Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Who was YOUR favorite ohio state quarterback to watch?

eliappleismyidol's picture
August 27, 2014 at 2:54pm
57 Comments

We all know how many outstanding quarterbacks this school has produced through the years and i am interested to see where buckeye nation stands on this topic. A few names that come to my head quickly to jump start this conversation would be Mike Tomczak, Cornelius Greene, Art Schlichter (who could forget that name!), Bobby Hoying, Craig Krenzel (definitely my second favorite), and Terrelle Pryor (mr tattoo himself!) but in my eyes the best QB in ohio state history hands down would have to be the man the myth the legend troy smith! He led us to a 12-1 year in 2006 and was the last buckeye to hold up that precious heisman trophy that every college football athlete dreams of raising. I have never seen anyone at the QB position at ohio state run as quickly as him and throw a football as accurate as him. He could break down defenses like peyton manning in his hayday. it was so impressive to watch and i miss that a lot. he was a coach's dream and he was the perfect example of speed kills. Sorry about the rant but i just wanted to hear what everyone else thought. thanks guys! #michigansucks #troysmithforeverandever #OH #IO

Rob Reese's picture

He just made everything look so effortless.  

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+11 HS

he has so much swag

O-H-I-O

+2 HS
Brutus1972's picture

Except for the arm punt. A true glider with the ball in his hands but he had some of the worst throwing mechanics I've ever seen. It hurt my eyes to watch him throw. I'll go with Troy or Joe G. for $2000, Alex.

-2 HS
jdagrava.1's picture

Troy Smith.... need I say more?

"It takes a little something special to be a great player.  What you got in you, we're going to find out.  And if there's a touch of greatness in there, how cool would that be?"

-Urban F. Meyer

+4 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Where can I get this shirt!

Calgarybuck's picture

Sucks about his knee!

+1 HS

this shirt is AMAZING

O-H-I-O

-1 HS
BuckeyeinExile's picture

Shane Falco was better!

+1 HS

OH MY GOD shane flaco is my favorite! i love that movie

O-H-I-O

-4 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Joe Germaine, I liked him a lot. Rex Kern my 2nd favorite, and then Braxton my 3rd favorite.

+3 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I was a huge fan of Joe Germaine. He threw some incredibly accurate passes. I was surprised that he wasn't able to be more effective in the pros. I remember a game against PSU in Happy Valley that was mind blowing, I believe OSU ended up losing the game but there was a lot of ball slinging that game. Joe threw a deep ball that landed perfectly in Dee Miller's hands while he had two defenders on his ass. It was a beautiful pass and catch.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

Earle's picture

You wouldn't happen to be in Philly, would you?

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS

philly? nah man!

O-H-I-O

-2 HS
Earle's picture
It's Buckeyephaninphilly!

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS

well then moving on...i love anchorman!

O-H-I-O

-3 HS
BassDropper's picture

It's hard to pick between Troy, Pryor, and Braxton. Braxton doesn't have the accolades as the other two, but he has been a highlight waiting to happen since he has shown up. 

DIRECTIONER

i can agree with this statement. it sucks he got hurt again..he was poised for a big season

O-H-I-O

-2 HS
Habu71's picture

Troy Smith

With much love for Corny Green, Rod Gerald, Art Schlichter, Greg Frey & Krenzel. 

+2 HS
KevinJ's picture

Kirk Herbstreit...

On a serious note it's close for me but I like Joe Germaine I can not forget his Rose Bowl come back, that game was awesome. Troy (The Wolverine Killer) Smith is a close 2nd.

+1 HS
THE's picture

Krenzel is my favorite QB but man that TresselBall era was not very offensive friendly.

Troy was my favorite to watch because that era was the only that I recall where Tress really let them play and open up the play book. I was especially fond of the play action option where Troy would look like he was getting to the edge but then he's pop backwards and unload a long bomb. 

Drivin > Disco > Drivin.
To the people in the bathroom, how's it going in there?

allinosu's picture

Art for sure because it was a welcome change to three yards and a cloud of dust.

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Joe Bauserman....dude had a cannon, and was consistent. He hit the 15-20 row mark many times

Serious, Troy Smith. I could sit there and watch him pick apart defenses for days...o no one open? Allow me to ass rape you on the ground then

UFM_Renewal

-1 HS

simmer down with the ass raping

O-H-I-O

-9 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Ok 9Route....calm down

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS
BoFuquel's picture

ART. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

TheShookster's picture

Come on guys no love for Steve Bellisari?

+1 HS
OscarSierraUniform's picture

Joe Bauserman or Austin Moherman.  Ok....joking aside - 1.  Troy Smith   2.  Art Schichter  3.  Corny Greene  4.  Craig Krenzel

See ball, get ball.

-1 HS
apack614's picture

It's you again 9Route, PhillyPhan, tedginnisfasterthanyou, isn't it?

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
jedkat's picture

Can we get an IP address check, staff?

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

+1 HS
awlinBrutus's picture

I enjoyed Corny Green the most because of who he was handing off to. Archie,Pete and Baschnagel great times in the 70's. TP would be a close 2nd. He was the biggest QB recruit ever to sign with TOSU. And he didn't disappoint. We were robbed of his senior year, can you imagine?

MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Pryor, Miller, Hoying, Smith, Germaine, Krenzel.  I think I actually enjoy the era, as opposed to the quarterback.

OSU069's picture

Favorite to watch are Miller and Pryor. Pryor made everything look so effortless and Miller has been a human highlight reel since the beginning of his freshman season. 

mtharp's picture

Joe Germaine with Troy a close 2nd

+1 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

joe germaine - dude was f#@%ing awesome!

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

bethmowins's picture

Krenzel. Nothing flashy. He just did what he needed to do to win.

-1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

If there's a record for most accounts created by one person post ban-hammer, that record is in very serious jeopardy right now.

+2 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

Favorite to WATCH is Braxton Miller, for his incredible ability to run the ball. I never knew when he might take one to the house, and it seemed like it was always a possibility on any given play.

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.”

+1 HS
Little Dan's picture

Yes, me too. I admit I have a bad memory and it almost seems like every year I have a new favorite but for me it's 1-BM, 2-TS, 3-TP, 4-CK, 5-JG, 6-AS, 7-CG, 8-MT,9-GF and 10-TT.

Little Dan

-1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I actually first started watching Buckeye Football when Art S. was our QB - he was a lot of fun to watch when he was in college.

+1 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

Troy Smith, killer of scUM

Also, gotta love Krenzel's record as starting QB. I think it was 26-3 and Bellasari should be charged for the loss to S. Carolina

+1 HS

thank you everyone for your opinions!! as i expected there are many different favorites..i just love me some troy smith!

O-H-I-O

-1 HS

why do you guys keep posting things about route9?

O-H-I-O

-2 HS
dornstar's picture

Troy Smith... he was just flat out ridiculous in 2006 until the Florida game.

MrBobDobalina's picture

Troy Smith. The dude went from frustrating to watch to poised assassin in the span of his buckeye career.

sjOH1OSt's picture

Pryor.  I just loved his gliding ability and his play in most big games puts him over Troy for me.  MAN am I still upset about the BS sanctions he received for selling his own stuff.   Could have been a Heisman favorite. 

"Baby Godfather"

+1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Wow not many listed Rex Kern. Kind of surprised by that.

Grande Gustavo's picture

Scottie McMullen, he's from my hometown, I know him and his family pretty well, hell he was the one who taught me how to throw a good spiral.

That being said though, Troy Smith was the greatest QB in OSU history. 

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

904buckeye's picture

I gotta go with Pryor. And here is to hoping T. Gibson becomes the next Pryor!

GO BUCKS. BEAT MISSAGAIN

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

Justin Zwick...............had all the accolades coming out of Massilon but end up only throwing 268 passes total career wise........just kidding!!!..........I liked Mike Tomczak and Troy Smith!

e135800's picture

My new favorite QB to watch is J.T.

+1 HS