Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Navy Game Predictions - Let's do it!

dwcbuckeye's picture
August 27, 2014 at 12:29pm
42 Comments

Navy finished 9-4 last year.  They averaged 33.5 points/game and gave up 24.3.  Seems like a pretty good team, but a look under the hood revealed these callouts:

Beat B10 powerhouse Indiana 41-35

Got blown out by perennial ACC juggernaut Duke 35-7

Lost to Notre Dame in a squeaker 38-34

Actually lost to Toledo by one point (finished 5-3 in the MAC and perhaps the 5th best team in Ohio)

The current point spread is ~14.  On the surface I think this is correct, but it is based on the average of two dramatically different scenarios:

1) JT struggles in his first college game.  Perhaps throws a pick 6 and generally looks less than impressive.  The OL doesn’t quite gel and overall the Buckeyes are inconsistent moving the ball

In this scenario the game should be close with perhaps the Buckeyes winning by as little as 7 points

2) At the end of the game we all think: JT really looked good today, made nice throws and even better decisions.  The OL played well and look like they will be really good this year.  Our playmakers did a nice job in open space.

If this occurs I expect the Buckeyes to win by 20+ points.

In both scenarios I believe the defense will do their job and do it pretty well.  Not so much because of the new schemes and attitude, but more so because the Navy offense plays to our defensive strength (running the ball)

My Prediction: OSU 35 Navy 13

What you got?

Hovenaut's picture

I have 33-10, good guys (a Buckeye two pointer fails, but the run defense does not).

+1 HS
schlichtersbookie's picture

Boy do I love that -13 point spread

Sincerely,

Art Schlichter

A Buckeye born and bred, a Buckeye til I'm dead.

+4 HS
cw823's picture

35-17.

I think any throws asked of Barrett will be low-risk throws, maybe a couple deep balls in the game.  I think people forget this new o-line is practicing against arguably one of (if not the) best d-line units in the country, so in theory games should be easier than practices for the new o-line.

I think special teams will dictate the day, with at least one return for a TD.

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I think the O-line has been practicing against one of the best D-lines all spring and summer............so.I really hope the Navy D-line doesn't dominate much.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

rock flag and eagle's picture

In retrospect, this was an excellent prediction.

Jbucks's picture

36-10 BUCKEYES

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

WhySoSerious's picture

35-17

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+2 HS
PlanningBuck12's picture

Vicki Vallencourt says the Mud Dogs  Buckeyes are gonna win 30 to 27. I pray that its not that close I'll throw my hat in the ring at 33 - 17 Buckeyes. 

PlanningBuck

"Anything easy ain't worth a damn" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Vicki Vallencourt?

+1 HS
bethmowins's picture

38-21 Bucks. Navy gives the D some early fits but the D settles down and cruises to victory.

TheShookster's picture

It's a shame you won't be announcing the opening game this year Beth.

BassDropper's picture

45-17 Buckeyes

JT Barrett - 18-26 247 yards 3 TDs 0 INT / 51 yards rushing 1 TD

Zeke Elliot - 69 yards rushing 1 TD

Curtis Samuel - 4 catches 64 yards / 73 yards rushing 1 TD

Dontre Wilson - 5 catches 118 yards 1 TD / 55 yards rushing 1 TD

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
countrybuckeye's picture

And a FG in there somewhere by_____?

"Momma told me there would be days like this."

Son of Sevenless's picture

Isn't that 3 passing TDs and 4 rushing TDs? 49 points? Or are there going to be a ton of extra points missed?

+1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

OSU 30 NAVY 24. The defense did okay against the run last year, awful against the pass. However this is not your normal everyday running game deployed by Navy. I think they will move the ball on the ground good enough to score. Hopefully the defense shuts Navy down, to a minimum of one score, no more than 2 scores. It is time for the Silver Bullets to rise and return to the glory days. Lets' Go BUCKEYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 HS
mb5599's picture

35 OSU    17 Navy.      Urban needs to let JT take a deep shot on the first offensive possession.  Tell him dont worry if you complete it or it gets intercepted.  Just throw it deep.  Right now, all the pundits are saying his arm is not that strong and that many of his passes will be short crossing routes.  Chuck it deep and give them something to think about.   That will keep them from crowding the line and stuffing the short routes as much.  Also, what better team to do it against than Navy.  This could pay big dividends down the road.

Big B

+1 HS
cjmgobucks's picture

3 quarters of Triple Option shenanigans give Navy 24 points before TOSU D figures out how to stop it.  TOSU scores 4 TD's, a field goal and notches a safety.  TOSU 33, Navy 24.  BTW, for this week and this week alone, I shall refer to both teams as, "The Good Guys."  I'd say the Midshipmen deserve it.  Go Bucks, Go America....!!

"When I look in the mirror, I want to take a swing at me."
Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+2 HS
Mortc15's picture

38-17. JT has 3 total touchdowns, the other two coming on the ground.

Buck-I4Life

airbuckeye's picture

Im going with tOSU 42 Navy 17

-1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

To the astonishment of Gerry Dinardo, Buckeyes move the ball pretty easily, but struggle in the red zone. Kevin Reynolds and the veteran Navy offense cut, cut, and cut some more, scoring a couple early TDs while the D figures things out. Ulcers are flaring through Buckeyeland when the Buckeyes reach the half trailing 14-13. Buckeyes make necessary adjustments and take over in the second half but don't cover the spread. Final score 30-20.

+1 HS
rock flag and eagle's picture

In retrospect, the ulcers prediction came true.  Not a bad prediction overall.

mmounts's picture

31-17. Dontre, JT, Eze, and Rod Smith all score. Nuernberger clanks one off the left upright and sneaks it in from 38 away (if you wanted specifics). 

eliappleismyidol's picture
-1 HS
apack614's picture

42-10 Good guys! Go Bucks!

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

Onionballz's picture
Prediction?

Pain.

"You must have been eating dumbfuck sandwiches when you came up with that logic" - Ramzy

+5 HS
OscarSierraUniform's picture

LOL.  That's awesome.

See ball, get ball.

Keyser Soze's picture

49-9

we might bend on defense some drives and give up one big play, but anything close to the end zone gets crushed by our Silver Bullets!!

O-H

That's how winners play. We convince the other guy he's making all the right moves.

-1 HS
OscarSierraUniform's picture

38-20 Buckeyes.  I think our D gives them a little hope in the 1st qtr. and a little into the 2nd.  Once we make some tweaks and adjustments, we should roll.  By Quarter:

TOSU  10   7   14   7 - 38

USNA   10   3    0   7 - 20

See ball, get ball.

-1 HS
BoFuquel's picture

THE-2  NAVY-0  GO BUCKS1

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

drclarksmith's picture

tOSU- 33 Navy-17  Gonna be a good game to dust off the cob webs and start getting JT familiar with division I game speed. I am so excited for college football I can hardly stand it! GO BUCKS!!

C.J. Smith

awlinBrutus's picture

55-13 Urban gets the freshmen kicker 2 tries and he nails 'em. eze and smith both go for 100 as does JT. Raekwon lays the wood on the Navy QB early, Clowny style. He wisely hands off the rest of the game. Navy doesn't pass midfield in the first have but scores 3 times against the 3rd string backups.

MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS

-1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

31-17 tOSU

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

OSU069's picture

OSU 37 

Navy 17

Bucksfan70's picture

OSU 62 

NAVY 13

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

NashBuckeye's picture

OSU 38-17.  Every bad play will be magnified as many of the National Analysts will have VT as their upset pick of the week next week.

whiskeyjuice's picture

45 - 10 OSU Gerry will say, "Now I can see the running game".

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs