Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Should J.T. wear #5 in honor of Brax this year?

Squirrel Master's picture
August 20, 2014 at 12:00pm
27 Comments

I was thinking yesterday that J.T. could put on #5 in honor of Brax like Shazier did for Barnett Bryant (I'm a dummy) last year. Would it be too weird and not cool, or would it be a huge gesture and awesome to see a #5 still under center this year.

I think it would be awesome to see J.T. run out onto the field wearing #5 and get under center and have the opponent think about it for a second.

of course J.T. could never be the same player, but if he takes off..

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

lol no

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+2 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

nah ... JT needs to be his own man .... I'm sure he's expecting to keep the starting job next year and make Braxton switch positions ....so he's not going to want to play the little brother role

+7 HS
sox33osu's picture

100% agree. JT Barrett isn't some slouch. He's earned his own number, and as the leader of the offense, he doesn't need to be in anyone's shadow.

+1 HS

yeah I'm not saying he should do it to be a little brother or anything. Would you consider Shazier a little brother to Bryant?

It would be just a gesture as an honor to Braxton, like many players do on many teams.

I do agree that he doesn't need to. I wouldn't mind it if he does, just for this year. then Brax could have it back next year.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Shazier is no one's little brother .... and probably not the best way to describe the Braxton thing ... my real point was that JT Barrett probably came to Ohio St. fully expecting his number to be retired when he leaves ....so he's going to want to develop his own identity ... Shazier already had an identity as the best defensive player on our team .. a number change meant nothing to his legacy

+2 HS

I think the number tied to the player is no longer necessary to prove you belong. Almost every number at OSU has an all-timer tied to it, if not multiple.

if a recruit comes to OSU to expect their number to be retired,  http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2012/02/24/osu-halts-ret.... The number no longer represents the players, because those numbers are already tied to past players. Even Jordan changed his number. Just because Lebron wears #23 in honor of Jordan, he isn't any less of a player (and he was wearing #23 before he became who he is)

I understand what everyone is saying, they don't agree. Fine, but I disagree with this reason because he can still be a great player whether he wears #5 or not for one season.

logamaniac's picture

comparing someone like shazier who was already established and honoring another player at a different position is in no way shape or form comparable to a red-shirt freshman trying to make a name for himself "honoring" the guy in front of him by wearing his number.

thats a dumb idea, also one braxton is more than likely not interested in supporting since JT may be taking his job permanently 

What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

I see what you are saying but I am going to go with no.

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

No, but it's funny... I was wondering if Shazier might try to wear #5 for the Steelers, but I don't think LB's can have single digit numbers in the NFL?

+1 HS

since many are saying No, does anyone wear #5 on offense this year? QB or not?

-3 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

No, Braxton will be wearing  # 5 during the games, on the sidelines

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.”

+2 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

No.  Carve your own identity. 

+1 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

This is DUMB!  Let JT be JT (i.e., his own man).  This would be incredibly insane... to lump those expectations onto this kid.

+3 HS

what expectations? I'm talking about honoring Braxton, not trying to walk in his shoes.

and in case you have missed the last couple of days, JT is being lumped in with Braxton and JT is getting huge expectations for an aspiring national contender already. I don't think a number change would make it that much harder. To be a Buckeye QB comes with expectations. I doubt this would increase that.

-3 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

If Hail suggests he wears #98 the answer is still no.

Edit:  5 on the back of the helmet might be cool though.

brandonbauer87's picture

I didn't like it when Shazier wore #2. Stick with #16 young fella. 

SOF_Buckeye's picture

No.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

buckeyedexter's picture

Well then I wouldn't have to buy a new jersey!

joebuckeye's picture

He should wear whatever number he wants to provided it isn't taken.

+1 HS
vitaminB's picture

I think as a tribute he should throw the ball using all five fingers.

+1 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

Or better yet, score 5 TDs in one game !!!

+2 HS