Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

FAIR WARNING: Mute your TV on Gameday

45OH4IO's picture
August 24, 2014 at 3:15pm
78 Comments

Just heard Uncle Vern and Gary Danielson are calling the Navy game on CBSSN. So, I recommend turning on your local radio station for audio unless you want to hear endless comparisons of OSU to SEC teams. Just a Public Service Announcement.

whiskeyjuice's picture

I'm trying to find out if CBS will air the game up here in the land of Cheese. I need to make plans on whether I can watch from home or have to go out to BW3. Anybody know?

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
RBuck's picture

I already checked on this. It's only on CBSSN not regular CBS. Radio for me.

Don't know if CBSSN shows the same game nationally or not.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+3 HS
sharks's picture

Probably.   I think all Navy games are shown there.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+2 HS
awlinBrutus's picture

I live in Pompano Beach what is my best bet as far as a internet radio feed? not fortunate enough to be in cbus.

MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS

OH1O State's picture

http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/
Input your Zip code/cable provider into the "Channel Finder" section.

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

+6 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Thanks for that, dude.^^^^ Just another reason why I love 11W.

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Hard to do when there isn't an option for "Broadcast"

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

mattanderson1985's picture

Where in Wisconsin are you at? I'm up here in Wisconsin too.  Directv has upper tier package free that week of the game so BDubs will have the game on.

buckeyeinthechi's picture

"WOW!"

There are three different types of people in the world.....those who can count, and those who cannot.

+4 HS
Ohio Guy in Jersey's picture

I thought your thread was about the Gameday show lol. I think it's a show of respect to OSU that CBS is going with their A team for a game that is not on the mother ship.

It will suck royally if OSU plays poorly, but I'm expecting a solid performance and let the comparisons fly!

+4 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Actually, I think it has more to do with Navy and I believe they have a contract with CBS.

+1 HS
tOSUperiour's picture

Right. And that's because it is in Baltimore, not in Columbus. If it was in The Shoe, you'd probably hear Beth Mowins on ESPN2 or Rick Pizzo from BTN.

We don't give a Da*n for the whole state of *ichigan cause we're from OHIO!

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

OMG, NOOOOOOOO!!! These guys are the worst crew in all of sports.

What is the over/under on the number of times Verne gets something wrong and also how many times they say ,"SEC"?

+2 HS
southbay's picture

Verne just needs to call Verne Lundquist play by play...but I guess it's getting a little harder for him to do that consistently as time goes on.

AndyVance's picture

Umm, I understand the no love for Uncle Verne and Gary, but "the worst crew in all of sports?" No. Not even close. See Mowins, Beth; Fouts, Dan; or Millen, Matt.

+6 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

Agree, 'cause they are all Hurtin' Buckaroos

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Andy, I'll take all of them over Verne and Gary. Beth's voice is something else, but between the non stop SEC lovefest and Verne saying something wrong every minute, I just can't take these guys.

VarsityClubMD's picture

OMG, NOOOOOOOO!!! These guys are the worst crew in all of sports.

Leaving De gustibus non est disputandum aside, you must not get to watch much sports.

Dot this

bucks4nuts's picture

HAHA !! 

"To The House"

whiskeyjuice's picture

What are the chances that one of them says that Navy can't match that B1G speed?

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+5 HS
Ohio Guy in Jersey's picture

But I bet some guy on Navy will suddenly sprout SEC speed sometime Saturday, according to Verne and Gary.

+3 HS
lsjSnail's picture

"WOW! Samuel with that SEC spee....oh he is from New York? nevermind."

+2 HS
THE's picture

Vern was in Happy Gilmore!  What have you ever done that would impress a woman?

Drivin > Disco > Drivin.
To the people in the bathroom, how's it going in there?

+5 HS
beamga's picture

"Who the hell is Happy Gilmore?"

+7 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Well played!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

FROMTHE18's picture

I put on Keels during every coverage. Sometimes I don't mind the B1G Network coverage, but I never listen to ESPN/ABC, etc. during the game; it's always muted.

+3 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I used to do that when I lived in Columbus. But the radio was always ahead of the TV by a few seconds..........I always had mixed emotions about that.

+3 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

I've never purchased any, but a product like this has always intrigued me. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

whiskeyjuice's picture

Interesting, I will have to look into it.

bigbadbuck's picture

I can deal with that a lot easier than hearing an SEC comparison every 2 seconds

+1 HS
Wesleyburgess1's picture

Keels is the best play by play guy in the world. Every time I hear him calling a Buckeye game I wonder where did they find this guy. I love it when he says "TOUCHDOWN BRRRRRAXTON MILLER". Sends chills just thinking that I won't hear that again for another year...If ever.

The Clean North's picture

Welp, at least it's not a woman says the simplest. 

buckeyeinthechi's picture

Well, atleast we now know who 'John Bossa' is......thanks Beth (Mowins)

There are three different types of people in the world.....those who can count, and those who cannot.

+1 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

Everytime I hear bad commentary during a game, I have flashbacks of the 2002 National Championship game and wanting to choke Dan Fouts through the TV screen.

How Firm Thy Friendship

AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

I have to upgrade my Time Warner cable package for a day just to get the game, smh

+1 HS
osupolo's picture

I did that last year just for the NFL Red Zone. It is great for fantasy football. The Goal Line channel is good too (when the Buckeyes are not on). Then I just canceled the package after January. 

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Same here. If I had I choice, TW would be the last HDTV provider I would choose. I have to upgrade as well.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

At least we won't hear this from Danielson: "Nick said this, Nick said that.  Oh, Nick. You make me wet, Nick". 

+6 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I can stomach these two the first week.

With alcohol.

+3 HS
osupolo's picture

"Beer, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"

-Homer J. Simpson

+3 HS
collards's picture

I met Verne back in 1980 in Texas. He was a pretty good sportscaster for the news. He was a big SMU fan then. 

I have a hard time with announcers insulting the Bucks and I hear that a lot on these broadcasts. According to most, we just arn't very good and that included the Urb's undefeated streak.

I guess we need to win the championship again (I like that), but when we won it last time, we were still not considered very good.

The trophy looks nice in Columbus though.

Collards

IH8UOFM's picture

At least its better than the alternative

Fran Drescher > Beth Mowins

+3 HS
808buckeye's picture

beth mowins sucks soo hard.

seize the carpe

Seattle Linga's picture

I never really had a problem with Gary (partially b/c he helped mentor Kosar) until someone on here mentioned his biased opinions and then it all made sense - it can be annoying to listen to for three plus hours.

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Is there a single non-OSU alum in the sports media that the commenters here don't hate enough to start threads about? Asking for a friend.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I believe Gus Johnson called the Cal game last year. I really like his calls in both football and basketball.

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I know quite a few people who absolutely hate Gus Johnson's commentary. I agree with you, though. He's great.

I'm just joking about how there's a thread about a different sports media person every few hours. 

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I hear ya I have read the same thing about not liking Gus - I think he's an excellent announcer especially in crunch time. 

Bucksfan70's picture

i hate gus johnson. i would rather listen to (insert woman sportscaster here). IMO even a woman sportscaster would be more bearable than gus johnson.

BUT...

what if we had a female version of gus johnson?

"OH MY GAWD! 27 YARD FIELD GOAL! ROD JONES DOES IT AGAIN! INCREDIBLE! RYAN SHAYZER IS SOMEWHERE ABOVE WATCHING AND CHEERING ON HIS EX TEAMMATES! AMAZING!"

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

BLASPHEMY!   And you spelled Shazier wrong.

Bucksfan70's picture

that's how she pronounced it during the game. you're missing the point.

"rod jones", ryan SHAYz-err etc...

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

AndyVance's picture

I've never understood the Gus hate. Guy's a peach.

What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Those people are what we call wrong.  Gus is spectacular and there should be  a constitutional amendment that he has to work the NCAA tournament.  AND, if he is at a game that isn't so good and a nail biter is going on elsewhere, they just switch the broadcast feeds so Gus announces that game while watching the screen and the people doing Gus's game do the same with his.

Bucksfan70's picture

he's spectacular all right, spectacularly annoying. it's kind of like "damn! that boy good.", "yeah, good and terrible."

45OH4IO's picture

I like Gus a lot. Its funny when he gets excited about something that is meaningless. I would like to listen to him narrate a fat guy eating a sandwich. Would be priceless.

+3 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

roflmao!

Knarcisi's picture

Brad Nessler, Todd Blackledge, Sean McDonough. 

+4 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Yep-Nessler is good.   I also liked Ron Franklin.

Knarcisi's picture

I liked him too. Too bad "sweet baby" got him fired. 

tOSUperiour's picture

I actually miss Craig James and Terry Bowden. Had Terry finished the job and beat TTUN in Ann Arbor last year, I'd sing his praises. Nonetheless, when they were doing the games, OSU had some very positive results.

We don't give a Da*n for the whole state of *ichigan cause we're from OHIO!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Does anyone know if this is the only game that the Buckeyes will be covered on CBSSN?

Sloopy_HangOn's picture

Can't answer it in 100% certainty, but I can't imagine that OSU would be on CBSSN for any other games. The only reason they are for this one is that Navy has a TV deal with CBSSN for their home games through 2017 and this one's considered a home game for them. The rest of them would presumably be on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 or BTN. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks Sloopy - I wasn't aware of the TV deal they had. Are most of the Fox games only for the Pac 12 / West Coast games? 

Sloopy_HangOn's picture

According to a press release from Fox Sports' website, they have deals with the Pac-12, Big 12 and Conference USA. It's spread across Fox, Fox Sports 1 and their regional FCS affiliates. I know this site isn't the biggest fans of ESPN but thank God that OSU games aren't on FOX with all those god-awful announcers (except for Gus Johnson).

WayCraKen's picture

Seriously. Is there any station or network that respects tOSU?  Tressellball destroyed the entertainment value for any other sector beyond the state of Ohio. Its the truth. People hated watching the Buckeyes during his regime. 

Urban is changing this offensively. Hopefully the defense comes along this year. If Oregon, Baylor and Stanford can garner respect surely the Buckeyes can. 

If JT can put it together early I look for OSU to go to the NC game. Involve all of the playmakers. 

Bucksfan70's picture

lol you should just be thankful that gus johnson isn't doing the screaming... err i mean "commentary."

"OH MY GAWD! 5 YARD RUN! UNBELIEVABLE!"

ugh...

Poison nuts's picture

I don't mind Vern Lundquist that much. He's getting older but he's still not bad. He's certainly nowhere near as horribly & terribly biased as Gary Danielson.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

BucksHave7's picture

Just happy to be getting the game.

BucksHave7

droessl's picture

Few things send me into a rage more than Gus Johnson announcing a game where the other team wins.

+1 HS
TheShookster's picture

I will be 100% honest guys. As much as Beth Mowins annoys me, I think her partner Joey Galloway is a pretty terrible announcer as well. Some of the things he said last year made me cringe. Obviously JG was an incredible football player but those skills have not translated to the booth well.

I could never announce because I would get fired day 1 for cussing, being biased or making some sort of comment in bad taste. But that's why I sit behind a computer and write code all day...that's what I'm good at lol

+1 HS
charles's picture

Would love it if these guys did an actual broadcast...

+2 HS
droessl's picture

"Knick knacks, X-Brax, go buy some Tampax.        Tampax!" 

+2 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

This is actually fantastic news.  Uncle Vern and Gary Danielson are the best in the business, IMO.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Hey at least we won't hear how Brax is one hurting Buckaroo 45 times during the game. Or how Rod Jones might be a Heisman candidate.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I still wish Jim Ross could call a game.  "BAH GAWD WHAT A SLOBBERKNOCKER!"

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
doodah_man's picture

They got 15 minutes with me. After that, mute comes on, TBDBITL goes on the sound system, and I control the instant replay through my DVR. 

Jim "DooDah" Day
It is hard to play dirty against a man who picks you up.

sullie's picture

I don't care for the following reasons 1.) Football, football, football is finally back!  2.) It's Buckeyes football and it's finally back!! 3.) Mr. Beth Mowins is not calling the game.  I will know, when I die, if I've been a bad man because there will be football. . . but with Beth Mowins calling the game and the blood will be flowing like a river out of my ears.

whiskeyjuice's picture

At this point, I just want to watch a Buckeyes game no matter who is calling it..........and I like DOODAH's idea of muting the TV and playing TBDBITL on in the background.