Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

UNLV and Oregon State added to replace UNC

HotSauceCommittee's picture
August 14, 2014 at 3:34pm
33 Comments

97.1 The Fan reports UNLV and Oregon State added to schedule. Well......that is disappointing.

OSUStu's picture

Both in Columbus I have to assume?

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

I dunno. UNC was a home-and-home, so I'm guessing Oregon State will be too. UNLV won't get a return game.

Rob Reese's picture

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+20 HS
sox33osu's picture

This really describes it perfectly.

+1 HS
BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

Oregon State isn't that bad. Almost on par with UNC.

+6 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Oregon State isn't that bad. Almost on par with UNC.

Can't argue with that.   I personally was hoping for a little better than isn't that bad though after scraping the UNC match up's.

+5 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

It's hard to know for sure, a few seasons in advance, but I think that Oregon State has a better chance of being a top 25 team than NC does.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+4 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Debatable.  But I'm on board with the optimism.

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

Could have been a bigger name but I don't mind bringing Oregon State in.

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I'd of rather seen Bowling Green or some other MAC team over UNLV. What the hell is the point?

+5 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

Totally agree, tho based on last year, UNLV was a better opponent than San Diego St. (UNLV beat them 45-19), Central Michigan (31-21) and Hawaii (39-37), all teams we've scheduled recently.

But I'm with you, I'd rather that money went to an Ohio school.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

umbyosu's picture

That was quick.  Are either one of these opponents worthy of the premium ticket price, such as the SCUM and VaTech games this year?

Groveport Heisman's picture

Traveling to Oregon state would be down right insane.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

IGotAWoody's picture

I don't think they'll be doing a home and home with them. I think it's a one off game at the Shoe.

JOhio1560's picture

+1 for Get Smart reference.

"You Win With People" - Woody Hayes

OscarSierraUniform's picture

Meh.  I can deal with Oregon State.  UNLV? 

See ball, get ball.

MJB15's picture

But this makes us look bad. Instead of a home and home series, we just get two home games with one team on par with UNC and one not.  Makes us look like we are avoiding an away game with a "power conference" team. 

+1 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

I like that we're playing a Pac-12 team in Oregon State.  UNLV had a good year last year (for them), but I can't get excited about playing them.

Go Bucks!

JOhio1560's picture

I actually prefer this schedule.  Oregon State is on par with North Carolina.  And it's a Big Ten/PAC 10 12 matchup which is way more traditional than Big Ten/ACC.  And I really don't mind UNLV.  They are a decent program and we've never played them before.

"You Win With People" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

From looking at future schedules, even with adding UNLV & Oregon State, OSU is still looking for another non-conference opponent in both 2017 & 18.

BierStube's picture

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+5 HS
45OH4IO's picture

Hahaha. Combine that with the sad trombone noise and we have a winner!

+1 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

I'd rather play Oregon State and UNLV than another MAC team. There's still room to add another marquee matchup in there somewhere, too.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

OscarSierraUniform's picture

A horrible Oregon State team came into the Horseshoe in 1984 for the season opener.  It was Spielman's first game.  I remember Oregon State dominating us in the first half.  They took a shocking 14-3 lead into the locker room at the break.  We shut them down in the 2nd half.  I remember Spielman destroying their QB a couple times in the 2nd half as we came away with a 22-14 win.  It was much closer than it should've been.

See ball, get ball.

+1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Oregon State is a huge step up from UNC. UNLV I couldn't care less about, but they're probably not much worse than UNC. Maybe even on par.

MJB15's picture

I respectfully disagree with everything you just said. How is Oregon St. a huge upgrade? Just in the last 5 years UNC has made 4 bowl games compared to 3 for Oregon St. I would say par, far from "huge upgrade". And for UNLV, I'll just leave that one alone 

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Disappointing in brand recognition, but close to equal on the field. Gene could've done a lot worse. 

+1 HS
crusher's picture

Why not just schedule Purdue two more times?

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Wow. Just wow. Agree that Oregon State is not any worse than UNC. But UNLV? Seriously? Color me disappointed if this is true. Especially after all of the smoke that Smith was blowing re: neutral site games and ND. This type of scheduling is what Bama is allowed to get away with, but the media won't let OSU slide if they don't add a good game to go with the UNLV year.

At least they're two sure wins! Then again, so was UNC...

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

But UNLV? Seriously? Color me disappointed if this is true.

Yeah, I think the fan consensus is one of collective disappointment.

ab1993's picture

At least we'll show them who the real OSU is...

+1 HS