Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Carlos Hyde vs. Beanie Wells: By the Numbers

BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture
August 4, 2014 at 10:31am
88 Comments

I'm a young man of 17 years old therefore I did not personally witness the greatness of legendary OSU backs such as Archie or Eddie. But in my time I have seen 2 dominant backs in Beanie and El Guapo. So the question i'm presenting to you is, if you were a coach and could take 1 of these backs for your team, who would you take? I will compare them below:

The Measurables (at NFL Combine) 1. Beanie Wells: 4.59 40 time, 33.5 Vert, 6'1, 235 lbs. 2. Carlos Hyde: 4.66 40 time, 34.5 Vert, 6'0, 230 lbs.

The Statistics 1. Beanie Wells: 585 attempts for 3,382 yards and 30 TDs with a career average of 5.8ypc over his 3 year career from 2006-2008 (declared for draft after his Junior year, and was drafted 31st overall by the Cardinals in the 2009 NFL draft). Only 84 receiving yards on 15 rec in his career. Also important to note was Beanie's proficiency against TTUN, setting a record for must rushing yards by a Buckeye against them with 222 in his Sophomore year (later eclipsed by Hyde's 226 in the 2013 game). In his 3 games against them (3-0), Beanie ran for 412 yards and 4 TDs averaging 6.98ypc.   2. Carlos Hyde: 523 attempts for 3,198 yards and 37 TDs with a career average of 6.1ypc over his 4 year career from 2010-2013 (played in 41 games in his career and was drafted 57th overall by the 49ers in the 2014 NFL draft. *It's important to note that the value of RBs in the draft decreased significantly from 2009-2014 (no RBs drafted in 1st round of NFL draft since 2012). Hyde had 271 receiving yards on 34 receptions for 4 TDs over his career. In his 4 (did not play in the 2011 loss to scUM) games against TTUN (3-1), Hyde had 54 carries for 376 and 2 TDs averaging 6.96ypc.

So, based on the information above, who would you take as the RB of your team? Beanie or Carlos? 

EDITORS NOTE: Please comment who you'd take but this is also my 1st forum topic post so i'd appreciate some feedback as well. Such as, is it too long? What other info could I have provided? Critiques? Also, let me know if you'd like me to do this similar thing comparing other players at other positions. Thanks :D

+7 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

Thanks for the forum post! Interesting debate.

My only suggestion would be that the type of information that you presented could have been much more effective in a table. Each statistic as it's own row along with two columns, one each for Beanie and Hyde, for quick number comparisons.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+7 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

This is what I was going to say as well... Or at least put some paragraph spaces in there. It will be easier to read.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+3 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Please comment who you'd take but this is also my 1st forum topic post so i'd appreciate some feedback as well. Such as, is it too long? What other info could I have provided? Critiques?

Placing your points in a table format rather than part of one giant paragraph makes them easier to grok.

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

I didn't even read the post because it was one blob of text.

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

-1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

You've raised an interesting comparison, along with providing the vital stats/details. Appreciate the contribution, BGFL.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+4 HS
Him1stftballl8er's picture

I would take Carlos because he seemed to be more durable. 

The wise shall inherit glory, but shame shall be the promotion of fools. 

BroJim's picture

Hyde! Wells could not stay healthy and always needed help up after the play.

I season my simple food with hunger

+6 HS

Very true. Wells was out of the NFL after 4 years due to injury.

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

I don't think there is much discernible difference between the two in terms of talent. Probably would have to go with Carlos for durability reasons.

buckeyebobcat

+6 HS
TheAFBuckeye's picture

I'll take Carlos. He was unstoppable last year. If I could have senior year Carlos all day every day I would take it.

Let's Go BUCKEYES!!!!!

+5 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Carlos for durablity reasons.  But I still laugh out loud everytime I watch a highlight with Beanie stiff arming someone.  Greatest stiff arm ever.  He didnt just keep them at arms length, they bounced off like they ran into a trampoline.  Hilarious.

+6 HS
CC's picture

I think TP had the best stiff arm.  There is a great image of him stiff arming an Oregon player in the Rose Bowl.  TP was giving the stiff arm from another zip code.

+2 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

TP's was great but I don't remember people bouncing off of him like they were standing still and TP just shoved them down hard.  Beanie was like that. Perhaps his should be labeled most powerful stiff arm.

Those two should join forces making money on how to deliver a stiff arm.

+2 HS
CC's picture

I agree.  Beanie delivered with force, TP just put that arm out there and the guys couldn't grab him.

CC's picture

Bingo.  Thanks.

I'd pick Beanie. Dominant in rivalry games and he is faster. Was one of my favorite players to watch in the last 10 years.

+1 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

IMO Carlos has better game speed. He can get north and south faster because his movements are so quick and his acceleration is amazing for how big he is.

You don't need to be 40 yards fast as a running back (most of the time). You need to be 10 yards in a crowd fast.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

ITWASME's picture

Beanie Wells all day! I feel like he would have been better than Hyde in this offense. The guy was just a threat to take it to the house every time and was pretty much guaranteed to break a tackle or two

+2 HS
BrutusBuckey3's picture

I'm 17 as well so I'm glad to see someone else joining me in the young ranks!! Great post, but I would take Beanie. From jumping people, to stiff-arming the life out of them...Beanie is the man. That performance in the 07 scUM game was incredible. Plus, that long run as a frosh in 06 v. scUM solidified him as legend. I would have loved to have seen what we would have done to USC in 08 if he was healthy, and what we wod have done in 09 of he would have returned. 

+4 HS
BAR43's picture

Tough choice... I think I liked Beanie being a bit flashier and quicker than Hyde... at the same time I think Hyde only have like 2 or 3 carriers for loss of yardage last season which is just insane. Couple that with durability and I would have to say i'd go with Hyde.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

It's not a tough choice for me at all. I'm taking Beanie every single time.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
rkylet83's picture

I would go with Hyde.  He's a more complete player.  He isn't as physically talented as Beanie, but his durability, toughness and balance put him over for me.

In all fairness I would be interested to see what Beanie could have done with the 2013 offensive line.  I remember a lot of time Beanie was met by defenders behind the line.

+4 HS
droessl's picture

One thing to note: Beanie seemingly had to avoid the first tackle 3 yards in the backfield, whereas Hyde was 3 yards into the D before having to make guys miss.  

Like Rkylet83 said, seeing Beanie w/the 2013 O-line couldve been amazing. 

+2 HS
Jbucks's picture

not a tough choice for me either.... i take Beanie with the 31st pick and Hyde with the 57th pick and run over everyone!!! but since i gotta choose 1 im going to go with Hyde simply because i believe he did carry this team on his back and i praise him for all the hard work he put in

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

Hyde simply because i believe he did carry this team on his back

I think people forget how much easier having Braxton made things for Hyde. Back in '07, Beanie carried Ohio State.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
Becool12's picture

Well, if you are purely considering talent, then Beanie. Beanie was one of the most talented backs of the decade in my opinion. But productivity would have to be Hyde. Beanie was injured way too much and wasn't really a receiving threat if I can remember correctly.

BuckGnome's picture

Beanie.  Imagine him running behind an Ed Warrinner-coached offensive line ..... Holy Mother of God!!!

+1 HS
GreatLakesBeer's picture

Hyde by a landslide.I have this argument all this time with all the talent wells had he never had the heart and drive of Hyde. Yes Wells did have big games against TTUN but so did Hyde.

If you will it dude, it is no dream

Citrus's picture

I'd take El Guapo. He would crush souls and hopes with the way he ran. Couldn't go wrong with either. 

+2 HS
Larryp713's picture

I love Beanie, but I would pick Hyde. Once he became confident, he became a beast that got stronger as the game went on. By the 4th quarter, nobody was stopping him. Beanie, like Clarrett, had the tendency to break down at times late in the game. I see Braxton do this as well. It is like those guys don't really go down naturally, and it causes a lot of tweaks and twists on their joints. Maybe Clarrett doesn't belong on this list, but Brax and Beanie definitely do. Hyde is just a bull who plows for what he can, goes down naturally, and gets up to deliver more punishment. He is a little more consistent than Beanie was. Great topic, BTW.

Respectfully,

Larryp713

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

Hyde. He's a stud and wore defenses down.

Beanie got hurt taking a handoff.

+1 HS
Beanie got hurt taking a handoff.

So what? He twisted his ankle. He didn't miss 4 or 5 games after it.

Fatpants's picture

I'm not saying he missed 4 or 5 games, I'm just backing up my claim that he got hurt taking a handoff.

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

He missed 3, and the rest of the YSU game. 

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

I was at that game. You could hear a pin drop when he went down.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

Devin1024's picture

I was going to say the same thing.  The stadium could not have been more quiet.

UrbanCulture's picture

would have liked to see what wells could have done behind last years O-line. We saw his O-Lines get demolished by florida and lsu

+1 HS
bakerjon's picture

Hyde by a nose. They are soooo close. But Hyde's balance is remarkable (see insane video below). Also the point made earlier about hardly ever losing yards...that is remarkable for a running back. Yes he had a great OL, but there were times when he was stuffed and still made it back to the LoS at least. He is one tough dude. His brush with the law last year only seemed to make him tougher. I think he learned from that lesson. I don't take kindly to mistreatment of women, and I hope never to see that sort of thing from him again, but on the field at least that incident seemed to make him even stronger knowing what it could have cost him

"It's all ball bearings these days guys"

+2 HS
JLBNYC's picture

Hyde because Beanie screwed up my fantasy football team a couple of years ago!

+2 HS

I'll take Clarett. Next.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+5 HS
BuckeyeVet's picture

Ok. Then I get Archie. Next.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."          - Groucho Marx

+1 HS

Ah yes of course. I was in the mode of players I was around to see. Although I would love to see a healthy discussion on how close Clarett then with his maturity now would come to Archie level with 3 full years. He was some kind of special.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
BuckeyeVet's picture

@Tater - And I'm showing my age!  I feel blessed to have seen Archie when I was in high school. For what it's worth, I think Clarett is the closest thing I've personally seen (in an OSU uniform) to Archie. They both had this shifty almost crab-like subtle lateral step movement and then this instant acceleration. Clarett may have been a little stronger and more willing to hit someone, but dear God, Archie would make you look stupid, grasping at air. I was so disappointed that Clarett didn't get 3 years. Definately think he would have had a Heisman.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."          - Groucho Marx

+1 HS
CC's picture

I would say if healthy for one game I would take Beanie, but if we're asking "who do you want on your team for this season?" I take Hyde.  Hyde delivered the mail, consistant, punishing workhorse.

+3 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

El Guapo.

Wells (while a very good RB) was too soft, IMO.

+3 HS

Soft? Based on what?

-1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

The "Beanie was always injured" trope is one of the most baseless and persistent tropes in Buckeye message board debates. In his sophomore year, and his first as a starter, he carried the ball 274 times.  I'll repeat that, 274 times.  The most carries that Hyde ever had was 208.  In Beanie's junior year he missed three games with a "foot thing" in JT's words and still came back to carry the ball 207 times.  It is also worth noting that Hyde, who's durability is being praised in contrast to Wells, missed two games during his junior season due to an ankle injury and carried the ball only 185 times that year.  Yes, Beanie's injury-riddled pro career has been disappointing, but don't project that backward to what he did as a Buckeye.  The dude was a workhorse, and it's long past time he was recognized as such.

+8 HS
stittracer99's picture

Agreed. Reading these and other posts would make you think that Beanie was made of glass, which just isn't true. Plus, if he would have had his senior year, we'd be talking about the second leading rusher in school history. My vote goes to # 28.

+3 HS
Young_Turk's picture

Oh sweet Jesus thank you for that!  Beanie Wells was a STUD for us.  Beanie in Urban's system and last years line averages 10 ypc and about 25 TD.  

Rob Reese's picture

Wow, tough call.  It's one of those decisions that would cause me to go back-and-forth every other day, second guessing whatever my last choice was.  As of right now, I'd probably lean to Hyde only due to the injury bug with Beanie (in contrast to post above me).

Ask me again tomorrow and I'll probably pick Wells.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

I'd probably lean to Hyde only due to the injury bug with Beanie. 

+2 HS
Curt Heinrichs's picture

Hyde. Beanie was a monster when healthy, but he wasn't always healthy. 

When comparing nicknames, Hyde wins by a landslide, which is coincidentally how both guys ran with the ball. 

Great post for the off-season. 

+2 HS

It's amazing how people have forgotten just how good Wells was while at Ohio State.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Nobody has forgotten how good he was. People were asked to make a choice. Honestly, it's a tough choice, and a matter of taste. People's opinions differ from yours and you jump all over them like they took your firstborn. 

+3 HS

Jump all over them? No. I haven't thrown insults or anything of that nature. I'm trying to understand how people can say Wells was soft and less reliable. It's like the 2007 season never happened.

Ohio State won 3 BigTen titles with Wells. 0 with Hyde.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Hard to say.  I wish I could've seen Beanie run behind an o-line as good as last year's.  Hard to be wrong, though.  I'll say Hyde.

Class of 2010.

+2 HS
apack614's picture

Gotta take Hyde, I mean honestly the guy was a freak his legs never stopped. I don't know the exact number (sorry if someone said this already I've just been skimming) but he was stopped behind the line I think 1 time last year? That is someone who gets the job done game after game.

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
tussey's picture

Wells, he did more with less.  

+4 HS
OSUBias's picture

Beanie tapped his helmet while scrolling through this thread, needing a sub.

Love the Wells stiff arm, but cringing EVERY SINGLE TIME he got tackled is reason enough to take Hyde. Selfishly, he was just less stressful to root for, cuz he was never going to break down.

Shitter's full

+1 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

It's close, you could go either way and be happy that you've got a punishing runner in your backfield. But the difference for me was that stiff arm - it's the most destructive stiff arm I've ever seen in college football.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+4 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

This is very good but I'd like to see something like this done for Pryor.  Best. Stiff. Armed. Buckeye. Ever.

Beanie was amazing.

+1 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

There's a reason you don't see a stiff arm video like this for Pryor: He had a good one, but it wasn't nearly as devastating as Beanie's, nor was it employed to the extent that Beanie's was. I'd say for a QB, Pryor's was the best of all time. But imo, Beanie has the top spot over all.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

robobuck's picture

Best one was when he rolled that 4th grader LSU cornerback

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+1 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

Man sometimes you just forget how truly great a player is over time. I remembered his monstrous power running down the field, but I guess I forgot just how much of a wrecking ball Beanie was. Some of those plays are unbelievable, how he just ragdolls them with his stiff arm. TP's stiff arm was also brilliant, but it was done more in the style of keeping them out of range(he had a looong arms) than the explosiveness of Beanie's stiff arms.

+2 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

Greatest Single Play Stiff Arm play belongs to Greg Jones of Florida State.  

Chris Wells is the winner of the Career Stiff Arm Master.

+1 HS
Buck Crusty's picture

Beanie did have durability issues, and I hate to say it, but he tapped on that helmet a little too often too.... but my lord, was his A game astonishing... A healthy Beanie was one of the most impressive ball carriers I've ever seen in the college ranks. I'm kind of echoing everyone else when I agree that Carlos was more dependable though, and he actually was a bit more of a bruiser IMO. In the end, flip a coin. If you had to choose between them, I'd honestly choose both. Could you imagine letting one of those beasts wear down a defense over the first half, and then putting the other one in fresh in the second? Goose bumps just thinking about it.

+1 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

I think I would take Hyde, but it is such a thin margin that either choice is fine. I think Beanie was a bit more explosive with his running, making so many tacklers miss going for big yardage plays. While Hyde might not be quite that explosive, he was incredibly hard to take down, more reliable in that he always got yards after contact and positive plays, and a better receiver. If he had not missed those games he very well could have finished in the top 5 in Heisman voting given Ohio State's near undefeated season and the fact that he more than likely would have produced enough to get over or be very close to 2000 yards + 22 or so TDs.

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Hyde, without question. Like BroJim above, simply more reliable. 

+2 HS

-2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Beanie was one of the greatest to ever play the position, but that's my opinion. My team, I without question take Hyde. Didn't get as banged up, more reliable, and a better back at getting the tough yard when you need it. Tough call,  but the point of the post was to make a choice. 

+2 HS

People constantly rip on the O-Line during Beanie's era. Despite that, he rushed for over 3000 yards, and 30 TDs.

I don't see how this is even an argument.

ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

Love both, but I guess it depends on the game.  If it's against TSUN, then I'd have to go with Beanie... he would just show out and kill 'em.

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

I like em both but if I had to chose I'd probably select Beanie.  I feel like he played tougher competition overall when he was at tOSU.  Butttt, I do like Hyde.  I'll take both.

+1 HS
Jake321's picture

People keep saying beanie got hurt more than Hyde. Hyde was hurt two games his junior year, and beanie was hurt 3 games junior year. I think people are looking at his pro career and using his injuries there as justification for durability issues. With that said I would take beanie he would have shredded teams in this offense.

+2 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

I would go with Guapo, I wouldn't tell Beanie tho. Beanie was a monster no doubt, but Hyde just that dude. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

Beanie was impressive once he got room. Hyde runs hard and angry. His legs don't stop. 

+1 HS
seafus26's picture

This is tough. Do I have to chose between these 2 great backs? I'd rather chose between lines coached by Bollman and those coached by Warinner and trained by Marotti. Hmmm. It's tough, but I lean towards Beanie if he was playing with a line and teammates receiving the coaching and training mentioned.

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+1 HS
TressesVest's picture

I would have to take Wells. No offense to Hyde as he is a beast and was very fun to watch and reliable for the last 2 years, but he always (almost always) had Braxton as a threat to run from the read option. Granted when TP was there they ran some of it but not almost every play like they have recently. Plus he dragged Todd Boeckman to a NC and almost got them back in the game against LSU. Cant go wrong either way tho

As a lifelong buckeye fan, im boycotting robert smith

Crumb's picture

I hate to beat a dead horse but I've seen situations stop Beanie, in 2013 the only thing that could stop El Guapo was the Buckeyes.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+1 HS
buckskin's picture

Both were great, but I gotta choose Hyde. Wells was a tremendous back, but he was a little soft. I can remember Tressel saying that Beanie needs to learn to play with certain "smaller" injuries and not let them affect his game so much. I think the injury at that time was a hurt toe. Beanie also ran out of bounds at the end of too many plays. Granted, they were mostly 10-20 yard runs, but I want a guy with a Walter Payton like mentality that says I'm going to run you the f*ck over on EVERY down; that's Hyde. If Beanie had that mindset, he would have been up there with Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson. Great question and debate.

Seattle Linga's picture

We are so unique having the ability to produce one stud after another. So many colleges would love to have this duo with EZ about to explode in his sophomore year. It's great to be a Buckeye. 

tgreenbuckeye92's picture

Hyde, I love Beanie but he just couldn't stay healthy. 

HeuermanTheFireman's picture

You can run but you can't Hyde.

For his quickness and the fact that he almost never went backwards after being hit. 

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

hit_the_couch's picture

Gotta go with Hyde since Beanie always had his turf toe issues. I hope that Hyde will be a stud soon. Frank Gore is going on his 10th season and that is entirely too long for a RB to play.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!