Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

512buckeye's picture

Penn St... Ouch

Let's party, Columbus.

BAR43's picture

I expected Penn St to get a bit more clout from ESPIN. Especially since they have a former SEC coach... I figured that alone would make them #1.

TheBadOwl's picture

I mean, so do we... and Pelini was a top assistant at LSU for a long time.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

So who ends up having a worse season, Purdue or Rutgers?

tennbuckeye19's picture

Too bad they don't play each other this year. Could've been a game for the ages.

sox33osu's picture

Close, low-scoring game most likely.

I see you're adopting the SEC mentality...

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

No, probably would be a 77-76 barnbuster that would be the best game of the year. Because football.

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Poor Purdue and Rutgers........

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

CC's picture

Michigan at 6, that's about right which is scary,

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

Lot of respect for Sparty, but their fans' comments are ridiculous. They act as if they blew OSU out of the water in the CCG. I could easily live with Sparty being #1 in the power rankings, but it isn't like they didn't lose anything to the NFL/graduation, and to be frank, they just don't have our talent. Easily the biggest deficiency of our defense last year was Everett Whithers' gameplan. Ash actually wants to use the defensive backs' athleticism and play aggressively as opposed to the weak zone BS that we ran last year. I fully expect a different looking defense altogether. Having arguably the best defensive line in the NCAA also is a huge point in our favor.

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I agree. I would put Sparty #1 for now since they won the league last season. It's not like these ranking mean diddly squat right now anyway. But I love the fact that MSU fans are upset and feel disrespected. 

Sparty fans need to realize if they want respect they'll need to earn it by consistently competing for the league title and being in the conversation nationally. If you look at the last 10 years, MSU has had 3 seasons of 10 or more wins while OSU has had 8. Last year put them on the map and we'll see where they go from there. Maybe for now they should just be happy with being a good team with a good coach and having the best program in their state.

+2 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

It probably makes sense to rank Nebraska as the top team from the West in a power poll, but I don't like them as favorites to win the division. Nebraska plays @MSU, @NW, @Wisc, @Iowa. Iowa plays @Mary and @Minn, but gets NW, Wisc, and Neb at home. Wisc plays @ NW, @Rutgers (haha), and @Iowa, but gets Maryland, Nebr, Minn at home. A good prediction for the West might be:

1. Iowa 6-2

2. Wisc 6-2

3. Nebraska 5-3

sox33osu's picture

I actually like Wisconsin to go no worse than 7-1. I think the game at Iowa will be a slugfest, but I could definitely see them pulling it out. I'm also apparently not as high on Nebraska as others are.

+1 HS
Kindell's picture

Remember, though, the Buckeyes have lost two straight (and nearly three) after 24 consecutive wins under Urban Meyer.

Whew.  Good thing he added that or I would have had no idea that ESPN wrote these rankings.  Also, that is a good thing to remember because that has so much to do with a new season and new team. 

+3 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Exactly, I mean these crazy things called facts have no business in these parts.

Let's ignore the fact they have us #1, and said this

To the team with the best quarterback, the most accomplished coach and the best talent goes the top spot.

but instead focus on the one mean thing they said....even though it's true.

+2 HS
Kindell's picture

Yikes buddy.  Just pointing out that losing 2 games and "almost" losing another last year has nothing to do with putting together Power Rankings for THIS year.  I am sure the rest of the teams on the list had their losses pointed out too.

CincyOSU's picture

Actually, it kind of does especially when we are ranked ahead of one of those teams that beat us.

Ending your previous season on a down note, or struggling, tends to stick in the minds of voters just like when teams end the year on a high note they are sometimes overrated heading into the new season.

-1 HS
funtubs's picture

If they're going to mention we almost lost 3, they should probably mention that we almost won those 3 too

+3 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Buckeyes seem to have a pretty easy crossover schedule, avoiding Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Northwestern, the top four teams --according to this list-- in the West.

+1 HS
PortlandBuckeye45's picture

How are Oregon and Alabama ranked so high? I feel the top 3 should be FSU, MSU, Auburn. Yes MSU beat us and won the B1G and the Rose Bowl.

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture
+5 HS
PortlandBuckeye45's picture

Yah fail on my part. I was reading the ESPN Rankings they brought out today for all of college footabll when i was replying to this.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice add on by espn with the (and nearly three) comment. 

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Switch the Penn St and UofM predictions, and it's probably dead on.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan