Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Places to Hang Out/Tailgate

WC Buckeye's picture
August 28, 2014 at 12:55pm
15 Comments

Fellow 11W'ers, I need some help. I am coming into town for the OSU/VT game, and I haven't been to a game in the shoe in years ('05 SDSU game). Most of the people that I knew back there have either moved away, died, or become part of my "ex family", so I don't really know anyone to tailgate with anymore. Last I'd heard, Heineygate is a thing of the past, so I am looking for some suggestions for places to hang out, drink some suds, and show my colleague (a VT grad who will be attending the game with me), his dad (a lifelong Buckeye fan), and my new wife (a Kent State grad who will be attending only her second OSU game) a great time before taking our seats (50 yard line on the east side - SCORED!!).

Anyone have some updated information for me? How about the parking sitch - any recommendations other than to get there early?

PlanningBuck12's picture

WNCI 97.9 has a fan fest of sorts in the apartment parking lot next door to where Heineygate use to be located. The apartments are called River Watch Towers. Last time that i was up there which was last year Little Bar on N. High Street has what they call "Little Gate". They have the Coors truck set up and a giant TV showing the games. My personal favorite is Out R Inn. They normally have great game day specials and it is probably one of three "old school" bars left on campus. The Varsity Club has something as well but it is always super crowded due to its close proximity to The Shoe. Hope that helps you out with some options. 

PlanningBuck

"Anything easy ain't worth a damn" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
InHartWeTrust's picture

*Tiny Gate, not Little Gate.

+1 HS
InHartWeTrust's picture

Little Bar or Varsity Club, I prefer the former.  On parking there is no strategy other than to get there early or hope there are yards you can pay to park in later.

+1 HS
Bugsyk's picture

2 hours before kickoff, there is the skull session in St John's arena.  The Little bar is great.  Late night comfort food is always available down the street at the Blue Danube.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Late night comfort food is always available down the street at the Blue Danube.

"Up" (North) the street...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
Bugsyk's picture

It's an Australian thing.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

My dad and I always park near the Fawcett center, and walk to the stadium. You get to walk past that ginormous ball that spins with water.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Parking, I'd either get off at N. Broadway / Ackerman and try to find parking off of Neil Avenue North of Lane Avenue in a yard for $20

Or, when coming down 315, hug the left lane until you pass campus then get over to the right and take the 670E / Neil Avenue exit.

Take Neil Avenue exit, turn left to stay on Neil (and head North). 

Parking is free along Neil avenue all the way up to about King Ave. I believe. Park there and you're a 15-20 walk to the stadium. Also the least amount of traffic you will encounter when leaving.

+1 HS
buckeyefan333's picture

Parking depends on your pregame plans.  If you're going to tailgate at your car, the best thing is to park at any of the red lots on this map:

http://www.campusparc.com/docs/map-pdfs/download-football-parking-map.pd...

If you're going to little bar or out-r-inn, i would try to find street parking east of high st, or pay to park in someone's yard in the area. The good thing is that traffic after games isn't horrible since most roads are only open to go away from the stadium.

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Varsity Club is crowded as hell but if you go behind it, there's a little area where the Danger Brothers play and you can get beer and food and watch some games.  Danger Brothers are awesome.  Fawcett Center has a nice pre-game buffet and a place to eat inside where you can watch some games.  Riverjam (I think that's what it's called - Riverwatch Apartment Towers) is OK too.  Skull Session is awesome, but you have to be there really early for that, and that doesn't usually happen for me.  I try to make it to one Skull Session a year.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
RubixTube's picture

Usually park N of Lane Ave off of Neil (work has graced me with parking passes for all of the campus rentals) then walk up.  Stop off at the Thirsty Scholar for a few adult beverages, grab some food from a street vendor/food truck as I walk down Lane, then cross @ St. John's to walk into The Shoe.  On the rare occasions that i'm feeling social, i'll stop at Riverwatch for a few more 'sodas'.

2 most important rules of successful businessmen:
1. Never share everything you know....

+1 HS
WC Buckeye's picture

Thanks, all, for the suggestions and updates on some things! The 'dube, Skull Session, and Varsity Club are old haunts/favorites of mine, and I hadn't completely ruled them out yet! Just wanted to see if there had been any new developments a la the Heineygate type of atmosphere, mostly, but the parking tips are helpful, as well; there's a lot more of it there now than 10 years ago.

The only thing that's new in the world is the history that we have forgotten.