Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Wilson Samuel and Marshall

TNBuckeye1421's picture
August 22, 2014 at 9:41am
48 Comments

With Miller out a source close to Meyer overheard him tell Herman to "find a way to get Samuel, Wilson and Marshall on the field at the same time." Im sure this is just a special package to see what these burners can do together. Would be interesting if Marshall were to take the snap and have the other two in the backfield with him...

SouthernBuck's picture

I think Urban is liking they new toys he has to play with!

+3 HS
Jack Burton's picture

It's all in the reflexes - Me

+33 HS
bucks_4_life's picture

Top Gun up vote all day, everyday!

The juice is worth the squeeze

+1 HS
BigDrill's picture

Always a thing of beauty

+1 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

4 wide w/ Samuel at the TB

+2 HS
DCBuckeye33's picture

That would be an incredible set of weapons for JT4 to play with. Flying V!

GO BUCKS

+5 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

I like flying V....or Big Nut formation

UFM_Renewal

+5 HS
DCBuckeye33's picture

I would love the Big Nut name to the formation, just to hear announcers say it. "Here comes the Big Nut from the buckeyes" "the bucks really breaking out a lot of Big Nut here vs Navy" and so on

GO BUCKS

+3 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Wow, that big nut formation is explosive!

+10 HS
saluki2007's picture

Thanks for planting a big nut seed in my head.

+3 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

All three line up in the backfield... the nut sack formation.

+6 HS
Icouldnotgofor3's picture

Hilarious.....lol...

woodysyardmarker

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

I never actually LOL but I totally just LOLd with a LMAO on the side

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS
WezBuck28's picture

I'm just pissed right now because we still have 8 days until we can witness such speed on the field..I'm beyond ready for this season to start, and I think I'm gonna be even more "hard core" when it comes to being a buckeye fanatic his season...these dudes have me so amped about seeing how this team performs this season..I feel like I used a red bull to help swallow my pack of yellow jacket energy pills!! lol

+2 HS
rdubs's picture

You must feel like this (source: redditCFB)

+15 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.” John Wooden

+1 HS
Montana silver bullet's picture

I've been thinking this for awhile now, Marshall played QB in high school and a package with him under center and (take your pick) speed on the field===DANGEROUS combo! I'm sure he can throw the ball off of a jet sweep after drawing defenders up that are thinking run. I'll leave those plans to the architect Herman.  Sure hope they have an ace up their sleeve for MSU and meshitagain.  Dantonio has used a surprise or two in tight games--usually special teams.

Montana Silver Bullet

osu407's picture

If this is true, I hope we save it for when we really need it like fourth quarter against Virginia Tech or Michigan State. Those three players will be like Wilson last year where teams look for them to come on the field an change their defense when they do. Having them all will make it impossible to know who to focus on so saving it for the fourth when we need a score without giving the defense a chance to gameplan and adjust. 

The Rill Dill's picture

You're assuming we will be in close games in the fourth quarter?  If the offense uses the weapons they have across the board, I think not.

-1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

THE DIAMOND FORMATION IS BACK!! LONG LIVE THE DIAMOND!

those guys with Eze on the field together will be like this,

The opponent starts the play like the little girl laughing, then they start moving. then the opponent is like the mother, Oh $hit!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

Beat Meatchicken's picture

That's one minute of my life I'll never get back. That made my skull hurt!

yeah, sorry. I should have just posted a picture but the change in reaction is what I believe will happen on the field.

"I got you Dontre, bring it............oh $hit what do I do.........where they go?"

+1 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

The Missing scene from Mrs.Doubtfire!  RIP Robin Williams

Gooz-fra-bah...

the joke is that it was a big discussion last year when they showed it in the spring game and it never happened. So these formations have been mythology for about a year.

+1 HS
iamcbs's picture

I agree SM, this space was full of "wait until we see the Diamond Formation and Dontre" at this same juncture last year and we never saw it once during the season. This is just another 'pipe dream' we're operating with a RS Freshman at QB and two other players in Marshall and Samuel who have never been on the field for a regular season snap in a college football game. To believe that they are going to come in and have a package that will be successful is beyond stupid.

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep, I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion~Alexander the Great

-1 HS
TNBuckeye1421's picture

Im just telling you what I heard. I was excited too last season but the thought was Smith, Hyde and Wilson... Marshall was already hurt and you had a dynamic playmaker at QB. I saw a lot of nice things out of Barrett in the spring game running the football but I think we can all agree he is much closer to Kenny G than Braxton when it comes to leaving defenders with broken ankles. A formation with three sub 4.4 guys actual could be productive and I believe Urban Meyer is anything but predictable.

+1 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

There are already plays in the playbook with two pivots on the field at the same time. 

The diamond is overrated and limiting.  It is ok if you do not have a tight end and you have two really good outside WRs that can consistently beat their man.  One of the RBs in the backfield has to assume the role of the Y or tight end anyways.  With OSU's base 21 formation, the defense will more than likely line up in the Nickel while they will line up in a 4-3 to defend the diamond.  It is much easier to run against the Nickel.

Ross wrote a good article the other day about how we will see more screen passes out of the Quads formation

+1 HS

The Diamond was the buzz play of the season last year, that is all. Last year the combo was thought to be Hyde, R.Smith and Dontre Wilson (I believe that was the group that did it in the spring game). But Hyde and Smith were never on the field at the same time, and probably for good reason.

I do think a diamond formation could work if you had a really athletic TE to be apart of it, one that could still block well too. It would create a dynamic strongside off tackle running game with multiple possible runners. Not sure if that works with the zone read Herman runs but it could work nicely with the talent available. I also agree that good outside WR would be a must to have it work, but it is a pipe dream play that many want to see despite the fact there are more successful plays that the offense runs as is.

With JT as the "distributor", whatever formation they lineup in, once that ball is snapped I would be surprised if he didn't have at least 2 guys wide open he can choose to get a completion. Its going to be more of who could get the more YAC.

oh yeah, I wasn't messing with your post. I was just posting a joke. I absolutely trust you heard that and it happened.

I'm right there with you and everyone, Diamond formation or not it will be awesome if we could see all those guys out there together in some fashion. I would love to see a Diamond with these guys. I would love to see a whirling dervish of speed out there making defenders run in circles.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Even before Braxton got hurt, I believe there was greater than a 50% chance Marshall would run a "wild cat" formation in some games. He did play QB after all and was a pretty solid one at that. I can see him being similar to Marshall is at Auburn. He wont be the primary QB of course (thats obviously JT) but definitely is capable of coming in for special packages. 

Groveport Heisman's picture

Jalin Marshall was one of our best WR's this spring before he got hurt. Dontre is our starting H and Samuel is a speed RB. All 3 were going to be on the field at the same time even if Braxton was healthy. Marshall is not going to be playing QB in any form. We have a guy that weighs 225lbs. and is a threat to run or throw and his name is J.T. Barrett. 

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
Jbucks's picture

i see diamond package in our near future. Barrett with Wilson to the left Marshall to the right and Samuel behind them all for the option pitch.... ahhh the days of speed
trickery galore awaits
also dont be suprised if marshall does let one fly thru the air. it would catch many off gaurd and could leave others like Samuel, or Wilson wide open downfield

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

droessl's picture

Can we use Rice's playbook from NCAA Football '08 with these guys? 

PittBuckeye's picture

We're going to forgo playing the games and challenge the opponents to a 4x100 relay. Game over B1G.

+1 HS
GoBucksToledo's picture

Jalin did play QB in high school...

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

So did Michael Crabtree and Jabril Peppers. I watched Jalin in  HS and I would put the over/under on his college passing attempts at (2.5) total. 

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Montana silver bullet's picture

Exactly my point about him taking a second or third sweep in a game, then pulling back to air it out after the safeties crash. I can dream, can't I?

Montana Silver Bullet

+2 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Dear Coach Meyer:

Buckeye Nation has a new formation for you...The Big Nut, please find a way to implement this in the offense,just for comedic effect. Imagine Matt Millen," And the Buckaroos come out in The Big Nut form...C4 explodes out of the backfield.....nuts on fire!"

UFM_Renewal

+2 HS

as long as Matt Millen doesn't bust a nut, I think that would be okay.