Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

How Relegation Could Fix College Football

VintonCountyBuck's picture
August 15, 2014 at 12:07pm
9 Comments

I found this posted on landgrantholyland.com and found it quite an interesting take on strength of scheduling issues with college football:

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/8/10/5989423/how-a-relegation-system-could-fix-college-football

Scheduling

The most important reform made under this system to me is uniform scheduling. Eliminate the cupcakes that every team schedules each year to pad their chances at making a bowl, say goodbye to schools that never even leave their home state in their non-conference schedules (Florida), and conclude the arguments over which team plays in a better conference or against a tougher schedule. By taking the scheduling out of the schools' hands, schedule padding is eliminated.

While I pick on Florida above, every school is horribly guilty of the scheduling cupcakes phenomenon. Please see Texas A&M's 2014 non-conference schedule as an example: Lamar (FCS), Rice, SMU, and UL Monroe. Not one of those schools is even in the top 80 teams in the country according to most preseason ratings/logic. In this format, every game you play would be against a team in your Tier, meaning every non-conference game would be against a top 64 team in the country if you are in Tier 1.

Under this format, scheduling would be normalized and transparent across all of college football. Similar to the NFL, each school's schedule would be based on yearly in division matchups, rotating opponents, and scheduling based on performance. The goal is to make each school's non-conference schedule as close to even as possible while preserving the yearly in division matchups that we have all grown to love. Transparency is also a big plus as fans would be able to figure out the teams' schedules the next year as soon as the season was over, just like how fans of the NFL can.

I love the idea of NFL-style scheduling every year.  It would make for marquee match-ups (at least in theory) for non-conference games, while allowing some of the bottom dwellers to feed off each other in order to climb out of the cellar. 

Buckeyeneer's picture

I've always thought that this was a great idea. "Hey Purdue and Indiana! You want to play in the B1G? Prove it!"

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+3 HS
Unky Buck's picture

This has been brought up on SB Nation before. I like how they actually break it down to the other tiers and show how all things can play out through the years assuming things played out as they have.

It's certainly an interesting concept that I'm all for but I do wonder if it would actually work if put into place. 

+1 HS

Yeah..it seems it might not have the right economic incentives in place right now, in order for the major schools to adopt this system in place of the guaranteed home games.  But perhaps in the future, once the turbulence from the oncoming waves of change dies down, it can be re-visited and viable.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

That's a good point. I certainly agree with that. If thought through correctly, this could realistically work. It may take awhile for it to come to fruition, if it's even being talked about in the inner circles, with all the aforementioned turbulence around the NCAA, but to constantly field the best teams in the upper echelon would be one hell of a thing to do and should be considered.

One of the things that I really love about the idea is that it forces programs to step up their games. Having Purdue and Illinois just sitting around, collecting a paycheck from the BTN while fielding some just God-awful teams is ridiculous in its own right. This forces teams to step it up or lose their paycheck. I understand teams do go through bad years, but this has been an issue with some teams for a long time. Maybe it's better to send them to a lower tier conference for a year or two, get things straightened out, and come back up if they can prove it.

+1 HS

One of the things that I really love about the idea is that it forces programs to step up their games. Having Purdue and Illinois just sitting around, collecting a paycheck from the BTN while fielding some just God-awful teams is ridiculous in its own right. 

I think think this statement right here is the key to any future changes like this taking place.  The BTN or TV rights in general will mean much more in the future of the sport as it continues to gain in popularity and as a result, cost-of-attendance prices out the common fans from the games.  The *ichigan AD has already acknowledged that the 60" Home HD screens are a major competitor for his program up North.  The B1G seems to have been very proactive in capturing possible TV markets and this just seems like the logical next step.  To improve the on-field offering(s).

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

As much as I think Brandon is freaking terrible, he is correct in that assessment. I would much rather go to a bar and have a couple drinks or watch it with my dad at my parents' house than attend the game. It's a good $200 weekend for just me to go down for a game and that's usually with staying at a friend's place. At least they're starting to realize it.

So with the importance of actually having good matchups with not only the OOC schedule, but within the conference as well in order to appease the fan bases, it's imperative to put the best product out there. If that means NDSU moves up to the B1G after several years of proving themselves against good competition, bring it on. If it knocks Purdue out for a few years and gets them to get up to par to move back into the B1G, great. The old adage says to put your best foot forward...that may mean relegation is necessary to do so.

+1 HS
FunZone's picture

The B1G MAC would be an appropriate fit for the Midwest

I asked Braxton how his knee was before halftime at Berkeley and he said, "What up, man."

+1 HS
Curt Heinrichs's picture

Charlie Weis, Ralph Friedgen (who is currently the Rutgers offensive coordinator), Hoke, and Bert like their respective team's chances at the B1G MAC title. 

+1 HS
I bet we have no problem getting a sponsor: