Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Number One Defense In The Country?

Silver Bullet 10's picture
August 8, 2014 at 6:21am
36 Comments
b_pbucksfans's picture

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here....

+17 HS
1stYrBuckIClub's picture

I stopped reading when I got to Bleacher Report...but it's the thought that counts. 

+13 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

But you haven't really seen our offense, though.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

And I'm still concerned about Miller staying healthy or if he is even healthy right now (lots of speculation going on even though Coaches and Miller claim he is 100%)

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

osu407's picture

An Urban Meyer Ohio State defense is unlikely to rank extremely high in statistics, even if they are very very good, simply because the offense scores so quickly compared to many others that they have less rest between and more drives to stop. 

+5 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Quoting Bleacher Report for a sports story, is like quoting The Enquirer for legislation news.

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

In other news Hillary Clinton's alien baby has proposed the UFO friendship pact. 

+2 HS
irishfury's picture

You can say that but those three guys knew more about or team then any big site.  The mentioned players you would never here on espn and other places.  Bringing up Eli Apple and others.

whiskeyjuice's picture

Bleacher report says the same thing for every school, well almost every school.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
ShoeHolder's picture

Very possibly the best defensive line in the country. From line to total defense may be a bit of a stretch. It's a nice thought though. 

"Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the Earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

robobuck's picture

Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

OSUBias's picture

Let's not get too greedy. Cutting our pass defense ranking in half probably gets us to the NC game last year. Number 1? Hell I'll take top 20 at this point. 

Shitter's full

+2 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Bleacher report I have no use for. I hope this defense plays like a top 20 defense, if so then a National Title is possible.

+1 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

News flash to the rest of 11W that apparently don't already realize this. If you cite Bleacher Report when starting a new thread you are not going to get a lot of credibility around these parts. 

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

Gametime's picture

Bleacher Report is the sports equivalent of Wikipedia.

It's more credible than it's given credit for and there are some really good writers on there and a bunch of vague homerism too.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+1 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

1 good writer for the waves and waves of SEC homers.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+1 HS
VarsityClubMD's picture

Vague Homerism...

Dot this

+5 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Couple problems with B/R;

• It's business model is to reel in the clicks by whatever means necessary, usually with hyperbolic titles to "stories"; "WHY JOE MONTANA IS MOST OVERRATED QB EVER", "WHY NICK SABAN WILL LEAVE ALABAMA AFTER THIS SEASON", "WHY MICKEY MANTLE IS NOT ONE OF THE ALL-TIME TOP 50 YANKEES". "WHY WALLA WALLA WASHINGTON SCHOOL OF NURSING WILL WIN THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP"
  • No care whatsoever for accuracy of facts, in fact, I dare say they often make them up as they go along to suit whatever case they're trying to make, assuming the reader will not know better or cross check.
  • Bloggers and hacks who couldn't pass a high-school composition or literature class

+3 HS
BAR43's picture

Even though Navy is the first game and there will be some rust to knock off, it will still be a very telling game for the season. The Navy offense is great at making sure the defense plays fundamental football and capitalizes on mistakes and breakdowns (gotta love the option). It will be quite interesting to see how much the defense has focused on responsibilities and fundamentals during off season and what all the took away from last year's down falls. Although the secondary will not be as tested in the air, we will be able to see their physicality and ability to run support. We will have to wait for later games to see how we have improved in the pass defense, but first and foremost we need to make sure our front 7 are fundamentally sound in tackling and would love to see some more gang tackles, something that I feel has been lacking the past couple years. We don't need on stud like Shazier, we need an entire unit making tackles.

+2 HS
cjmgobucks's picture

Bar, I think you may have hit the nail on the head: fundamental tackling...  We have placed so much emphasis this past off-season on the pass coverage woes that we have forgotten about the defense's suspect tackling ability.  I will submit last season was an improvement over 2012's pitiful tackling but I worry that it may rear its ugly head again and prove to be a bit of an Achilles heal...Time will tell, I guess...

"When I look in the mirror, I want to take a swing at me."

Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

I'm OK with them being 25% correct and OSU having a top 25 pass defense. If that happens OSU will have a good run at the NC.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

This could be a perfect storm coming together by the end of the year.

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

I don't think we're elite enough in the back end (lol). Look at our top defenses in the past, there were threats to awards and All Americans scattered throughout the defense.  Our LB and DB have no one who has been proven to be elite (yet). I think top 5 is outlandish, top 25 is going to happen.

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

BAR43's picture

I think D. Grant is very underrated and will have a great season. Additionally I see Perry breaking through as well. I am fine without the preseason hype, id rather have sleepers who emerge during the season, and I think we have a few.

The Rill Dill's picture

Show me, don't tell me.

305Buck's picture

Not this year, but if our back 7 makes significant progress this year, and next year, then I believe we will have a top 10 defense in in 2015-2016 season.

Fly Patterns's picture

What was the total defensive rank last year?

HotSauceCommittee's picture

84th total defense; 47th yds per game (377).

Sad thing was until the last two games we were ranked in the Top 30 then we got exposed by Sparty and Clemson.

Rob Reese's picture

I would even suggest UofM exposed them the weeks prior to those losses.

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

I think a top 20 D in Ash's first year is a realistic goal. It means the pass D improved enough. A top 5 D in his 2nd year is also realistic. It takes time to build a D like that even for OSU.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

whiskeyjuice's picture

Example, it took Meyer 2 years to have a D-line full of 1st round potential studs.

+1 HS
Brutus1972's picture

Keeping all 11 players for 2 years is also a plus and very possible for the next 2 years especially if we are able to pay for our players insurance policies. Just sayin

bucks4nuts's picture

Bleacher Report.... I can submit an article there 

"To The House"

+1 HS