Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Pryor says he was 'wrong' for infractions

Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture
August 12, 2014 at 1:47pm
48 Comments

Really? And it only took him this long to finally say something! Someone shove a football in his mouth to shut him up.

Current article up on espn.com I ran across.

-1 HS
robobuck's picture

"You can tell Mark Emmert, he can suck my...toe"

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

Rob Reese's picture

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11343096/terrelle-pryor-apologizes-ncaa-infractions-supports-obannon-trial-result

"It was a rule, I broke it and I was wrong for that," Pryor said of his NCAA violations. "At the time, I was getting in trouble -- and I don't even call it being in trouble. I don't think helping my mother, who was in need, is being in trouble. I'll never regret that. The only thing I regret is hurting certain fans, teammates and coaches."

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+12 HS

Hey thanks, I don't know how to post stuff on this site.

-2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Well I just puked. My vacation is ruined!

-2 HS
bucks4nuts's picture

Just a few years late and a couple million dollars richer... Imagine that!

"To The House"

-2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

In my mind, I just overlooked the fact that he was an immature kid when the crap hit the fan.  I've never kicked him out of the family.  He was once, and forever-----a Buckeye STUD.

+9 HS

Figures that the Buckeyes finally beat a damn SEC team & the bowl W was taken away due to some really poor decisions.

-10 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

I watched that on TV so it definitely happened. 

"If you root for Michigan, the terrorists win."

+12 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Yessir! I remember it like it was yesterday. Beautiful day that was. Very good game.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+2 HS
bafiesta's picture

I take no joy from that game.  No one outside of Buckeye fans gives us any credit for it either.  

I had a very empty feeling after that game.  We barely limped to victory.  Nobody who watched that game came away impressed by the Buckeyes.  Most people I talked to thought we were outplayed but saved by the late int.  

Then adding in the fact that even at that time we knew 5 players would be suspended at the beginning of the next season but for the first and last time the NCAA allowed players with violations to play a game first then take the penalty.  Finally with the Tress violations and the win officially being taken away from the record books, I can't say I personally look at that game as one I take pride & joy in like I did all the other BCS victories.  

-1 HS
DaytonBuck1980's picture

Here's the link

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11343096/terrelle-pryor-a...

but I think the OP if a little off in his judgement of TP. I'm sure this isn't the first time he has said this and I've yet to see a public acknowledgement of wrongdoing from the others. Besides, in my opinion, he doesn't owe anyone an apology. He broke no law, only a dated ncaa rule that in a few years won't exist anymore. TP did a lot more fore the school than he did to hurt it. In time he'll be forgivin to the same degree as Mairice Clarett

Still not giving a damn for the whole state of Michigan. 

+6 HS
mh277907's picture

I'm confused as to why you are upset at him? I am pretty sure that he has shown that he feels badly for his mistakes and still holds OSU in high regard. He was basically crucified by the media, a plethora of OSU fans, his collegiate career was cut short, his coach with whom he still shares a very close relationship lost his job, all for what? Free tatoos? Shit, Johnny Football signs thousands of autographs for *nothing* and he is applauded for showing how antiquated and hypocritical the NCAA really is.

buckeyebobcat

+9 HS

Johnny Foosball has nothing to do w/ what TP did. And I'm pretty sure Tricky Tressel lost his job due to his cover-up of what he knew was going on at the time. Although to be fair it just wasn't TP. Don't remember most of the others involved but I think Dan 'Boom' Heron (spelling?) was one of them.

-10 HS
Rob Reese's picture

You have voiced dissent.   Pitch-forks and torches incoming.

+3 HS
mh277907's picture

I'll try to take these one by one.

Johnny Foosball has nothing to do w/ what TP did

You are correct. My point was that the narrative has drastically changed from the time of TP's transgressions to now. TP might not have been even suspended today let alone vilified the way that he was.

And I'm pretty sure Tricky Tressel lost his job due to his cover-up of what he knew was going on at the time.

Correct again. Lost his job covering up for TP and Co.

So again I ask you, why are you still so mad at TP?

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS

Just disappointed in his desisions & what it ended up costing Ohio State football.

-3 HS
clogan1032's picture

You should be disappointed in Tressel for the coverup, that is the penalty. Accepting tattoos and selling trinkets isn't what brought the hammer down. 

+2 HS
GoBucks713's picture

9Route??

-The Aristocrats!

+4 HS
DaytonBuck1980's picture

I hate to say it but race probably plays a large part in that. 

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

It is an interesting theory. Though, the landscape of college athletics has changed a whole bunch since then. I would say that that is the driving force in the differences between the two cases. I don't think it is a stretch to say race played a part.

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
michbornbuckeye's picture

You can't be serious with this attitude toward pryor. Apology or lack there of aside, he only gave everything he had to this university to win games. I have no problem with him and played his part as the good soldier by not saying anything when the ncaa came calling. Selling your own stuff happens on ebay everyday and fellow classmates probably do it without punitive actions against them. By the way, he along with the other guys involved apologized on national tv before they could play in the Sugar bowl. I miss tressel roaming the sidelines but if he would have done the correct thing when this incident occurred, this would have been a small blip on the map versus what it turned into(plus the false outrage from the media didn't help). I'm not trying to make pryor into someone that needs to have statue erected in his honor but he was 18 or 19 when he committed the infraction, I have done things far worse than what he committed and didn't have to humble myself on tv for it or get banned from a place I adore for it.

I have two favorite college teams
1. The Ohio State
2. And anyone that's playing Michigan

+8 HS
Rob Reese's picture

plus the false outrage from the media didn't help

This^

What should have/would have been a tough enough season for me to endure in 2011 both as an alum and fan, is the fabricated rage and anger on Internet message boards, media outlets and from people's @$$E$.

Earle's picture

I'm going to suggest using your other head, Zaphod.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+2 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Good thing he has two!

-The Aristocrats!

HoopHal's picture

In my opinion Tyrelle Pryor was at least in the top two  QB's OSU ever had. Remember his QB coach was Nick Siciliano . And as far as I can determine all he did was sell his own belongings. In Texas you can sign autographs for money,in Florida the school pays for your insurance policy and in Alabama your family and girl friends get jobs while Mark Emmert and the NCAA conveniently ignore those situations.

+6 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Remember his QB coach was Nick Siciliano

Who?

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

+1 HS
DaytonBuck1980's picture

To be fair, the NCAA has ruled that all schools can help offset the cost of a loss of value policy.  It's not just FSU. I would not at all be surprised if Braxton has one and that the university helped pay for it. 

BucksFan2000's picture

Who is in your 2?

Kern and Schlichter are a nice combo.  Pryor vs T. Smith seems the better debate.

rkylet83's picture

He made an error; as did the other kids.  It was stupid for them to do it, but I understand why they did and have no ethical problem.  The NCAA hit them and Coach Tressel with a giant sledgehammer and hit programs who did things far worse with kid gloves.  TP will always be a Buckeye great in my eyes and he's fine by me.  They've all paid the price.

+2 HS
Jbucks's picture

The only grudge i have against TP is that in the end Tressel lost his job and thts on Tress too dont get me wrong, but thats the end of my grudge TP was my favorite player to watch, he has done somthing we havent had since and that is a big game QB he was smart in his approach to the game always trying to improve his accuracy, he had the arm strength and athleticsm that was almost unstoppable i loved when we had 3rd downs because i was never nervous bout getting that 1st down he would glide past defenders like it was nothing or he would beat u with his arm or he would go downfield and catch the ball on trick plays, he was exciting to watch... i miss Tressels fundamentals and how our players always seemed to progress and play together i love Urbz but i think i would feel better if Tress came back as a team function coordinator or some made up title for him to be on our staff and around our guys development. FEAR THE VEST

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

+2 HS
TheShookster's picture

any grudge against Terrelle Pryor is time wasted. He gave everything he had to the team and how dare he sell his own property.

+4 HS
BuckeyeLawyer's picture

I personally found TP's quotes in reference to Ed O'Bannon saying he masqueraded as a student to be impressive (quotes are below).  I also think it reflected well on tOSU (assuming, as I am, that tOSU is not one of the schools he is referring to).  I will always be a fan of TP and am greatly appreciative for what he did in his three years.

"I won't say any school names," Pryor said. "But the schools are telling you to take certain classes that you can pass so you can play. The problem with that is, if a guy like that gets hurt and now can't get that 500 grand or up to $5 million in an NFL contract, the guy hasn't learned a lot.

"He didn't learn to be a lawyer. He didn't learn to take the things he needed to move on, and now he has to go to school again. I see it going on an awful lot and I think it needs to be addressed."

That being stated, the comments at the end of the article, as with the comments after most tOSU articles that are not printed within the borders of Ohio, makes me angry for the rest of the day.

+1 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

If he raped my sister or murdered my mother I would hold a grudge. He was an immature misguided teenager, hardly a reason to hold a grudge. Those that do are just as misguided as he was.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

This thread is absolute bullshit. The dude made a mistake when he was 19 or 20 years old. He didn't cheat, he didn't break any laws, and he's showing remorse. Get off of your frickin high horse and grow up.

+10 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Agreed, in not-so-many words.

Let the grudge(s) go, I've learned you feel better in doing so. Wouldn't mind seeing Terrelle Pryor back in Columbus sometime down the road either.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+2 HS
BuckeyeChief's picture

Wow. The whole situation sucked, but it amazes me how bad this kid was, and is treated. SMDH.

On a side note, TP, if you are reading, thank you for busting your a$$ out there for us, and for all the amazing things you did for the team...3 wins vs TTUN, a Rose Bowl and a Sugar Bowl win. THANK YOU!

"Damn I miss El Guapo"

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Amen, Chief. This kid played his tail off for 3 of my favorite years of Buckeye football. He accomplished more than most QBs in NCAA history ever will. I want nothing but the best for this kid, and if the powers that be ever wake up, he will be welcomed back to Columbus with open arms. Much love for TP.

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

I miss the days of being able to dv/uv posts. Sigh… 

+3 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

As far as I am concerned, the O'Bannon case served one good point: that the NCAA and everything it has stood for is unlawful and has been unlawful. So why is TP still vilified for what happened, especially considering he was selling his own damned belongings which was lawful to begin with? Welcome TP back so we can thank him while rubbing it in the NCAA (and college football's) collective faces.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+2 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

I go from watching the video of Csont'e York sucker-punching a guy to reading the comments on this thread. Seriously guys, what are we asking TP to be sorry for? Tattoos and trinkets? As far as I'm concerned, he is still in good graces with me. I'd rather shame Greg Oden away from the Buckeye family based on their histories.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+3 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

But can you name one thing Greg Oden has ever done besides this one instance? Sully did the same thing and that's nearly forgotten. Maurice Clarett almost killed people, and he's welcomed back. Don't even think for a second I'm condoning what Oden did, but this really shocked me. He was always a good guy.

The world isn't black and white, can't just cast away people who make mistakes, regardless of how egregious. Gotta look at the make up as a whole and see if they learn from their mistakes.

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

Tater_Schroeder's picture

Agreed. Which is why a grudge against TP is asinine when compared to the shortcomings of others that have been welcomed back. The collective Buckeye Nation applauded Jim Tressel in the Shoe when he returned in 2012, would TP not deserve the same?

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

What are you so mad about? Pryor made a mistake which would have just resulted in a five game suspension if Tressel reported it. Pryor has made it clear that he made a mistake and feels badly about what it did for a year to the OSU football program. I don't know what else you expect him to do. If anything, you should be mad at Tressel.

+1 HS