Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

The real question is...

thowen79's picture
August 19, 2014 at 7:56pm
10 Comments

How does this affect recruiting for this upcoming class? Does Torrance Gibson see this as a positive or a negative? What about other kids, does this make them want to come play with Braxton next year?

WesPatterson23's picture

It definitely could go either way. Personally, I would prefer to learn under Braxton, and maybe get some reps in special packages, similar to what Tebow did.

BassDropper's picture

Gibson won't be the starter his true freshman year. This is a positive.

2015 Braxton will be the starter (no question about it, even if Barrett leads us to a championship), JT will be the 2nd string and still get game reps, Gibson will redshirt and have the luxury of learning from Braxton and JT.

2016 we will see a "QB competition," but in my mind the Redshirt Junior Barrett will get the nod with Gibson having designed packages...and possibly lining up some at WR for game reps. 

In my opinion, Gibson's first real chance at starting will be his Redshirt Junior year, unless JT tears it up and enters the draft early. Again, this is a good problem.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Woodshed's picture

How, in any way can you say that Miller will be the starter next year? And THEN you went even further and said "even if Barrett leads us to a championship". 

Are you freaking serious?

-4 HS
BassDropper's picture

How, in any way can you say that Miller will be the starter next year?

If Braxton is 100% (for real) then yes, our returning 3 year starter, 2x Silver Football award winner, 2x B1G Offensive Player of the Year, 2x BigTen QB of the Year, 4th all-time winning QB in OSU history will be the starter next year. 

DIRECTIONER

+7 HS
Woodshed's picture

One of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.

If JT wins OSU a championship, he has done something that miller never has.

-5 HS
BassDropper's picture

In my opinion, JT can win a championship just by managing the game. JT has a ton of skill surrounding him, and (hopefully) an improved defense. Braxton has had only one real chance at playing for a championship, and he isn't to blame for not winning one. 

2011- true freshman QB thrown in to the fire after what should have been a redshirt year. Had very little talent surrounding him for much of the season.

2012-Undefeated, would have at least played for a NC if not on sanctions. This is a fact. 

2013- Put up amazing numbers and won a shit ton of awards after missing 3 games. Would have beat MSU if not for Everitt Withers/Pittsburgh Brown/Defense. Fucked his shoulder up against Clemson and still came back on the field to try to lead his team to a victory. 

To me it's ridiculous that you are making it sound like it's Braxton's fault that we haven't won a championship.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Woodshed's picture

Where did I say it was all braxton's fault?

FYI, Braxton had almost all of those weapons last year.

Just for clarification, so if JT takes OSU to a championship, it's because of the weapons/rest of the team. Braxton NOT getting a B1G championship is because of the weapons/rest of the team? So the weapons/team get the credit for JT, but the blame for miller?

BassDropper's picture

Im expecting the defense to take a big jump...Like the saying goes, "Defense wins championships." When you allow an offensively challenged team like MSU to have their way with our defense, then yes...most of the blame goes to the defense. Hasn't that been the theme all offseason...to blame the defense? JT should have a very good defense and might not have as much pressure on him.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

One game at a time..........

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
kmp10's picture

If Barrett leads Ohio State to a title, conference and/or national, it'll be very difficult for Miller to regain his starter status, in my opinion. First, he will have done something Miller hasn't - won a title. Second, if the Buckeyes win the B1G and advance to the playoff, Barrett will have had to have played a major role in that success. I think Barrett may well prove to be a better passer than Miller… more accurate, better able to read defenses and involve more weapons in the offense. These things are not Braxton Miller's strengths. Braxton is a tremendous athlete. One of the best I've ever seen play college football. Losing that athleticism and experience is a dramatic blow… but by seasons end OSU could possibly find itself with a better QUARTERBACK under center than its had the past three years. 

+1 HS