Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Question purposed on 97.1 The Fan re: LeBron 1st game vs. The Game

jeremytwoface's picture
August 8, 2014 at 12:56pm
79 Comments

So I was listening to The Fan on my lunch break and someone called in with a question. His wife works for a law firm and they were giving them the option of either going to The Game with 50 yard line tickets about 13 rows up, or 'Key Club' tickets to LeBron's first home game back with the Cavs. Key Club tickets are include an open bar and buffet and court-side seats.

I actually called in and got on air and, I may get some hate for this, but I was 100% for the Cavs game.

I'm not even a big NBA fan and I've always told myself I would do almost anything to get tickets to The Game, but how many times is the LeBron situation going to happen? This is a once and a lifetime event (hopefully) and The Game happens every year (every other year at The Shoe).

So what do you all think?

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I've never hated LeBron and I'm happy he's back, but this is The Game 100 times out of 100.

+35 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

This.

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

+1 HS
BuckGnome's picture

Are you serious, Clark?

+17 HS

I think that I wish I called in to 97.1 more often, take my humor to an international scale

+2 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Great scenario. If both OSU and MI were ranked in Top 10 its an easy choice. If not, your LBJ courtside is hard to pass up.

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I realize that The Game would be much more entertaining.... Like I said, I'm not even that big of an NBA fan.

But this is a once and a lifetime thing. How many more times will The Game happen in The Shoe? Even if it's for a chance to go to the B1G Championship... How many times do you think that's going to happen in your lifetime? I guarantee you it will be more than the amount of times LeBron plays his first game back in Cleveland.

Plus, did I mention.... FREE BEER. You can't even BUY beer at The Shoe.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+4 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

I see your logic. But, I have to go with The Game. I get that it'll be played once a year for what I can only hope is an eternity, but more is at stake in a football game. For all we know, this year could be Judgment Day 2.0. One loss on Ohio States schedule is the difference between playing for a championship or not even playing for the B1G championship. That doesn't apply in the NBA. No team has ever lost less than 10 times. LBJs homecoming won't even be a once in a lifetime thing because ESPN will talk about it nonstop for a month before and a year after.

robobuck's picture

I can't help it jeremy, its "once in a lifetime"

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

BrutusBuckey3's picture

I am a little surprised to see this actually being debated. I live in Cleveland, and lebron and I have had our...um.....differences. But I'm ready for a great Cavaliers season. I spent my hard earned $$ on cavs playoff tickets as a little kid. I'm a diehard. That being said, in no situation, on any planet, in any world, in any universe.....does another sporting event trump The Game. Especially when it's being played at the Holy Temple of Football, the Shoe. So, my advice to you, is take the tickets to see lebron, and float the OSU tickets my way....

+6 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

But it's not like you are missing The Game entirely... You'll still be able to watch it on TV like any other year.

Phillips.449's picture

Football>Basketball....That is all

+8 HS
Boxley's picture

OSU football and THE GAME >>> any other sporting event, and it's not even close.

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." President T. Roosevelt

+4 HS
KeithMC33's picture

Wow that's an interesting question! Since both are not happening the same night, i would take the LBJ return and then buy 2 tickets to the Game. they will both be roughly the same price in the end, but OSU/scUM tickets are easier to get. 

Now, if they were magically on the same night, then i have to say the Game for sure. I even live in Cleveland and would pick the game just because i don't care for basketball much. The ceremony itself will be what, 10-15 mins pre-game, then you have to watch the actual basketball game, which for me, isn't all that appealing. 

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Well let's say, for the sake of argument, that you CAN'T just go out and buy tickets to one or the other.... That would pretty much make the argument useless.

But you can still watch one or the other on TV.

+2 HS
KeithMC33's picture

Well i liked my reasoning better, it allowed me to effectively skate around any decision! hahaha

TMac's picture

The first game back thing is so minimal for me, but floor seats would be pretty sweet!

I'd pick The Game, as there will be 50ish home games to see LeBron, just this season alone, but only one last time to see Hoke get pummeled in the Shoe. 

+2 HS
GoBucksToledo's picture

Who knows, maybe LeBron shows up at The Game.

+3 HS
OSU069's picture

Sorry guys, but I would have to go with the courtside seats for the Cavs game.The game is amazing but there is one played every year. Lebron's homecoming only happens once and courtside seats for it would be pretty amazing. 

+1 HS
InTressITrust's picture

I would go with The Game since I hate the NBA.  That being said though the open bar would be very tough to pass up.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS

This is LeBron's first game back in Cleveland...this isn't his last game ever, it's not the first game after they win a championship, this is just some run of the mill game vs THE Game? Come on.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

this is just some run of the mill game

False.

You can't say that this is just some game that doesn't matter.... 

I can and I did. There will be 41 other games that will be almost identical to this one.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Besides the fact that the biggest star in the NBA and one of the biggest sports names in the whole world is coming back to his hometown to play basketball which will undoubtedly boost the economy in a struggling city and quite possibly bring the first championship to Cleveland in 5 decades and this is going to be his first game back with a ton of fanfare and celebrities at the game....

Other than that, the other 41 games will be identical.

You just proved my point, him helping the economy and helping to bring home a championship will happen every game, in fact the later in the season the more likely it will be that you watch a game that impacts the championship aspect of it. You care about fanfare? You don't think the fanfare for The Game will be there? You care about celebrities? You don't think Lebron, alumni, recruits, other celebs won't be at The Game?

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yes I think that alumni and possibly even LeBron will possibly be at the game, but I'm talking about movie stars, famous musicians, etc. And no, that stuff doesn't mean much to me.

It's fine if you don't enjoy the NBA and I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting to go to The Game more than an NBA game, but to say that every other home game for the Cavs will be exactly like the first home game is just not accurate.

You have to at least admit that whether you would prefer going to The Game or not.

+1 HS

You obviously do care about celebs since you brought it up.

Are you kidding me? I watch nearly every single Cavs game that I can. I watched every game of the finals and any game I could in the playoffs. I freaking love the NBA.

Lebron's first game back will be no different than any other. We don't even know their opponent, it could be against the freakin Kings. Your argument is based completely on "it'll be cool that Lebron is back." Yeah for the preseason, before the game, introductions, the first quarter maybe. Then it's just another game. The Game is THE Game.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah for the preseason, before the game, introductions, the first quarter maybe. Then it's just another game.

So you're saying it WON'T be identical to every other game?

Like I said, I'm not trying to argue whether it would be better to go to The Game or LeBron's Homecoming.... That's up to personal opinion. But I WILL argue that that first game will NOT be just like any other game.

The game itself will be. MAYBE the first few moments of the game. I'll concede that, yeah. But I don't have to be in Cleveland for all the preseason hype, to watch ESPN doing coverage of the game, to listen to the crowd on FSN. I couldn't imagine bragging about how I went to see Lebron come back, after he ripped the heart out of the city, to play just some game against some unknown opponent compared to going to the game with the greatest rivalry in American sports.

Like I said, if this is a different scenario where maybe UM is 2-10 or we're talking about a Cav's Finals game, then things are different. But which one do you think you're going to remember and talk about 10 years from now?

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

The game itself will be. MAYBE the first few moments of the game. I'll concede that, yeah. 

That's all I was looking for. The rest is your opinion and that's fine. 

Well alright them haha, good debate, hug it out?

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

+1 HS
OSU2002Grad's picture

Courtside sides.

I've been to plenty of Ohio State-Michigan games. Nothing like it. But the Lebron homecoming, courtside seats, would be an entirely new experience.

BuckeyeRealist13's picture

I've been to two iterations of "The Game" 2002 (Most amazing sporting experience in my life) and in 2007 (In Michigan stadium for the B1G title) . I know how amazing of an experience "The Game" is, but I can't really think of very many sporting moments that mean so much more than just sports than what will go down for the first NBA game of the season, the ONLY NBA game on tv at that time, and LBJ's return home to Cleveland agains the defending champion Spurs. I'm going Cavs. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

lol at whoever is ignorant enough to down vote this. Sorry, people have different opinions. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

jeremytwoface's picture

The first rule about down votes is that we don't talk about down votes.

+1 HS

Lips sealed 

Bucks1's picture

Seriously..."The Game with 50 yard line tickets about 13 rows up". I can't imagine any reason I would ever pass that up. If you are able to get those tickets on any given year I want to be your friend. 

"I will pound you and pound you until you quit." - Woody Hayes

+5 HS
MichiganBuckeye222's picture

sell the cavs tix for a profit, and then use the money to pay for your Tailgate at the game....problem solved.

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

+2 HS
BuckeyeSouth's picture

You blew it.

Embrace it.

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

how many times is the LeBron situation going to happen?

Apparently at least twice.  And I was there the first time. 

50 yard line tickets to the The Game, and I would feel the same way even if I wasn't at  LeBron's first game.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Well I meant how many times is he going to come home and play for the Cavs after leaving.

I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of what the chances are that you will be able to witness something like that again. The chances of being able to go to The Game again are substantially higher than the chances of being able to go to LeBron's first game back again.

Earle's picture

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Lebron is back.  And I'm sure his first game back will be circus.  People will scream their heads off, tears will be shed, etc., etc., etc.  Then they will play an NBA regular season game.

The Game is transcendent.  Ohio State will likely be playing Michigan for a berth in the B1G Championship and a shot at the inaugural College Football Playoffs.   People will scream their heads off.  (Michigan) tears will be shed.  It will be a circus.  

Give me The Game ten times out of ten.  Make it Game 7 of the NBA Finals and then I'll seriously think about it.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+3 HS
AngryWoody's picture

The Game. No question. Lebron is going to be playing in Cleveland a lot, UM only comes to Columbus once every two years. Think about this, for an average person you're only going to get about 30 chances to see The Game in Columbus in your entire lifetime. Lebron will play 50 or so home games in a single year with the Cavs. You will have more chances to see Lebron in a single year than you will have to see The Game played in the Shoe in your entire life.

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

The Game, hands down. If LeBron's first game back was to clinch a championship, I'd go. Aside from the hoopla surrounding Lebron, it's just another game.  

+2 HS
Phoenix824's picture

So as I read this the question is "Do I want 50 yard line seats to "The Game"?      Why is this question even being asked?

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Your lounge card is now revoked.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
buckz4evr's picture

Cavs game.  It is going to be INSANE!  The only thing that would change my mind on this if both OSU and you know who are playing for something other than bowl games

BierStube's picture

This is a big week for J2F .. First he is on the today show wearing a Yankee hat ... next he is on 97.1 the fan .. what next .. Conan?

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

jeremytwoface's picture

I didn't even know about The Today Show.......

I gotta stop sleep driving-to-NYC-to-be-on-The-Today-Show.

kmp10's picture

I actually called in and got on air and, I may get some hate for this, but I was 100% for the Cavs game.

I think you've logged too many hours in the Key Club open bar… Football>>>>>>>>>>basketball. The Game>>>>>>>>>>>any basketball game in the history of life… LeBron or not.

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I'm with you, Jeremy.  I'm taking those Key Club seats.  Can't pass up the bar and buffet.  And then I'll buy tickets to The Game off of my aunt...which will not be in row 13 on the 50 yard line, but who gives a shit because I'll be there.

If the option was off the table to buy The Game tickets from my aunt (who thanks to her I've been able to go to the last 6 versions of The Game in Columbus), then I'd take The Game tickets.

Class of 2010.

Gametime's picture

Yo, I heard you on Bishop & Rothman man, and I gotta say I completely agree with you.

LeBron & Ohio State are Ohio's two best early shots at a championship (I also believe the Browns will be VERY good on defense and have a little Manziel magic on offense in years to come. (I couldn't imagine what A&M would've been like if they had a Florida St. type of defense! Scary! ...or us for that matter...*ahem*)

To be able to say, "I was there when LeBron came home," in Key Club seats rubbing elbows with a lot of athletes & celebs who'd be in the building, while watching one of the most recognizable athletes since Tiger & MJ begins his quest to END OHIO'S MAJOR PRO SPORTS DROUGHT...and no fans deserve it more than the fans of those teams in those 216/330 area codes IMHO.

If I KNEW I was giving up The Game to go, it would effect me at a various rate. Is it my ideal version of The Game or is it the game status quo (which is already amazing in itself)?

My Ideal version of the game would be much like the 2006 edition. A crisp fall like 72° in the early evening, readying for a 7pm kickoff at the Shoe called by Herbie & BRAD NESSLER (yes like NCAA 14, and also for my DVR later - don't judge me); OSU in the Scarlet RIVALRY uniforms - and for the first time ever - Michigan in their BLUE jerseys. Ohio State #2, Michigan #1 in the country.

-sigh- That circumstance or something very similar, I'd have no choice but to choose The Game.

But at regular face value, LeBron coming home only happens as you said "hopefully once" LOL.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+1 HS
Rocket Man's picture

The Game, the Game, a thousand times the Game.

I didn't go to engineering school to be a 'people person'

+3 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

I'd probably go with LeBron if it is just me.  I've been to The Game and it was during the 02 season.  Hard to top that.   Although, I've also seen Lebron play when he was with the Heat vs. Rockets but this would be something else altogether.

If I can bring my kids, I'd probably chose The Game.

Allow me to make this one a bit tougher.  The Game or Game 7 (or any potentially series ending Finals Game) that brings Cleveland's first championship since '64.

-1 HS
BuckNation's picture

Take the courtside Cavs tix, sell them to a fan willing to pay way too much for a chance to sit courtside to Lebron's first game back, and then buy tix to The Game this year and in 2016. :)

cdub4's picture

I would vote for the Cavs. I went to OSU but am also a native Clevelander. I have been to the game in 2002, 2006 and 2008. As much as I love my Buckeyes LeBron's first home game back would be hard to pass up, unless it was another 2006 scenario.

-1 HS
J.Mo's picture

I'd take the Cavs tickets.Taking the Cavs tickets doesn't mean you don't go to the Game, it just means you buy your own tickets and risk not sitting at the 50. I've sat in plenty different sections of the 'Shoe and sitting on the 50 doesn't make The Game any better. And being in AA isn't so great either - I much rather prefer A Deck and C Deck to AA deck.

I'd only take the Game tickets if it included sideline passes.It's about experience and the experience for court side seats vs. general admission seats has a bigger difference than sitting AA deck on the 50 vs sitting in another section. Plus there are less courtside seats available than there are 50 yard line seats.

Squirrel Master's picture

Sorry but I choose The Game. Maybe the first game of the finals.
I did pause for the open bar and food, but 50 yard line will probably never happen for me so I'm taking that.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
BuckToAsT's picture

The Game.  Even if scUM has a crappy season and we are heavily favored, id still choose the Game.  It's fun to watch the Buckeyes kick those turds while they're down.  (Though it's equally as fun to beat them when they're enjoying success.)

It's not like Lebron is coming out of retirement after attempting to play professional baseball.  While excited about the Cavs, I just can't even compare the two.

And who needs to get beer AT the Game when you can down 23 cans on Natty in the P-lot right before kickoff??

Knarcisi's picture

I understand the scenario, the excitement with him coming back, but The Game.

Now, give me game 6 of the Finals to close it out at home?  That would be hard to pass up. In fact, just put me somewhere near the city of Cleveland. That place would be a week long party. 

Furious George 27's picture

The Game because more is at stake. That's great that LeBron is back but the season is not wrecked if the Cavs lose game 1.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

TheAFBuckeye's picture

Braxton's last home game.  Can't pass that up. This season could put him at the top of the Buckeye record books not to mention anything else that this season may hold. I've been to The Game on multiple occasions and I definitely wouldn't turn this one down either.  I can't wait for this season to start. I hope it's something special. Go Bucks!!

Let's Go BUCKEYES!!!!!

logamaniac's picture

I think an important aspect in this scenario is would I be allowed to go balls out at the open bar with no threats of repercussion from either the wife or her employers?  because then its easy i take a buddy and we get white girl wasted.  

Im one of the few that enjoys the occasional game in the shoe dependent on my group but would be more than happy either at home or involved with the VC/LB/ORI roamers

also live-in person NBA still beats live Football as far as constant action.  not so much on TV

Jabba1977's picture

Definitely,THE GAME!!!

SECHATER77

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Make it game 7 of finals and ill have to go w. Lebron

danbrown7665's picture

LeBron's first game back for me and its not close. Maybe if TTUN was actually good but the reality is that they are not.

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

-2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

The Game.  I love LeBron and couldn't be happier that the king has returned, but The Game is more than just a spectacle, a curiosity or overblown media hype.  The Game is etched into the fiber of who we are as passionate, rabid Buckeye fans.

It can't be replicated.

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

The Game, always.

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

I'm not a Cavs/NBA fan, so the answer for me is easy. The Game.  However, what if the choice was between the NC for tOSU or a home game 7 NBA Finals for the Cavs?

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Not a hard choice at all. Ohio State wins every time.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS

The city of Cleveland needs a championship more than I think any place in the world. Would have to be there in Cleveland for the most amazing championship celebration in the history of sports. 

kevdale86's picture

The Game. I can't even believe this is being debated. A few years ago, Lebron was the most hated person in that part of Ohio. Now everyone is kissing his butt again. My love for OSU has never wavered, through all the good and bad. Lebron's first game won't win them the Division Title, Eastern Conference Title or NBA Championship. It's just that, one game. But, The Game has always been The Game, hence the name.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

So you would choose to go to an event in a sport you claim not to care about over one that you state will be far more exciting, for the chance to see an extra few minutes of an overboard NBA introduction because 'it will only happen once'.

Got it.

-1 HS
BeatTTUN's picture

You know what Key club seats do not include?

If you guessed 50yard line seats to the Game you are correct.

LeBron will play 41 home games in a season

Ohio State plays TTUN once a year and every other year at Home.

There is no substitute for The Game, not even the birth of a child is more important because your child will instinctively know to stay in the womb until the Game is over.

Go Buckeyes

Beat Michigan

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan

+3 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

I was at the Game in 2002, which was probably the 2nd best one to attend in the last 40-50 years.

LeBron will only have 1 first game back. So for me, I would choose the Cavs.

However, this is an Ohio State website, so I'd figure that vast majority would pick the Game.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Well I originally answered Lebrons first game but now I'm not sure because this year the game will be Braxton's final home game. I would probably still go with Lebron but it would be close. 

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

All you had to say was tickets to The Game, but to throw in 50 yard line seats, 13 rows up. I would take The Game. I have been to basketball games before and usually don't have a problem getting seats close to the court. Being LeBron's first game back, I'm sure the place will be packed. But I have never been able to get 50 yard line seats for The Game. Plus, we are in a special time right now. Years from now people will be saying "Remember that coach Tressel and how he owned *ichigan?" and "Remember that after he was removed, a guy named Urban came in and continued that run against TTUN?". Hopefully, this also leads to talks of "Remember that span of several National Titles?".

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

Seattle Linga's picture

I have sat up close at the Cavs game with Lebron on hand however I have even been to The Game - no doubt which one I would take