Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Jeff Greene update?

Travis's picture
August 6, 2014 at 1:16pm
32 Comments

How's he doing?

With his size he could be unbelievable for us.

So any updates on this guy?

InTressITrust's picture

May want to put a question mark on your form title.  I was hoping for an update while clicking on this link.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+10 HS
Travis's picture

My bad

They need a 2 to tie, a 3 to win it; Sylvester for threeeee... OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH OHHHHHHHHHHH WITH FIVE POINT ONE TO GO!!!

+3 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

nope.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

MacG91's picture

Im guessing he isn't tearing it up or we would have heard the OSU staff or the 11W staff talk about him. 

Mac..yeah

+3 HS
BuckeyeOfTheTiger's picture

secret weapon?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

Man.. was hoping to hear something.

mtrotb's picture

I know everyone has their favorite wide out, but we need to do the math as between the 3 wide out positions only 6 will see any meaningful playing time.  Dontre is the only sure starter with Jalin backing him up.  Devin Smith will probably start so his backup and the other starter and backup is coming from Corey Smith, Thomas, Clark, Greene, and Spencer.  Campbell, Brown and McLaurin will more than likely redshirt.  Epitropolous if he returned will never play.

mtrotb

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

Don't forget Johnnie Dixon, he is sure to get some minutes this fall. 

Mac..yeah

+2 HS
mtrotb's picture

My bad, sorry.  He will probably be one of the backups to Smith or whomever other starter is.  Maybe he will start??

mtrotb

Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

Saying "Dontre is the only sure starter" is laughable.

Devin Smith, Evan Spencer, and Corey Smith are more likely to "start" than Dontre.  I equally expect Michael Thomas to see as much time as Dontre Wilson this year.  Wilson will see his fair share of snaps, but PLEASE PEOPLE... slow down the hype on Wilson and Samuel.  It's unreal.

-4 HS
CincyOSU's picture

I agree with toning down the hype on Samuel...he hasn't played a snap yet. But that fact you think Thomas is in line to see as many snaps as Wilson, or that Corey Smith(another player who has yet to play for OSU) is more likely to start than Wilson, is just as laughable. Have you not listened to anything Meyer has said about Wilson this year? He's bigger, smarter, and more mature...why on earth would people tone down their hype on a guy who showed flashes of brilliance last year while being undersized and only understanding a small portion of the playbook? Wilson's potential far outweighs that of any other WR we have on the roster...he deserves the hype.

+2 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

Wilson is almost certainly starting at H-B. Unless you expect Jalin Marshall who has never seen the field to start over him, which would go against every early depth chart and what Meyer has said. I think some of the hype is unwarranted from Samuel(people saying we can expect him to produce more than Wilson last season, when Wilson was VERY productive for a FR all-purpose type), but Wilson has already had a productive efficient year, and every sign points to him improving. Championing a player who have barely seen the field(CM) or a player who was much less effective in most ways last season ON THE FIELD(Spencer) is completely illogical.

ToetotheFace's picture

In fact, take it straight from the coach:

“He’s a starting H,” Meyer said Tuesday. “He took (wide receiver Corey) ‘Philly’ Brown’s spot, so he’s a full-time receiver. We did take him today and put him in some backfield action. We use that term, (Seattle Seahawks wide receiver) Percy Harvin, very loosely, because there’s only probably one of him. But we’d like (it if) that hybrid position is really a key guy if we can do that … by far, Dontre’s the No. 1 spot.

“He’s the starting H at Ohio State.”

+2 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

I believe scarlet was just saying that those guys were sure to start at WR and that an H back might not even be on the field sometimes. If we start the game in a 31 set (3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB), Dontre technically will not be starting

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

ToetotheFace's picture

Only if you consider Philly Brown not to have been starting last season - H-B sees enough snaps that it is definitely starting, especially considering many of Urban's best non-RB/QB offensive players have played at the position(Harvin, Brown, etc.)

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I think it's a safe bet that Dontrae will score the first TD this year, with a pass or run and don't forget he is the starting returner (according to Meyer).

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
bucksk1n's picture

I think you might be the one that is a little out of touch.  The H-Back position is a key part of Urban's offense and is different than the wide receiver role.  Last year Dontre wasn't ready to do everything so Philly played that spot when Dontre wasn't in (which is one of the reasons he had so many catches).  This year the role will be split between Dontre, Jalin Marshall, and Dixon.  I don't know if Dontre is as good as the hype but one of those three will be a breakout star this year due to the way Coach Meyer's offense works.

At wideout you will see Devin Smith start with lots of subbing from the other three you mentioned but that position has little to do with Dontre Wilson's playing time.  While it is possible the team uses 3 wide receiver sets I just don't see it with when they have multiple talented H-backs.

ToetotheFace's picture

"by far, Dontre’s the No. 1 spot."......."He's the staring H at Ohio State"

I think Dontre is going to take the wide majority of the snaps at H, given the history of how much Urban's past starters there were used and what Urban has said about Dontre's improvement(been very praising of it).

+1 HS
Brandon26841's picture

I agree. WR is pretty log-jammed this year. IMO:

X - D. Smith, C. Smith, 

Z - Spencer / Thomas, Dixon / Clarke

H - Wilson, Marshall 

Those are really the only ones I see getting much playing time, and some of these guys won't even play very much if I had to guess. I think Campbell, Brown, and McLaurin definitely redshirt as well. Well, i'd be surprised if they didn't. I don't know where Greene or Epitropolous fit in. 

BroJim's picture

Greene update. . . He's still tall.

I season my simple food with hunger

+6 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

+5 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

+1 for Jim Bollman footage from Big Ten Media Days

saluki2007's picture

And he still has mad hops

+2 HS
3GB's picture

From what I remember hearing about the first practices, he was supposedly practicing with the Freshmen/young players "early" group on Monday

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

With a frame like Greene's and a need for TE help, I wonder if there is a reason we haven't thought about having Mick throw 20 lbs on him and make the move. With his athleticism you would think he could be a beast as a TE if he can block. I'm assuming he is a solid blocker coming from Georgia Tech. If I were in his shoes and I saw the depth and talent we have at WR, I would consider it. Probably his best shot at getting into the league as well.Sub 4.6 40 time on a 6'5'' 240+ lb frame with his leaping ability=Jimmy Graham?

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+2 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

Its not easy being Greene apparently.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+6 HS
Becool12's picture

To be honest, I have seen Greene play in person and I am not too impressed. He has great size but that isn't enough to really make have an impact (Ex: TY Williams). Tight end may be an option but he has a very thin and wiry frame so it will be hard to see him packing on another 20-40 lbs to make that transition. 

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

I think there is a reason Urban/Braxton almost never mention him when talking about WRs.

DIRECTIONER

southbay's picture

I think Jeff Greene will be an asset and who knows he may get his licks in just when we need a clutch first down or td.  But I expect Michael Thomas to be more of a go to guy who can catch balls in traffic.  I don't care, just give me one guy who can be there (as in, get open) when Braxton has an opposing lineman up his ass and needs to get some yardage...

hit_the_couch's picture

His 1 year NCAA sit out period is over, correct?

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Yep.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

there is a lot of competition with the WR group.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs