Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Hypothetical Questions For Next Season

One Bad Buckeye's picture
August 20, 2014 at 8:05am
38 Comments

First and foremost, I'm going to keep praying for Braxton and his recovery.  It absolutely kills me to see a kid like Braxton going through something like this.  As a former JuCo pitcher, shoulder and elbow injuries are obviously pretty terrifying and tough to fully recover from.  

Looking ahead to next season, suppose JT or Cardale step in and absolutely light it up, does Braxton automatically get the nod to start next season, or does he have to fight for his job back?  

Say we do win the B1G Championship and at least make the playoffs, would you take a chance at potentially disrupting any rhythm and chemistry built this season by putting Braxton back in?  

Obviously Braxton's leadership, especially by next season, would be invaluable but I have to imagine the coaching staff would be in a pretty tough predicament should the replacement QB step in and knock everyones socks off ala Tom Brady/Drew Bledsoe. I suppose it would be a good problem to have though.  

Go Bucks!

sox33osu's picture

I hate to say this, because I love Braxton and what he brings, but if Barrett comes in and lights it up and leads this team to a conference title and a playoff birth, shows good rhythm with the offense, and is a great leader, he's our starter next season. You don't mess with that, no matter who is coming back.

+5 HS

I agree, but I also think about what a monster Miller would be if he came back 100% with a year of watching film under his belt.  

Mind blown.  

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+1 HS
BuckeyeAbroad's picture

I hope for the best all around for Miller, Barrett, and the team of course, but Miller is the best option at quarterback whenever he comes back.  Also, I think we need to pump the brakes on transferring expectations created based on a team led by a three-year starter who happens to be an insane athlete to a RS freshman who has never taken a single live snap (or to Cardale Jones, for that matter). Yes, Manziel and Winston played out of their minds and won the Heisman as RS freshmen. That's two guys - ever - which should not create an expectation. So, respectfully, before we start talking about Big Ten championships, National Championships, and unseating Braxton Miller next year, let's let Barrett get his feet wet, see how our new-look D and rebuilt O line do, beat Navy, and go from there. 

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Sam Bradford broke several records as a RS freshman after winning the starting job in the summer. You're also forgetting how guys like Nick Marshall, Marcus Mariotta, Kellen Moore, RG3, Pryor, Colt McCoy, and Pat White all played as freshmen, whether RS or true. He doesn't have to win a Heisman to be a very, very good QB.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Mr. Tebow also contributed as a true Freshman, and won the Heisman with an insane season as a Sophomore (same age as all of the RS Freshman) in this offense.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

You're assuming Miller is the best option for next year already. Yes, it's premature to expect J.T. to play like JM or Winston, but what if he does? I don't think it's a guarantee right now that Miller is the better option without seeing what JT (or Cardale) can do. 

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

or whether or not braxton heals or is ready in time for next season.  hey pot meet kettle with regards to expectations.  As it stands JT is the starter next year until braxton proves he can play or cardale outperforms him

braneli's picture

Tough to say. I think if a healthy Braxton and a season-successful JT duke it out, Braxton wins the spot, but shares the load with JT. But my overall opinion is that Braxton should get healthy and draft, JT is the future, and the future is now.

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

cplunk's picture

This injury kills me for Brax because it puts him in a brutal spot. He just isn't going to get drafted highly after sitting out a year, especially when there was already significant doubt among NFL scouts as to whether his passing abilities were improving. He needed this year to show them what he can do in that regard.

But coming back is almost worse. If JT or Cardale craps the bed, then no problem. But if JT or Cardale kills it, Brax coming back is not really good for him and is flat-out awful for OSU. If JT takes us to the playoffs, I don't see how you don't have him as the starter next year. JT is going to be here for several more years, are you going to mess with his development the year AFTER he proves he's the man? Are you going to split time, which almost always destroys the rythym of an offense? Are you going to watch as the team internally starts to subtly split between the "this guy shouldn't lose his job to injury" and "this guy led us to the playoffs" camp?

Playing both won't work either. In any such situation Braxton will be primarily a runner, and the reason he needs to come back is to show his improved passing ability to the NFL.

This is just brutal timing for Brax, and if Barett succeeds this will be tricky for the team next year.

willshire58's picture

If JT lights it up this year, Braxton would have the option to transfer somewhere else and be eligible immediately for next year because he'll graduate in December. This scenario makes me sick to my stomach, but it is a possibility if JT takes the job and runs away with it this year. 

+1 HS
DCBuckeye33's picture

I think this is the most unlikely scenario put out there. Braxton would come back to OSU and fight for his spot before transferring. Short of JT winning the Heisman, there's nothing that would scare Braxton, he knows he's the best option for OSU when he is healthy.

GO BUCKS

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

"...he knows he's the best option for OSU when he is healthy."

If Barrett wins the conference this year, I don't know how you can say this for sure.

DCBuckeye33's picture

I guess maybe if OSU wins the conference title because JT throws the team on his back and drags them there, I could see that. But if we win on the strength of all the young talent stepping in and living up to their high recruiting rankings and JT manages the game but doesn't add much, then it is still Braxtons team.

GO BUCKS

sox33osu's picture

I don't think he needs to "throw the team on his back". If Barrett comes in and shows great leadership and gels well with the other players and proves to be a winner, why would you mess with that? I don't care about having stats at QB - I care about having wins. Unless the team is winning while Barrett is proving to be a liability, I don't want to mess with that. I love Braxton, but he is not more important than the team winning.

DCBuckeye33's picture

I agree that wins are most important, but unless he is the reason we win, I don't see Barrett taking over for a healthy Braxton next year. Braxton Miller was THE reason we won a good portion of those 24 straight wins. If Barrett takes over, distributes the ball well enough, the D is greatly improved and keeps us in games while the offense is merely average, then even if we win the Big Ten and make the playoff, I think Braxton takes over. If the offense has another record breaking year and Barrett wins B1G POY while being the catalyst of the offense, that's different. I just think it is possible to win all our regular season games with Barrett at QB but without him being great, such is the talent we have this year (at least I hope that's the case).

GO BUCKS

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I guess my question would be - if Braxton is an unbelievable playmaker but we have nothing show for it through his 3 years (granted, one year we had probation and I understand that), what makes you think that is what we need for this team to be successful? Braxton put up some crazy stats, but I also can't help but think we could've been unbeaten last year as well if we had a more balanced offensive attack. Much of the same point as I was making above - if Barrett comes in, runs this offense well and puts up good numbers while leading us to an undefeated season and B1G title with a spot in the playoffs, I'm pretty thrilled. Plus, after a year off, would you really say Braxton is necessarily a better choice than Barrett with a full successful year under his belt and another offseason with this staff in this offense?

DCBuckeye33's picture

I guess I find it harsh to say we haven't won anything with Braxton, so his style isn't conducive to winning. I think that's a huge leap. We have had some average to below average defenses in each year of his tenure, and that contributes to not winning. We had 12-0 team that destroyed Nebraska in the regular season miss out on a rematch due to things outside his control. We lost close to a team that was quite frankly better top to bottom in the Big Ten title game last year. Saying haven't won with Miller yet, so if Barrett does it he must be better than miller is a stretch to me.  The offense under miller last year was the most prolific in OSU history and that is with what a lot of people think were less talented skill position players than we will have this year (save for Hyde of course). If Barrett comes in executes really well and leads a solid offense, I think it is reasonable to think Miller would have then lead an even more potent offense. A lot of things factor into winning a Big Ten title and to say if Barrett leads a team to winning it this year, than he is better for OSU than miller seems false to me. I hope Barrett leads that title run and we get to debate this even more feverishly in the offseason!!

GO BUCKS

sox33osu's picture

I'm not saying that to blame Miller exactly, but I don't believe in taking a proven winner out of the starting lineup if he proves to be an integral part of winning. As I've said, I love Braxton, but I just don't think it's fair to take JT out if he's doing great work. Remember, he's still going to have 3 years of eligibility left after this season. If you let him start, have him succeed, and then make him a backup again, that can greatly affect his growth. If Braxton comes back next season and clearly outplays JT leading up to the season, then that is fine and I think he should be starting. I do, however, think that at the very, very least, Braxton would have to 100% earn the starting spot back over JT if JT has a great season with a conference title.

DCBuckeye33's picture

Ok, I agree with a lot of that. If youre saying the performance of Barrett as well as the overall team would impact the decision I am on board. I also agree totally that Miller will have to earn back his starting spot. He needs to show he is healthy and is the best choice, no question.

GO BUCKS

logamaniac's picture

thats a lot of supposing when it would have been a year since braxton really starts throwing the ball again.  How do you envision him being a better QB than a guy thats been able to spend the same year honing his craft? 

DCBuckeye33's picture

I think that's a lot of supposing when we talk about J.T. leading us to a B1G title and running the table as well. I guess a lot needs to play out. Braxton could be throwing again by the Spring and J.T. could be very mediocre. J.T. could be the second coming (of Tebow) and Braxton might never fully heal. A lot to be decided between now and then, all I was really saying was that if 2013 Braxton is back, he should get a chance to win back the job. And who knows, maybe J.T. develops to the point where even a fully fit Braxton cant get the job back. Either way very interesting times in Columbus

GO BUCKS

If I were Braxton and OSU did that to me.....I'd transfer to _ichigan.  

All kidding aside, I don't see OSU flipping the bill for James Andrews to fix his shoulder only to let him transfer somewhere else and potentially kick our ass.  

I don't disagree with you though....tough scenario for sure.  

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+1 HS
dancorona5's picture

couldn't Braxton come back as an H-back or Wide out...it's where he will most likely play at the next level anyway...

willshire58's picture

If he makes a position change, why not just turn pro? Antwan Randle El made the change in the pros, I don't see why Braxton couldn't.

+1 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

Under this scenario if Barrett has a great year and is a big reason for the team's success ( not just a 'manager' of the games ), then it would be hard for me to replace him. That said, if Braxton came back and was decisively better at running the team next year then I would start #5.

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.” John Wooden

buckeye_heart's picture

Two quarterback system? Maybe? Worked for Urban before.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

It did, but the two QBs were very different (Leak and Tebow), and while JT and Brax aren't the same either, they are close enough to where it wouldn't be enough of a difference in scheme that the Defense would have to prepare any differently, IMO.

Has there been a timeline on his recovery yet?  Is this something that is 3-4 months, 6-8, 1yr?  I think that will determine ultimately if he returns.  There's a long time between now and the draft.  How many times have we seen players say they are coming back, and then leave?  If he's 100% and can throw by the time the pre-draft workouts are taking place, I think he's gone, especially if JT lights it up and the team is successful.

+1 HS
WezBuck28's picture

To me, it sounds like brax really wants that degree more than anything..playing football would just be a luxury.. If splitting duties with JT at qb, or being JT's back up, or whatever his role on the team may be helps make our team that much better, then I think brax will do what is asked of him..

TMac's picture

There are a LOT of IFs between now and then, but given your perameters of JT doing very well and Braxton coming back for '15 - Urban plays whomever moves the Offense most effectively, and that is likely Braxton, provided that shoulder recovers to health. 

jamesrbrown322's picture

How about we sit back and enjoy 2014 first, and then worry about 2015? I'm still all in with this team. Without Brax, and with their schedule, this is still, at worst, a 9-3 team with potential All-Americans along the DLine. So, while it is fun to think of 2015 and how good they will be (I think that they will be amazing, probably best collection of talent since at least 2006), let's remember that we get to watch Michael Bennett, Jeff Meuerman, and Devin Smith for one last year, not to mention, we could see stronger performances from the Grants.

So, let's appreciate the 2014 team for who they are and what they can and will accomplish before writing off the whole season. Don't get me wrong, the Bucks will be SCARY good in 2015. I have no doubt of that. However, i also look forward to seeing whether EzE is who we think he is, whether Jalin gets some time, and whether or not Dontre finally breaks out. It's gonna be a good year.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

My buck's picture

With Braxton turning coach for this year, I think he and the other QB's will have a great relationship. I think they'll all understand next years situation and enter into it with a positive understanding. Braxton is definitely too talented not to be on the field in some major role. 

+1 HS
jarnold4112's picture

My thoughts; IF JTB goes no worse than 10-2 and wins a bowl game then he's the starter going into 2015 (assuming he starts for the entire 2014 season). There's no way that Urban disrupts that chemistry or risks losing Barrett via transfer by inserting Braxton back into the starting lineup. 

I believe that Braxton may have jumped the gun on saying that he'll be back next year. If his rehab goes well and he graduates in December, he should probably declare for the draft (regardless of draft projections). He's too good of a football player not to make it at the next level and I think he would be risking a lot by coming back considering his injury history at tOSU.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

My thoughts; IF JTB goes no worse than 10-2 and wins a bowl game then he's the starter going into 2015 (assuming he starts for the entire 2014 season). There's no way that Urban disrupts that chemistry or risks losing Barrett via transfer by inserting Braxton back into the starting lineup. 

10-2 isn't good enough to solidify his spot over Braxton. Not even close.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

otrain2416's picture

I'm glad you brought this scenario up because I was running through it in my head as well. Personally if JT has a lights out year, I think its hard to take the ball out of his hands the following season. Then again, I'm glad I'm not the one making that decision. 

IBleedSandG's picture

It'd be an interesting problem to have. I think the majority of the team would be clamoring for Braxton just because of the type of dude he is. Also, Meyer is really fond of Miller. Not saying he doesn't like J.T., but I think he has a lot of respect for the things Brax has had to endure and how hard he plays.

"You pick up the rifle and go as hard as you can possibly go."
-UFM

Gobucks2204's picture

I was wrestling this last night when I was trying to fall asleep.  I believe Braxton 2015, will be better than the 2014 team would have been with Braxton as the starter.  J.T Barrett starting in 2016 will be just as good as he would have been if he was starting quarterback in 2015. So we will have a better 2015 then we would have had, and 2016 would be about the same or slightly better as it would have been if Braxton never got hurt.  J.T will have another year of Braxton mentoring him as he starts this year, and next year as his understudy again that he wouldn't have had if Braxton had never been hurt.  2014 will be worse then it would have been had Braxton been healthy. 2014 will still be a good year though with J.T.  Take home message we now have Braxton for two more years. One on the sidelines mentoring, and one starting and being a mentor. If you can understand my logic you are ahead of me.  

Are you thoroughly confused by all these hypothetical questions? I am. Take home lesson is let's not worry about what we can't control. Let's just take it one game at a time, and one season at a time. Can the season get here any faster?

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

I think at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Braxton sounds like he's going to do whatever it takes to lead this team, whether thats starting QB,H,or being a mentor for JT. Miller wants that B1G championship and the NC, seems it doesn't matter to him how it gets done.

Thats what you call a true Buckeye, and a true leader

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS
The Clean North's picture

There is an easy solution to this "problem". You get them on the field with each other. Imagine the amount of trick plays we could run with a dual threat qb on each side of the field. Defensive nightmare.