Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Johnny Football talks Braxton and JT Barrett

BassDropper's picture
August 26, 2014 at 6:06pm
19 Comments

From the Plain Dealer

"First and foremost, it's tough to see a friend like Braxton, I mean, it's rough," Manziel said, as Miller had season-ending shoulder surgery on Tuesday. "I don't wish that for anybody. I don't wish that for him especially. So hopefully everything in that situation works out for him. I hope he's able to get a medical redshirt and be able to play, because first and foremost, I'm a fan of Braxton. I think he's incredible for college football, I think he's incredible for Ohio State and I think the state of Ohio.

"Ohio State is obviously a very big deal but, I mean, a (redshirt) freshman coming in and taking over for a program like that, I think he's got a good situation with Coach Meyer being there and being able to put him in good situations to be successful. So I think more than anything he needs to depend on him, Coach Meyer, who's been through it all.

"Their quarterbacks coach (Herman) is a very creative guy who's a standup guy as well, so I would say lean on those guys, lean on the older players that have been there and they have a lot of playmakers, so you get the ball to those guys in space and they can really do a lot with it. So don't try and do too much.

"I'd say rely on your coaches, rely on what they're telling you and most of all, have fun and go out and play football like you did in high school and like you've been doing for your whole life."

"But man, I really wish them nothing but the best," Manziel said, "and hope Braxton's OK."

Pure class.

labuck's picture

I will say one thing. He does have a great PR team. For all the stuff he does off the field, when he gets in front of the media he is the most upbeat and positive person around.

+8 HS
BassDropper's picture

What do you guys expect him to do, show up to the presser with a 40oz? I haven't heard stories of Johnny not having a positive attitude or not being upbeat. Some of the world's most successful people like to party and do way worse things than Johnny. Since the start of camp there has been no stories or pictures that have surfaced on the internet.

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
labuck's picture

Not at all but there are plenty of people that when a mic is put in front of them have no idea what to say or do. They end up putting their foot in their mouth and sound stupid doing it. He is always saying the right thing in interviews and that has a lot to do with a PR team.

GVerrilli92's picture

Has nothing to do with a PR team.

We all had that friend who was a total crazy party animal, but then when he got in front of parents or adults he seemed like a completely functional member of society. LOL Some people just know how to turn on the charm when people who matter are watching. He definitely has an understanding of when he's being watched. I had friends that my parents just loved and I'd sit back and think, "If you had seen half the shit that guy has done." The way he deals with the media reminds me of that, because parents don't know crap until they go snooping around on facebook. This skill may get him further in the NFL than some had expected. I've always enjoyed listening to him in pressers, he's a smart dude.

We're the same age, but his situation teaches a good lesson. It's not that you can't have fun, you just also have to sound like you know WTF you're doing... and win the Heisman.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+2 HS
BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture
Hey, guys.  Wanna go down to the abandoned quarry and have a few beers while we shoot squirrels with a pellet gun?
Oh, why hello, Mrs. Cleaver; I didn't see you behind me.  You're looking lovely today.  I was just asking Wallace if he could come to my father's house tonight to help me with some homework.  No need to worry; both of my parents will be present at all times.

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

+3 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

Gold.

I love this site.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

Urbz4President's picture

I hated Manziel until this very moment.

+2 HS
Little Dan's picture

I really like Johnny Football. He won the Heisman as a RS fresman, is exciting to watch and now plays for the Browns. Not to mention Jerry Jones wanted him bad but was talked out of it. JF also seems to say all the right things in pressers too. Not to shabby for a 21-22 year old! And he has one of the best nicknames ever!

Little Dan

Urbz4President's picture
+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Yeah I never cared for him either...............but hearing him talk about Brax and the Buckeyes like that..........he is winning some brownie points.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+2 HS
kevdale86's picture

I still don't like him. He's just a rich, spoiled brat. So he said some nice things about Braxton, that doesn't mean he's grown up and is a likeable person. Like an earlier poster said, he just knows what to say with a microphone in front of his face. He's still a punk in my book. And to think he had a chance to join Archie as a 2-timer. That makes me ill just to think about.

Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed - Actions certainly speak louder than words.

Rob Reese's picture

Mmhmm, I like the guy, but he does have a penchant for 'saying the right things' when in the glare of the lights.

If you need italics to understand or imply sarcasm, then you're doing it wrong.

+1 HS
nm_buck's picture

just wondering... would anyone expect the new cleveland ohioan and fan favorite to give anything other than pure positive vibes regarding beloved OSU players?

+1 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

Pretty sure I remember him trash talking Braxton and telling him to do what he does in a "real conference." I got no love for Jonathan Foolsball.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

I haven't seen this...do you have a link or are you just another hater throwing shit at a wall hoping it sticks?

DIRECTIONER

RunEddieRun1983's picture

It was a long time ago on twitter during, I believe the spring game Braxton's Junior year.  ESPN put it in a story.  Believe me, don't believe me, no sweat off my sack, have a good weekend, GO BUCKS!

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

BassDropper's picture

Not saying you're wrong..I just have a hard time believing that Johnny would publicly talk trash about Braxton (for no reason), and then a couple of months later they are partying together after the Orange Bowl. Now Johnny is coming out saying he is a close friend of Braxton. 

DIRECTIONER

BassDropper's picture

Best commercial I have seen in a while.

DIRECTIONER