Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Cardale

NashBuckeye's picture
August 19, 2014 at 9:15pm
24 Comments

Cardale Jones seems like the forgotten man in the past 24 hours. I am on board with J.T. Barrett and hope he does a great job running the Offense, but you have to believe that Cardale will be needed at some point this year.

I hate the 2 QB system as much as anyone but I wonder how much time Cardale will get, if any, in the Navy game. Obviously, the Virginia Tech game looks a little tougher going into it with a new QB. Hopefully, there is a package of plays for Cardale in the Navy game that at least gives Bud Foster something else to prepare for.

Tom Herman earns his money this year. A great Offense this year in this situation probably gets him multiple interviews for HC jobs.

KBonay's picture

Good point.  Something every team will have to consider now, what QB is going to be under center.  And how long of a leash does each one have?

whiskeyjuice's picture

I willing to bet that we will see Cardale get some gametime action too. I don't think it will be a 2 QB system but if J.T. struggles, we will probably see Cardale. Also, if J.T. leads the Bucks into a blowout win, Cardale will see mop up duty. 

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I think Pantoni's tweet was pretty telling.

This is JT's time, struggles or not

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
gumtape's picture

The backup qb is always one play away. Jones will be ready.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+2 HS
TraSmith4's picture

CJ already has more experience than JT, we need JT to get as many snaps as possible especially before the VT game and only if he proves not up to the task should they put CJ in... just my opinion.

+4 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

Hopefully, Cardale continues to compete in practice like he still has a shot to win the job. The immaturity he showed early in his career concerns me a little. Would love to see him have early season success to keep him focused and ready.

All that being said, J.T. seems like he may be a better fit for the Offense and I hope he learns to run the Offense like Kenny G did.

+2 HS
Citrus's picture

By all accounts, CJ has been a model citizen and serious student since his famous twitter incident.

+4 HS
2002osubuck's picture

The impression I get is Barrett's a better version of Guiton without the experience. So once this kid gets some snaps, he should be really efficient in this offense and probably will.

+2 HS
nikolajz1's picture

Florida was a train wreck after Tebow because Urban didn't pick one guy and ran some weird 3 QB system. Pick a guy as the starter and go with it. 

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

Ah but he did use two qbs quite well in 2006 with leak and tebow.
I can see JT being main guy and Cardale getting redzone play. With his size, easy short yardage TDs.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+3 HS
dwcbuckeye's picture

Perhaps Cardale ~ Tebow in his Freshman year.  He'd be a load in goal line situations

+1 HS
southbay's picture

Can Cardale do that jump-pass thing?  I always hated watching Tebow do it, but opposing defenses couldn't stop it.  

+1 HS
zachross83's picture

I think most people would be on board with this.

+1 HS
2002osubuck's picture

I think Jones with Smith and Elliott would be a lethal goaline package. Read option with a lead blocker, tough to stop.

+1 HS
Marcus Hall's Middle Fingers's picture

I've hated the two QB system since Stanley Jackson / Joe Germaine. I believe there needs to be a clear #1 guy. I do, however, like the idea of a package or series for Cardale that can be used in certain situations during meaningful minutes during the game. Packages like this are somewhat cheap for the offense to install, but end up expensive for the opposing defense in terms of practice minutes. Plus they are just annoying to the opposing D-Coordinator to game plan. Also keeps a back-up QB dialed in not just during the game, but throughout the season. 

+1 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

honestly this is very reminiscent of chris leak and tim tebow vs our buckeyes in 2006.  although leak was like a senior and barrett a rs freshman but still.  I bet they bring in cardale on 2nd/3rd and short situations for a run pass option that forces defenses to have something prepared and when it breaks down it leads to big plays

+1 HS
southbay's picture

I'm sure Urban hasn't forgotten those things that got him to the top not so long ago.  This year he won't have Braxton but he will have more speedy playmakers than ever.  Could be interesting and fun.

+1 HS
niblick's picture

Mr we aint come here to play school is not a qb of a top 5 team, period. Sorry to burst your bubble.

-10 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Man, it's really awesome to have a certified football genius around to let us dumb cow-pokes know what's what! Here I was thinking nobody knows for sure yet what either QB is capable of...

Edit: I was also silly enough to think a 2 year old tweet is not the basis from a which a person should be judged. But like I said, I'm dumb.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+4 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

C'mon man. People change. He's made every effort to be a great person since then, no need to be sour. Cheer on your Buckeyes, don't talk down.

+6 HS
zenshade's picture

He didn't even necessarily need to change, other than being smarter about the size of his twitter audience and the likelihood of his tweets being read by people that very much DON'T have his best interests in mind.

Other than always thinking the worst of others to artificially elevate a weak self-esteem, there's no good reason to interpret "We ain't come to play school" as anything other than a colloquial teenager lament intended for his homeboys. Read in that light, and not as an indicator of functional intelligence, it's actually pretty funny.

+3 HS
Poison nuts's picture

^^^THIS!

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

mtgerken's picture

Cardale was flat out awful in not only the spring game, but also most games last year. Lets be honest. Every snap against Penn State he found some excuse to drop into the pocket and then scramble, I don't believe he attempted a pass when he clearly was set to do so. Never been a big fan, but hey if he can get the job done so be it. On the other hand I have seen a lot of good things from J.T. he has great mechanics and I thought he played much better in the spring game. Plus all of fall camp he has already been taking snaps with the first team, so its not like he is being thrown in there all of the sudden. Flat out we have to many playmakers on the field for a defense to handle. I don't care whose lining up at QB when you have guys like, Dontre, Heuerman, Curtis Samuel, Corey Smith, Mike Thomas, Zeke, Rod Smith, Marshon Lattimore, and Jalin Marshall, its going to be hard for any defense to stop those guys. Im really excited!

"Because I couldn't go for three!"

+1 HS
zenshade's picture

I didn't think Cardale was awful. Passing touch left a lot to be desired, but his size and physicality often kept plays alive in a way that reminded me of Cam Newton and Vince Young.

That said, one thing I noticed about Barrett from his highlights was excellent touch on the ball and very quick decisions. Reminded me a lot of Guiton, who was better than Miller in those aspects. When the offense sputtered under Miller, it was almost always due to holding the ball too long and not taking the easy opportunities that were available. Of course, Miller was capable of firing a 30 yard rope for a TD on 3rd and long, or busting a 40 yard run, to compensate for the wasted downs.

+1 HS