATHER listen to Mark May.  There are those who jump on the pedestal of "I don't watch ESPN!" but I don't  believe it for a second. The post never once was a rant or "crying" about the network. Obviously now that they have the SEC Network it will be SEC heavy, and that's called BUSINESS. It's expected, and, at least for me, very much accepted. I enjoy watching SEC football as much as I hate the teams playing it. The post was thrown out as a question if anyone had seen Mark May's comments on SportsCenter that hour. That's all. As a Buckeye fan, your season hasn't truly started until one, Mark May, has called out Ohio State. This was my point. We have The Best Damn Band In The Land, and some of The Most Damned Fans In The Land. GEEZ

We don't give a Da*n for the whole state of *ichigan cause we're from OHIO!

brunstar's picture

Quit watching ESPiN .

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Or watch it, realize that they create nonexistent debates and controversies to fill air time, and stop letting it ruin your day.

NEBuckeye's picture

ESPN just is what it is and it isn't going to change anytime soon, and if it does, it won't be for the better.  You can see it for what it is and choose not to watch if it bothers you, or you can watch and not be surprised when you see ESPN being ESPN. But knowing what it is, and then choosing to watch it and then complain about it seems pretty pointless. It's like continuing to take back a girlfriend that won't stop cheating on you, expecting her to suddenly be loyal this time.  But if you choose to sleep with her once in a while totally knowing that you are getting used and don't expect anything more, you'll probably be just fine. 

whiskeyjuice's picture

OSU needs to go out on Sat and handle business, the dominating way. Then follow it up Sat after Sat and through the playoffs.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+2 HS