Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

From a VT Site - Building a defensive gameplan against Ohio State

Orangeslash's picture
August 13, 2014 at 2:59pm
30 Comments
RK84's picture

After reading the article, and the comments, I was unaware that the Bucks struggled against Buffalo and didnt seal the deal until the last posession? Not the game I remember. I remember getting up and taking the foot off the throttle...Buckeye bias Im sure.

Other than that, pretty good write up.

+3 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

1Q: 23-0
Half: 30-13
3rd: 37-20
Game: 40-20

No it wasn't a close game.

Earle's picture

Ten point game late in the third (30-20) felt a lot closer than I wanted it to.

Italics are for emphasis.

+7 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Ten point game late in the third (30-20) felt a lot closer than I wanted it to.

On the next possession the Buckeyes reeled off a 14 play, 91 yard TD drive.

The Buckeye possession following that went for 10 plays & 76 yards & resulted in a FG.

The two drives combined for more than 12 minutes of clock time.

No, it was never close.

sarasotabcg's picture

No, no, no. We should take the Lou Holtz approach.

Buffalo was a dangerous defense and we were lucky to escape with the win. But this VT defense we'll face will be an almost insurmountable task. It will take a supreme effort by everyone in order to get by VT with a win.

-2 HS
osu_killernuts's picture

It's funny that VT now has a defense on par with MSU last year.  I'm not underestimating VT by any stretch, I just don't see them stopping us in the fashion MSU did last year.  Call me crazy, but this year's offense is going to be vastly different than last year's with Hyde.  I think we will be doing a better job get the playmakers the ball in space which will spread out the defense a bit then we go to a more ground and pound attack as the game progresses.  Last year OSU had Hyde pounding the rock, Miller's legs, Philly on short routes and too rarely Devin Smith deep.  

This year has D. Smith and Miller, plus playmakers all over the place.  When this offense gels, watch out...it will be fun to watch.

Granted, I will miss El Guapo this year without a doubt.

Hate is a strong word.  I hate ESecPN almost as much as I hate the whole SEC conference which is a close second to TTUN.

+2 HS
Orangeslash's picture

I think the writer wasn't suggesting their D was anywhere near as good as MSU's, but more so the schemes Sparty uses against us and how they can mirror them. Regardless, I think our offense beats their defense 100 percent of the times we matchup, however mirroring the one team we "struggled" against can't be too bad of a gameplan.

+1 HS
FitzBuck's picture

I found it funny they said this

defensive end are unblocked and squeezing down the cutback lane to finish off the tackle. Hyde has nowhere to go.

about a clip that Hyde gained 5 yards up the middle.

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+2 HS
Orangeslash's picture

When a man only has two runs in his career that lost yards, a 5 yard gain is a victory. Ha.

RedQueenRace's picture

When this offense gels, watch out...it will be fun to watch.

Yeah, it will.  But that gelling is something that concerns me a little bit.  This is the second game of the season and I expect it to be a real test of the rebuilt OL.  Hopefully they gel quickly.

CTBuckeyeFan's picture

UCLA's Brett Hundley wasn't as efficient executing read options, but he was a terrific athlete on par with Braxton Miller as a runner

Umm, is this guy serious?

+5 HS
osu_killernuts's picture

I want to know how many QBs have Miller's athleticism and his arm strength.  Hundley is not one of them for sure.

Hate is a strong word.  I hate ESecPN almost as much as I hate the whole SEC conference which is a close second to TTUN.

+2 HS
cdub4's picture

Huntley is a tremendous athlete. 67% completion percentage, future first round pick, great arm also ran for 11 yes. They are pretty close. Winston has great athletcism and arm strength also.

-2 HS
BuckeyeRealist13's picture

I agree Hundley is a much better pro prospect at the point than Miller, and a much more advanced passer. Having said that, he is correct, Hundley is not close to Braxton's speed, agility, and quickness when he decides to run that football. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

+1 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Good read. They are correct in suggesting that strong DB play against our WRs (at least last year), plus a strong defensive line gives us major issues. 

Fatpants's picture

Strong DBs with strong DL will give lots of teams issues.

+3 HS
allinosu's picture

The MSU safety made up the ground because the ball about five yards under thrown. Being consistant on those type of plays will make or break it against MSU again this year.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Is he forgetting that MSU's D gave up 24pts and nearly 400 yards of offense?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
goodlifesean's picture

One commenter, I believe the one who wrote the article mentioned this saying, can VT score 24 points on a defense featuring three potential AA linemen.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

Unless they have another Vick brother hidden somewhere, I'm doubting this happens. Among the teams they scored 24 or less against last year:

East Carolina
Duke
Pitt
Ga Tech
Maryland
Virginia

Fatpants's picture

The only hope for their defense is that ours isn't fixed.

+6 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

The more I read stuff like that the more and more I hope Meyer and Herman learned something from the B1G title game. True Sparty showed there's a way to slow down OSU but they did not come close to completely shutting us down and even then Sparty had to play the perfect defensive game just to do that. Can VT do the same? I sure as hell hope not.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

BROSEPH's picture

I'm glad this game is in Columbus.  VT is always dangerous, although inconsistent at times.  Their defense was pretty solid last year, front line especially.  They held the Alabama offense to 14 points (punt return, kick return, INT return).  Should be a good early test for the Buckeyes.

Then again, this is the same VT that lost to Boston College and Maryland.  

Ahh Saturday's picture

On the other hand VT did give up 42 points to UCLA, and Hundley ran for 161 yards on 10 carries while adding 226 yards and two TDs through the air.  If Braxton is healthy and the OL comes around, VT has no chance of stopping the Buckeye offense.

+1 HS
Travis's picture

I read a bit through the comments. The hilarious amount of confidence from them basically saying the game is "dependent on VT's _____" is hilarious.

We are Ohio State. This game will be handled by us and we will smoke them. This will be a blow out and it won't be pretty. 

We are in control, you will know what it feels like to have a score ran up on you and get embarrassed. 

This game does not depend on what your team does. Ohio State will be the deciding factor of this game and will be in complete control.

Ugh, Michigan State at least had a top notch defense and a reason to be confident. They have no chance.

They need a 2 to tie, a 3 to win it; Sylvester for threeeee... OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH OHHHHHHHHHHH WITH FIVE POINT ONE TO GO!!!

+4 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

They are worried. I smell the stench of fear and it is an ugly smell...

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice - those comments give you a flavor of the fan base feelings. I like the one comment about having the ability to pull off the huge upset.

Urbz4President's picture

Ive always wondered what it feels like to be a fan of a team that is rarely never in national title contention. What are their hopes? Just to not have a losing record? How is that fun?

With that being said, all of this talk of an utter blowout is relatively unrealistic. This isn't Florida A&M or Kent State. This is an ACC school, one of the larger ones at that, that has a decent recruiting base. They have good players and good coaches. I think we will be victorious in the end, but it won't be a breezy walk in the park. Especially this early in the season while both offensive and defensive units are still gelling. This will be our first true test of this season. How we perform that evening will set the national narrative on the 2014 Buckeyes. A huge game in prime time. Those VT players and coaches will be bringing their A-Games. Like I said, I'm fairly certain we will be victorious, but we need to be dominant on both sides of the ball. Even though the BCS Era is over, its still not only IF you win, its HOW you win.

Lets get out there and show the nation we've fixed the issues from last season and we're ready for anyone.

+1 HS