Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Day 1 Updates

whiskeyjuice's picture
August 4, 2014 at 6:19pm
20 Comments

Just a couple of things I noticed on Twitter from Kyle Rowland. Sam Hubbard has moved back to LB and ex-Texas QB, Major Applewhite was working with OSU's offense as he is a friend of Urban. 

Anybody hear anything else?

whiskeyjuice's picture

Urban was shouting at the team during drills and was quoted as saying "When the foot hits the ball on Aug. 30th, we will be the best team in America".

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+8 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Whisky well done - where did you hear that?

WhySoSerious's picture

I'm for one who thinks Sam needs to play defense. was he wearing number 4?

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Not sure why he isn't wearing 6. That was his HS number and no one on defense wears it.

Speaking of numbers, does anyone else think we need to convince a certain monster from Georgia to wear #36??

Cousineau, Marek, Spielman, Rolle..... McMillan.   Sounds good to me!

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

route4buckeye's picture

Trey Johnson is from Georgia and wears #36 iirc.

+2 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

woops. My bad.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

whiskeyjuice's picture

Not sure what jersey number he had. Trying to find any footage of today's practice.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

Groveport Heisman's picture

Count me as one of the excited people who is very  happy Sam Hubbard is back on defense. He has so much promise on that side of the ball.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

I am with you on this one.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

interesting path for Applewhite's career, was at Alabama as OC for Saban's first year there and then Texas and now looking for work. Guy appears to be knowledgeable so having him share some of that with the players (if allowed) or even just talking over with our coaches can only be a positive thing, if he was in fact there today.  

whiskeyjuice's picture

Kyle Rowland changed his tweet. He says now that Applewhite was an observer today and NOT working with the offense.

Groveport Heisman's picture

I'm sure there is a minor violation in there somewhere they want to steer clear of.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

dubjayfootball90's picture

Have to agree with that. Gotta stay in the clear.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
buckeyeboy31's picture

not a bad idea for him to be at camp and to learn some things, seeing as Tom Herman unfortunately might not be here next year

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Apparently they were blaring "Born in the USA" while Cameron Johnston, who is from Austrailia, was kicking. Lol, I guessed it worked because he shanked a punt. Again, this is coming from Tweets by Kyle Rowland.

Hovenaut's picture

No problem hearing Hubbard is back on D, how does this impact TE depth...if at all? (I'm confident in JH, Vannett and Marcus Baugh, btw)

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

FROMTHE18's picture

the move can't be coincidence, they must believe that Baugh will be a viable option at TE this year if Vannett or Heuerman were to have any issues. 

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Agreed...I think it sounds like Baugh is stepping up.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

labuck's picture

I think it is coincidence because they signed a tight end at FNL. If they struck out on TEs this year then they needed him for depth since Josh is coming in though they feel they do not need to bring him over to offense.

+1 HS
Texasbucksfan's picture

I love to hear that Major Applewhite is there.  I love that kid.  When he played at Texas, he was never the biggest or the fastest or had the biggest arm, but he was always the hardest worker and he was a WINNER.  His teams would follow him through hell and back.   He got screwed when Mack Brown came to Texas and brought his new prized recruit Chris Simms.   Major was a excellent QB for Texas but Mack sat him to play his boy, who spit the bit (no surprise, right???).   Mack was smart enough to allow Major to start in the Holiday Bowl in his senior year and he won that game with a heroic effort.  I remember the reporter after the game asking about how he did it and he gave all of the credit to the rest of the team.   He is a great kid.   Urban recognizes talent and character.