Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

TSUN's OL

toledobuckeyefanjim's picture
August 11, 2014 at 1:53pm
29 Comments

Per MGoBlog:

The alarming O-Line lineup tweeted out was at least temporarily a real thing. FWIW, that was Cole-Magnuson-Miller-Dawson/Glasgow-Braden. Kalis was not repping much with the first team. The slash-Dawson in that line above should be taken with a grain of salt—he looked another year or two away in one-on-ones.

That unit was not looking great even by early fall practice standards, so maybe they switch it up. Hoke told the assembled horde at Media Day that they hoped to settle on a top five by next week. They're still in experiment mode.

Expect a lot of screens. Screens are the way you deal with a wobbly OL.

mh277907's picture

In all fairness, Hoke said that they would not have a starting OL set for another two weeks and in that time they were going to experiment.

buckeyebobcat

Hovenaut's picture

Sounds like the assembled horde is whatever they patch together up front...

"They're still in experiment mode"

You ain't kidding.

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Maybe TTUN should just shoot fireworks off at the end of games a couple times a season. Maybe that will distract everybody from the O-line problems.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

Buckeyes certainly weren't ready for the screens last year for some reason.

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

I believe that issue has been addressed, and it's James Madisons problem now.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

"Kalis was not repping much with the first team."

+10 HS
FitzBuck's picture

There is blood on the field, and it certainly isn't his.

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+4 HS
PapaBucks's picture

Well, in his defense, he was correct. Not much of your blood gets on the field when you're on the bench.

2002osubuck's picture

With all the O-lineman they've taken the last 4 classes, you'd think they'd be pretty solid by now. They must not be very good at developing lineman. Mattison's the only reason they've won at all with Hoke as HC.

+4 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

Um, well, uh the panic is definitely starting to set in over there.  Errrrrr, Urban always says that starters are pretty much all determined by the end of spring.  The uh, er, blue coaching staff can't make up their minds and last I checked, Appy St game is 20 days away and Hoke is gonna putz around with the lineup for two more weeks?   Um, I don't think it's a lack of talent there, it's crappy coaching.

It's great to be a Buckeye folks!

+2 HS
CC's picture

Why do you write things you wouldn't want to say out loud, like "Errrrr", "Um", "uh", "er"?

It makes it very difficult to read the post.

-6 HS
js2378's picture

He's pretending to be Hoke. Not a good skill to practice, but that's a different discussion.

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Why do you write things you wouldn't want to say out loud, like "Errrrr", "Um", "uh", "er"?

It makes it very difficult to read the post.

Lighten up, Francis.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+2 HS
Jabba the Hoke's picture

They're still busy blaming RR for the bad O line.

Ahh Saturday's picture

They'll be better up the middle than last year, and worse at the tackles.  Our d-line will eat them alive.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Btw, anybody else remember when the young Mr. Kalis said one of the reasons he wanted to go to Michigan was so that he could practice against the best DL in the country?  Fun times.

+5 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Nobody can figure out the starting OL for TSUN...

+1 HS
Young_Turk's picture

I heard they have a hot new recruit that's going to start a left tackle.  Jabrill something or other.  

+2 HS
M Man's picture

Back in the days where non-conforming drivers with "hot" faces were being debated in golf equipment circles (Callaway briefly made one, the ERC II), they asked Jose Maria Olazabal if he was opposed to non-conforming drivers.  Olazabal, a notoriously poor driver (and brilliant with every other club) said, "I am opposed to all drivers."

So my question is, "Do we have to have an Offensive Line at all?"  Is there a rule about that?

Oh well, there is the future.  Instead of real players' names, I'm looking at our OL lineup as being something like "Freshman - Redshirt Freshman - Sophomore - Freshman - Redshirt Freshman."  It's an all-new offense.  Might as well have an all-new OL.

+5 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Honestly not trying to set you up here, but what's the word on Kalis?  Is he coming along, or is the dreaded "bust" word starting to be uttered?

M Man's picture

I don't know about others but I wouldn't make that judgment.  He's a RS Sophomore.  He sat for his freshman year; and played one year last year when I think the entire line concept was suspect.  He should have a secure job by now; if he doesn't, his replacement should be a stud.  I'll take either one.  A solid Kalis or a stud who makes Kalis a backup.

Kalis, despite rumors in Ohio, didn't have a terrible year last year.  He had a very uneven year, on a very unsettled interior line.  He made some progress, made some terrible plays, and toward the end of the year showed some promise.  He wasn't a star in the Spring camp.  But almost nobody on the brand-new offense was.

Rob Reese's picture

despite rumors in Ohio, didn't have a terrible year last year.  

I disagree.  I watched a lot of Big Ten football last year including Michigan.   Kalis looked pretty lost, bad and overwhelmed.  

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+1 HS
southbay's picture

Too early, IMO, to draw any conclusions about theirs or ours.  Except, ours will be better than theirs, that's about it.

Becool12's picture

Well, in all honestly, you can look at our line and point out our lack of experience and questions. Outside of Decker and Lindsay, we have one other person who has started a game at the college level. And we still don't have a starter at 2 of our 5 positions. 

STL Buckeye's picture

Pat Elflein started the Big Ten title game and I believe the Orange Bowl.

Groveport Heisman's picture

He played most of the *ichigan game and started the B1G title game and played the whole game I believe. Do not think he played in the Bowl game but he looked solid in both games he played and there should be no worries about him at all as a starter.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Davep160's picture

Didn't they recruit 25 offensive linemen over the past 3 years?  WTF

+1 HS