Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Top college football gigs, according to Clay Travis.

Hovenaut's picture
August 4, 2014 at 12:08pm
33 Comments
brandonbauer87's picture

Clay Travis proves, yet again, that he's an idiot. Put down that Florida hat for a few seconds, Clay. Without even talking about the good guys, Bama or Texas should be one. 

funtubs's picture

Doesn't matter; Beat Michigan

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Wait, a whole Travis article and no mention of Meyer? 

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Mike Bianchi will make up for that.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
bucks4nuts's picture

he has blocked me on twitter... I am a proud, proud person

"To The House"

+1 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

If Florida were the number one coaching destination, their two best coaches wouldn't have left the job. If Urban saw it as a destination job, he wouldn't have put in outs to ND, OSU, and Michigan in his contract. 

I don't believe a coach has left OSU for another job (willfully) since Paul Brown. 

+6 HS
mh277907's picture

If Florida were the number one coaching destination, their two best coaches wouldn't have left the job. If Urban saw it as a destination job, he wouldn't have put in outs to ND, OSU, and Michigan in his contract. 

That could just be a matter of personal preference for Urban and not necessarily an indication that Florida is not a destination job.

buckeyebobcat

+3 HS
Rob Reese's picture

If Florida were the number one coaching destination, their two best coaches wouldn't have left the job. 

This.  Not one of their best coaches, which could then be considered an anomaly, but both. You just won the Internet.

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+4 HS
rock flag and eagle's picture

I have heard countless fans (mainly OSU but some others too) justify Urban Meyer's departure from Florida as a reasonable way for him to focus on his health.  After reading the 11w response to the Shelley Meyer piece, I believe it is certainly the general consensus on this board is that Meyer did nothing wrong leaving Florida after his health scares.  Now that the other argument suits this board (Meyer left because it wasn't a destination, he left for his dream job) people are quick to embrace it.  But, remember, if he left because Florida wasn't a destination, then that means his health excuses were merely excuses.  Why throw Meyer and his health claims under the bus?  Just to disagree with Clay Travis?  Just because Meyer had a bit of a breakdown doesn't mean Florida isn't one of the top jobs in the nation.

+3 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Why throw Meyer and his health claims under the bus?  

No one did.  I believed the man then, and I believe the man now.  

I also believe that after a year or two off due to said heath concerns and feeling safe to return after lifestyle changes are in place, OSU would be one of the more desirable places in the nation to make that decision a little easier.  I do not, on the other hand, believe the attraction of the Gainesville job would have the same weight as the Columbus one when making a tough call as to returning to the pressures of the game.  Hence my disagreement with the author's assertion of Gainesville being number 1.  

Just because Meyer had a bit of a breakdown doesn't mean Florida isn't one of the top jobs in the nation.

I didnt say it wasn't.  Top 10 or 15, sure.  Number 1?  No chance.  None.  In my humble opinion, of course.

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

whiskeyjuice's picture

What some people don't realize is that he was still growing as a coach. He had success at all the previous places that he coached at but not until Florida did he start winning NC's. Success and life after winning those type of big caliber games was new to him. I think for Buckeye Nation, it was great timing because now Urb knows the feeling of winning the NC game and the pressures it comes with. That mixed with the health issue and the family fall out thing has strengthened Urb in that he has found a way to balance all of that.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

jeremytwoface's picture

...according to Clay Travis

That's all I needed to read. 

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+7 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I gave him a preseason look, nothing more.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

CTBuckeye's picture

Arkansas at #22?  Salary aside, I can't see many coaches in other big programs leaving their school to take a job there.

His other statement just made me laugh: "Here's a stat that will blow your mind: In the BCS era Ohio State was the school that was the farthest north to win a title."  That would only blow my mind if I didn't have a basic sense of US geography - of the 64 teams in the big 5 conferences, only 4 teams that are clearly North of Columbus have a chance at a national championship - Oregon, MSU, TSUN, and Wisconsin.

Syracuse or Washington State not playing for a national championship during the BCS era doesn't blow my mind.

"Because we couldn't go for three"

+2 HS
airbuckeye's picture

If you ask me the man needs to but the crack pipe down either that or get is nose out of his wife's ass crack. Half those team's are a Fing joke and are nothing more than a stepping stone. How the hell can he set behind his computer and believe half the shit he is typing.

As much has i hate NDshame to put them at 21 is the sign of a brainless buffon.

+1 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Thanks for the laughs.  It was needed for a Monday.

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

clicking on the link gives him page views, which keeps him employed. Stop helping the idiot, guys. 

+3 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

There are five states -- Texas, Florida, California, Georgia and Ohio -- where you can win a national championship without recruiting players from outside the state's borders. 

And:

Ohio State has to poach players from the South in order to remain competitive on a national stage. 

How can you contradict yourself a paragraph apart and get paid to do it? 

How Firm Thy Friendship

+9 HS
RenegadeBuckeye's picture

Yeah... UF doesn't need to leave the state to get players (cough) Jerome Baker.

mh277907's picture

I really don't think this is all that bad of a list. Washington is an interesting pick but other than that I think his rankings are pretty fair.

buckeyebobcat

+2 HS
hodge's picture

Florida at #1? Georgia at #3?

+4 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Florida you can make an argument for, sort of. It's a bad argument that would lose to anyone who knows anything but you could put up a fight.

Georgia on the other hand at 3 is a joke. No sane person could put them in the same zip code as the likes of OSU, Bama, Texas, USC, and that caliber of school in this argument. They're in the SEC, and it's sunny that's all they've got. Sure a bunch of talent comes out of Georgia, but it doesn't go to UGA. 

hodge's picture

Florida is smack-dab in the middle of the most fertile recruiting ground in the country, and that's just about it.  The school doesn't have tradition or an established booster base that's willing to throw money at anything that's perceived to be "lacking", so they'll always be a step behind the truly national programs like Texas, Alabama, USC, Ohio State, and Michigan.

+1 HS
ECSAGESTER's picture

Objectively speaking, if I'm a mercenary with no allegiance to any program, I'm picking Texas as the best gig and it's not even that close. All the perks that are mentioned with Florida, but with an actual winning tradition (not one that's immediately tied to Spurrier or Urban). And there is nobody that can convince me Gainesville is even in the same breath as Austin, as far as cities to live in goes. 

+4 HS
brumon's picture

I didn't want to click the link to give him page views. Where did he put OSU?

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

No worries.

OSU sixth.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

For those who didn't bother clicking on the link, wise choice, and here is Travis' criteria for ranking head coaching positions:

Essentially you're analyzing a variety of factors -- fan support, facilities, history, recruiting footprints and conference strength -- all rolled into one equation.

Including "conference strength" as part of his criteria is dubious and determines in advance what his list will look like.  He also includes "history" only nominally and describes it as a product of athletic department revenues.

Lists like these are hopelessly subjective, but if there's one criteria that I think should matter it's how frequently a coach leaves one university for another.  There are only a handful of universities where the coach never seems to leave for another job.  Ohio State is one of them.  Florida is not.  Just ask Urban.

+1 HS
My buck's picture

I also love how he states that Florida State is an SEC shadow team. If anything, the SEC copied Bobby Bowden's formula for success... speed. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I may be, but Bowden's the first coach I recall really emphasizing speed, speed, speed in the late 80's/early 90's.  Drives me out of my mind that all of the "analysts" & "experts" act like the SEC only started that phenomenon recently.  I still shiver when I think of the '97 Sugar Bowl(think that's right). 

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Bowden perfected the formula...Schellenberger, Johnson and Erickson built up/utilized speed/athleticism at The U.

Anyhoo...it wasn't SEC speed from the get.

hodge's picture

Besides, prior to the arrival of Sumlin and Malzahn, the last SEC team to really dominate the league (and the nation) with an offense that took advantage of that speed and athleticism was Urban Meyer's Florida Gators.  Alabama and LSU, the two most dominant SEC teams to emerge after Meyer's flameout, run traditional, pro-style offenses.

+1 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

SEC speed is so fast that it arrived before they did.

I don't even understand what I just said.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Glad I din't click on the link and waste time that could have been spent watching OSU hype videos.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
Barnsey69's picture

It just irritates me to no end that Travis gets paid for writing crap...surely I can do the same...

I will now begin my journalism career in earnest.

Travis is a goat scrotum. 

I have now retired from my journalism career.

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!