Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

ESPN Preseason All Big Ten

JohnnyKozmo's picture
August 21, 2014 at 2:06pm
28 Comments

So I just checked out the ESPN Preseason All Big Ten, and there is only 1 Buckeye on the list, Michael Bennett.  MSU has 7, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan all have 3, Northwestern has 2, OSU, Indiana, PSU, Rutgers and Maryland each have 1, and Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue don't have any.

I don't have any faith in this being correct, and obviously Braxton would've been at QB ahead of Cook, as it states in the article.  Lets play a game worth Upvotes to the winner.  There are 26 positions on the list (11 each Offense and Defense, 4 Special Teams).  What does the breakdown by team look like after the season?  (if you want to guess on players/positions-than access to the Premium Lounge would be up for grabs).

JohnnyKozmo's picture

I knew that was coming, the minute I clicked "save" on the post.  If you are right, there will be a lot of happy people on this site.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I actually already looked at this so I'm disqualified. However, it's fine. By year's end we will be up around 6-7 IMO.

Bennett, Bosa, Spence, Grant, Elliott and Decker will make the team.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Not disqualified from anything.  Seeing the article on ESPN doesn't help with anything.

Doran or Curtis?

sox33osu's picture

Ahh I read it wrong. I thought he was saying to predict what ESPN's rankings were.

I'm saying Doran. I think he could be better than Roby.

Mortc15's picture

I can't see 3 d linemen making 1st team. Not enough sacks/ TFL to go around on 1 team. 

Buck-I4Life

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

I don't disagree...add Bosa to the list and it'd be spot on. OSU has no proven elite talent anywhere except for DL and Doran Grant. Preseason teams are based around the past contributions.

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

uh, link. EDIT: sorry, misread the second part.

and I don't really care. A) its ESPN, B) its pre-season polls and C) what idiot puts 3 UM players and 1 OSU (i guess I should have used italics so you can see the joke)

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

-1 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

ESPN lol

UFM_Renewal

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

How in the world does at least one of Bosa and Spence not make the list? Projected to have maybe the best D-line in the country and 1 guy gets preseason all B1G? Shits cray.

I'll go with 8.

sox33osu's picture

To be fair, I get that. The B1G is insanely deep on defensive line talent this year, across the board. Both Calhoun and Gregory are projected top-15 picks next year, even top 10 possibly.

Squirrel Master's picture

Yeah but Randy Gregory is getting hyped way too much. Yeah he got 10.5 sacks, Bosa got 7.5 as a true freshman. And lets look at where those 10.5 sacks came from: 2 against Purdon't and 3 against UM (with that Oline) Bosa had 5.5 of his sacks in the last 5 games including MSU and Clemson.

I think many of us agree that the talent at Dline for the B1G is deep, but if anything Bosa should be at the top without a doubt. I do think Calhoun is a beast but we'll see how he does without Bullough and those two DBs behind him. I don't see the MSU defense being as dominant as last year.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

sox33osu's picture

Oh I am not saying I think Gregory is better. In fact I've heard that if Bosa was eligible this coming year for the draft he'd push for the first DL taken, and there isn't another DE in the nation I'd take over him. At this time, however, Gregory is the hot name and is a pretty solid player, so I can understand it. I'd like to agree about MSU, but we've been thinking that for some time now. Dantonio is just that good.

rock flag and eagle's picture

So, Gregory got 47% of his sacks against Mich and Purdue.

Bosa got 4.5 of his 7.5 sacks (60%) against Illinois and Northwestern.  Northwestern was worse than Michigan (allowed 2.92 sacks/game vs Michigan's 2.77)  and Illinois was 93rd in sacks allowed.  Bosa had his chance to rack up stats against Michigan's line and Purdue's line, but he only registered a total of .5 sacks in BOTH games. Why should Gregory's be discounted?  They played the same teams, and Gregory performed better.  Gregory's line held Michigan to -21 yards rushing.  Bosa's line let Michigan run for 152 yards.

Good players tend to do well against weaker competition.  Gregory accomplished more in his first year of FBS football than Bosa did.  He deserves the preseason nod.

-1 HS
cplunk's picture

This will make Tressel happy- there is no way in heck Cameron Johnston shouldn't be there. Pinned people deep constantly.

+5 HS
TheShookster's picture

the ESPN Big Ten writers suck. I think they have blocked certain members of 11W on twitter. lol

+2 HS
CincyOSU's picture

You act like that's something to be proud of. And people wonder why OSU fans have a bad name...

-5 HS
TheShookster's picture

I was just making light of the fact I think one of the writers on this site got blocked.

I would rather read MGoBlog than ESPN Big Ten Blog...at least I'll learn something once in a while.

Nairion's picture

Biggest snub is definitely Johnston. Freshmen Punter of the Year gets no ESPiN love?? Heuerman is waaaaaay better than TTUNs TE. I know, i watched them play that game.

While i disagree with the Spence/Bosa snub, I can see the argument. Its wrong, but its valid. Unlike the the ones above which are just picked because they hate OSU lol

Nairion's picture

Oh yeah. I pick 6 Cb Grant, Bennett, SpenceORBosa, Johnston, Heuerman, and........

MY MAN JT!!

Hovenaut's picture

There's no shock value to the depth of ESPN's absurdity anymore.

+2 HS
BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

Ohio State- Decker, Thomas or Wilson at WR, Heuerman, Bennett, Bosa, Grant, Bell or Powell, so 7.

BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

Actually 8 I'm predicting Johnston over the MSU punter. And now that I'm looking back, take Powell or Bell off. They will be 2nd team. So still 7.

Mortc15's picture

D Grant, Bennett, Decker, D Wilson, Bosa, Johnston

Hard to see any other skill players on offense with as much as were expected to spread the ball and RBBC. Picked Wilson bc I expect him to be the most dynamic and get the most touches out of a variety of different positions. 

Buck-I4Life

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I think OSU gets two from the DL (Bennett and Bosa), none from LB, two from the DB (Grant, Bell), none from QB, two from RB/WR/TE (Dontre, Elliott, Heuerman your best bets), one from OL (Decker), and one from special teams (Johnston).

By my math, that's 8.

Class of 2010.

southbay's picture

No other QB besides Braxton better than Cook?  C'mon, man!

HeuermanTheFireman's picture

I find it hard to believe there is a better punter in the Big than Cameron Johnston.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

NashBuckeye's picture

1.....1 All-Big 10 for OSU and 7 for Sparty! Sounds like some extra motivation to become an ANGRY FOOTBALL TEAM!   8 days, 13 hours away from kickoff