Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Question for those who think we lose to Sparty

Nairion's picture
August 25, 2014 at 4:48pm
23 Comments

If MSU loses to Oregon in the second week does that change your opinion?

I think OSU has as much chance to win that game this year as we did last year, especially if someone else makes them vulnerable early on.

But then, a jilted, angry Sparty is a scary Sparty.

So whatdya think?

BigZ's picture

I think talking about a game on Nov 8th, on aug 25th, is crazy. There is so much we dont know about either team at this point, how injuries factor in, and who those teams will be when the game is played. Looking at it now, however, on paper it seems quite even to me. I dont think Oregon has much of an influence as the game will most likely be for the B1GE title anyways.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+10 HS
InHartWeTrust's picture

Pretty much this, but at this point I am comfortable and confident that we will win the game on 11/8 -- that may change as the season goes on.

tennbuckeye19's picture

I'm not sure how much stock we can put in their Oregon game.

There's a lot of time between September 6th and November 8th. Last season Sparty seemed to improve as the season went on and I would assume, knowing Dantonio, the same would be the case this year as well. Let's not forget MSU lost to a mediocre Notre Dame early last season and ended up as B1G champs.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Let's just watch some games from here on out.  It's game week!  No more speculation.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+3 HS
Nairion's picture

Wrong. Nothing but speculation until Saturday. Then its analysis

+2 HS
Remington2323's picture

He right, you wrong.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+2 HS
mh277907's picture

I'm not discrediting Sparty and their last three bowl victories have been extremely impressive. But they haven't put up back to back dominate seasons in the history of their program so I definitely think OSU can beat them even without Braxton. Oregon's offense will be a nice measuring stick to see how MSU's defense stacks up against our offense. 

buckeyebobcat

THE's picture

Depends how they lose. If they get their doors blown off then Yes. If it's close, I'd be weary that they've got some new units growing together and some time to do that before they play us. 

Conversely, same if they were to win. 

However, there's not constant to the way they'll play. Just like there's no constant to how we play, or anyone else for that matter. 

We have new players in key roles all over. 

Point being, way too many variables. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ibuck's picture

Oregon's defense has been spotty at times, but many sports media types—who are notorious for overlooking the D and swooning over the offense—are ranking them very highly this year.

I'm curious to see: How does the Duck D do?

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end !

If you can't win your conference, just quietly accept your non-playoff bowl game.

osupolo's picture

I think you are posting this on the wrong site.  A lot of people here (including myself) tend to look through scarlet and grey glasses. If you are a true Buckeye fan then a National Championship is the expectation pretty much every year. 

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Exactly how many games did we lose when Braxton didn't play last year?  Go Bucks!!

TURD_BUCKET's picture

Last year sparty came out of nowhere. Lets see how they handle the pressure of being a top team with a target on their back.

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.” John Wooden

+2 HS
Brutus1972's picture

I'm not going to predict our success vs Sparty off of their performance vs Oregon. When I see our WR's being able to get off of press coverage, consistently beat man coverage with a QB that is accurate enough to make the throws vs man to man, then and only then will I predict a W vs Sparty. We didn't have that last year and with a Freshman starting QB the jury is out until further notice. We're not going into East Lansing and running the rock with 2 TE sets down their throat all day and getting away with it. If you don't come out and prove to their defense that your QB and WR's can complete passes vs man to man then that 8th man (SS) will be in the box all day long.

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

It's far from a given that Sparty is automatically going to beat us even with Brax out. Sparty wishes it was automatic.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+1 HS
ponder10's picture

My wife went to Sparty so I tend to watch a lot of their games.

One thing I know about Sparty is that they are masters of not living up to expectations. As one of the posters said, let's see how they handle no longer being the underdog. My money is on them losing more than 2 games (8-4 or 9-3).

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

+1 HS
tOSUperiour's picture

Me thinketh a fan of the green & white is hiding in this thread.

We don't give a Da*n for the whole state of *ichigan cause we're from OHIO!

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Way too early to discuss this. How do any of us know the health of either team by the time they play? 

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

NEBuckeye's picture

Let the 'Sparty is the favorite' narrative take flight.  Let the pundits write the OSU obituary.  Role reversal is taking place. Let Sparty see how they do when they are the hunted instead of the hunter.  Miami (the one in Florida) was a heavy favorite once. 

+1 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

Honestly, I am shocked that MSU is getting so much love. Yes, they had a great year last year, but our D-line lived in their backfield most of the game last year.  Games are won at the line of scrimmage and OSU simply has more talent there than MSU.  The same goes for playmakers on Offense. When one team has a Top 5 Recruiting class every year and the other struggles to be in the Top 25, the numbers don't lie.

Poor Def. coaching cost us last year and i think that has been fixed. 

hail2victors9's picture

Some historical analysis that will probably equate to nothing, come game time (That's why we love college football, no?)

Last year, Sparty lost to ND early.  They played Purdue and squeaked by (by 7 and at home, IIRC).

The following game, they obliterated Devin Gardner's spleen and my Wolverines.  Sparty will be hungry.

Those who stay will be CHAMPIONS!

~Bo Schembechler

The Rill Dill's picture

Well, we all know their head coach will be HUNGRY, anyway.