Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Silver lining time

chirobuck's picture
August 19, 2014 at 2:16pm
32 Comments

alright guys, give me some long term scenarios where this injury turns out to be a blessing in disguise, I would start with the obvious and that is Braxton comes back next year with an Oline that is more cohesive than they will be this year, a RB that is better (Elliot) with a year under his belt and a WR corp (Wilson, Marshall, Clark, Thomas, Smith, Dixon ect) that is better after a year of experience.....next year we win it all  

DannyBeane's picture

Hopefully our defense is lined in silver

+1 HS
TheAFBuckeye's picture

Bullets

Let's Go BUCKEYES!!!!!

+3 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

HANG ON SLOOPY, HANG ON!!!

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

I just don't see Brax coming back. Why risk another injury? Especially when he can collect a pay check for his kids. It'd be great to see him in S&G again, but i think the Orange Bowl is the last time we can :(

Get well Braxton, you are ALWAYS home in Ohio

UFM_Renewal

+5 HS
Mizzillion's picture

Maybe....

+1 HS
Little Dan's picture

He firmly said he was comming back. If your calling him a liar, line up!

Little Dan

Furious George 27's picture

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+9 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Twice I've seen this...and had to do a double take both times

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Am I missing something? 

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Well, um, yes?

Just think for a second. Did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor?

UFM_Renewal

Jabba the Hoke's picture

Don't stop him, he's on a roll.

PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

There was speculation that Braxton wasn't going to come back for this season.  It isn't a guarantee that he is going to come back next year.  He would be risking another injury and he has a family to provide for. Personally, I hope that Barrett improves and becomes the next great Buckeye quarterback.

Go Bucks!

TheBadOwl's picture

He would be risking another injury and he has a family to provide for.

Let's stop this narrative. Yes, he has a kid. But from what I've heard, his family isn't poor. They're middle class. They don't have to pay for his living expenses or tuition.

He stands to make a LOT more money by coming back for another year than he does if he tries to make it onto an NFL roster at a position he's never tried (RB or KR) after missing an entire year.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

I'm with you on the kid part.  I keep reading that on every single article about his future.  It is all speculation.  It's also speculation that he would make a lot more money by coming back.  It's also speculation that he could make it as a RB or KR.  I guess time will tell.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Buckeye Chuck's picture

The only positive I see is that now we are (barring something strange happening) going to have an experienced quarterback in 2015. This is assuming Barrett can survive the wrath of the fanbase if the current season goes kerplooey, and I think almost everyone here is severely downplaying the chances that is going to happen.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+1 HS
BuckeyeMark's picture

Look at Johnny Manziel for the Aggies.  He came out of nowhere and was incredible (yes, he's a jerk, etc. off the field - and sometimes on it - but there's no doubt he had mad skills in cfb).  You don't know what is sitting on the bench lots of times.  JTB was one of the top ranked QBs in the land till he hurt his knee.  It just makes everyone else play harder.  

One of the other big programs WILL have a big injury at some point in the season too.  I'll take ours now when we have two weeks to prep JTB for the first opponent and several weeks before B1G play starts.

Don't be surprised if this is Troy Smith and Justin Zwick all over again...

+2 HS
Mortc15's picture

I'll take ours now when we have two weeks to prep JTB for the first opponent.         

You mean "we had all spring and summer to prep JTB for the first opponent." Braxton hasn't thrown since the Orange Bowl, really. 

Buck-I4Life

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

Mark, that is a truly great point. I think it'd be a bit presumptuous to say JTB is on Manziel's level, but he was more highly regarded as a HS player, and seems to have a similar skillset. If that turns out to be the case, we will be in the playoff picture for sure, and absolutely the favorite to win the conference.

jamesrbrown322's picture

No way Brax comes back. It would be very irresponsible honestly. He has suffered an injury every single season in Columbus, so why risk anything further? This injury is serious enough. No need to risk any further damage without being paid for it. Load up on classes and rehab. Graduate and prepare for the Combine. Stay determined and persevere. He can lead this team from the sidelines and in the locker room. He can help JT lead the team this year, and develop him, still being a significant contributor to what will still be a B1G Title contending team.

Long term, the future leaders get a ton of experience, winning 9-10 games, playing in a January Bowl Game, and develop into an unstoppable juggernaut for 2015-2016.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

-2 HS
AJBor41's picture

To counter your point, if he was projected as a 5th rounder after last year. What makes you think that rehab and prep for a combine can earn him an NFL roster spot better than on-field performance in 2015 (with a much more experienced supporting cast)?

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I'll admit it. I was wrong. Hope he can get back to 100%. QB competition in 2015 will be AMAZING.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+2 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

Braxton's season ending injury and JT becoming the starter one season sooner REALLY sets OSU up for a Title run next year. The ones hurt most are the Seniors. They are men, they will stand even taller and lead this team to a Big Ten Title.

+2 HS
Mortc15's picture

Excellent point. Play this season out and get what they can out of it, which best case is a BT title and playoff spot, and worst case probably 9-10 wins. JT will be prepared with a year under his belt and another year for all the athletes to mature and grow into their roles. 

Buck-I4Life

Zallton's picture

I'm looking at this like I looked at the Cavs. In such a miserable example of running a team, drafting Anthony Bennett might have actually led them to winning a championship. IF instead of drafting Stay Puft they draft a capable human being, they might contribute enough for the Cavs to make the playoffs. IF they make the playoffs, they don't get the first pick. IF they don't get the first pick, they can't draft Wiggins and have the trade bait for Love. IF we know we can't give Love, Lebron might not come back.

We are going to be a much better team at every position next year compared to this year, except for Braxton leaving. That was before the injury. Now we either have XBrax360 or an experienced Barrett leading a stacked team. Instead of having back to back years of falling short, we can have a very good fun season this year and a truly dominant year next year. 

+1 HS
M5gatronBuckeye's picture

JT Barrett is a 4-year starter, goes down as one of the wining-est QB's in Ohio State history, goes 4-0 against *ichigan, wins National Title

"I play to win, whether during practice or a real game. And I will not let anything get in the way of me and my competitive enthusiasm to win"
Michael Jordan

+2 HS
RunningFree's picture

JT Barrett is a 4-year starter, goes down as one of the wining-est QB's in Ohio State history, goes 4-0 against *ichigan, wins National Title 4 times

Fixed it.

+1 HS
Dayton Buckeye's picture

Did Braxton have an insurance policy? Didn't FSU purchase one for Winston. I don't think he will come back next year, but we can always hope.

tennbuckeye19's picture

The good news for Ohio State is that this guy doesn't coach the Buckeyes.

+8 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

If JT is good I dont see Braxton coming back even if he wanted to. I imagine he will get a redshirt to keep his options open, but a situation like that would likely lead to a tranfer of the displaced QB (Barrett). No one would want to lead a team then be benched. It is not like we are talking about a couple games. This is way more hypothetical scenario than we should be playing at this point. My bad for playing into it.

TheBadOwl's picture

All of the coaches have said time after time that JT is all about the team. He's barely ahead of Cardale right now, if you think that the staff wouldn't welcome Braxton back with open arms, you're insane.

JT's not the kind of guy who would transfer if Braxton came back and started. He's also not the kind of guy who wouldn't put up a fight. I think Braxton comes back and JT accepts his role as the best backup QB in the nation.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Urbz4President's picture

I think Brax would have to earn his spot back if Barrett turns out to be a stud. And I'm certain Brax wouldn't have it any other way.

chirobuck's picture

Alright with a healthy Braxton in 2015 we make a run.....does this persuade some of the juniors on the fence to come back, maybe a guy like decker or Spence?

^ best post ever ^

+1 HS