Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

With Navy's abundant use of cut blocks, how worried are you about injuries this Sat?

bbb's picture
August 28, 2014 at 11:51am
46 Comments

I never played football so I don't know much about cut blocks, but to me it seems that a player on the receiving end of one would be more prone to knee injury? Am I right in assuming this and if so how worried are you?

Buckeye Knight's picture

I hated cut blocks.  Pussy football if you ask me.  I'm sure LJ and crew have the guys prepared though.

+3 HS
bbb's picture

Really though, you can't blame them for using an effective tactic to make up for lack of size 

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

I get it, it's legal, etc.  But as both a blocker and defensive player, I just hated the idea of putting my helmet into someone's knees or crotch on purpose, or having them do it to me.

+1 HS
bbb's picture

Option A: Get steamrolled by Joey Bosa

Option B: Cut block and stand a chance of not getting steamrolled by Joey Bosa

I'd choose Option B every time

+5 HS
mb5599's picture

Option C:  Go down with a pregame injury during warm ups.

Big B

+6 HS
sjOH1OSt's picture

Option D: Don't be a puss.  Try to take on Joey Bosa. 

"Baby Godfather"

+5 HS
srslydood's picture

With all the rule changes to protect the players, how are these still legal?

+2 HS
bigDbuck's picture

Another tactic is to play a little further off the blocker. Maybe another 2 feet back so they can't quickly engage the D line knees.

+2 HS
bucks4nuts's picture

yes I am.. But it is what they do. Time will tell what happens.

"To The House"

braneli's picture

It's crap. That is all.

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

awlinBrutus's picture

cut blocking as I understand it is when the player initiating a double team does so below the waste. why does it happen then? its not rocket science throwing a flag on that, pretty much the same as clipping imo.

MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS

lsjSnail's picture

I think you are thinking of a chop block

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Watch this.  Cut blocking by Navy

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

VS this, chop block (scroll to :55). One man engaged while another, essentially, throws a cut block. 

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

I was an O-lineman in high school and our coach wouldn't let us do them because his early NFL career was cut short when a guy chop blocked him and blew out his knee. It is legal, but is generally viewed as a pretty shady tactic.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
bbb's picture

chop block does not equal cut block

+4 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Yeah, I misspoke. I meant cut block.

+1 HS
tgreenbuckeye92's picture

It is not crap. It's a completely fair way to play. I played DE and NT last year and got cut all the time. It's just something you have to deal with. Yes I got pissed everytime some one did it but it's part of the game. Our guys will know how to play against it and avoid injury. 

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

I'm sure the guys will know how to deal with them, but I think it's a BS way of "blocking" and shouldn't be legal under any circumstances. Sorry you aren't good enough at blocking that you have to basically intentially try and hurt someone, you coward.

-5 HS
QueenCityBuckeye's picture

I get what you're trying to say but "coward" is not a word we should be using to describe men willing to sacrifice their lives on a battlefield. Let's not forget that the Navy players we will facing on Saturday are much more than just football players.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

That's all fair, and I'm not trying to discredit servicemen, but it doesn't change my opinion. If some guy destroys my knee and I don't walk right anymore, I'm not going to care what he does off the field.

-3 HS
tgreenbuckeye92's picture

Did you ever play football? 

It is a real technique. Not just a way to make up for lack of size or talent. It's a great technique for quick passes with short drop backs because the o line man fire out and disrupt the d line long enough to get a pass off. It is a very productive block for certain plays. Everyone is trying to win, if it's legal and is going to give you a better chance to be successful why would you not do it?

sox33osu's picture

Yeah, I played offensive and defensive line. That's why I have the opinion I have. There are tons of plays that used to be legal that were then made illegal because we realized how badly guys were getting hurt. This one hasn't happened yet but it should. I don't care if it's a "great technique". Know what else would be a great technique? Jabbing my fingers into your facemask and screwing up your vision. However it's dirty as hell and you can seriously hurt someone that way - same with chop or cut blocking.

-2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

There are tons of plays that used to be legal that were then made illegal because we realized how badly guys were getting hurt.

Remember the leg whip? That one was pretty vicious.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

The military has strict height/weight standards.  Simply put, Navy cannot recruit the prototypical offensive lineman because of these standards (although I'm wondering how they get their 300lb NT to pass his weigh in...).  So they will always be at a weight and strength disadvantage.  Cut blocking allows them to make up for this disadvantage somewhat.  It is not cowardice.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

"The military has strict height/weight standards. Simply put, Navy cannot recruit the prototypical offensive lineman because of these standards..."

The average starter on the Navy OL is over 280 lbs. It isn't like we're facing an OL from the 1950s. Are you saying that if cut blocks become illegal, they won't be able to win anymore?

Groveport Heisman's picture

No its not cowardly at all in my opinion. I had a father that was a marine and I was small growing up in a very bad neighborhood. Lets just say my pops taught me how to gouge eyes out,punch or ball yank,fish hook lips,and pretty much everything in between if the situation called for it. I have much respect for Navy and I'm going to  blame this one on Mean Gene for scheduling the game against a furious opponent that will act like a wild animal backed into a corner and will do whatever necessary to survive.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Dude. They are playing a game. This isn't war, or a fight out in the street. It's a game. It isn't like they are 155 lb offensive linemen and our defensive linemen are trying to assault them on the street. They are playing a game.

-1 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

I was in the Navy and I was never in the height/weight standards.  They just measured my neck and then my waist, so I was able to pass after that.

Linemen at non-service schools have a slight advantage because they can spend an offseason just simply bulking up, if they want to do that.  The service academies will have to make sure that any size they put on is very lean.  They have to maintain some cardio also.  Most of the big dudes you see around the country have no real cardio.  They can just concentrate on getting bigger

apack614's picture

I am worried about injuries always but yes to answer your question, especially this week.

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Bucksfan's picture

I think the reason it's still legal because of 1-yard situations, in which it allows the ball carrier to go over the top.

+5 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

That poster gets an upvote from me, LOL.

+2 HS
Curt Heinrichs's picture

Here's hoping Bosa turns his hat around on 3rd and short situations. We know what that means. 

mh277907's picture

Curious- does anyone know if there is any evidence to support the notion that the cut blocking tactics cause more injuries? I realize that football is not the fasting moving sport when it comes to ensuring player safety but they are trying. And I would think that if the evidence was there, there would be at least discussions about eliminating the cut block from the game.

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
sjOH1OSt's picture

Not at all worried about injuries.  You can't enjoy this stuff if you're constantly worrying about the possibilities of someone getting injured.  If we so happen to lose someone, so be it.  Move on.  That's what we're doing at QB and will do anywhere else.  That said, I don't wish any harm to anyone out on the field.  GO BUCKS!

"Baby Godfather"

bbb's picture

I didn't mean to ask if you were personally worried about injuries, i get it you don't care if the players get hurt. I was asking if there is an increased risk of injury. 

Urban Sprawl's picture

At least you don't have to worry about Noah Spence

buckskin's picture

Fully confident the teacher, LJ, will have them ready for this type of block. Notre Dame lost 2 starting D Linemen when they played in Ireland. Both were knee injuries. Not sure regarding the severity though.

bbb's picture

They injured their knees in Ireland? What, were they dealing drugs and the IRA caught them and kneecapped them?

-1 HS
magruder80's picture

Cut block is smart for a team like Navy which is undersized and runs the triple option with quick passes. The d-line has to use their hands more to defeat the block therefore their hands wont get in the passing lanes.  If the d-line doesnt use their hands then that is when injuries happen.  But you dont coach at this level without teaching the proper way to defeat this block. Not worried about this at all

+1 HS
Frimmel's picture

So how many of our DL guys were hurt the last time we played Navy?

The Rill Dill's picture

None.  This is all just an overblown talking point.  Just because it's repeated often, does not make it true.  I call it the Faux News syndrome.

Frimmel's picture

That's what I thought. I have a tendency to stop "surfing" on the Navy games whenever they're on and I don't remember a lot of D-linemen being carted off.

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

The one time my HS played a team that cut blocked I remember the special drills we went through on the DL to prepare for it. Mostly the drills were used to help keep you on your feet because once you're on the ground or on your knees you're effectively out of the play. We also worked on using our hands to force that cut-blocking player into the turf since they're already so low to the ground to begin with by trying to cut block you. Just shove their faces into the ground and step over them. The better our DL stays on its feet the better the D will play. If you see lots of Buckeye defenders on the ground be worried.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

Seattle Linga's picture

They were commenting on the BTN about this yesterday and I know Urban will be in the officials ears before the game begins about the potential dangers and style of running they play. Our defense is so strong and big it will be very difficult for Navy to stop us from being in their backfield throughout the entire game.

+1 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

no injuries, please

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.” John Wooden

+2 HS