Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Just a few thoughts.

Sims_tOSU's picture
August 19, 2014 at 10:32am
21 Comments

I like everyone else is devastated that braxton may miss the season. But I've always been a glass half full guy and now it give JT a shot to get some time. But does that mean if braxton does miss the season he will just medical redshirt? And I could be thinking too far in the future but if he does redishirt and play next year that would then mean if we get torrance gibson then gibson will get to redshirt and get better as QB too? 

osu07asu10's picture

Totally taking the over on the JT threads today...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+5 HS
Killer nuts's picture
+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Hell, I might even take the over on "Just a few thoughts" threads...slightly riskier but better payout if it hits...

+1 HS
awlinBrutus's picture

All viewpoints are welcome, but comments should remain on the topic set by the original story, user blog post, or forum topic. If you can't contain yourself, a new forum topic is only a click away. Maybe you should read the commenting policy.

MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS

-2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Your comment does nothing to address the forum topic set by the original story. 

Maybe YOU should read the commenting policy...

Orangeslash's picture

He doesn't need to medical redshirt, he's still eligible for his regular redshirt. But who knows. All this speculation is making me regret waking up.

Buckeye Knight's picture

How could Meyer possibly decide who starts in 2015 if Braxton returns after J.T. wins the Heisman this year?

+4 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Id be ok with that problem #tOSUissues

UFM_Renewal

+2 HS
awlinBrutus's picture

would be a good problem to have I'd take it.

MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Braxton is gone.  He cannot risk another injury, especially his shoulder.  If he gets healthy now, a team will take a risk in the later rounds.  If Braxton came back and was reinjured, I don't think anyone would take the risk on a QB with multiple shoulder injuries, and he would have to either sign on as a rookie FA, or change positions.  In order to have any chance at guaranteed money, he's got to go into the draft and show's he's healthy in the pre-draft process, and how a team will take a risk on him without seeing him in live action.

braneli's picture

With the taste of bitterness running down my throat, I concede and must agree that you're probably right.

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

If he doesn't play at all, I'd be surprised if he got drafted. All the projections were late round last year anyway, then consecutive shoulder injuries does not equal similar draft stock. He'd get a shot with someone obviously though, and I'd be surprised if he couldn't make a roster.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Clarett was drafted.  And he was out of Football for more than a year.  Granted, it wasn't an injury that kept him out, but he was a 3rd round pick.  Braxton has 2 more years of film than Mo C, and none of the character issues Mo had..  If he checks out fine during the pre-draft process, then I would imagine more than one team would spend a 4th-7th round pick on a high risk/high reward player like Braxton.

PittBuckeye's picture

Completely different, pretty much everyone though if Mo C came back he would have been a first rounder. And if he would have won his case against the NFL he very well might have been a first rounder that year. Braxton hasn't been rated that highly by anyone really. 

And a 4th rounder? He wouldn't have been a 4th rounder according to most draft guys this last year, so he misses a full year with 2 shoulder surgeries on his throwing arm and gets drafted higher because he checks out ok? Huh?

+1 HS
OscarSierraUniform's picture

Here's something to ponder.  If Miller were to redshirt and come back for his 5th season, how would that impact Torrance Gibson's decision?

See ball, get ball.

PittBuckeye's picture

Not at all, Gibson is still learning to play QB, and you don't expect to be learning to play a position and start as a true freshman at a school like Ohio State. 

+2 HS
buckeyes763's picture

Braxton and TP disagree with you....

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Which one of those two can we compare Gibson to right now? Obviously there are plenty of exceptions, but I'd also say that nobody really expected Braxton to be the starter going into that year, and Pryor didn't start every game if you remember, and one of those 9 was not the bowl game. 

But both of them were higher ranked passers than Gibson is. Nobody was wavering on whether they'd take either of the 2 as a qb or whether they only wanted them as a WR. 

osubuckeye134's picture

Here's to the intials "JT" no longer making me think Jim Tressel first!

+3 HS
TheAFBuckeye's picture

I hadn't even though of that but well played.  I still love Jim Tressel though!

Let's Go BUCKEYES!!!!!

sivaDavis's picture

JT took A LOT of snaps with the first team that normal backups wouldn't take. He's gotten good and bad reviews from Herman and Urban and he's still learning but like it said in today's Skull Session, he is lightyears ahead of where guys like Braxton and Pryor were at his age. I remember a while back Herman saying the biggest advantage JT has as a QB is he just flat out a leader.

We are basically where we COULD have been at this year if Braxton decided against coming back. JT has lost some snaps with the 1's but he has taken probably about the same amount as he would have had Braxton not come back. Seeing the QB battle would have still involved him and Cardale going at it. I'm really optimistic but I just don't understand how people are calling the season already? With a hopefully improved defense and more speed on offense, all JT needs to do is be smart. He is already matured so all he has to do is go out and get better and better each week. He's already attached to Herman's hip so he won't miss out on coaching. 

Personally, do we lose a step without Miller? Yes of course. Can JT make us forget about that lost step by the time the Buckeyes play Cincinnati? I 100% believe so. If he can get in a groove by then, I think Penn State will be a winner and the games at MSU and against TTUN can be won as well. This is where we were going to be anyway in 2014 had Braxton left... I say let's see what happens.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS