Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Interesting Stat That I Never Knew

whiskeyjuice's picture
August 21, 2014 at 10:46pm
7 Comments

An article from the USA Today was about about this years OSU football season. In this article it mentioned how Ohio State leads the country with 88 seasons in a row without posting back-to-back losing records. Since this streak began in 1925, the article claims that OSU has only had 6 losing seasons. They list them as 1943, 1947, 1959, 1966, 1988 and 2011. 

I know there are theories going back and forth on whether or not ESPN is against OSU but why don't we hear more about positive stats than negative stats? And when the various media try to blast OSU's strength of schedule why don't the mention other top programs with as weak if not weaker schedules? 

Sorry kinda got off my original topic.......................August 30th needs to get here quick.

Rob Reese's picture

I know there are theories going back and forth on whether or not ESPN is against OSU but why don't we hear more about positive stats than negative stats

Largely because there is roughly another 120-125 other FBS schools to cover too.  Not just tOSU.  I personally do not believe the conspiracy theories of ESPN and some supposed hatred of or bias against the school.  I actually think that's a little silly.

Oddly, if you peruse the websites of other programs, they all feel the opposite when the subject of tSOU comes up; that the media is in love with them.

On the topic of stats, my personal favorite 'trivia' question is who has the best winning pct in all of division I FBS over the last century?  The mighty Buckeyes of course.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1913&end=2013&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

whiskeyjuice's picture

My thought about the positive vs negative stats is more about how these are kids being showcased on national TV and with everybody so young still, it just seems like the sport of college football should be promoted in that the media should try and talk about the positives of each university instead of the negatives. I have watched a lot of B1G network the last couple of weeks and I noticed as they were focusing on a different B1G school each day, they would put positive spins on each of the schools. Even when talking about the worst schools in the B1G, they would say that the players were more engaged in practice or would spend more time on the strength of the team. Just would nice to see the media focus less on putting down schools/programs.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

HeuermanTheFireman's picture

It is also hard to love a team that is so consistently good. Think about it, if you were another unfortunate soul, whom was not a tOSU fan, would you love a team that is almost always solid or better? Probably not. It is the status quo by now.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+5 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

I'm confused as to the DV...

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Excellent point above.  I'll UV to counter.

+1 HS
funtubs's picture

Also, Ohio State and Tennessee are the only two programs to never have lost 8 games in a season

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

I haven't watched certain networks in years, but they were always concerned with our record vs the SEC (the product they are all in on).  NEVER any mention of our nation's best BCS bowl record or how many recent years we finished ranked in the Top 5 or 10, or anything positive at all.  I even remember some of their player spotlights about players from the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac, etc. and while spotlighting the players saying, but well...he doesn't play in the SEC either, he wouldn't possibly have the same stats in the SEC, etc.