Ohio State football talk.

Depth Chart released

BassDropper's picture
August 27, 2014 at 1:13pm
57 Comments

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/osu/graphics/pdf/m-footbl/2014-two-deep.pdf

8 Freshman starters!!!

14 FR/Soph starters

Seeing as the "OR's" aren't listed in alphabetical order, I assume the first name listed will start the game and the others will play. Interesting that Burrows is listed over Bell and our All American DT is listed as an "OR." I think that is a testament to the work Schutt has put in this off season.

WhySoSerious's picture

Cam over Bell. Cam must be balling out.. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

osu07asu10's picture

Bell was dinged up a little, if I'm not mistaken?

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

nikolajz1's picture

I have a feeling Bell is gonna transfer. 

-10 HS
Mizzillion's picture

Actually, it says Burrows "or" Bell.  I assume that means it could go either way.

osu07asu10's picture

Eh, a little misleading there. Only 1 true freshman starting, and that is Neurnberger at kicker

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Let's hope he's Nugent x2 

SilverState's picture

7 positions labeled "Or"

niblick's picture

8 freshman are not starting.  8 will see playing time, but 8 freshman will not start, not a single game.

bucks4nuts's picture

If you werent ready for the season before... You all should be NOW! BOY is it SATURDAY YET!!???

"To The House"

+1 HS
Mizzillion's picture

Michael Bennett or Tommy Schutt    -----   Wow.

+1 HS
GUITONISH's picture

That was the big shocker. Anyone know if Bennett is hurt? I know Tommy had a great camp, but to be listed as a possible starter vs. our only Pre-Season All American seems like he is either hurt or Urban is calling him out.

"Everybody always wanted to gamble on 4th down, but they wanted to gamble with my chips." --Poet, President, & Philosopher Jim Tressel

osu07asu10's picture

but to be listed as a possible starter vs. our only Pre-Season All American seems like he is either hurt or Urban is calling him out.

I don't think either of those are the case. I think it is a reward for players who have put in the time and effort to be rewarded but have an All-American in front of them.

This was a common practice Tressel used, and I am sure it is the same for Coach Meyer and a number of other coaches.

+2 HS
lljjgg's picture

I don't think either of those are the case. I think it is a reward for players who have put in the time and effort to be rewarded but have an All-American in front of them.

Yeahhh. I think we're taking the "OR"s a bit too literally. For example, I would be shocked if Cam Burrows starts ahead of a healthy Vonn Bell (Bell may still be a bit dinged up for all I know), or Tommy Schutt takes any playing time away from Michael Bennett. That said, I do think from the articles I've read here and elsewhere this off-season, the Buckeyes are going to do even more hockey-style line-changing in-game than they did last year.

+1 HS
cdub4's picture

I don't know why anyone would be shocked if Burrows started. He played as a true freshman unlike Apple and Conley, he was a top 100 recruit and has the size and cover skills you want in a cover 4 safety.

+1 HS
GUITONISH's picture

I haven't seen Urban use the OR like that before. Generally, most of our ORs have been when one person hasn't yet separated themselves or that might be an injury question. Either way, I think Johnson will substitute more liberally than Vrabel--so I'm excited to see both.  I don't know how many times it would like Hankins would go down just so he could get a little bit of a rest. OR as Bennett joked they would put Tommy in so they could have 5-Stars down the line (which wouldn't apply because Spence suspension).

"Everybody always wanted to gamble on 4th down, but they wanted to gamble with my chips." --Poet, President, & Philosopher Jim Tressel

BassDropper's picture

I think the OR's are just speaking to our depth. It's obvious Marshall and Wilson will get a ton of playing time throughout the season, regardless of who the starter is. Urban is on record of saying Conley and Apple will both play this season. We will be rotating a lot of guys this year.

DIRECTIONER

Buckataltitude's picture

This one shocked me the most. Crazy to think how good Schutt can be.

bethmowins's picture

Bell is still an OR and I think he actually gets the start in the end.

fontanabuck's picture

Pretty excited to see Dontre and Jalin both on kick returns

+4 HS
nikolajz1's picture

Glad Dontre is gonna be running punts back. Seeing Philly Brown fumble every other return last year was infuriating. 

+3 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

I see no Cris Carter

UFM_Renewal

TheBadOwl's picture

Well, yeah, Cris Carter hasn't been on the OSU depth chart since 1986.

You're thinking Chris Carter.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Ah yes indeed CHRIS

Though I wouldn't mind seeing Cris

UFM_Renewal

SilverState's picture

No James Clark...did he have an injury that I'm forgetting?

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

His ankle had surgery last year, might still be behind the curve or something

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

SnooBucki's picture

Tre Johnson not even listed, yikes

stittracer99's picture

Yeah I was hoping to see more of Trey this year. Looks like he has some work to do.

HotSauceCommittee's picture

Great news on Booker but disappointed to not see Johnson in the 2 deep.

hodge's picture

Wilson's returning punts!

I just about peed myself after reading that.
+10 HS
BuckToAsT's picture

and Marshall!!!! Yikes!!!

+1 HS
stittracer99's picture

The Aussie Sensation is the first team holder. Should be a popular replacement for Kenny G

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

Not thrilled with Spencer starting at WR, but I really hope he proves me wrong.

+1 HS
bethmowins's picture

Spencer is by far the best blocking WR and he will be needed in the quick pass and wide run game.

+5 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Spencer is by far the best blocking WR and he will be needed in the quick pass and wide run game.

There you go breaking character again,...making sense!

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Thank you Beth, that is a pretty nice comment. That said, I would have to imagine there is someone else (Mike Thomas? Greene?) who has the capability to block but also make plays, something Spencer really cannot, no?

Mortc15's picture

Think this may be a case of the coaches given the seniors a chance to play for it, but I think we'll see a replacement very soon if either of the 2 starting wideouts struggle early.

Buck-I4Life

Squirrel Master's picture

Despite being listed as a starter, I have no doubt there will be heavy substituting for all WR positions, same goes for Dline as LJ said he wants to rotate 8-9 guys throughout.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

-1 HS
Mortc15's picture

3 guys listed as OR at the running back position. Eze, Rod, Samuel. Slightly surprised to see Samuel listed, even given Meyer's love affair and constant praise for him.

Buck-I4Life

sox33osu's picture

Also, Noah Brown is 6'1", 240?!?

bethmowins's picture

Yup, he is going to be a terror. He can play WR or hybrid and could even see TE action down the road.

I was about to point out that is a huge H-back to have. I'm curious to see how that plays out, cuz Brown isn't slow for a big dude!

BTBuckeye's picture

I want to see Jalin catch the KR and then pass it the opposite side of the field to Dontre with a mini-wall in front of him

+1 HS
I'm Ron Burgundy's picture

When looking at the DB group as a whole, I've got to think that whoever loses the CB battle between Apple and Conley, and whoever loses the S battle between Bell and Burrows, would have to be better Nickel options than Reeves. If Bell gets the nod like we all kind of expected at S, and Burrows pushed him so hard / looked really good at corner subbing last year against IU, Burrows seems like a perfect Nickel to me.

But as we should all know too well, what this depth chart says and who actually gets the majority of the snaps at which positions, tends to differ quite a bit. 

Its only a depth chart. Not once last year did the depth chart tell the full story of who was actually starting that Saturday. I think we can all take this with a grain of salt until Saturday at noon when the real shockers might happen.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Jalin and Dontre have potential to be the best return duo since these two:

http://theozone.net/photos/9967.jpg

DIRECTIONER

+8 HS
lljjgg's picture

I'm a bit off-topic here but man, I miss those jerseys.

+5 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

As long as it's Ohio State football related, it's not off-topic to me.

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

As long as we're OT,  I agree.  Those scream OHIO STATE.  Love 'em.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Those two were electric.

Depending on what game this was...I may be the current owner of the shoes Teddy is wearing.

+1 HS
CTBuckeye's picture

Wilson and Marshall - off to the races.  Don't think I've ever been this excited for punt and kick returns.

"Because we couldn't go for three"

ponder10's picture

I just got really frightened looked at the OL depth chart.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

OSU725's picture

Man, I am excited. Saturday can't get here soon enough!! On a side not after seeing pictures of how big Curtis Grant is I am shocked to see McMillian is already bigger then him.

Jbucks's picture

2 things stick out to me 1. Johnny Dixon and Erik Smith are both listed 3rd String especially Dixon getting to play with "the men" early in off seson and 2nd. No Jaylon Holmes on the depth chart, thought he'd be on depth chart atleast

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

Buckeye Knight's picture

That D line is a tough lineup to crack into.

Jbucks's picture

True especially for a FR. (Munger and Hill are redshirts right? cant wai to see them) but i thought Urvz said Holmes was making a run to replace Spence?

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

Seattle Linga's picture

IMO - I think we are going to see the full platter of D-Lineman getting action. Bust your gut for 3-4 plays than rotate.