Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Connor Cook: The Gatekeeper

Hoody Wayes's picture
August 12, 2014 at 10:03pm
56 Comments

The Spartans are gunning for the NC.

Watching the replay of the B1G CG, I realized how tall a task it will be to take down the Spartans, in EL.

Cook is a bad ass. Even more so, at home.

What's the game plan...other than, hope they're undefeated?

Knarcisi's picture

Play some freaking coverage that allows us to pin his ears back and have him running for his freaking life. There's also a safe assumption that the offensive line experiences the slide of the Bollman effect in year 3. 

+14 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Prepare like we never have before, we will need to win this game based on more than just the revenge factor. I also feel like with our offensive aggressiveness they won't be able to stop us like last year. Lessons learned.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Pro style, pocket passers never, ever worried me with our defense, until last year. Just need to turn the page back. No way he sits back there and has time to do whatever the fuck he wants to do. Damn, I'm fired up already. 

+3 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

Remember: Connor Cook had to win the QB gig, last year.

Bummer: The 2013 B1G CG was Connor Cook's career game.

Fact: Connor Cook is a big game QB.

-1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I'm watching the replay of the B1G title game last year and I'm beginning to get worked up myself. Gotta be honest, I'm going to be straight disappointed if the Buckeyes don't get revenge on the Fartans. I mean like, really taking it to them. Winning by 20 plus and treating them like they don't belong on the same field. But, I digress, a simple win even by 1 point will make me happy.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

-1 HS
hsipecbc's picture

Haha!! "Fartans!" Hahahaha!

rock flag and eagle's picture

Yeah, in the OP you said he is a bad ass, even more so at home.  Did you know that he's not very good at home?  

He completed 57% of passes at home; 60% on the road/neutral.  He only averaged 144 yards/game at home; 248 yards/game on the road.  His QB rating is way higher on the road/neutral (144 vs 123)  His yards/attempt is better on the road (7.8 vs 6.4) and his TD/INT ratio is way better on the road (4.6 TD/INT on the road vs 2.6 TD/INT at home)   He's not a particularly good QB and he struggles at home more than on the road.  The only reason he is getting preseason hype is because he had the fortune of playing the 112th and 98th ranked pass defenses to close the season.  He isn't very good.

awlinBrutus's picture

some of big plays they had against us the receivers were "WIDE" open. that won't happen this year imo. they lose 6 on D from last year I believe. they also lost a lot of experience on the OL. their D had a great chemistry last year, I doubt they can reload like that. takes time to develop raw talent like that.

MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS

KevinJ's picture

The Walrus coaches tight ends, but yeah it will be nice not having to watch Pit Brown and the rest of the secondary running around like 3 blind mice. 

ODEEZ330's picture

Play real coverage and hit him alot. They couldn't stop our bread n butter last yr w/e that is this yr I'm expecting to succeed as well. I am a cook fan tho. Ohio boy.

O'Deez330
stark county football

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Ohio State's defensive line disrupts things a bit...
I'd like to see that.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

Yeah, but during the last series of the B1G CG, they took the pimp hand (see :57 of the following clip):

http://youtu.be/W4o4zt0wEZ0

-10 HS
lsjSnail's picture

After rewatching that game I am actually more confident going into EL. OSU Just needs a not terrible pass defense. I feel they will be more dynamic on offense. OBviously who knows how everything is going to play out but Urban will have them ready.

+3 HS
buckeyes763's picture

I just don't understand what kind of self loathing person would rewatch that game, I'm over here just trying to forget about it.

+1 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

Your team's coaching staff is watching it, bitch!

-10 HS
ITWASME's picture

We need the key master

+4 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

And then the D:

Trae Waynes

Lawrence Thomas

Shilique Calhoun

Who answers these mugs on offense?

-10 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Luke Fickell...Luke will single handily cover  every one of those bums.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-3 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

You. Wow. What a contribution! 

-10 HS
southbay's picture

C'mon, he's not that good.

+5 HS
hspbuy1's picture

Better pass coverage and a fresher DL to keep CC hurrying his passes or gazing at the stars should be expected IMO!

hspbuy1

Knarcisi's picture

Hoody must not have gotten enough during Shark Week, boys, cause we're being baited. 

+3 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

It's not me.

It's East Lansing.

-10 HS
Knarcisi's picture
+1 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Honestly I really think MSU will by far and away be our toughest gig. They are deep, and really haven't lost as much as it seems.

Cook obviously is a young QB who seemingly gets better every game he plays in. This works against since we play them midseason. If they upset Oregon in Eugene, his confidence will be sky high for the night game at home. The kid can play, and doesn't make stupid mistakes.

The running backs a receivers are all back with the exception of Bennie Fowler which isn't a huge loss. A lot of experience returning there. Langford is a solid back IMO.

The line is very good. Jack Allen and Jack Conklin are studs and on many all conference lists. Travis Jackson is very underrated as well.

The defense won't be too far from where it was. They have the guys to fit the scheme. Calhoun is a beast. Marcus Rush is a bull, the 2 DT's are new as well as the MLB. With Waynes and Drummond in the secondary and both outside backers returning I can't see a huge drop off. Probably a top 15-20 defense at its worst.

Special teams are excellent.  Dino is a great coach. I really think we are in trouble here. My biggest concern is running against that defense behind our young line minus Carlos Hyde. Kind of scary to think about. Braxton will have to be perfect. Our defense will have to be great.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

BuckNutzGasMan's picture

33 -14 win for B-rax and company

+2 HS
TheBigCat's picture

Let's not put this guy on a pedestal - maybe you should take another look at the ND game.  Same for Trevor Knight at Oklahoma. These guys played out of their minds in their final two games, and for some reason we forget that at times last year both these guys were splitting playing time with their back ups.  Let's give it a few more games before we hand these guys the heisman.

+6 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I get your point, but you have to remember most great QB's earn the job, or play their best at seasons end and carry that momentum and confidence into the following season. See Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor and Braxton Miller. I remember Vince Young playing great towards the end of his sophomore season and beating Michigan in that bowl in 2004.  It's not always the case, but usually when a young guy whom is a rsFr or Sophmore gets hot at seasons end, he is usually going to have a decent career and expectations will be high.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I remember a guy playing for Tennessee, Peyton Manning. He was "tagged" at the college level for not being able to win big games. He was getting flack for not being able to beat Florida and other big games, even though he did beat OSU in the bowl game for the '95' season.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

southbay's picture

They haven't seen a really good spread offense.   We'll see how they do against Oregon.  

Urban will unleash even more speed against their D.  Should be an interesting first half of the season.

johnblairgobucks's picture

Well stop being a chicken shit.  OSU has lost 2 games in the past 2 years ( to a Rose Bowl winner and an Orange Bowl winner).  OSU had a chance to win both of these games in the second half.  So it's not like OSU is going to get their doors blown off by Sparty.  If Braxton improves some, and the defense gets better the Buckeyes will be alright.  if Braxton regresses and the defense sucks again, the task to win becomes much more difficult.

Heck, it's a football game.  2 tough ass teams going at it for four quarters.  Let's see what happens.

+2 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

The coverage was almost impossibly bad against Sparty.  Time after time, we'd rush four guys against max protection, leaving three receivers running routes with seven defenders, seven, out there in coverage, and still a receiver would have five yards of separation when the pass came to him.  Nobody in the secondary seemed to have any clue what they were supposed to be doing, and half of the guys were just out there covering empty turf.  Still, with as awful as the defense was, if Heuerman holds his block against Denicos Allen on fourth down we could've won that game.  The point is that Connor Cook might be a good QB, but shredding our awful secondary doesn't prove it.  It remains to be seen if Ash can fix the back end of our D, but if he can, I don't like Sparty's chances against us this year.

whiskeyjuice's picture

I would like to add that Fickell promises that the LB play will be a lot better than it has been in awhile. Also, with LJ running the D-line and saying that he wants to keep D-linemen fresh will help. MSU likes to play Tressel ball and eat the clock. Rotating talented D-linemen would make one think OSU would do better there too.

+1 HS
Son of Sevenless's picture

Play defense. Oh, and I would give the ball to a running back if fourth and short should occur.

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

If the D had shown up, we wouldn't be talking about a 4th and short.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

BrutusBuckey3's picture

We're gonna pound those posers. Little brother sucks. 

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

With both teams replacing most of their Olines, I'll take Braxton's ability to escape the pressure. I think both QB will be under enormous pressure. Also if both teams take care of business the rest of the year and it is a close game it might possible to still get to the playoffs if the cards fall right.

darbnurb's picture

I don't mind going into that game with the spartans being the favorite to win.  

FROMTHE18's picture

Was a great game plan for Cook. Also helped that our defense, as many have said, well, wasn't much of a defense. IMO, if we had an average D, we win that game. It came down to horrendous coverage on big pass plays and crap tackling (the standard for OSU DB's over the last few years). 

BeijingBucks's picture

I for one think this season is not about connor cook.  Name one QB we faced last year that didn't end up looking like a Heisman candidate?  They weren't even a little scared to face us...

None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license. ~ John Milton

+6 HS
bucks_symphony's picture

As long as we score early and often we increase our chances of winning exponentially. I don't think sparty would do well playing from behind as their style of play isn't built for it. Especially if our pass defense improves drastically. Offensively we need to create some mismatches. Hopefully by the time we play them our offensive line will be in sync and give Braxton the protection that will be required. Braxton must be able to throw the ball downfield and hit some intermediate routes to open up for scrambles so Sparty isn't looking to only stop the run. All in all it will be a tough game and we can certainly win it. I have faith that we will.

WezBuck28's picture

The last time we made the trip to EL, we were nowhere near the playing level we are at now and beat a very good Spartans team on their field..sure I'm a tad bit worried, but urban will have that chip on his shoulder, and I can see that shit eating grin on his face as he turns and walks away after shaking dantonio's hand at mid field after we hand them their ass's..anyone else feel the same way?

That MSU squad finished 7-6.  They were not particularly good.  They even lost to Hoke that season.

TheShu's picture

Not worried at all. MSU had its day in the sun. Spartans will have two losses going into that game and will have come back down to Earth.

Two key points: 1) Our D will be light years better 2) We are going to be a much more diverse offense with outside SPEED that will take care of the coverage MSU lost to the NFL

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Sparty is essentially built like JT's OSU teams. They won't screw up too often and will manage the hell out of the clock with a conservative offense. If their offense bogs down they punt and rely on the D. Ohio State HAS to be efficient. I agree with what was said above, the screw-ups in the B1G CG were what doomed us, not as much what Sparty did. Remember in 2012 we won at East Lansing because we did just enough of everything right. We have to repeat that.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

we did just enough of everything right.

If you ignore the 3 turnovers....

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

True but I was more pointing out we played a better game overall in 2012 than the B1G title game. At least in 2012 the D showed up.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+1 HS

we played a better game overall in 2012

Against a 7-6 MSU team.

At least in 2012 the D showed up

Andrew Maxwell had a way of making opposing defenses look good.

Against a 7-6 MSU team.

On the road.

Andrew Maxwell had a way of making opposing defenses look good.

Connor Cook made Minnesota look like a defensive juggernaut.

MSU was terrible at home.  5 of their 6 losses were at home.  2-5 home record.   A 4 win Iowa team knocked them off at home.  It's not an impressive win.

4 of their 5 losses were by less than a TD. It wasn't the greatest victory, but it wasn't meh either. Especially when you consider that it was Ohio State's first road game in Meyer's first year.

hit_the_couch's picture

The Spartans are gunning for the NC.

Thanks! I needed a good laugh.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

lljjgg's picture

Watching the replay of the B1G CG, I realized how tall a task it will be to take down the Spartans, in EL.

Cook is a bad ass. Even more so, at home.

It's weird because I rewatched the B1G CG yesterday as well (we must be gluttons for punishment), and I had the opposite reaction. Not that I'm demeaning Cook's talent, he's a solid player (and Ohioan). But it was obvious to me that if OSU could play ANY pass defense at all, OSU would have won by 7-14. The OSU front seven owned the early parts of that game, and the MSU run game only opened up when it became clear that OSU's DBs and LBs had no idea what they were doing in pass coverage. I've never seen so many pass interference calls in an OSU game based on DBs being lost in coverage, especially early in that game. Once it became clear that the OSU DBs/LBs had no idea what they were doing in pass coverage, the entire defense began to play on their heels, and w/the running game starting to click, the passing game always clicking, the staunch OSU front seven was rendered ineffective.

I think this year if Ash coaches them up the way I believe he can, OSU will get a W. Will be a tough game, don't get me wrong, but I don't see the MSU offense taking a huge leap forward (not a lot of skill talent there), and they actually lost quite a bit on defense (so I see them being an excellent defense, but maybe a notch below last years). Meanwhile I can only see the OSU defense getting better. Despite the new OL, I have no fear with Meyer + Herman + Warinner at the helm; 3 offensive geniuses.

+2 HS
osu_killernuts's picture

Cook is solid at best sans the career game in the B1G championship game last year.  We will all get a good barometer reading after MSU's non-conference slate this year.  I hope they are undefeated going into the game with the Buckeyes.   

Our offense will be firing on all cylinders going into this game and their defense loses some key personnel.

It will come down to our defense getting off the field....I can't wait for this game and it's only mid-August

Hate is a strong word.  I hate ESecPN almost as much as I hate the whole SEC conference which is a close second to TTUN.

+1 HS