Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Todays Cowherd Show

awlinBrutus's picture
August 14, 2014 at 1:13pm
35 Comments

Jorge Sedano was guest hosting and his last guest was Butch Davis. I guess Davis is working with the game day gang and they are doing a 7 teams in 7 days caravan previewing the upcoming season. Cowherd is really touting the Pac Ten as the 2nd best conference as usual. I know I know, he is a  west coast guy so no shock he is touting the pac ten. all of the talking heads are cautiously picking TOSU to make the playoffs "if" Braxton is ready with his shoulder and stays healthy. But my main question is how is Butch Davis still cashing in on college football? Of his 2 head coaching jobs @ Miami and UNC both of which he left a mess with NCAA and academic investigations under way. I guess he was cleared by the NCAA and has no "show cause" to stop him from coaching again. just find that surprising that he has skated from the messes he created.

Jabba1977's picture

Good point!!

SECHATER77

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

Still mad at Butch from his days with the Browns. He ruined Tim Couch's career. Couch somehow became a joke but  go back and look at his stats and remember some of the games, he was pretty good. Somehow lead the Browns to a playoff game. 

+3 HS
HattanBuck85's picture

Tim Couch, is that you?

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

+11 HS
MordenoftheSith's picture

Because ESPN doesn't care how horrible you are as a coach or person...

Examples: Stephen A Smith is still employed despite being outwardly racist and insensitive to DV; Matthew Barnaby was FINALLY let go after multiple DV charges; Jay Mariotti was FINALLY let go after a few too many run-ins for DV and alcohol abuse

Also, ESPN isn't governed by the NCAA.

EDIT: DV in this instance is shorthand for Domestic Violence, not down votes, just in case folks are confused.

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+5 HS
OSUStu's picture

Thank you for that clarification.  I was definitely confused.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

and insensitive to DV

Such an overblown situation. :/

Jay Mariotti

Jay Mariotti has been off of ESPN for 4 years.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-2 HS

Jay Mariotti has been off of ESPN for 4 years.

It still doesn't excuse the fact that he had multiple run-ins while employed there and it took them 3 years to finally say "enough is enough" and canned him.

That was partly why I listed him as an example.

+3 HS
mh277907's picture

Not to mention Ray Lewis

buckeyebobcat

+3 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Honestly though, alot of people are insensitive towards downvoting like Stephen A. And no surprise there, Mariotti and Barnaby both come off as serial downvoters.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

Gametime's picture

Stephen A. Smith was in no way outwardly racist, nor was he insensitive to domestic violence. Women, regardless how people feel, bare a responsibility to keep themselves out of that situation, as well as men to have the presence of mind not to abuse women.

It's not one way, and the physical & verbal abuse by women to men is underwhelmingly acknowledged, and is a huge problem.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

-4 HS
logamaniac's picture

yeah i don't like SAS but he just chose his words badly and didn't support himself with the right words.  instead he just got loud and angry sounding.

as far as calling him racist i don't know what you mean, he's just a prick but I'm pretty sure thats a character he plays on TV and radio because everyone always talks about how much they like him.

sivaDavis's picture

Out of that situation? How exactly was Ray Rice's wife supposed to KEEP herself out of that situation? By not being on elevators alone with Ray? Or being alone with him period?

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Gametime's picture

I'm not specifically talking about what happened with Ray Rice & his wife, but generally speaking. I don't know what she did to him, either verbally or physically prior to them getting on the elevator.

In NO WAY does that excuse Ray, but at the same time, she MARRIED HIM. That's an act of trust and security; you take vows. So she must at least know him well enough to be confident this was a one time thing, OR they could have a volatile relationship in private. We have no real way of knowing, but I will speculate and say that she probably wasn't innocent and that Ray just couldn't take it at the moment and regrets what he did.

We all have moments where we snap, at home, at work, in relationships, etc. At some points enough is enough, even though we may not like how we've responded to the situation after letting emotions get the better of us and we get a chance to calm down. 

I just don't like any double standards concerning women. Women say and do some terrible, hurtful things on purpose that they know will provoke you, on purpose and then sit behind the premise of "being a woman" to protect them from retaliation, whereas if it was man, society would applaud the verbal/physical abuser getting their ass kicked.

I just see more of the human element that needs to be addressed versus the gender element.

-2 HS
chemicalwaste's picture

It's pretty disgusting that you would place any blame on a woman for a man hitting her. I read what you wrote so you don't need to type it in caps to try to make me understand. You're dead wrong. DEAD WRONG.

-2 HS
Gametime's picture

It's pretty disgusting that your reading of that brought you to that conclusion. The only thing I typed in caps was "MARRIED" and I respect your opinion, but being a trained individual I don't separate domestic violence from general violence - the only difference is that it's between a man & woman who know (and should trust) each other. Violence can be instigated and performed by any person, no matter your gender and shouldn't be instigated by anyone no matter the gender in civil situations.

Women aren't exempt. PERIOD.

-1 HS
OSU069's picture

It's not disgusting. Obviously a man should not hit a woman just for an argument. That is a terrible thing to do. But if the woman gets violent first, sometimes there might not be another option. It isn't exactly black and white.

+1 HS
Gametime's picture

This is exactly what I'm saying, it's definitely shades of gray for each individual scenario, but there should be equally firm lines for forceful and antagonizing acts of violence that are baseline - not adhered to a discriminatory gender bias.

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Exactly. I'm tired of the narrative that violence only matters if the man hits the woman. It works both ways. 

Whoa Nellie's picture

Or she got paid.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I bet Michelle Beadle is the one that downvoted your post, Gametime.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Not defending Stephen's comments but I wonder the point he was trying to make is about not instigating no matter the situation. Meaning, if you are in a neighborhood where you are the minority, whether it be race, gender, religion, etc, don't let your actions initiate a confrontation. But trying to imply that point with a domestic violence situation.........I don't think it translates. A man or woman should never cause harm to the other unless in true fear of their life, in other words, defense. NO EXCUSE!

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Let's just put it this way - there is a network out there that will hire you even if you've had some shaddy crap in your past. And espn they don't care what sport you where in.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Matt Millen-destroyed the Lions with an inability to assess college talent and make good decisions on draft day.  Yet, ESPN has him as an analyst for CFB.  I can't stand watching a game he is calling.  His opinion on any player is completely irrelevant to me.

+6 HS
NW Buckeye's picture

Matt thinks he knows all, but his air time shows him to be quite uniformed.  Problem is that much of the audience is also uninformed so they take his commentary as gospel.  Can't stand listening to him during a game. 

+2 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

Listening to Matt Millen makes my head a hurtin' buckaroo.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+9 HS

I kept waiting for him to end that statement with a low growl of "Bonzai" because who DIDN'T watch that flick!?

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture

No matter where you go, there you are

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
OSU725's picture

Can't forget Jim Bowden, the guy ran two baseball franchises into the ground (Reds, Nats) as GM. It took the Reds farm system years to recover and as you can see the Nats have finally been able to field a good team as well recently. It always cracks me up when I hear Bowden talking baseball personal moves on ESPN.

hetuck's picture

To be fair, Davis cleaned up the Miami mess, didn't create it.  

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+1 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Pac-12? Not to be that guy...but I'm going to be that guy

UFM_Renewal

TheBadOwl's picture

Oregon, UCLA and Stanford are all top-10, USC is top-15 right now, Arizona State is top 20 and Washington is top 25. That's six ranked teams. The Big Ten has four.

The Pac-12 is absolutely the second best conference right now. 

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Ok? Not what I was pointing out

OP has Pac Ten in the article....tis the Pac-12

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Ah wow, long day, thought you were making a B1G vs Pac-12 statement. My bad.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
awlinBrutus's picture

but you are.

MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS

-1 HS
THEOSUfan's picture

Butch did leave disasters behind him at UNC and the U.

I look at it the opposite way: despite his coaching resume (which does have some success in it), no one has hired him.  It seems to me that he hasn't skated away from those messes.  It appears that it caused AD's to stay away from considering him.