Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Rod Smith will have bigger numbers than Elliott this year

bakerjon's picture
August 11, 2014 at 3:38pm
49 Comments

Making a prediction. Sophomore slump, but good numbers for Zeke. Smith has a break out season finally. Who agrees and why?

tennbuckeye19's picture

Let's be honest; this is Rod's last shot. If things don't click for him now, they never will. In my opinion he's in the same boat as Curtis Grant. It's now or never for them cause there's younger guys who are hungry to step up and show they can play.

I wish Rod the best and hope he steps up and seizes every opportunity that's given to him, but I have trouble seeing him have bigger numbers than Elliott. Plus the way it sounds, it will be running back/playmaker by committee this season.

+3 HS
RedStorm45's picture

"Last shot" for seniors?  You don't say...

+23 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I deserve that. Feels like RedStorm just did this to me:

+13 HS
Unky Buck's picture

He's just mad because you've been online chatting with babes all day.

+9 HS
MacG91's picture

I do not agree and it is because Rod Smith's career up to this point has not shown anything but falling extremely short of high expectations that were set for him, unfairly, which is to be expected when you play for Ohio State. For appearing like a very talented player, has as for some reason not gained the respect or trust from the coaches to play and this has been going on 5 years now. 

I hope he succeeds but I don't see him having a break out year. 

Mac..yeah

+6 HS
bucks15's picture

Well said.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  Not buying into the hype again until I see something consistent worth hyping about. 

+4 HS
AJBor41's picture

I'm all for the "this is Rod's last chance" campaign, I just don't see it. That's not meant to put him down in anyway, as I think he has the talent. As for the reasoning behind it, I suppose that it's because this is a different team than last year. In my opinion, Rod is more of a between the tackles runner, and I'm not sure that we're built for that (at least not yet) this year. As most of the 11W experts have alluded to, through posted interviews and which players have been getting preseason attention, this offense is going to spread the field and attack space, and I think that EzE's game fits that bill. That said, if Hyde were gone, but Mewhort, Linsley, Norwell and Hall were still here, then I'd be on board with this post.

+3 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

I disagree. Barring injuries to either player (fingers crossed) Zeke will have more total yards and total touchdowns. With the emergence of Samual, Dontre and Marshall getting a few carries here and there, Meyer wanting to see Dunn & Ball, I just dont see Rod getting more than 50-60 touches.

+3 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

And grizzly adams had a beard! 

+2 HS
seafus26's picture

Grizzly Adams did have a beard.

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+3 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

His beard has a beard

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
apack614's picture

I agree to an extent, I think Rod is a great player and think he would've done big things during his tenure but he was completley shadowed by El Guapo for obvious reasons. Him and EzE will both do great things this year along with Samuels. I see a steady rotation to keep fresh legs in the game but I think EzE is the go to man this year.

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
awarren84's picture

Samuels? Curtis and ?

"Anything less than flagrant is just playing grab ass!"

apack614's picture

I don't quite get what you're asking brother I was referring to Smith, EzE, and Curtis Samuels

-1 HS
awarren84's picture

Ohhh Rod Smiths, Ezekiel Elliotts, and Curtis Samuels! No hard feelings...hoping this doesn't fly over your head too. 

+1 HS
apack614's picture

Curtis Samuel, I understand. Are you trying to be a deushbag or do you just come off that way?

awarren84's picture

*douchebag

sorry...couldn't help myself. 

apack614's picture

You're probably the funniest guy I've ever met.

-1 HS
awarren84's picture

Thank you!

-1 HS
vitaminB's picture

I've hopped on the Rod Smith love train every year it seems. Not this year.  If he does well, great, but I'm not going to call for it again.

+1 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

I could see Rod have more rushing TDs than Eze, but only if he becomes the go-to short yardage/goal line back. I think in that case Eze would have more rushing yards, total TDs, and carries though. 

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

As long as we run the ball consistantly with very little in the way of turnovers, it's fine with me if the stats are evenly distributed. So if one goes down, not so bad. Case in point when Hyde came out for a breather late in the season we got predictable.

Barnsey69's picture

It appears he is taking advantage of the extra playing time while EZ-E heals up, and if the injury lingers, then he may get the lion's share. However, I just get the feeling that all of those shifty play-makers (Wilson, Samuel, Marshall, etc.) will be the focus of the offense this season. 

And then of course the absolute bottom-line is just go with what works the best...if that's Smith doing a nice Hyde redux, hell yeah ride that horse!

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I don't agree, and not because Rod isn't talented (he is), but because Zeke is better. I'd like to see some packages where they have them on the field at the same time, but I would be shocked if anyone came close to Zeke's carry total outside of B-Rax.

RedStorm45's picture

Zeke has a sophomore slump...in following up his mostly mop-up duties last season?  Huh?

+5 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Will see in the very near future..

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+2 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

My thing with Smith is it never seemed like he got much of a chance in game time action. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just never thought he got to see the field much, but when he did he made plays IMO. Wisconsin run...beast, breaks 3-5 tackles, and he runs that RB wheel route to perfection.

He does, however, have a bit of a fumbling issue...but I would hope adding mass and being smarter overall would help there. Now of course I don't see practice, so maybe he just doesn't play hard enough thru the week to warrant significant playing time

Always wanted to see a FULL game out of Smith before I made any judgements

UFM_Renewal

+3 HS
saltybuck61's picture

I know everyone says that Rod Smith has fumbling problems, but it seems to me that fumbles only really plagued him during his freshman year. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe he did not fumble last year. He fumbled four times during his first two years, but it is very possible that he is over the fumbling issue. We will obviously have to wait until this season to see though.

southbay's picture

Bold prediction.  

bergy22's picture

It is downright ballsy

+1 HS
Bubba 81's picture

Rod has a much bigger NFL body although not the break away speed of Eze. I think the coaches will lean on Rod Smith when the games are tight much like they did with Carlos. I think Eze is awesome but I haven't seen him move the pile to pick up the hard yards. 

+1 HS
vitaminB's picture

You mean they will lean on Rod Smith, he of the fumbling clan?

+3 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Didn't Eddie George once have a fumbling problem?  I'm sure we definitely should have played a hot shot sophomore (with an injured wrist) over him during his senior year.

buckguyfan1's picture

We need a few quality backs for a National Champonship run.   Yes, I said it.  Eze is a special back that will be crucial to this run.  No sophomore slump here.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I think the fumble issues are a little overblown. I don't remember him fumbling last season. He didn't get many opportunities, but I have to believe that's been corrected. Aside from that, I've never noticed any other weakness in his game. Hopefully he's showing enough in practice to earn a chance. 

+3 HS
Him1stftballl8er's picture

+1

Maybe his grades were enough to break the camels back over Spring? For whatever reason I think Rod would be a good back here, but he just hasn't seen the field. I too think his ball security issues have been fixed. So it seems...

The wise shall inherit glory, but shame shall be the promotion of fools. 

Tampabuckeye85's picture

I agree with you for a few reasons. 1st thing is because of the videos we have been seeing of Rod in practice. I could be wrong but I do not recall him doing that much in years past and actually doing work. 2nd thing is even though people say his situation is similar to Grants are right in its their last year but Rod as been productive when given the chance. He didn't have a negative yardage play if I'm not mistake. The last thing I think is things have come together. He fixed the fumble problem and his grades are up, he now only has one thing to focus on and that is running hard.

+1 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

I agree with the OP. You don't just forget how to do this.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Nice run but just about everybody had a 33 yard TD run that game.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for posting 92 - great seeing Rod take it to the house. That should be his resting place an awful lot this season

buckeyeinthechi's picture

Yeah, and Grizzly Adams had a beard!

There are three different types of people in the world.....those who can count, and those who cannot.

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

How can you have a " sophomore slump" if you hardly played as a freshman??

Buckeye fan from PA

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

I think Rod might be Dunn....

chirobuck's picture

You know what....I will back up the op and agree, I think people forget how good smith looked when he got the chance, it was fumbles and off field stuff that held him back and given the fact he could have transferred and taken the easy way out but he didn't and he seems to have gotten his act together, I will commit to this bold prediction as well

^ best post ever ^

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I have said this before, but 2-3 years ago, I would have picked Rod Smith over Carlos Hyde any day.  The only issue was the fumbling problem he had in his first year or so, and he's never really been given the opportunity since then.

He has big game potential.  We'll see in the first few games of the season what he's made of as we'll want to keep EzE on light duty.  If Smith shows what he can do, we will absolutely ride him like we rode Hyde last year.

Rob Reese's picture

R. Smith is a stud and it wouldn't surprise anyone.  I for one, am in his corner and would be beside myself if he did.  Still, if I had to bet the mortgage, I think my money rides on Eze.

Grayskullsession's picture

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."