Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Per the Dispatch today

mtrotb's picture
August 23, 2014 at 8:07am
45 Comments

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/08/23/at-many-posit...

Urban indicates all the interior positions on OLine are still open.  Said Pat Elflein may play center.  If he does Joel Hale, converted dlineman is play right guard and Billy Price will play left.  If Elflein stays at right guard, then Boren will start at center and Price will still be left.  No mention of Underwood who came out of spring as the tentative starter.

The Rill Dill's picture

Just because it hasn't been reported, does not mean it isn't settled.  It is now game week.  

chicagobuckeye's picture

Conversely, just because it is game week doesn't mean it is settled. 

+7 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

But which came first the chicken or the egg?

+4 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I agree. I was just stating, that it is now game week-----rejoice!!

+3 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Reading between the lines, it sounds like both Billy Price and Joel Hale have made a big push lately, and that maybe the best combination with those three had Elflein at center (I don't think Hale can play center).

TUNBUCK89's picture

As mentioned above, it is game week. Which means most likely starters are penciled in & preparations are underway to go win a football game. GO BUCKS !!!

QueenCityBuckeye's picture

i feel like its been weeks since I've heard anything about Chad Lindsay. I expected him to be in the mix for starting Center, if not the favorite to win the job. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+4 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

2nd this.  Shocked a little really that he isn't even mentioned.

+3 HS
BroJim's picture

I think that speaks volumes about the football program. A second string player at Bama (or the SEC) is a second string player at OSU.

I season my simple food with hunger

+6 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Was thinking the exact same thing.  I think it shows that the gap may be as small as it's ever been between OSUs roster and the roster of the program everyone is compared to.

+2 HS
Young_Turk's picture

I think he's having difficulty adjusting to the slowness of B1G D-Linemen.

+28 HS
Geraffi's picture
+2 HS
countrybuckeye's picture

You could do stand up.  Awesome funny there ...

"Momma told me there would be days like this."

+2 HS
osu407's picture

I imagine his shoulder injury has a lot to do with that. It's a shame for him. 

+4 HS
GoBucksOSU's picture

Did I miss that? Where and when was it reported Chad Lindsay has a shoulder injury?

+2 HS
osu407's picture

Meyer listed the same other guys as battling for the last two starting spots on the offensive line -- Joel Hale, Jacoby Boren, Billy Price, Chase Farris and Antonio Underwood. Alabama transfer Chad Lindsay is also in that fight, but Meyer said he has a shoulder injury that limited him in Saturday's scrimmage.

Quick hits from Urban Meyer's Ohio State news conference, including J.T. Barrett moving ahead in the backup QB race

+6 HS
GoBucksOSU's picture

OK thanks, maybe I have seen it but just forgot or something, if it was reported on 11W anyway.

buckeyedexter's picture

I'm not shocked, Lindsay basically got cut from Alabama, he only left because he knew he wasn't getting much play time if any.  So I didn't really expect him to start here unless someone got hurt or people just weren't looking good in practice.

IGotAWoody's picture

Not true, he was Bama's starting center last year before getting hurt. He missed 4 or 5 games, and by the time he got healthy again, the guy who had replaced him had played solid and cemented his spot.

I read in several places that he chose to transfer when he found out that Nussmeier was being replaced by Lane "how the hell does he keep getting killer coaching gigs?" Kiffin.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

PapaBucks's picture

Lindsay was a spot starter last season when Ryan Kelly was injured twice.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/11/29/ryan-kelly-spraine...

+1 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

Thanks for the link and info, PapaBucks. Because of this article, I went back and looked some more into the situation.

In Spring 2013, Lindsay, entering his junior season, and Kelly, a sophomore, were battling to replace all-world center Barrett Jones. Kelly won the job to start the season, but got injured in the Ole Miss game, so Lindsay took over, and played well, When Kelly got healthy, he returned to the starting lineup.

So Lindsay is NOT some chump that left Bama because he couldn't get playing time. 

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

QueenCityBuckeye's picture

Agreed. Lindsay is far from some leftover. Many of the Alabama fans I spoke to preferred his play to Kelly's.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+1 HS
OSUBias's picture

I'll assume this is motivation speak, because the alternative is not good. if we have nobody separating themselves by now, sounds like a mediocre outlook for them...and I refuse to believe that Warriner would allow that. 

Shitter's full

+3 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

I agree about the motivation factor, but my hope is that everyone is taking it to another level and they ALL are doing well.

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.” John Wooden

+4 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Translation = the 3 best will play. 

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Eesh. OL is STILL getting figured out. Reminds of the uncertainty at LB in 2012. 

Knarcisi's picture

I think it's a good thing. Boren could be a starter. The fact that he is being pushed is a sign of strength. And as a coach, especially with Braxton out, I think you want the competition and energy level as high as it can be entering game week. 

And good for Joel Hale. That's a lot of heart and grit. He fell behind the physical talent on the DL and in one year is making a push on the OL. 

+4 HS
southbay's picture

Hale is a strong lineman who just seems to lack quickness, but he should be able to land a spot at guard, I would think.  He does have a lot of game experience, even if it was on the DL.

+1 HS
ScarletGrayFire's picture

Agreed.  Hale (6'4" 310) has 499 snaps in 29 games slamming in the B1G trenches.  Sounds like they are figuring out a way to fit the best 5 together. 

Decker - Price - Elflein - Hale - Baldwin

Might work out well.

+1 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

“Center and left guard (are) still to be determined, but it’s a much better ‘to be determined’ than it was in the spring because we have (capable) bodies,” Meyer said. 

This part makes me feel a little bit better; however, having Elflien switch from RG to C and having Hale switch from DL to LG then to RG cannot be easy

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Maybe Urban is feeding Tim May BS because May is too full of himself after breaking the Braxton story. (I didn't even check who the author was for this article, nor do I have a problem with Timmy).

-5 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Tim at times can come off as pushy in interviews I think but at the end of the day he is just essentially working hard and doing his job.

I love that in the Urban pressers the guy who calls on the next reporter for a question will call May's name and Tim will always say "a few things Urban" and sneak in 2 questions.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

I was just being silly, see my comments in parenthesis.

brandonbauer87's picture

The uncertainty at o-line makes me think that'll either be a strong point or weak point. Is everyone good or is everyone bad?  I'll take the former. 

+1 HS
hetuck's picture

I think a lot will be settled in today's game scrimmage. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+2 HS
southbay's picture

I like to think this picture is muddled only because there is an abundance of talent and only five starting positions.  Crossing my fingers and toes at this point...

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I feel like I should plan out a special meal for th first game of the season.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
southbay's picture

How about some Navy Bean Soup and a Torpedo sandwich?

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

lol, nice.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

GreatLakesMike's picture

I've been thinking about  Buckeye football and chili for a while now. I bought about 6 lbs of chuck shoulder that I'm going to smoke for the chili. Trying to decide what game the first batch of chili gets made? Weather will play a factor of course. 

ETA: lol... yes, all 6 lbs will go in the chili. I make a huge pot of chili... takes all day. Whatever's left gets frozen for Coney dogs down the road. 

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Man that sounds good. Just too hot right now.

+1 HS
GreatLakesMike's picture

I agree. I have the chuck shoulders in the freezer. I'm thinking late September/early October. Can't say that I haven't been jonesing for chili though....

BigDrill's picture

Having multiple players who can switch between 2 or 3 OL positions is a good thing IMHO. One injury has always bitten the Buckeyes, having options is always a good preference.

+2 HS
ek68's picture

Gotta believe, Urban & coaching staff know who will play where and when, I'm not buying into this don't know yet comments. He knows.

+1 HS
countrybuckeye's picture

^That x 11

"Momma told me there would be days like this."